Mike's Van & The Floating ACG

Alice Cooper co-founder and Hall Of Fame inductee Dennis Dunaway answers your questions!

Moderators: Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman, Dreary

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Mike's Van & The Floating ACG

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

While spending the past two days burning brush, one question kept nagging me:
When Mike's van flipped over, were you guys really floating out-of-body, looking at one another? If it's covered in your book, please excuse me asking, as I've been so busy, haven't had time to read it yet. Thanks.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Mike's Van & The Floating ACG

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:24 pm

I've read 'Me, Alice' and if I recall correctly, the 'out of body experience(s)' are mentioned in there. I have Dennis' book which goes into a fair bit of detail about the crash and the immediate aftermath, in which Dennis agrees to sell his car so that the Group can buy another van.

Yet another example of how Mr. Dunaway was so pivotal in the continuing existence of the ACG.

Ted

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:24 pm
I've read 'Me, Alice' and if I recall correctly, the 'out of body experience(s)' are mentioned in there. I have Dennis' book which goes into a fair bit of detail about the crash and the immediate aftermath, in which Dennis agrees to sell his car so that the Group can buy another van.

Yet another example of how Mr. Dunaway was so pivotal in the continuing existence of the ACG.

Ted
And the band promised to pay me back... still waiting!

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Dreary wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 pm
Ted Sallis wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:24 pm

Ted
And the band promised to pay me back... still waiting!
Shocking...especially considering how much money the Group subsequently went on to make in the years to come.

Ted

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Sat May 01, 2021 12:27 am

What was so funny in Dennis’s book is what happened after the roll over. Neal who recently joined the band and recovered from being shot in the ankle by Alice was walking through the debris looking for his other boot when Glen says to him “So how do you like being in the band So far?” I actually bursted out laughing. Such a great line you gotta love it!

livinluvin72
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by livinluvin72 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:09 am

Logan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:27 am
What was so funny in Dennis’s book is what happened after the roll over. Neal who recently joined the band and recovered from being shot in the ankle by Alice was walking through the debris looking for his other boot when Glen says to him “So how do you like being in the band So far?” I actually bursted out laughing. Such a great line you gotta love it!
:rotfl: Glen was hilarious. I'm glad Dennis was able to preserve Glen's witty remarks.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat May 01, 2021 2:26 pm

livinluvin72 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:09 am
Logan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:27 am
:rotfl: Glen was hilarious. I'm glad Dennis was able to preserve Glen's witty remarks.
Don't forget Neal's classic answer, as also quoted in Dennis' book: "First you guys shoot me, then ya try to mangle me. This is my kind of band."

Ted

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 pm

I was regretfully driving the van on that day. I can’t testify to an out of body experience ,but I can testify to an out of van experience. My departure from van involved the seat breaking free and deciding to take me with it through the front windshield. I didn’t have a scratch on me. I was bruised a sore for weeks.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon May 03, 2021 2:20 am

Mike Allen wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:00 pm
I was regretfully driving the van on that day. I can’t testify to an out of body experience ,but I can testify to an out of van experience. My departure from van involved the seat breaking free and deciding to take me with it through the front windshield. I didn’t have a scratch on me. I was bruised a sore for weeks.
Glad to see you here, Mike. Yes, it was a miracle that all seven of us walked away from that accident. It could have been the end of Alice Cooper.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 am

You are right. We were so lucky that nobody was seriously injured or worse. I talked about it with my wife brother whose was a highway patrol officer . He said all the people and loose equipment and no seatbelts except for the people and the tumbling of van and no serious injuries or worse is absolutely amazing.

Mike Allen
Trash
Trash

Post by Mike Allen » Mon May 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Mike Allen wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 am
You are right. We were so lucky that nobody was seriously injured or worse. I talked about it with my wife brother whose was a highway patrol officer . He said all the people and loose equipment and no seatbelts except for the people in the front seats and the tumbling of van and no serious injuries or worse is absolutely amazing.

Dreary
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Dreary » Mon May 03, 2021 4:32 pm

Mike Allen wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Mike Allen wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 am
You are right. We were so lucky that nobody was seriously injured or worse. I talked about it with my wife brother whose was a highway patrol officer . He said all the people and loose equipment and no seatbelts except for the people in the front seats and the tumbling of van and no serious injuries or worse is absolutely amazing.
I woke up just in time to see the car swerve into our lane. There was a dip in the freeway and a fairly sharp curve. Those factors combined with an overloaded truck and the hurried pace of the morning rush hour traffic created the perfect storm for the van to start rolling.