Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

roselace
Trash
Trash

VIP Security Nightmare

Post by roselace » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 am

Hi guys,
I met Alice at Manchester VIP, i hope the other VIP fans don't have the same experience as me at the other Venues.
I received the ticket/pass ok then when i went in the security guy took my camera off me saying "no one is meeting Alice, i don't know anything about it" he would not even look at my confirmation proof from ac.com etc even tho i had a pass round my neck. I asked if he could ask someone or management regarding VIP's he said "no" i told him i need the camera for after the show/autograph he said "people could sell them on e-bay?" He said a girl was crying earlier because he told her she might not meet Alice, but he has'nt been told anything, come back after the show & i'll see if i know anything about it.

I got the impression if i continued the disscusion he would throw me out.
after the show it took ages to get the camera back, the security were awful with me, shouting Alice is ready if you don't hurry up you can't come in, i had to plead with them.
This is VIP treatment? no communication with ac.com & the Venue? :nono:
I understand they have a job to do but they could be more human with people, i only hope no one goes threw what i did, apart from that everything else was amazing meeting him..

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Re: VIP Security Nightmare

Post by sparkinthedark » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 am

I'm sorry that you had that experience, roselace. I did find security fairly useless when the show ended when trying to find out where to go - was told by one security guy to head back out to the theatre lobby (mainly because they were just trying to get the place empty) but I knew that he must be wrong and eventually located the correct meeting point myself.

As to them confiscating your camera - what kind of camera was it? If it was just a regular, "point and shoot" fixed lens camera then there should not have been a problem as signs on the main doors stated that they were ok. If it was a camera with the capacity to change the lens then they would have been within their rights to not allow it inside if you didn't have the appropriate pass, which of course the meet and greet VIP pass is not.

Either way there's still no excuse for being rude to people. I know that the security up by the stage had a "pass sheet" with pictures of the various different passes that they could expect to see at the show. I do personally feel that they could have been a bit more "switched on" than they were.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Allan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:21 am

That sounds pretty shocking. Such a shame it happened this way.

When I done the FanFire one there was a rep who met us an hour before the show started to give us the backstage (and onstage) tour. During this he was great and pointed out where we had to meet at the end of the gig and everything. It could not have been arranged better IMO.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:26 pm

A lot of security is infested with jobsworth muppets with low self esteem, anyone would think they were Alice Cooper's personal security! They will probably end up on the door at a nightclub or jobcentre, stoopid cretins!
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

roselace
Trash
Trash

Post by roselace » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:30 pm

sparkinthedark
Yes you can change the lens on the camera, but i had the standard one, there was a man who had the same camera has me, he also had it taken off him but got it back 10 mins before me.
I understand their rules regarding "bigger" cameras, but he accused me of being rude to him & not listen`n to his point of view.
I did'nt have a smaller camera to take, i just said to him as long as i can have it to take a photo afterwards?
I agree with Steven's above comment - that it was all badly organised, there was no one to tell us were to wait after, they did'nt even know it existed which i find Bizzare see'in the Box Office gave me the tickets?
I just found it all distressing which spoilt the night.
You would have thought a member of staff would have told us beforehand were to meet after? :(

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:11 pm

I am really sorry you had such a difficult time of it. Situations such as this can cause such upset and frustration particularly when you have paid so much for the upgrade and been looking forward to it for months. I don't know how I would respond in such circumstances.

They should have known about you and given a clear meeting place (where you wondering about the circle lobby after the concert? I may have seen you.)

I have the upgrade booked for Sheffield and am already having anxienty dreams about my camera not working or deliting the picture by mistake....fingers (and every thing else) crossed.
...And personally, I don't care.

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Roselace, I have been thinking about this, I am the last person in the world to advise anyone to complain. However, I suspect a little bit of feedback to AC.Com would be appreciated by them. You don't have to complain at all, but perhaps just a short, polite and pleasant e mail, telling them what happened to you, would help them generally. I am sure Alice wants to ensure fans have a really positive experience at the meet and greet and some feedback may just help. ;)

roselace
Trash
Trash

Post by roselace » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Dave,
Yes i was running around frantic but the security just looked at me "stone faced" when i asked for help they were not interested saying "I have'nt got a radio on me" your camera is upstairs, so i said can you please hurry up there shouting at me to hurry up & get in!
I was nearly in tears saying i've paid a lot of money for this - they said "I don't care how much you've paid"

I had to beg them to get in, i apologised about the camera & said i don't want to keep people waiting or cause trouble.

I then found it hard to compose myself to talk to Alice until havin photo's taken after.
I assume people are nervous in the first place, with cameras workin like you say - doing the right thing.
The man who had the same camera took loads of pictures for me so i deff got some photo's :clap:

I was thinking the same, to send ac.com a polite e-mail saying they should really let the Venues know whats going on regarding VIP's but it's Apollo's security at fault as well - maybe the Sheffield guys will be ok with you :grin:

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:57 pm

I agree with Dave! I would certainly have a hard time staying polite even in an email (but of course it is best to be). It's a total disgrace to have people pay that much and not offer a proper greeting!

I've have been organising events for years and believe me this is ridiculous, most of our events are free and we ALWAYS offer a greeting a small speech and often also drinks and snacks!

:nono:

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Roselace, I am really pleased you got some pictures and it turned out well in the end. Like I said, I don't know if I would be able to conduct myself with such dignity in those circumstances.

Heres hoping Sheffield is ok. If you do get in touch with AC.Com, please let us know what response you get back.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:20 pm

echo what Steven Allan said, the FanFire organisation was spotless. If i'd paid $500 for a ticket and some guy pulled that sht w/ me on the night i woulda made my mouth go to anyone and everyone until i either got thrown out or somebody sorted it.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd dispute the payment with my credit card. It sounds like it ruined your evening. The buck stops with Alice's management as far as I'm concerened.

FTM
Trash
Trash

Post by FTM » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:10 pm

OK, Having been reading these Forums for years, tonight I registered in order to post a comment. My name is Toby Mamis, and I have worked with Alice for 23+ years, as a manager at Alive, and more recently also as a tour manager, and a lot of you probaby know who I am.

We were distressed to read the postings about Manchester, and also disappointed with the way venue security handled the front-of-stage area at Glasgow last night.

We in Alice's backstage production office -- and if you didn't know, let me tell you that there is an office for us every night backstage -- did not hear anything about any problems in Manchester.

Alice's production manager and the promoter's rep always do a security briefing with the security managers (obviously not the entire security staff) before the doors open each night, and we give them a "pass sheet" -- as noted by one post here -- that includes ALL passes, including the VIP meet n greet laminate. The security managers are then supposed to distribute sufficient copies of the pass sheet to their personnel and brief them accordingly.

It's no secret that it doesn't take a rock scientist to work security at a rock show, and maybe they were poorly informed and/or poorly trained, but that is still no excuse for rudeness on their part.

As another post pointed out, why there was a disconnect between venue staff who KNEW about the VIP meet n greet (the box office who had the envelopes with the passes) and some (not all, hopefully) security staff who didn't seem to know, well, that's an internal problem at the Apollo, and we will let them know we were very unhappy to hear about it after the fact.

They very well could have contacted someone to find out what was going on. In future, though hopefully this won't happen anywhere else, one might ask the security person to get a supervisor to help, or specifically ask a non-security venue employee to call the backstage production office for help, in such a case.

We hate reading something like this.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that everyone enjoyed the concert itself, and that the VIP meet n greet participants all had a blast meeting Alice after the show.

I did also read the comments about the previous Fanfire meet n greets, most or all of which I also attended. One year, there was a dedicated rep just for that, but the past few years, we have done it ourselves on their behalf.

We have always tried to meet everyone right after the show, bring them to the meet n greet room, make sure everyone gets their shirts & photos, and have a chat until Alice gets there.

We think it's gone pretty smoothly and has been a good experience for both the fans and for Alice. And we hope you agree.

I'm not going to be a regular posting person here, but I did want to address the posts that I saw today.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:20 pm

thanks for your concern and comment T.M.
see you all in the Netherlands !

Lisacooper91
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Lisacooper91 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:29 pm

woa, sorry to hear that happened man :(
kinda scares me too...
hope it won't happen in The Netherlands..
The sanest days are mad.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks for posting that Toby!
I guess I should have pointed out that my own comment was directed at the venue, not at you guys of course, I should have phrased that differently.
Guess it brough back some very unpleasant memories of a few years back in Switzerland. Again only the venue's security at fault.

So far I've only read a lot of good about these events. It's really great that fans get the opportunity to meet Alice if they want to!

Oh and Dave, I'll certainly be with you in thoughts when you get your super birthday gift ;)
Last edited by Dragonlady on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:51 pm

It would be nice Toby if you offered her another meet and greet gratis If she is going to another show. Either that or some nice freebies from the tour.

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Allan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi Toby.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I'd like to second Dragonlady's comments above. Any moans were directed at the 'security' at the gig venue. Odd it happened at the Apollo... I'd have expected it if it was the MEN.

:laugh:

Dave Conway
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dave Conway » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Toby

Thats great, thank you SO much for posting that. I am sure you, and all of your coleagues, are really busy right now so its brilliant that you had time to read this thread and post your message.

I am sure that many others who visit here, are, like me, reassured. I am sure that any problems on the night where localised to the venue.

Many, many thanks.

Dave

roselace
Trash
Trash

Post by roselace » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi Toby, thanks for the reply
I have been an Alice fan for 23 years & appreciate the opportunity to meet my idol, a dream come true, pictures i will treasure forever!
I don't like complaining about things but i bought 2 VIP's (one for my partner) £664 I did'nt expect to be treated by Manchester Apollo security like that, so i wrote the "Post" from my personal experience & hoping like Dave Conway (above comment) that it was a problem with the Venue.

I found it distressing to sit threw the show worrying if we were going to meet him?
I was so shocked by security we did'nt even go to the merchandise stall! tho i have since ordered the USB audio recording :grin:

All i wanted was someone to acknowledge us but speaking to security just before Alice came out he said they got briefed earlier but knew nothing?

Anyway i was glad i got in! To reasure fans the concert is excellent his best yet and to Dave It's amazing meeting him, such a nice, chatty, funny guy it was great just watching him talk to fans & do silly poses having photo's taken ;)

Hope you have a nice time at the show! :alice:
Thanks again Toby for your concern...