For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Clearwater Show

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Great start to the 1st of Alice's 4 Florida shows. Everything was spot on, same setlist. Thought the band were brilliant, and they were having a blast onstage. Only down point, thought Alice's vocals got drowned out at times. Don't know if it was because we were in the 3rd row and the sound was going over our heads or what. On recent tours his voice has sounded stronger than ever. Think i read another article also saying his voice was getting lost in the sound. Loved the mike stand stabbing . Alice played on this by constantly driving the mike stand through his victim to the beat of the music whilst she was laying on the floor. Although it seemed to work, still wish Alice played the whole of Schools Out as the opener and picked another song to finish with.... i dunno, some of us are never satisfied eh'.

Diane
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Clearwater Show

Post by Diane » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:42 am

The show I went to in CT, I thought the same thing, that Alice's voice got overpowered at times by the music; not at the beginning though. It was more towards the middle, I think. We were further up than you too, 12th row. Of course, I thought it could have been my ears going. :grin: I still thought he sounded fantastic though, and I absolutely loved the show.

I saw Alice in Jacksonville with the "Eyes.." tour. That was actually my first concert of his. We have friends in the Daytona area and we had been thinking of going to see them for a visit and all of us hit the show there, but it didn't work out, unfortunately. Are you going to any of the other FL shows?

Glad you had a great time! :clap:
It's just the little things...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Glad you enjoyed what you did from the show, jacknifejohnny. :)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks Shoe. Yes Diane, i am driving over to Daytona after work tomorrow to catch the show their. Pack ya bags......see ya their hahahaha.

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Have a Great time!
I wish I was going... :(
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Diane
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Diane » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:Thanks Shoe. Yes Diane, i am driving over to Daytona after work tomorrow to catch the show their. Pack ya bags......see ya their hahahaha.
I wish!! :alice: Have a great time.
It's just the little things...

jimthai
Trash
Trash

Post by jimthai » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm

We (4 people) were at the Clearwater show in the front row. The show was great and the seats could not have been better. My wife was the Thai lady he shook hands with at the end of the show. However like jacknifejohnny said the sound was POOR. We could barley hear Alice most of the show. Only during the beginning of Ballad of Dwight Fry and quieter portions of other songs. I think the sound was coming from the top sides of the stage, house speakers.
I tried to email a couple of different places to get them to pass on the info so they can add the center speakers to the stage.

Not the bands fault (maybe they should have hung the soundguy instead of Alice!)

My Daughter is going tonight in Daytona so I will let you know how the sound is there. She has 3rd row.

Jim :rock:

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Si,

Can you ask Randy about this?

Hopefully it is a problem limited to the sound system in that particular theater.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

>However like jacknifejohnny said the sound was POOR.

As you may know, that tends to happen if you're that close to the stage.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah, I've got to agree with Andy here, it's a locational thing. Randy mixes the sound well, and usually it ends up that the prime spot at ANY show (Alice or not) will be right at the soundboard. Depending on how theaters set up speakers, the closer you are, the less you'll hear the proper mix. I've noticed this on multiple occassions when I've gone to get a drink or use the bathroom during the opening act. Sounds problems I notice right at the front go away as I move back. The "problem" is that the sound is kinda going over you when you're right up at the stage....depending on how the speakers are set up for that venue, which Randy and Alice's people can't always change.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 am

I concur... during last year's Psycho Drama tour, the three shows where I was within the first two rows didn't sound as good/mixed as the show where I sat in the 25th row.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:25 am

All the above is correct. Randy often has to really fight to get any kind of decent sound in venues. Of course Alice's vocals come out of the side PA system, so when you're up close you're getting more of the on stage sound from the amps then the mixed sound. Some times they have an extra PA speaker in the middle of the stage, in the press pit, and that makes a big difference in my experience, but as it's not always there I can only assume it's a logistical thing.
If you read our interview with Randy you're see that most venues bands play (not just AC) are simply not built for a live rock concert. Not much he can do in these situations but set up the best way he can and try and make it sound reasonable.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:06 am

I will report on the Montgomery Performing Arts Center tomorrow night which is a brand new facility and fairly small. It should have a state of the art sound system. We will be front row center (thanks again AC.com). From point blank if we can not hear him we should be able to lip read, LOL. With a day off before the show there should be plenty of time to do a sound check.

Only one more sleep until da Coop!!!
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am

Jumping Jack wrote:With a day off before the show there should be plenty of time to do a sound check.

Only one more sleep until da Coop!!!
Provided they get there a day early, and that there's not another show there the night before. They probably won't get into the theater 'til the day of.

Have fun!
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

jimthai
Trash
Trash

Post by jimthai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:00 pm

I was just kidding about hanging the soundguy (Randy) I know he can only work with what he is given.
"you're getting more of the on stage sound from the amps then the mixed sound" I got quite a bit of bass and of course the drums, Seems like adding some amps to the center stage or even monitors turned toward the front (so it wouldn't mess up the sound further back?) I am definitely not a sound man.

"Alice's vocals come out of the side PA system"
Last year ,with heaven and hell, we had front row all the way over to the right and it was one the best shows I have seen (and heard).

Still love ya Alice. :alice:
JimThai

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

>I was just kidding about hanging the soundguy (Randy) I know he can only work with what he is given.

Thats good since he's probaby seen this.. :/
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:03 pm

The Daytona show was fantastic. I was back a bit compared to The Clearwater show, center, row 9. The sound was perfect, Alice's vocals came across loud and clear. Suppose in a perfect world, Alice should do 2 shows in every venue. One where you could get front row tix and virtually be part of the show, the 2nd to stand back a bit and take the whole thing in and get that 100% sound.Last night, just to the right of me, there seemed to be a reporter writing notes on every song Alice done. Hopefully i can find out which paper it is in, 'cause the guy had a look of utter amazement on his face during each number, guess he had never witnessed an Alice Cooper concert before. Just a side note, there was no support band and the show started really early, around 7.30. Just a heads up to anyone going to a future show with no support band.

jimthai
Trash
Trash

Post by jimthai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 pm

I just talked to my daughter ,she had 3rd row, about the show in Daytona. She said the first 2 or 3 rows were removed for security so her seats would have been about the 6th row and the sound was great!
jacknifejohnny I have lots of pics from both shows if you want to see I will make an album somewhere.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 pm

I could be wrong, but the odds of Damon sleeping at home for a few nights, Coop playing the 3 great Robert Trent Jones golf courses in Pratville (hosted the LPGA last weekend), and a few succesive nights beautiful new hotel housing the theater are pretty high in my estimation. I doubt I'll be hanging around the empty buses tomorrow.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
Caffeine! Caffeine!

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:48 pm

jimthai, that would be brilliant, many thanks.