Excedrin Headache # 48

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Excedrin Headache # 48

Post by livinluvin72 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:29 am

In the “16 magazine” interview, Alice stated that one of his disappointments was that the band was going to be in a TV ad as Excedrin Headache # 48 but it never got on the air.
How far did this get?
It sounds like something was filmed.
Were you guys famous at the time?
Was the name Alice Cooper going to be used?
What was the premise?
Who was going to get the headache and how?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Excedrin Headache # 48

Post by Dreary » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:29 am
In the “16 magazine” interview, Alice stated that one of his disappointments was that the band was going to be in a TV ad as Excedrin Headache # 48 but it never got on the air.
How far did this get?
What was the premise?
At that time, no company, and I mean NO company, wanted their product to be associated with the Alice Cooper image, which was the basis of the joke. Its just another example of Alice's ironic humor.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 am

Dreary wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 am
livinluvin72 wrote:
How far did this get?
What was the premise?
At that time, no company, and I mean NO company, wanted their product to be associated with the Alice Cooper image, which was the basis of the joke. Its just another example of Alice's ironic humor.
I never repeated the Excedrin headache story to anyone, thank goodness, but I saw Alice’s quote again when I sent you the link to the “16” Magazine and I should have remembered a pact I made with my self years ago to never repeat any story Alice gave in an interview, especially from the early days.
I had repeated another story, that Alice went to great lengths to explain in the 70s, only to find out later that it was pure baloney. (Use nice words). I felt like a fool.
That meant I really cut down on talking to people about Alice Cooper because he was the spokesperson but I couldn’t believe anything he said.
All I felt safe talking about was the music on the albums and when I saw you guys on TV.
I heard him say that he would hear the same questions over and over at press conferences and he would get bored so then he’d just make up stuff to keep himself amused.
We’ll then there’s no point in having an interview since we don’t know what’s made up and what’s real.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 am
Dreary wrote:
livinluvin72 wrote:
How far did this get?
What was the premise?
I never repeated the Excedrin headache story to anyone, thank goodness, but I saw Alice’s quote again when I sent you the link to the “16” Magazine and I should have remembered a pact I made with my self years ago to never repeat any story Alice gave in an interview, especially from the early days.
I had repeated another story, that Alice went to great lengths to explain in the 70s, only to find out later that it was pure baloney. (Use nice words). I felt like a fool.
That meant I really cut down on talking to people about Alice Cooper because he was the spokesperson but I couldn’t believe anything he said.
All I felt safe talking about was the music on the albums and when I saw you guys on TV.
I heard him say that he would hear the same questions over and over at press conferences and he would get bored so then he’d just make up stuff to keep himself amused.
We’ll then there’s no point in having an interview since we don’t know what’s made up and what’s real.
Look at it in the spirit of entertainment. Even when we were in high school, Glen and I would be listening to Vince telling a story, and Glen would say to me, 38, or 40, or 55, or whatever percentage of the story Glen thought was exaggerated. I would say that Vince could make opening a can of tuna fish sound interesting.

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:53 am

Dreary wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 am
livinluvin72 wrote:
Dreary wrote:

Look at it in the spirit of entertainment. Even when we were in high school, Glen and I would be listening to Vince telling a story, and Glen would say to me, 38, or 40, or 55, or whatever percentage of the story Glen thought was exaggerated. I would say that Vince could make opening a can of tuna fish sound interesting.
Reminds me of a character in an episode of Leave It to Beaver, “Uncle Billy”, who had a little trouble with the bottle.
He was Ward Cleaver’s brother.
The Cleavers had to leave town for the weekend but they couldn’t find a baby sitter for the boys, Wally and The Beaver, but Uncle Billy was visiting and offered to look after the boys.
June wasn’t too keen on the idea of leaving the boys with Uncle Billy all alone for the weekend.
Ward said, “June don’t worry about it, he’s harmless."
She said, “The boys might believe all those wild stories Uncle Billy tells them and try to act on them. I’d feel better if you had a talk with the boys about their Uncle Billy”
Ward went up to talk the boys about Uncle Billy.
Beaver: “Dad, so you mean Uncle Billy never advised General MacArthur on how to win the war?”
Wally (Beaver’s big brother): “Of course not you little goof. Uncle Billy just made it up”.
Ward/Dad: “Let’s just say that your Uncle Billy likes to tell stories”. Then Ward leaves, having made his point.
Wally: “Beaver, did you really believe that Uncle Billy told the General how to win the war?”
Beaver: “No I guess not.” But it was fun to think about”.
Wally: “Yeah”.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:12 am

livinluvin72 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:53 am
Dreary wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 am
livinluvin72 wrote:

Reminds me of a character in an episode of Leave It to Beaver, “Uncle Billy”, who had a little trouble with the bottle.
He was Ward Cleaver’s brother.
The Cleavers had to leave town for the weekend but they couldn’t find a baby sitter for the boys, Wally and The Beaver, but Uncle Billy was visiting and offered to look after the boys.
June wasn’t too keen on the idea of leaving the boys with Uncle Billy all alone for the weekend.
Ward said, “June don’t worry about it, he’s harmless."
She said, “The boys might believe all those wild stories Uncle Billy tells them and try to act on them. I’d feel better if you had a talk with the boys about their Uncle Billy”
Ward went up to talk the boys about Uncle Billy.
Beaver: “Dad, so you mean Uncle Billy never advised General MacArthur on how to win the war?”
Wally (Beaver’s big brother): “Of course not you little goof. Uncle Billy just made it up”.
Ward/Dad: “Let’s just say that your Uncle Billy likes to tell stories”. Then Ward leaves, having made his point.
Wally: “Beaver, did you really believe that Uncle Billy told the General how to win the war?”
Beaver: “No I guess not.” But it was fun to think about”.
Wally: “Yeah”.
Right, so June was on to Uncle Billy's BS, but not Eddie Haskell's. Well, I guess Eddie didn't pull the wool over her eyes either.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:09 am

I know you said no one would touch you but what about the Whiplash Mascara? I'm thinking this was still band era if not I apologize.

What do you remember about that? Did it sell well?. Did the profits go to you five or just Alice?

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:18 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:09 am
I know you said no one would touch you but what about the Whiplash Mascara? I'm thinking this was still band era if not I apologize.

What do you remember about that? Did it sell well?. Did the profits go to you five or just Alice?
Whiplash was a handout for rock writers, disc jockeys, and radio station program directors. We also did fortune cookies with special messages inside, and pink bubble gum cigars. We figured if they took those fun novelty items home to their kids, it would be more likely that they would remember to play our record.

Mark Wahlberg
Trash
Trash

Post by Mark Wahlberg » Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm

I wish you recorded your commercials for the Evil Eye Drops. :)

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Mark Wahlberg wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 pm
I wish you recorded your commercials for the Evil Eye Drops. :)
Perhaps a Saturday Night Live skit?