Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

My ACAS review...

Post by Parish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:06 am

ALICE COOPER

Along Came A Spider

Alice Cooper’s 25th studio album is a conceptual effort intended to be about a psychopathic serial killer named, Spider who after a killing removes a leg from each of his eight victims and attaches them with silk to another corpse in an effort to build, you guessed it, a spider.

I say it’s intended to be about this but without the press release that accompanied the review CD these eleven songs and their themes of “forensic things” are more vague and more confusing then any David Caruso/CSI one liner.

I'm sure that I’m gonna catch a beating for this but here goes...

For me, the whole thing misses its intended mark. The spoken intro for “Prologue/I Know Where You Live” is a clever start but then it quickly dissolves into very juvenile lyrics, plodding music and some of the most forgettable choruses I’ve heard in quite sometime. The 11 songs, all about the same subject and full of arachnophobic references quickly wears thin and we are left with what feels like one long 43 minute song.

Another problem here is that the songs fail in documenting the proposed script so by the end of the record when the second spoken outro appears you are only then reminded of the alleged storyline.

In the 70’s the Alice Cooper Group was scariest when they were just being themselves. When people didn't understand them or why they would be singing about a "Killer" or "Dead Babies" but that was the beauty of it as your imagination fueled your own fears.

Alice Cooper as a solo artist tries too hard at being this demented and menacing character and in turn becomes a caricature of himself. Don't get me wrong, this works great for his stage performances but it wears thin as far as an album is concerned. I mean the Broadway play "Oliver" was tremendous fun but how many times could you actually listen to Fagin sing, "You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two" without shooting yourself.

Being a huge fan of the Alice Cooper Group’s work I don’t like knocking any effort by any member but I feel like there is a bit of the emperor’s clothes vibe going on about this release because of its conceptual nature like Cooper’s highly successful “Welcome To My Nightmare” release. Either that or I’ve finally crossed over to the darkside of adulthood and just don’t “get it” anymore.

To be fair “Along Came A Spider” is Alice’s best work since “Brutal Planet” and hints at the musical Camelot that could be again if only the master of macabre would put as much effort into his records as he does his golf game.

Co-produced by Alice, Danny Saber and Greg Hampton both the concept and production for “Along Came A Spider” are good ones but ironically especially for this project, it’s the execution that failed.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:16 am

Incoming. You had better hunkerdown because you are about to take a beating. Still all music is subjective as is taste. It did'nt work for you but will for others. That's how things go. I actually enjoyed your review and one thing about this new release is that it is causing some controversy and lot's of discusion. No such thing as bad press in the music business. As long as you spell the name right it's all good.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 am

revinkevin wrote:Incoming. You had better hunkerdown because you are about to take a beating.
I appreciate the warning brother.

One more thing...I'll be at whatever shows are in my area with my two sons as Alice is the master live and I really want them to experience that. Its my deep respect and adoration of Alice that kept me from fudging the review into a suck fest.

Whether his "people" like it or not, he deserves the truth...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:23 am

:clap:

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: My ACAS review...

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:27 am

Parish wrote:I say it’s intended to be about this but without the press release that accompanied the review CD these eleven songs and their themes of “forensic things” are more vague and more confusing then any David Caruso/CSI one liner.
Hey, I happen to like Caruso's bits. Pure genious. And a great show. :grin:
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: My ACAS review...

Post by Parish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
Hey, I happen to like Caruso's bits.
Lets try and keep this non-sexual please, OK? :rotfl:

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 am

I agree with your review. Also agree that live Alice will always be a must no matter how bad his studio albums may be. I'm hoping that some of the song might be bearable live.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:31 am

Who goes to concerts just to listen to songs that are "bearable"? Why waste time and money doing that? Buying an $8 beer while Alice plays the new music is hardly the reason to be at a concert...
Go to an amazing show, with GREAT music....otherwise watch YouTube, and buy the shirt on Amazon.com.

There are two shows that are a must to see for me.....Alice and Kiss. My brain is buzzing for days after.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Who goes to concerts just to listen to songs that are "bearable"? Why waste time and money doing that? Buying an $8 beer while Alice plays the new music is hardly the reason to be at a concert...
Go to an amazing show, with GREAT music....otherwise watch YouTube, and buy the shirt on Amazon.com.

There are two shows that are a must to see for me.....Alice and Kiss. My brain is buzzing for days after.
You know, you should really just stop. Do you find it amusing responding to all of my posts and twisting my words?

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I know of someone who will.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Stuart
Trash
Trash

Post by Stuart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:31 pm

I have to go along with you and your review. Musically the album is quite good, Wake the Dead, Killed by Love being current favourites. Lyrically speaking though, it is a disappointment, juvenile being the correct word.

A big turn off with the album (IMHO) is the very weak opening track. It is probably the weakest track on the entire album.

The album is a slow grower. When I listened to it the first time I was slowly shaking my head but I am getting into it.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:05 am

Feezle-Nuts, I do find this amusing. Why else join a discussion forum about Alice Cooper? For amusement....thank you for providing it. :laugh:
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:06 am

Stuart wrote: The album is a slow grower. When I listened to it the first time I was slowly shaking my head but I am getting into it.
I'm not sure how much of this is either brainwashing or akin to cheering for a child of yours even when you know he stinks at a sport.

Billiondollardes
Trash
Trash

F Nuts

Post by Billiondollardes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am

So FeezleNuts you really dont like ACAS?

:)

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 am

Parish wrote:
Stuart wrote: The album is a slow grower. When I listened to it the first time I was slowly shaking my head but I am getting into it.
I'm not sure how much of this is either brainwashing or akin to cheering for a child of yours even when you know he stinks at a sport.
Wow, never thought of it that way.

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:59 am

This is as good a thread as any to finally give my two cents worth. I wont take up too much time. Here goes ...

I have been reading everyone elses feelings and opinions for a few weeks now wondering how I would feel about this release. I have to say ... I am disappointed. I listened to Vengence when it was put out there and I was excited. I like the harder Alice tunes. I certainly wasnt expecting a full album of harder stuff. As with all Alice releases,I have my favorites and not so favs. This album is no exception. However, no matter how many times I am "expected" to listen through the album to get a feel for it or to have it grow on me,nothing is going to change my mind on the fact that FOR ME only track 2 and track 11 will be the ones I listen to more often. There is no worst song, just songs I will choose not to listen to - and we all have those from ANY AND ALL music we buy.

To put it another way ... I will carefully place the cd in with the rest of my collection.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:44 am

Damn Damien.....you got 3581 posts! :clap: I'll respect your opinion and just hope I don't agree with it after listening a few times at full blast.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Parish wrote: Its my deep respect and adoration of Alice that kept me from fudging the review into a suck fest.

Whether his "people" like it or not, he deserves the truth...
The "truth" as you see it, fortunately if the poll is anything to go by you are in the minority of Alice fans

http://sickthingsuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4189
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:32 pm

28 votes from folks who are aggressive fans really doesn't paint an accurate picture now does it ?

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Parish wrote:28 votes from folks who are aggressive fans really doesn't paint an accurate picture now does it ?
Aggressive fans?! what a strange comment :laugh:

At least it is some sort of gauge of opinion other than yours.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV