Re: Opening Night SPOILERS!!!!

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 pm

FWIW I like Dirty Diamonds.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 am

I am really looking forward to the cover songs, as one of those that has been clamering for something a bit different I am over the moon that he is doing this section. Ok we would all choose a seperate set list and we would all add or drop things so there is no way that Alice can please all of us, I like that He's back is in as well as Caffeine and the snake is back so I think it is sizing up to be a great night in Edinburgh.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:48 am

I have to echo the sentiment that the covers thing is over-the-top. They should be saved for maybe one or two songs at the end.

That would be like paying to see a circus only for a quarter of it to be nothing more than a lecture on self finances. Come on Alice, you're better than those artists (and those songs!)

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>So sometimes there are legitimate reasons a song isn't performed live.... and it's not because he can't sing it, it's because he can't sing it night after night after night after night on a long tour.

Exactly.
Funny story, a few years ago someone said that they asked Alice backstage (not alicebackstage, for those keeping track) why he dropped "Serious" and he apparently said that the guitarists couldn't get the "Chugging" rhythm quite right.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 am

ThePainAddict wrote: I was merely referring to your line of arguement. While 4 songs may not seem like much I think it is a pretty significant number of covers for an artist of Alice's stature. Of course, if you agree with the concept of including a "tribute" in the midst of the set, it isn't really than many. I just don't like this concept.

I also agree that Chuck has written better songs (although I don't care for StC). I merely stated this as Chuck mentioned he was surprised, and disappointed, when DD was dropped.

I completely agree that W2MN wasn't enough of a commercial success to really validate building a whole show around. Although, if it was truly incorporated into the original WtMN concept, it could allow for a bit more prominence.
Of course Chuck would be disappointed as musicians get royalties on songs played live that they have been a writer on.

But looking at the bigger picture as a title track to an album it's no Billion Dollar Babies or Killer or School's Out or Welcome To My Nightmare or Muscle Of Love or From The Inside.

Alice Cooper should always set the highest standards and it's taken until last year to come up with an album that can be compared with the great works of the ACG & his solo classics from the 1970s.

Sadly as great as it was the last album didn't sell enough to warrant a whole show based around it it appears, in which case it's a normal setlist with less theatrics plus the classic cover versions.

Alice loves Foxy Lady, he recounts the story of seeing Hendrix and hoping he would play it and remembering Jimi saying to him "if I have to play Foxy Lady one more time I'm gonna go nuts!" it also works well theatrically with a Fox (Orianthi) playing it!

Unlike some fans Alice thinks the covers are worthy, and I agree with GNDM that it is to be applauded.

I also think the sooner Alice employs a keyboard player again (not just a guitarist doubling up) the better so those great songs that need keys can be done justice.

You can still have 3 guitars just think back to the 1973 line up of 3 guitars plus Bob Dolin on keys, hopefully Alice will call on the survivors of the original band plus 2 from Steve Hunter, Dick Wagner & Mick Mashbir with Bob Dolin on keys next year for some Billion Dollar Babies 40th anniversary shows, as as much as I love this show it couldn't compete with something like that and hopefully Alice Cooper's most successful album and tour will be marked with a special anniversary celebration, it deserves to be and if you listen to yesterday's interview about 14 mins in Alice is open to it happening!

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fiv ... -1335a.mp3
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm

sounds like the shows are slightly picking up (from my personal view), w/ the trimming of the covers etc ~ though i'm still in two minds about the lack of the promised Nightmares show. two minds in that (a) it was almost promised (or at the least, heavily implied, though let's not start off that debate), and (b) if it HAD been the awesome show i was hoping for, i woulda missed it. Turns out the hurricane effed up my USA hol plans so i'm stuck at home, and there's nowt on ticketbast for the Hallowe'en show (despite my negativity about the covers i would've gone to a show just because, even though i might not have enjoyed it - still a hardcore fan even if i disagree w/ his choices), so i've lost out on two fronts. sucks to be me i guess!
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\