A few questions from a friend

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

A few questions from a friend

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:30 pm

Hello Mr. Dunaway !

I'm Christophe, fan of the ACG since I bought a copy of 1974's Greatest hits in late 1987 as a sweet sixteen :grin:

I'll soon submit to you some questions from me, but for now I'd like to ask questions coming from my friend Jacques, ACG fan since late 1977 after having heard "Killer" from a friend's tape back then (who told him that it was 'some guy with make-up on', first leading my friend to wonder if it was Bowie)... my friend doesn't speak english so I'll act as a translator on his behalf.

Jacques thanks you very much - and as for me, I will recontact you soon !

1 - What were your musical influences ?
2- What has your experience with members of the Blue Oyster Cult brought you ?
3 - What kind of music do you listen to today ?
4 - Of all the bass parts you composed for the ACG, is there one you like in particular ?
5 - Did you compose all of the bass parts, or were some of them suggested by the other guys, through 'humming' or singing ?
6 - Do you like comic books ? Were there one comic book series or comic book character you liked ?
7 - Do you have favorite authors ?
8 - What is your favorite movie ?
9 - Who is your favorite painter ? (I guess I know the answer to that one, but I could be mistaken...)
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: A few questions from a friend

Post by Dreary » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:30 am

1. Beatles, Rolling Stones, Yardbirds.
2. Blue Coupe have created three albums, played lots of shows, made music videos, and continue to have fun. We've spent years together so I've learned a lot about the BÖC lyrical mystique.
3. As always, I listen to all kinds of music, but I spend most of my time writing new songs. I like an Icelandic band called DIMMA. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYbgustYiE
4. My bass parts are designed to suit each song so it's hard to compare them. I guess I'll go with "Halo of Flies" although "Billion Dollar Babies" is up there.
5. Michael Bruce wrote most of the bass part for the "Muscle of Love" song. Bob Ezrin wrote most of the "Second Coming", Jack Richardson helped on "Crazy Little Child" and I did the rest.
6. I was never into comic books. Glen Buxton was. I do like the perspective in the artwork. I like an early comic strip called Little Nemo by Winsor McCay.
7. I love Mary Karr, especially The Liars' Club.
8. Young Frankenstein
9. You might be surprised to know that I love Monet.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 am

Concerning my favorite bass parts, I would rather hear what bass parts your friend likes.
I like my bass part on "Desert Nightwish" but hardly anyone knows of it because it isn't something that I did in the 70's.
Check it out here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJe3Pi ... MM&index=6

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:14 am

Concerning my favorite bass parts, I would rather hear what bass parts your friend likes.
I like my bass part on "Desert Nightwish" but hardly anyone knows of it because it isn't something that I did in the 70's.
Check it out here.
that is a cool track, i just had a disaster 12 hour shift and i sat in my office and listened to that and it made me feel relaxed and cool with things. great track, i gave a cursory glace at amazon to see if i could buy the cd but no dice. will have to investigate later.........

whats the story with the band/track?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:06 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:14 am
Check it out here.
that is a cool track, i just had a disaster 12 hour shift and i sat in my office and listened to that and it made me feel relaxed and cool with things. great track, i gave a cursory glace at amazon to see if i could buy the cd but no dice. will have to investigate later.........

whats the story with the band/track?
We drove all day to north eastern Iceland and up a treacherous narrow winding mountain road to a cabin. The next day Ingo and I sat out on the porch and wrote "Desert Nightwish".
During our long late night drive back to Reykjavik the car broke down. We saw the northern lights. A few hours later, Ingo and Silli's father showed up with hot soup and a tow all the way back to the city. The next morning, we moved all of Ingo's belongings into his new apartment and got everything ready for a party. That night Dimma played an amazing gig, and the following day, without much sleep, we went into the recording studio and recorded our song.

Steven Lee Cooper
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Lee Cooper » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:08 am

Thank you very much Mister D !

Here are my friends favorite DD bass parts :
3. Generation landslide
2. Halo of flies
1. Blue Turk

My friend thanks you very much for your answers and music overall; and as for me, I'll get back to you soon with my own stack of questions. 🙂
Steven Lee Cooper peeks in the forums when he feels really brave....

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 pm

We drove all day to north eastern Iceland and up a treacherous narrow winding mountain road to a cabin. The next day Ingo and I sat out on the porch and wrote "Desert Nightwish".
During our long late night drive back to Reykjavik the car broke down. We saw the northern lights. A few hours later, Ingo and Silli's father showed up with hot soup and a tow all the way back to the city. The next morning, we moved all of Ingo's belongings into his new apartment and got everything ready for a party. That night Dimma played an amazing gig, and the following day, without much sleep, we went into the recording studio and recorded our song.
Dennis, that is a truly awesome story and kinda makes the track even better. what a truly amazing experience. Surely bits like that make all the other bullshit that goes along with the music industry worth it? I need to get hold of this track on something other than youtube! awesome.