Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Dragon town revisited

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 pm

del wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 am
Another strong set which I would pay a small fortune to see.

A 59 year old would be the second vote for a residency but I doubt we would get much further. I do though think a viable option would be a 3-4 night residency in a few major cities where support is strong. Sure, it wouldn't pay so well as a night in an arena but 3-4 nights in a smaller venue each covering a different period would work even if it had to include a mini set of standards at the end.

The point though is that there is actually a strong catalogue of songs after 2000 it's just that you have to look a bit harder than the early 70s. Dragontown is perhaps the best example, not the strongest overall but one where you would still pick out a couple.

Ultimately I would always argue that this phase of the career is far from the waste of time that some have implied over the last few years.
We can dream, Del.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm

I'd probably rank DT in the mid-lower tier of the Alice catalogue. I tend to prefer it to BP. It has a bit of a looser, more rock n roll feel to me, whereas BP felt more mechanical. DT is like the run down, depraved inner city to BP's industrial wasteland.

My highlights would be "Triggerman" (great solo at the end), "Somewhere in the Jungle", "Sister Sara" (love the choruses on these two) and "It's Much Too Late" (feels like the most 'traditional' AC song on the record).

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am

his post 2000 career has been good if patchy for me.
Top 25 songs would be
1 - Brutal Planet
2 - Pick up the bones
3 - Cold machines
4 - Wicked young man
5 - Deeper
6 - Triggerman
7 - Dragontown
8 - Sex, death and money
9 - Spirits rebellious
10 - Love should never feel like this
11 - I'm so Angry
12 - Dirty Diamonds
13 - Along Came a spider
14 - Catch me if you can
15 - Caffeine
16 - Under the bed (seriously the most criminally overlooked song in his history? why was this missed off the record!?!?)
17 - Dunaway ....I mean, Runaway train
18 - When Hell comes home
19 - What baby wants
20 - I am Made of you
21 - Dead Flies
22 - Paranoiac Personality
23 - Dynamite Road
24 - Genuine American Girl
25 - Paranormal

And no dirty diamonds just doesn't do much for me as an album.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 pm

As a 60 year old, gotta go with the ACG albums, but would take all these lists as a live set over the last few tours 👍

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 pm
As a 60 year old, gotta go with the ACG albums, but would take all these lists as a live set over the last few tours 👍
If I had my way, they'd tour the first two records indefinitely...but that aint gonna happen. They're gonna go with the formula which works for them - and honestly, nobody would turn a career into a money losing venture if they can avoid it.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Since we're throwing out top 25 songs from 2000 onwards, here's mine...

Cold Machines
---
Triggerman
It's Much Too Late
---
Novocaine
Spirits Rebellious
This House Is Haunted
Love Should Never Feel Like This
The Song That Didn't Rhyme
---
Woman of Mass Distraction
Perfect
You Make Me Wanna
Sunset Babies
Run Down the Devil
Six Hours
Zombie Dance
---
Salvation
---
I Am Made of You
Caffeine
A Runaway Train
Last Man on Earth
I'll Bite Your Face Off
When Hell Comes Home
---
Fireball
Paranoiac Personality
Genuine American Girl

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm
If I had my way, they'd tour the first two records indefinitely...but that aint gonna happen. They're gonna go with the formula which works for them - and honestly, nobody would turn a career into a money losing venture if they can avoid it.
Padre, you mean PFY and Easy Action (you would have a very select public indeed and surely money losing venture) or the first two albums of 2000 on ? (just kidding)
In fact, apart from a minor change here and there (much appreciated however), the touring setlist is almost indefinitely the same over the last decade.. That's why the setlists here proposed sound so refreshing, and certainly not only the "deep cuts"..
you really wouldn't understand..

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm

patrick wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am
padre_sliprat wrote:
Padre, you mean PFY and Easy Action (you would have a very select public indeed and surely money losing venture) or the first two albums of 2000 on ? (just kidding)
In fact, apart from a minor change here and there (much appreciated however), the touring setlist is almost indefinitely the same over the last decade.. That's why the setlists here proposed sound so refreshing, and certainly not only the "deep cuts"..
Yeah, Patrick, I meant PFY and EA. :D Every fan has their favorites, so no two desired setlists would ever be the same. To answer this problem, I propose the '25 hour concert', where every song gets played and every stage set is brought back. Surely that's not asking too much.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Imagine him doing a theatre run of a few dates, where he played the Brutal Planet and onwards albums. Two albums each night.

Think of the live package that could follow!

I think cheap trick did something similar..

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm
patrick wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am
padre_sliprat wrote:

Yeah, Patrick, I meant PFY and EA. :D Every fan has their favorites, so no two desired setlists would ever be the same. To answer this problem, I propose the '25 hour concert', where every song gets played and every stage set is brought back. Surely that's not asking too much.
Shep could sell it as a telethon. Have fans call in with pledges of where to go next! :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 am
Shep could sell it as a telethon. Have fans call in with pledges of where to go next! :grin:
There ya go!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Dragontown is my least favorite Alice album, but it still gets a few spins here and there. While most songs on DT are decent, good even, one song in particular (which won't be mentioned) drags this entire release down into subpar territory. Only a really bad song can affect a whole album's quality, and this album has such a song. Clown shoes.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...