Re: New single - 'Our Love Will Change The World'

Post by Mr. Skull » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:05 am

Great song !

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:29 am

I quite like it. It'll be interesting to see it in the context of the album.
It's also worth noting, that while it's musically pretty much a straight cover quite a fair bit of the lyrics has been changed, the entire second verse is essentially new for example.
Also noticable is that the Outrageous Cherry version has the chorus "Our love will change the world, Into a strange place that we'd all recognize" and Alice has "Our love will change the world, Into a strange place that you won't recognize"
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:23 pm

I played it through a proper system along with the video and it sounds much better. I really like the video. The whole thing has a similar vibe to the sound of A.. That retro sound.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:08 pm

Maybe I'll get used to it somehow.....
Not bad, but no real change from the original and find it hard to believe He couldn't find a better choice for a single.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 pm

I absolutely LOVE IT! What a breath of fresh air! Alice stepping out of the tired old horror schlock with great results.

This reminds me of the "black out" years (my favorite era) where Alice experimented and tried new ideas and sounds and stepped away from the "classic" character. My favorite thing he's done in years!

Also has overtones of 1970s pop which could have fit in on WTMN.

My hats off to you Alice---you still got it! Now please---stretch out some more! What a great song--even if it's a cover.

Also, I enjoyed the video. Not as cheapo as the last one--and had decent visuals.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:57 am

I love it.
Fresh and interesting, Alice's new lyrics are a perfect fit on what was already a great track.
Agree with the post above me, this sounds like something Alice would have done in his black out years.
Big thumbs up from me.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:24 am

Really cant get on with it, i didnt know the original at all (but having heard it cant really see the point as it is very, very similar despite some lyric changes here and there)
It just doesn't sound like Alice - i can barely tell he is singing - it sounds more like a Tommy, Tommy, Tommy song.
After this song i wouldn't be surprised to hear (no more) love at your convenience . urgh!
I am not feeling this new album at all currently.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:33 pm

First, in my opinion, this is not an ''Alice'' album, but an Alice Cooper album, almost a Vincent' album. This is a tribute album to Detroit's music, and Detroit's musicians and to Detroit itself. I can also see a reference to all that Covid situation. As for this song, I didn't know it, so I checked it out, always interresting to discover songs and bands that you don't know, but I didn't like it. Then, I listened to Alice version, didn't like it. But now, with the video, I realised what he did. A catchy happy music, but with pessimistic lyrics, brilliant, I love it. And, it was confirmed to me, when I read a comment from Alice, about this.
And, Mr. Barlow, it is a horror song, has nothing to do with the black-out years, come on, kids with knives and hatchets...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 pm

I don't watch videos when I listen to music. Regardless of the visuals in the video, this has zero ---absolutely zero--connection to his horror character. His delivery, phrasing and overall tone of the song is far from "horror Alice".

Much in the same way his delivery and phrasing on most of "Trash" was a mimic of Bon Jovi and NOT Alice....baaayyyyyybeeeee.

My guess is the horror element in the video is to appeal to the narrowminded fans who only will accept Alice rehashing the same tired old horror schtick routine. That routine is now as scary as Grandpa Munster. It's now nostalgia to the point of parody.

Every time Alice tried to stretch himself out his fans wouldn't accept it. Only if Alice fans had the mindset of Bowie fans we may have gotten more latter day experimentation rather than the tired old themes rehashed over and over again. This new song is my favorite thing he has done since The Last Temptation. It's fresh and Alice needs to do more of it.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:58 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 pm
I don't watch videos when I listen to music. Regardless of the visuals in the video, this has zero ---absolutely zero--connection to his horror character. His delivery, phrasing and overall tone of the song is far from "horror Alice".

Much in the same way his delivery and phrasing on most of "Trash" was a mimic of Bon Jovi and NOT Alice....baaayyyyyybeeeee.

My guess is the horror element in the video is to appeal to the narrowminded fans who only will accept Alice rehashing the same tired old horror schtick routine. That routine is now as scary as Grandpa Munster. It's now nostalgia to the point of parody.

Every time Alice tried to stretch himself out his fans wouldn't accept it. Only if Alice fans had the mindset of Bowie fans we may have gotten more latter day experimentation rather than the tired old themes rehashed over and over again. This new song is my favorite thing he has done since The Last Temptation. It's fresh and Alice needs to do more of it.
Horror Alice persona fans are no more narrow-minded than the fans who despise his ballads or other eras' songs.
There are enough material from Alice to please every fans. You prefer the black-out era, that's fine with me, Mr. Barlow (by the way, I love your name), and yes, ''Fresh Blood'' is a great song.
If ever Alice wants to do another cover songs album, a horror movies theme would be great, featuring, of course, '' The man behind the mask'' and others, like ''Hellraiser'' from Motorhead, etc ... Horror movies are filled with rock music. For now it's Detroit, so I'm waiting to hear the rest of the album, to make my mind about it. And, Mr. Barlow, about the Baaaybeee era, you should watch the '' House of Fire'' video, it starts with an intriguing view of the woods, and then... the house's address.. and what do you see... 13...
A clear reference to Friday the 13th movie, something that you would never see in a "Bon Jovi" video.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Okay this is long and it pains me to even right this because as an Alice diehard I truly love almost everything he has done. But that being said, I try to be objective and I do not like the new song. Yes the original is good and Alice's vocals sound fine on his remake but we are talking about Alice Cooper. This is an album with his name on it. To me all the covers stuff is what Hollywood Vampires is for. The only time I didn't like something in an Alice Cooper show was years back when Alice was doing the Raise the Dead tour and the show had four covers in the middle of it while so many albums were being looked over. I mean it is his business and all but as a fan who owns every album and is a true diehard, I feel I have the right to say the current direction with all the cover songs on this album doesn't work for me.

We now have two singles released of covers. Alice has said he wants to remain competitive with newer bands, etc. This isn't being competitive, I realize people don't buy albums much anymore and it is hard without radio airplay to add many new fans for any older band, but stuff like this definitely isn't going to do it. He has a terrific band who have all put out good to great studio albums etc but they aren't being used.

This sounds frankly like a Partridge Family song. Yes I will buy the new album because I always do but I want to be excited about the album and two singles in I am not. And I am someone who thinks some of Alice's best work has been in the last 20 years (Brutal Planet, The Eyes of Alice Cooper, etc) Also to many people can't get out of the 70's which is long over. I have not cared for the recent songs written by the original band with Alice. That era has long been over and it is way time for Alice to move past that and the fans as well.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 pm

I like the new single. Never heard the original, but I can see why Alice wanted to do it. I am not crazy about the previous single at all. Covers in general do not excite me.

I enjoyed Breadcrumbs but am annoyed by the number of songs that carried over to Detroit Stories. My two favorite tracks on Breadcrumbs were Your Mama Won't Like Me and Chains of Love, both of which are curiously not on this album for whatever reason.

I think Paranormal is probably the peak of late era Alice Cooper. I love that album and still listen regularly, so anything beyond it is a bonus. Considering the number of years between great albums, and Alice's age, we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

I'll always hope that things come together for Alice and we get something great and unexpected. In the meantime, I am trying to be grateful for everything we get.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 pm

cooperrocks.....gotta disagree with the last couple of lines there, imo “When Hell Comes Home” is a masterpiece, my fave track in decades.....but do agree, the new single does sound like a Partridge Family track.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 pm
the same tired old horror schtick routine. That routine is now as scary as Grandpa Munster.
Grandpa Munster might not be scary, but The Munsters is still more entertaining than The Partridge Family. And even if you disagree with that you can't deny Al Lewis could play a better Grandpa Munster than he could have played Keith Partridge.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 am

My two favorite tracks on Breadcrumbs were Your Mama Won't Like Me and Chains of Love
Seriously, i 100% agree, i love his version of your mama wont like me - superb vocals on that song and a great vibe. Yet it is not on the album, i mean id prefer it if none were on the album , but if your including songs off breadcrumbs (which i am sure he said wasnt the case originally but maybe i just misunderstood him) then why not put all of them? you already put all the others you may as well have 2 more tracks. doesnt make sense.

But i have listened to the single several times, i really dont like it. It just sounds like a beatles kinda vibe which i do not like at all. I am fine with experimentation, i appreciate i wont like every experiment (tho i like most of his catalogue - i just wish he would experiment with his own material, not someone elses.
Seems strange. Especially with lock downs etc - he kept saying he was in the studio all the time - so should have excess songs for the album!

trashed
Trash
Trash

Post by trashed » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 am
My two favorite tracks on Breadcrumbs were Your Mama Won't Like Me and Chains of Love
All subjective, but Your Mama Won't Like Me would have to be one of the best covers I've ever heard from Alice. One that I go back to often.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 am

trashed wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:06 am
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:00 am
All subjective, but Your Mama Won't Like Me would have to be one of the best covers I've ever heard from Alice. One that I go back to often.
What about a duet w/Suzi? "Live" maybe when they can tour with the full band????
As far as OLWCTW it's just OK with a Cooper twist. :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:40 am

A week in now and I’m listening to Our Love a couple of times every day. It’s not something I’ve tried to like because it’s Alice and that certainly happened with Breadcrumbs for me. After the initial shock and a couple of plays it stood on its own which is great.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:42 am

Well, not a week really but five days feels like a week to me nowadays..

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 am

Hated it on first listen - 4 or 5 listens later I've grown to like it - very catchy had the lyrics in my head all day