Uncle Alice Presents---New Comic Book and TV Series???

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Uncle Alice Presents---New Comic Book and TV Series???

Post by Si » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>The word "charity" changes it. "charity" makes people feel good about themselves. It's a "good cause".

If more people had the perception you mentioned though, many more people would probably be wondering why they're being asked to make a donation by someone far wealthier than they are.
And so we are back to the same people who don't think things through. Because it says "charity" they think no further, even when it's a multimillionaire asking for their money. "Charity" makes them give money, the opperite to this situation.
I was just saying I can see why some people would be turned off by the idea of financing this sort of thing when they perceive it as a rich person looking for direct money from people with a lot less.
A_MichaelUK wrote:> Are you suggesting Dark Matter are a charity case? They aren`t.

Of course not! I am saying that the reason this project failed is because it wasn't interesting enough. If it was, more people would have pledged money irrespective of any perception because they wanted to see the project reach fruition.
But again, that wasn't the point I was replying to. I was replying to the post saying that people percieved it as Alice's business venture when it wasn't, and that this misperception put some people off.
Obviously not enough people were interested, if they were it would have reached it's target.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 pm

And so we are back to the same people who don't think things through.

In this case, they do, otherwise there would be no donations made if it is a wealthy celebrity asking for donations.

>says "charity" they think no further, even when it's a multimillionaire asking for their money.

It isn't that straight forward. There are plenty of people who don't donate for exactly that reason (based on their perception) but more people donate despite that reason.

> by the idea of financing this sort of thing when they perceive it as a rich person looking for direct money from people with a lot less.

I think most people thought the idea was incredibly uninteresting.

>I was replying to the post saying that people percieved it as Alice's business venture when it wasn't, and that this misperception put some people off.

I don't think it did. If the idea is interesting, it is irrelevant whether it his "business venture" or not. His restaurant is a "business venture" as well and that seems to be doing quite well.

>Obviously not enough people were interested, if they were it would have reached it's target.

That is my point.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: > by the idea of financing this sort of thing when they perceive it as a rich
>person looking for direct money from people with a lot less.

I think most people thought the idea was incredibly uninteresting.
Did you think it was uninteresting? I thought it sounded a cool idea and that the promos were amusing as well.
A_MichaelUK wrote:>I was replying to the post saying that people percieved it as Alice's business venture when it wasn't, and that this misperception put some people off.

I don't think it did. If the idea is interesting, it is irrelevant whether it his "business venture" or not. His restaurant is a "business venture" as well and that seems to be doing quite well.
A_MichaelUK wrote:I didn't realise they asked for fan donatons to start the restaurant. Again that is a different thing.
I don't find a restaurant particulaly interesting.
The possiblity of a TV show with Alice is a lot more interesting.

>Obviously not enough people were interested, if they were it would have
>reached it's target.

That is my point.
One I never disputed.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 pm

The perception that Alice was asking for money may be wrong, but I don't think you can argue that the perception existed in the minds of some people. Did that effect the lack of pledges? Don't know. But this was sort of a tough spot for Alice...obviously his name had to be used....but in doing so it appears that he was connected to the $200,000 request, more than he probably was.

I will be honest. When I first saw this Kickstarter campaign, my thought was....''they are asking me for money to fund a project that will make Alice more money if the campaign (and project) succeed.''
Then I wondered - ''if Alice had faith in the project, wouldn't he partially fund the start-up costs?''. As to the latter...maybe he did add money to the venture...who knows?

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Jaded wrote:Diane, what are you on about? And if that was true, why would you think that was funny??

Andy, the above post by Diane proves Si's point in my opinion..

Are we supposed to cry because the comic book and TV series didn't came out?
I never did understood this project, anyway. But it worked to a certain point.
The sketches came out. Everybody laughed at it and found them funny. So....
If people has lost some money over this, they knew that it was only a project, nothing certain.
[

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:46 pm

I didn't back it simply because I don't have any money.

I quite liked the idea though.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Diane D. wrote:
Jaded wrote:Diane, what are you on about? And if that was true, why would you think that was funny??

If people has lost some money over this, they knew that it was only a project, nothing certain.

You are VERY uninformed.. First, if you read anything about kick start you would know that unless the goal is achieved
Your credit/ debit card is not charged.. So no one lost any money.

Please. Do us a favor unless you can post with some knowledge about the subject at hand please refrain from posting..
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:I didn't back it simply because I don't have any money.

I quite liked the idea though.
Same here.
"I'm just another case…”

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

>One I never disputed.

Right and I think it carries more weight than the one about perception.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 pm

> but I don't think you can argue that the perception existed in the minds of some people.

At the most, a very small number but (and speaking as probably the most cynical person here) I strongly doubt that many people let that perception take hold if the project had been the most exciting one ever proposed. Think about it.

>Did that effect the lack of pledges? Don't know.

Well, that's certainly the implication that is being made.

> But this was sort of a tough spot for Alice...obviously his name had to be used....but in doing so it appears that he was connected to the $200,000 request, more than he probably was.

He was the 'carrot', obviously.

>I will be honest. When I first saw this Kickstarter campaign, my thought was....''they are asking me for money to fund a project that will make Alice more money if the campaign (and project) succeed.''

Why does that matter if it is a great product? Why would anyone care?

>Then I wondered - ''if Alice had faith in the project, wouldn't he partially fund the start-up costs?''. As to the latter...maybe he did add money to the venture...who knows?

Exactly. Yet somehow despite that, any perception that he may not have, are presented as maybe being a big factor. On a wider point, one the reasons many small organizations seek this form of funding is (and I think I already made this point) is that it allows the producers to retain creative and financial control and also to keep a bigger chunk of any profit - this would not happen if the funding came from someone attached to the project who just happened to be wealthy. It is a story that has existed ever since patrons of the arts existed.

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Jaded wrote:
Diane D. wrote:

You are VERY uninformed.. First, if you read anything about kick start you would know that unless the goal is achieved
Your credit/ debit card is not charged.. So no one lost any money.

Please. Do us a favor unless you can post with some knowledge about the subject at hand please refrain from posting..
Sure...
[

frontrowjunkie
Killer
Killer

Post by frontrowjunkie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: Exactly. Yet somehow despite that, any perception that he may not have, are presented as maybe being a big factor. On a wider point, one the reasons many small organizations seek this form of funding is (and I think I already made this point) is that it allows the producers to retain creative and financial control and also to keep a bigger chunk of any profit - this would not happen if the funding came from someone attached to the project who just happened to be wealthy. It is a story that has existed ever since patrons of the arts existed.
True. And even given the fact that Alice could "easily" have funded the project as a whole (which needs to be proved), it would not have been a very clever move on the part of Dark Matter to make themselves entirely dependant on Alice - not only by relying on this talent, but also on himself funding the project.

Moreover, putting the project up on Kickstarter offered them the opportunity to gauge interest from the public in the project altogether...

TodayMueller
Killer
Killer

Post by TodayMueller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm

I was amazed to see the number of replies to this post.

I really don't care much for cartoons, golf or religious foundations. I hope Alice will concentrate on making a proper rock album now. It's about time.

All IMO of course.
Have no gods before me, I'm the light !