Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Re: Your biggest disappointment in Alice's career

Post by Loomis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 am

My biggest disappointment is that eight bucks no longer buys a folding chair. It doesn't even buy a CD now.
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 am

>My biggest disappointment is that eight bucks no longer buys a folding chair. It doesn't even buy a CD now.

That isn't Alice's fault obviously (and I'm not saying that that's what your saying). Funnily enough, when tickets for "The Nightmare Returns" tour in 1986 went on sale, he was amazed what the prices were at that time (he was so out of the game, in more ways than one, that he had no idea what the standard prices were).

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sun May 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Biggest disappointment? The release of "Poison" and "Trash". Easily..

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun May 25, 2014 7:06 pm

But where would Alice be today without that record? I think people underestimate how important it was for him then and up to this present day.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 pm

I guess that's a fair point. However, I do believe The Nightmare Returns and Live In The Flesh tours were both hugely successful and completely sold out?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sun May 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Constrictor, hands down, along with the cheap heavy metal image that went along with it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun May 25, 2014 10:28 pm

>However, I do believe The Nightmare Returns and Live In The Flesh tours were both hugely successful and completely sold out?

Yes but the albums they were supposed to be promoting were not as successful as "Trash" was.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun May 25, 2014 10:46 pm

ACAS, I think RYFAY is a worse album but the marketing and hype for ACAS was so well done that I believe if the album was of a higher standard it would have done really well. I still remember putting it on for the first time and feeling my heart sink!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun May 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Along Came A Spider

By a country mile

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun May 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Along Came A Spider

By a country mile
Yep.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon May 26, 2014 12:53 am

(No More) Love At Your Convenience

There is nothing that can even come close to reaching the realms of it's embarrassing awfulness.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Mon May 26, 2014 1:40 am

I would say ACAS. I was really excited about it when it came out but then after time, I just wasn't listening to it anymore.

I disagree that RYFAY is a worse flop than ACAS. As I've said many times, that album truly captures the Alice Cooper image with its sinister theme and the music remains consistently dark and heavy throughout with that twisted dark humour. Compared to other Alice Cooper albums, I think that's the one that almost hit his image right on the mark. If he had done another album like that right after, I'm sure it would have been a success.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon May 26, 2014 2:04 am

ACAS

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon May 26, 2014 6:37 am

andyrew wrote:I would say ACAS. I was really excited about it when it came out but then after time, I just wasn't listening to it anymore.

I disagree that RYFAY is a worse flop than ACAS. As I've said many times, that album truly captures the Alice Cooper image with its sinister theme and the music remains consistently dark and heavy throughout with that twisted dark humour. Compared to other Alice Cooper albums, I think that's the one that almost hit his image right on the mark. If he had done another album like that right after, I'm sure it would have been a success.
How could I forget ACAS?? Huge build-up and anticipation for a concept album that was supposed to be a return to the darkest realm of Alicxe in a long time. In a way, lyrically, it kinda was but it could have been soo much more. Also, every hook and melody line on that album sounds derivative of older Cooper songs. Too many to list, but just listen to it again and you'll notice it..

And I completely agree with every point regarding RYFAY. Highly underrated album. Quite possibly my favorite AC album of all time.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon May 26, 2014 2:17 pm

I must be a very perverse AC fan because, IMO, 'ACAS' is brilliant - striking cover, wonderful booklet, witty, stylish, inventive music - and would easily get into my top ten AC albums. I also consider 'PFY' and 'EA' to be proto-garage mini-masterpieces, love the ballads - 'I Never Cry' especially - and think that, post-millennium, nearly all of his albums have been excellent. To cap it all, I thought the 'RTD' covers were a good idea! Plus, I'm really looking forward to the new album - although hopefully it'll have a few non-classic rock curveballs.

Disappointments? Well, as I've said before, the highs vastly outnumber the lows but I do think 'L&W', 'AC Show' and the hair metal trio are very poor albums. And, as I particularly despise everything Motley Crue stand for, I'm really disappointed Alice has chosen to support them.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm

RYFAY - hair metal? Are you absolutely sure about that? I really don't find anything particular glammy abut this album.. Constrictor and especially Trash, sure. But to me RYFAY is pure heavy metal....
Spliting hairs? Maybe. :p

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm

RYFAY is a fun album. Nothing earth shattering but it served it's purpose at the time. Constrictor would have faired better with much better production and real drums.

ACAS is just simply tripe from start to finish. The artwork and accompanying video were stunning, just a shame the music feels so rushed and awkward.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon May 26, 2014 9:41 pm

andyrew wrote:I would say ACAS. I was really excited about it when it came out but then after time, I just wasn't listening to it anymore.

It's my favorite Alice album!!
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon May 26, 2014 10:02 pm

HORRORHOLIC wrote:

I think side 2 of RYFAY is the best sequence of songs since the comeback of '86 and the tour was great.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Mon May 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
HORRORHOLIC wrote:

I think side 2 of RYFAY is the best sequence of songs since the comeback of '86 and the tour was great.
My favorite album too! Nothing comes even close to side 2 of RYFAY, okay Years ago/Steven/The Awakening.. Live In The Flesh was spectacular!