Have you changed your mind?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Have you changed your mind?

Post by dadascot » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:51 am

I have recently gone a bit mental buying vinyls and now have most Alice albums on vinyl. I decided to play every lp in chronological order. Pretties for you straight through to Breadcrumbs. The album I have changed my view on is 'brutal planet'. I really didn't like it at all when it came out. That relentless industrial beat. However I was listening to it in the gym and really got into the lyrics and Alice seemed really sincere in his delivery, so I bought the vinyl the next day. It's really well packaged as well. So the question is 'have you come to reassess any album, either going up or down in your estimation??

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Have you changed your mind?

Post by mestreech » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:36 am

Yes. I liked LACE and WHISKY in the beginning but now not anymore.
The ALONG CAME A SPIDER I never liked and still don't.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 am

I pretty much feel the same about each album now as I did way back when. There may have been a little adjusting one way or the other over the years, but nothing huge. Overall, the whole of the Cooper experience has taken a far back seat in my life just because that's part of aging.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:03 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 am
I pretty much feel the same about each album now as I did way back when. There may have been a little adjusting one way or the other over the years, but nothing huge. Overall, the whole of the Cooper experience has taken a far back seat in my life just because that's part of aging.
Pretties For You has changed a few times for me.First got a copy through the School Days double and just couldn't even start to understand it. Changed my mind around the time of Da Da as that album pushed me hard as a fan and I went backwards to the oldest albums for comfort. Lost and regained it a few times since then, probably more to do with my overall changing tastes in music than anything else.

The only other significant changes have been The Alice Cooper Show which I absolutely hated for probably 30 years but have upgraded to a 5/10 now, and Trash. Initially delighted with Trash, probably more becuuse it had finished the comeback than for the music, but had lost most of it by The Last Temptation.

Always loved Brutal Planet. It felt right at the time and I still go back to several tracks now and get the same vibe.

Tend to share Padre's view to a point. The avid fandom thing diminished greatly in importance as real life developed and family, job etc took over and put music and AC in context a long time ago. It's still been there though but it would be very much a smaller and nostalgia driven thing now if Alice wasn't still active and still putting markers down at different points over what is almost 80% of my life now.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:36 am

del wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:03 am
padre_sliprat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 am

Pretties For You has changed a few times for me.First got a copy through the School Days double and just couldn't even start to understand it. Changed my mind around the time of Da Da as that album pushed me hard as a fan and I went backwards to the oldest albums for comfort. Lost and regained it a few times since then, probably more to do with my overall changing tastes in music than anything else.

The only other significant changes have been The Alice Cooper Show which I absolutely hated for probably 30 years but have upgraded to a 5/10 now, and Trash. Initially delighted with Trash, probably more becuuse it had finished the comeback than for the music, but had lost most of it by The Last Temptation.

Always loved Brutal Planet. It felt right at the time and I still go back to several tracks now and get the same vibe.

Tend to share Padre's view to a point. The avid fandom thing diminished greatly in importance as real life developed and family, job etc took over and put music and AC in context a long time ago. It's still been there though but it would be very much a smaller and nostalgia driven thing now if Alice wasn't still active and still putting markers down at different points over what is almost 80% of my life now.
I heard PFY around 74 or so. Was immediately smitten. Levity Ball sounded so cool to me. I really dug the album package. Alice Cooper Show has always been my favorite live record. After L&W, things slowly faded for me. Ive liked a handful of records since then - FTI, ZIPPER, DADA, BP, EOAC. I've been known to crank up Thrill My Gorilla when going through a car wash just because it seemed the right thing to do...and thats been in the past year (I'm 59). You should try it. It's big fun.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:48 pm

..I'll wait till after Santa's been. New year car wash.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I know what you are saying but Alice has pretty much always been a constant with me. Bowie, zeppelin ac/dc have all drifted in and out. Getting back into vinyl also helped reignite a spark. I got much more into special forces. It has a real energy to it. Goes to hell slipped a little for me. It made me wonder how that and welcome would have sounded with a more punchier rhythm section of neal and Dd.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:04 am

i've learned to like Easy Action more and more and Live and the Whiskey got appreciated as well.
Lace and whiskey : still mixed feelings , (not sure what was going on , musically and in the lyrics, ) but all in all very glad Alice is still busy and touring ( great show in september)
" I hate to repeat myself" (:-)) but ACAS still hasn't got its place ..
you really wouldn't understand..

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:11 pm

For the most part, my views have stayed the same on most of the albums. Still love the ACG lp's over anything else.

LACE AND WHISKEY and the three blackout albums have improved for Me, especially SPECIAL FORCES.

Still don't like HELL, TRASH, THE AC SHOW, EYES, DRAGONTOWN and SPIDER.

As Padre mentioned, real life takes precedence-just turned 58 and sometimes it seems there are just not enough hours in the day to take care of everything. Miss the time in life when I could play music all day.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am

Muscle of Love is possibly the album which has changed least for me. Probably played it a dozen times as soon as I got it when it came out but while I loved half the tracks I just couldn't love the album.

I've tried several times over the years and while some tracks come and go for me the overall feeling is the same, good but a real step down.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:32 pm

del wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am
Muscle of Love is possibly the album which has changed least for me. Probably played it a dozen times as soon as I got it when it came out but while I loved half the tracks I just couldn't love the album.

I've tried several times over the years and while some tracks come and go for me the overall feeling is the same, good but a real step down.
MOL really should have been MB's first solo album. My two cents' worth.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 pm

re;MOL really should have been MB's first solo album. My two cents' worth.
Padre, I like MOL a lot and I liked the Halo of Ice by MB, but I happen to find " In my own way" not that strong..
Do you mean that MOL is basically MB's work ?
you really wouldn't understand..

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:52 pm

I still find MOL to be underrated. My first exposure to Alice was as a child listening to my dad’s copy of GH, so I knew MOL and TL’74, but I first heard the full album years later. When I first heard it, I gave it a chance because I had seen the Fistful concert on MTV or VH1 or something and hearing TL’74 again made me want to check out the album (I also got FTF because the live version was the first time I had heard Clones).

I liked FTF, because I was into punk and new wave, but I loved MOL, because it still sounded like the Alice Cooper that I first grew to love. It is definitely not as strong as the 4 previous albums, but I still prefer it over his solo material.

TLT is the one that has not aged well for me. I liked it so much more than Trash and HS upon it’s release, but now I think it is very middle of the road.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:40 pm

patrick wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 pm
Padre, I like MOL a lot and I liked the Halo of Ice by MB, but I happen to find " In my own way" not that strong..
Yes. It's very much MB, to my ears, anyway. Alice was busy with WTMN (you cant put together a band like that, make the videos, build a stage and choreograph everything and plan a tour like that in a short period of time.) Neal's on about half the record. Dennis doesn't play on Working Up A Sweat (it's finger style and not the same type playing as say the song MOL.) If GB's on the album, it's a couple things on MOL and that sustained guitar note on Woman Machine. Alice doesn't even play harmonica - and it's obvious it's not him on Workin Up A Sweat. Besides the WTMN stuff, they had the winter and South American tour, as well as the GTSYA movie to film. Scattered reply, but my point is in there somewhere.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:00 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:40 pm
patrick wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 pm
Yes. It's very much MB, to my ears, anyway. Alice was busy with WTMN (you cant put together a band like that, make the videos, build a stage and choreograph everything and plan a tour like that in a short period of time.) Neal's on about half the record. Dennis doesn't play on Working Up A Sweat (it's finger style and not the same type playing as say the song MOL.) If GB's on the album, it's a couple things on MOL and that sustained guitar note on Woman Machine. Alice doesn't even play harmonica - and it's obvious it's not him on Workin Up A Sweat. Besides the WTMN stuff, they had the winter and South American tour, as well as the GTSYA movie to film. Scattered reply, but my point is in there somewhere.
As far as most of the catalog my opinion hasn't changed much. PFY & EA have grown on me.
I bought TL '74 as a 45 w/HHA on the flip as my intro to all things AC.
Then came MOL in the most unique packaging that I'd seen up until that point. "Crazy Little Child" is my favorite from the Lp because of it's "Throwback" style. They had used it before & I would find out later that he'd use it again (Always Chasing Rainbows etc.)
Your scattered reply is about where the whole band was at, at that time.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:18 am

I feel about MOL much the same as I do about Paranormal in as much as I like every track but don't really love any. Both are very consistent albums without any real pazzazz. Well having said that I always loved crazy little child. To me it reminds me of blue turk. I dug out my old vinyl copy of MOL and put it on heavy rotation for a while but it slipped back again.
I always felt if the ACG had taken the break and regrouped they would have made an album with the solidity of MOL married to the flash of billion dollar babies. But we will never know.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Crazy Little Child has a great guitar solo, as does Blue Turk.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:02 am

Blue Turk, now there's a great track from a fantastic album.

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:10 pm

I loved Dragontown when it was first released, I was only about 16 when it was, so the louder, heavier, harder the better really, the end of Triggerman, the solo in I just want to be god, the snarl of somewhere in the jungle, loved it!
However, listening to it again the other day it just lacks anything standout, it just sort of came and went, the songs didn’t get much of a live run, there was a medley to open the tour shows and then triggerman at a few shows, that was about it, then it disappeared, I just think if you removed Dragontown from the arsenal nobody would ever notice.
Although, I did/do love the remix of Brutal planet on the Dragontown special edition, does anyone know any background to that? Perhaps it’s for another topic but it’s awesome and I’d love to hear more remixes of the heavy stuff

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:22 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:32 pm
MOL really should have been MB's first solo album. My two cents' worth.
Although I consider MOL to be far superior to Michael Bruce's solo album (In My Own Way), I believe the ACG's last studio album stands much better as a Group album than as a potential solo release. The songs on MOL while a departure from the Group's style are still closer to what they had been producing prior to that album than MB's solo material, which probably not even hard-core ACG fans would recognize if they didn't know who it was.

Ted