Alice's Band Mates: An Appreciation

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice's Band Mates: An Appreciation

Post by Dannorama » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:31 pm

If they come anywhere near Charlotte, I'm in. I'll be in anyways, but I'd be EXTRA IN for an OG show.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:07 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:55 pm
Nita brings so much to the show and has brought Alice publicity for quite a while. When you attend Alice's shows next to the Coop, she usually gets the second loudest round of applause.

I think what people lose perspective of is the hired gun. They work under a contract and depending on the artist some don't make a ton of money and basically work with a small salary, per diem, etc. Alice, I have heard pays better than many and that helps with continuity as well as the fact all of them are good friends who enjoy working with one another.

That being said, a hired gun is like a Free Agent in Sports, if they receive a better offer they have to at least consider it. In the case of the Demi Lovato situation, Nita never really left the band she went on hiatus. Lovato wanted to go in more of a rock direction and hire an all female backing band with the intention of taking a break after the recent tour. Nita spoke to Alice with his blessing and tried something different that was always going to be temporary. In all likelihood, she was paid more money (and let's fact it you and I would take it too) and an opportunity to do something different for a while.

We all need to remember that the true artist likes to create and when you have a chance to do something different and be successful, would you not at least consider it? And in terms of her solo career, her first album did fairly well on the charts for what that is worth, and now with her second album she has had a couple of modern singles that have done extremely well. She is the one member of Alice's band who has had some solo success. I love Ryan Roxie's last solo album and some of his other projects, I LOVE the Beasto Blanco albums that Chuck has done and I like forward to hearing more of Tommy's Crossbone Skully project but Alice is likely to be the biggest band the others are in and that is no disrespect to them. They are amazing people and amazing players but when you are in your mid 50's or older than finding lightning in a bottle becomes less likely because of the nature of the business. However, let's say the next Beasto Blanco album became a huge massive hit. Would Chuck probably focus on that band? Of course, he would because that would be his opportunity at doing HIS project, HIS way, and it being his material as opposed to someone else's vision.

As far as being a hired gun, to put it another way if Taylor Swift came calling wanting any member of Alice's band to play for her in front of stadium crowds of 60,000 people, you think any of them aren't taking it? We all would and I would wish them well. It comes down to opportunity.

And Del hit on something important. At this stage in Alice's career he needs to keep the band intact as well as he can. I know some people still live in the 70's but the bottom line is let's say the original band reunited for a full length tour. That means no Poison or Feed My Frankenstein which does matter to some fans especially the casual fan who has always seen Alice as a solo artist (know plenty of them) and you have a band of all 70 plus members. Even when the original guys played a few songs four or five years ago, while the songs sounded good enough, there was not as much energy outside of Dennis. It was an era in time but that era has passed.
I’d be quite happy with no Poison or Frankenstein. Sure , the energy would drop, but after decades of live solo shows, I’d take a couple of small theatre shows with the OG’s with no theatrics, even with increased prices to make up for the smaller size venues. Great promotion for the upcoming album. Throw in a few old chestnuts and obviously the hits. Make an old fart happy that 😉
I understand that definitely but you see the issue is you lose someone like me. I like the original band but I love other eras just as much and some even more. I have heard the 70s stuff enough that a tour with nothing but original band material or even original band material and 70s Alice solo stuff doesn't appeal to me. I want to hear more modern stuff as well. If a tour like that were to occur, I would be out. I respect those who would want to see that but I wouldn't be one of them. To be honest, even with today's shows with the current band I go mostly to hear a couple of deep tracks I either have never heard live or maybe on only one tour. Eighteen, School's Out, etc heard so often, I could do without it. The question is how many others would a tour like that lose.

I actually think six months dedicated to Hollywood Vampires stuff with a full US and Canada tour is where the big money is at.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:00 pm

i do love the original band and i would go and see them should they do a tour or split tour (whatever the situation is) but i remember them at wembley from a few years ago and it wasnt good. MB was very sloppy and static, dennis was entertaining and neal was great as ever but the energy certainly dipped considerably. I didnt even notice any enthusiasm from alice regarding it.
When watching the astroturf live stuff Alice did seem to be enjoying himself but i didn't notice any of that at Wembley.

I mean if this new band album is the best thing ever maybe i will be excited but currently i wouldn't be excited to see the OG band at all. No slight on dennis or neal, they are both great but i think the current band are smashing it and anything else would be a step down.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:36 pm

I understand that, but I suppose you gotta have been around when the originals were breaking all kinds of records and releasing classic after classic for a couple of years. It has a lasting effect . I saw The BSB’s band live in Connecticut about 4-5 years ago….No complaints from me. Just to see them do Black Juju was enough for this old fart

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:09 pm

I adored the Astroturf show, and if the OG got together for a few shows in smaller, mid-sized venues, a more intimate setting, I'd love that, I could die a happy man seeing that.

As for the set list, he wouldn't lose me "just" because he left out some songs that have been played to death live. And unless he put together a set of my least favorites (Ubangi Stomp, Stand, etc) I'm down for anything different. I like his music, not just a handful here and there, and I'd be happy even if he wanted to substitute the traditional ones, for deep cuts, like Scarlet and Sheba.

And I don't really get Bob (er, Shep's) take on doing My Stars... unless there been a sudden influx of new teenage fans, I'd think most of us old timers, us long time die-hards, are going to be able to handle My Stars in full. Or near anything for that matter - heck, I'd be thrilled to hear "Fields of Regret" live, or "Serious". If it's a good Alice song, and it's something surprising in concert, why not shake things up.

I can take, it, I'm still buying and (for the most part) enjoying your music, Alice.
Last edited by Agrophile in Texas on Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:33 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:09 pm
And I don't really get Bob's take on doing My Stars...
Shep's. NOT Bob.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:48 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:33 pm
Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:09 pm
And I don't really get Bob's take on doing My Stars...
Shep's. NOT Bob.
Okay, okay, you don't have to yell ;) Sorry Bob n' Shep, for getting members of the brain trust mixed up.

grim facts
Trash
Trash

Post by grim facts » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:48 am

As shallow as this comment may be, Glen Sobel just doesn't look like a rocker to me.

And that's not taking anything away from his astounding skill behind the drum kit. Truly amazing!

And I have thoroughly enjoyed his playing, live.

Now bring back Eric! :grin:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:21 pm

grim facts wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:48 am
As shallow as this comment may be, Glen Sobel just doesn't look like a rocker to me.

And that's not taking anything away from his astounding skill behind the drum kit. Truly amazing!

Maybe he should borrow nita's leather pants!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:24 pm

Leather pants
Make em all stare
Kick the bass drum
Bang on the snare

Stealing the show
It just isn't fair
I need leather pants
And start flippin my hair

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:57 pm

grim facts wrote:

If you want him to be more like Eric then he should just get a black wig, put on Peter Criss's makeup, and learn how to fake playing a piano during an encore !

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:34 am

So far, from the current band we have mentioned Nita, Ryan, Chuck and Glen but no Tommy. Interesting that he seems to have really got into the fabric of Alice’s world but isn’t mentioned, either as a player or contributor.

Thoughts?

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:07 pm

del wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:34 am
So far, from the current band we have mentioned Nita, Ryan, Chuck and Glen but no Tommy. Interesting that he seems to have really got into the fabric of Alice’s world but isn’t mentioned, either as a player or contributor.

Thoughts?
He’s a nice guy who gets the job done. Is he the best? Not really, at least in my opinion, but he is a strong player and musician. Probably to Alice he’s even more valuable than all the others, except maybe Chuck, as he is some kind of a Jack of all trades (hope I got this expression right LOL).
The problem is always the same, Jack of all trades, master of none.

What most people don’t realize, though, is that being a good musician IS being able to play like that, he may be in the shadows but as Alice has aways said, he’s the backbone of the band.
This have probably changed now as them toured togheter a lot more, but in 2016, when I got the chance to see HV live, he was the glue holding it all togheter, it was their 4th ou 5th show only, and without a doubt he was carrying most ot the songs. Johnny and Joe are great players, but without Tommy they would be all over the place.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:22 pm

Prakash John is pretty nifty.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:38 am

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy is a decent song writer but i dont think he is great. Most of his tunes are quite middling. Some good ones for sure but the batting average isnt great. He is a good rhythm player and obviously helps out vocally.
He is always entertaining but he is unremarkable. I appreciate why Alice finds him so valuable (being a solid all rounder) but he is never going to be top tier.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:17 pm

I don't know if any of you have heard any of Tommy's new Crossbone Skully stuff or not, but it is great hard rocking stuff. I realize many Alice fans (not intended as a criticism) are stuck on the 70's sound but for those who are not, it rocks.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:48 am

I’m enjoying Crossbone Skully. Lots of AC/DC in there plus a fair bit of love for a whole range of bands, including Def Leppard. Nothing ground breaking but it’s engaging, has energy and it’s strong overall for me.

Is that not the thing about Tommy though? Very enthusiastic, very capable, likeable personality, a good learner and overall he is someone who actually provides real strength to the fabric of the band and of HV too?

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:21 pm
grim facts wrote:
Maybe he should borrow nita's leather pants!
In case you've missed it, the full Vid of Victorious featuring Dorothy "Live"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOlLU8jm-bg
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:00 pm

I thought that performance was pretty cool. I like that song allot anyway and nitas' enthusiasm always helps sell things.
not a massive fan of the crossbone skully from what i heard. Just average rock. not bad, just not great.