Alice Cooper "The Only Two People In The World Who Understand "Alice Cooper" The Character Are BOB EZRIN And Myself"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Alice Cooper "The Only Two People In The World Who Understand "Alice Cooper" The Character Are BOB EZRIN And Myself"

Post by Lucius Morthem » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:41 pm

What about many, many, many people

I think this is a way of trying to force a fan approval on Ezrin.

Maybe, he means "understanding Alice today" which is more like a comedy character instead of the androgynous societal shocker of before

Still, an exagerated statement that shouldn't have been said out loud in my opinion (yet, who I am?)

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Alice Cooper "The Only Two People In The World Who Understand "Alice Cooper" The Character Are BOB EZRIN And Myself"

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 pm

If Alice's statement is meant to suggest that Alice and Bob are the most important components of the Alice Cooper character, historically I would consider that to be inaccurate. The entire ACG as well as arguably Shep Gordon, maybe Frank Zappa, Joe Greenberg and possibly others could be considered almost equally, if not equally as important.

Ted

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:20 pm

I could be misremembering, but I'm sure Alice has talked about this in the past, in relation to vocals and lyrics. He thinks that Bob has great insight into how the Alice Cooper character should be presented, and how he should approach and deliver certain lines, melodies etc when recording. Don't know if it is an allusion to that more than anything.

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:06 am

Ezrin only worked on 3 Alice albums between "Billion Dollar Babies" and "W2MN" in 2011. He produced "Welcome to My Nightmare," "Alice Cooper goes to Hell", and he was the executive producer of "Brutal Planet."

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 am

Lace and whiskey and the Alice cooper show also

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Lace and Whiskey and Dada were horrible albums.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:07 pm
I would apply that appraisal to The Alice Cooper Show album as well.

Ted

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Bob ezrin is a producer who gets Alice/vince, he knows how to get the best takes out of him, where to take a musical direction and how to produce an amazing record. He was instrumental in getting the alice cooper sound to be actually good and commercially viable with LITD (and the next 3 releases and the sound went bad and commercial viability disapeared with muscle of love) , he was one of the architects behind alice breaking away to solo success with welcome to my nightmare and go to hell, he brought alice back to commercial relevance with W2MN, Paranormal and Detroit stories.
Other people clearly "get" alice but i would bet considerable money that no one works better with alice/vince and no one can predict what alice/vince want to do musically without him having to say so.
It doesnt forget the ACG. But Ezrin created the sound he molded the band to sound how they sound. Bob ezrin is a legend.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:08 am

The "Alice Cooper Show" was definitely a "Bridge".
A contractual album to get to the next Studio release.
So, who's fault is it that they didn't capture a stellar performance?
I enjoyed the direction he took w/"Lace & Whiskey".
It didn't work but, an effort that provided about a half an Lp of "Alice" material.
I only like a couple of cuts from "DaDa"
Please, don't discount Ezrin's contribution.
Nor Shep's
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:37 am

No big deal to me. In the first place, he is talking about Alice the man not the group. You may then think this is an insult to the original guys but I don’t think so at all as this memoir is about one person and his memories.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Bob Ezrin has had more involvement in recording with Alice than anyone else over the years and Alice must have referenced Bob’s importance to him a thousand times before. In a way it would be a bit weird if he didn’t have this view.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Rock10 wrote:
Respectfully disagree. Lace and Whiskey has its moments and Dada is a masterpiece. One of my favorite Alice albums.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:19 pm

It's easy to understand some folks hurt and anger over this statement. However, there is an entire story behind the scenes that nobody here understands. As I see it, Alice has evolved from the sneering punk who once drank his own spit onstage. (See "Prime Cuts" for the visual evidence.) With that evolution, professionally and personally, Alice has never been alone. Bob seems to be one of the true constants in that progress. Alice has frequently credited Bob for his guidance, even when Bob wasn't officially listed as a contributor. We've seen over fifty years worth of growth and change in the character since his creation. I think that this is a fair statement.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:24 pm

I swear, some of you are the best enablers I have seen. You are able to spin ANYTHING Alice utters into a positive statement, or at least whitewash it in his favor. In your eyes, he makes no mistakes and does no wrong. (I await the day Alice mumbles that his fans are all idiots....and you guys attempt your PR spin on that. LOL)
What you want and what you get are two different things

Rock10
Killer
Killer

Post by Rock10 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:13 pm
Rock10 wrote:
Respectfully disagree. Lace and Whiskey has its moments and Dada is a masterpiece. One of my favorite Alice albums.
But he doesn't play any songs from those albums live. I don't even like "Goes to Hell."

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:35 pm

I swear, some of you are the best enablers I have seen. You are able to spin ANYTHING Alice utters into a positive statement, or at least whitewash it in his favor. In your eyes, he makes no mistakes and does no wrong. (I await the day Alice mumbles that his fans are all idiots....and you guys attempt your PR spin on that. LOL)
Not quite sure what you mean, alice made a simple statement that is undeniably true. The original ACG were obviously important no one is saying different but the ACG ended by 1974 and bob ezrin has been important through the years whether doing albums or not. for instance he was heavily behind alice using kane roberts and helped with the tryout process etc. Whom aside from alice has been such a big thing in the life and crimes of alice cooper?
Shep gorden is a manager , he could care less about the in and out of the music and or character. His job is to essentially sell whatever alices comes up with and of course i am sure he has input and will suggest things and what have you but no one has had the input like Bob has. That isnt PR spin it is fact. I get you love the ACG , thats cool but no one is slagging them off or putting them down.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Cold Room wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:24 pm
No whitewash here. Why shouldn’t someone praise a person who has contributed significantly to about half of his recorded material?

If you think someone else knows the character of Alice better then fine - who is it?

Think you are reading this with set opinion i.e. unless every reflection includes the full list of people in the correct order it’s a slight on the original group members.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:34 pm

del wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm
Cold Room wrote:
No whitewash here. Why shouldn’t someone praise a person who has contributed significantly to about half of his recorded material?

If you think someone else knows the character of Alice better then fine - who is it?

Think you are reading this with set opinion i.e. unless every reflection includes the full list of people in the correct order it’s a slight on the original group members.
DENNIS DUNAWAY....for starters. Why not ask him for his opinion on the other forum? :evil:
What you want and what you get are two different things

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:10 am

Cold Room wrote:
Sorry CR, it just may be that these "enabler's" don't recognize where you come from (GB). Not a bad angle but one that provides a different perspective. Yes, many questions can be posed to Dr. Dreary & for the most he has responded.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...