Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

My somewhat detailed analysis of the album

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 pm

http://danlovetere.tumblr.com/post/8462 ... cism-alice

This is the first Alice Cooper album I ever bought on the street date. It was very much like what happens when you buy a new album from any artist you love. I listened to it about 95 times in the first month. The first time I listened to the album I didn’t love it. The song structures and lyrics are repetitive and the overly compressed dynamic range literally makes the album difficult to sit through. But at the same time, the album is highly enjoyable. It just wasn’t as good as I wanted to it be.

I stopped listening to it for several months and then rediscovered it. Now that my initial disappointment had worn off, I enjoyed the album more. Then I kept listening to it and my criticisms seemed harsher than ever. On many tracks, we hear instances of claps along with the chorus. It really hams up any attempt at credible music. The album would go up at least a half a point on a five-point scale if I could simply remove the clapping.

Also, every song repeats the chorus several times. 90% of the album’s tracks flow like this: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus, chorus, chorus, chorus. Some of those choruses are backed by music, some are acapella. In essence, every song is about 50% filler. The album is about 44 minutes long. I would have rather had a 34 minute album with the same number of tracks, with all of the filler chopped out of the middle of each track.

Part of this problem is also that Alice was trying to tell a story. Instead of writing eleven solid tracks, he broke up the story of Spider in eleven parts and wrote a song about each part. So, we are left with a song that tells a chunk of the story in two minutes, then has two minutes of filler. I firmly believe that if money wasn’t so tight and Alice’s touring schedule wasn’t so strenuous, he could have spent more time in the studio thinking this through and we would have been left with a much better album.

The other major issue with the album is the problem that plague’s all new hard rock records, including Metallica’s Death Magnetic or as I like to call it, “Sonic Terrible”. Every instrument is compressed to the same decibel level. There is no dynamic layering. This wouldn’t be a problem if this album had a simple sound - guitar, drums, bass, vocals. But Along Came A Spider has one of the most consistently cluttered mixes I’ve ever heard. We have cowbell, tambourine, clapping, guitar, drums, bass, synthesizers, and keyboard. All of these elements played back at exactly the same level leaves the album sounding flat and distorted. Like I said before, listening to this in headphones is literally painful by the end.

For me, guitar hooks make or break a song. Typically, a song has a great guitar hook and then lulls in favor of vocals. Then the vocals end and the guitar hook is reprised. All throughout this album, the guitars stick exactly to the rhythm of Alice’s voice. There are no hooks to be found. This is quite possibly the heaviest, hollowest pop album in recent history.

So I let several more months go by again since listening to it again. I have almost accepted the album for what it is… but not quite yet. There is still a few overwhelming problems. Before I get to them, I’d like to discuss each of the songs individually.

I Know Where You Live: This is a catchy song, overwhelmed by chorus, clapping, and compression. It is the perfect opening track, in terms of content. One of the oldest, non-explicit threats in the book is the basis here: “I know where you live!” The guitar riff is interesting, but it plays underneath Alice’s vocals. When he stops singing, the guitar stops. It is difficult to even hear the guitar for most of the song because you’re listening to Alice. Still, a likeable song and a funny/disturbing way to open the album.

Vengeance is Mine: This is a heavy, angry hard rock song. The riff is cool and Slash’s guitar solo makes the song a wild experience. The lyrics/chorus are repetitive, but it works for this song. Vengeance is all he wants and all he needs, plain and simple. To say more about Vengeance is Mine, when it was first released online, a month before the album, I thought it was cool, but I hoped the rest of the album would be better. I was wrong. Like the album, I listened to Vengeance is Mine about 100 times (not an exaggeration) and suddenly, I started loving it. This is a metaphor for the entire album, but I’m still slightly sad that this turned out to be the best track.

Wake the Dead: This song is light and catchy. It is a lot of fun. Lyrically, it is dark, yet tongue-in-cheek humorous like the opening track. It has a great guitar/harmonica riff and a simply wonderful little drum line. The chorus is a bit repetivite here as well. What a surprise. Ozzy Osbourne plays harmonica on this track. As it plays, the harmonica pans from left to right, back and forth like the intro in Crazy Train. This is such a headspinningly awesome feeling in headphones. The biggest issue here is that the guitar riff once again exists directly beneath Alice’s voice. There might as well not even be an electric guitar on this song. You’d barely notice the difference.

Catch Me If You Can: This is a heavy, angry track like Vengeance is Mine, but here is the song where the overcompression is the most painful to listen to. It is so loud that my ear feels pain. I usually have to turn it down when I get to this point on the disc. What is really odd is the transition from Wake the Dead to this. The two songs have the same time signature, and even though they sound so different, the songs almost blur together. It is a truly jarring transition. This is something I notice every time I listen to the album, from the first time to the last. The song also features the dreadful clapping and repetitive/acapella chorus.

(In Touch With) Your Feminine Side: I like this song a lot. It is light, like Wake the Dead. It is also one of the most pure rock songs on the album. The mix is not as cluttered and there is very little clapping. The biggest problem here is that the verses are so short and trite: “You’ve got some rock in your walk. You’ve got some hips in your slips.” Wow. However, the song is so catchy, that you can’t help but bump along to it. What also helps is that the chorus is twice as long as each verse and is one of the best choruses on the album.

Wrapped in Silk: This song, sonically is more in line with I Know Where You Live. I quite like the lyrics here as well as the chorus. It is driven by one of the heaviest and catchiest riffs on the album and for once, it doesn’t play underneath Alice. His vocals alternate the foreground with the guitar. The chorus is repetitive as usual, but this is one of the longer choruses, so the repetition is fewer and far between. This is one of the better songs on the album.

Killed By Love: This is the first ballad. Sonically, it couldn’t have come a moment too soon. The compression is so strong throughout the album that our heads might have exploded if we didn’t get a break. If I could describe this song in one word, it would be simplicity. The guitar riff is so basic and minimal, that the song breathes well and sinks in very deeply. The lyrics and Alice’s vocal performance are unlike anything else on the album. This song would have been right at home on one of Alice’s softer albums, like “From the Inside”. Alice does is best Beatlesque voice here as well. Fans of early Alice know that the Beatles were one of his greatest inspirations. In fact, many of the band’s early cuts sound like the Beatles on Acid. This is one of the few songs that I often desire to listen to, outside of the album. Most often I only listen to albums. Very rarely do I skip tracks, but for this I make an expection. For me, this is one of the best tracks on the album.

I’m Hungry: Unfortunately, when this song begins we dread having to go back to the sonically overwhelming sound of the first part of the album. This song had potential to be good. It’s lyrics have that tongue in cheek sting, but when the chorus hits, it all goes downhill. Not only does this have the most choral repetitions, it also has the shortest chorus, which means more time for brainless repetition. Let me just give you an example of what the last minutes of the song consist of: “I’M HUNGRY! YEAH, I’M HUNGRY! OH, I’M HUNGRY! I’M HUNGRY! YEAH, I’M HUNGRY! OH, I’M HUNGRY!” My God, I want to cut my own head off and eat it by the time this song ends. This track really sours my mood. It makes me want to stop listening and takes a LOT away from the remaining three tracks, which are all great.

The One that Got Away: This, like Feminine Side, it an old fashioned rock song. It is the most classic “Alice” sounding song, like Feminine Side and it doesn’t suffer from the cluttered mix / compression problems. It also has a dialogue breakdown in the middle that is hysterical. I laughed loudly the first time I ever listened. Despite being one of the album’s better tracks, the lyrics are rather weak here. They don’t pack much punch. Like Feminine Side, the major focus seems to be the chorus. That doesn’t stop you (or me) from enjoying it though. Just skip “I’m Hungry” and you can enjoy this without suicidal tendencies.

Salvation: This is the second and inferior ballad. It is certainly more epic, but the chorus isn’t great and it is repetitive. The lyrics play an important role in the story, but don’t have the impact of Killed by Love. Longtime Alice fans know that often times the ballads are highlights. I don’t feel that way about Salvation. The chorus is too verbose and cramped. And its constant repetition gets the song nowhere fast. It does, however have a wonderfully abrupt ending that transitions beautifully into the final track

I Am The Spider: This is possibly the heaviest, darkest, scariest track on the album. The guitar riff is as frightening and gritty as anything Alice has ever done. This is one of the few exceptions on the album, where the riff is the driving force of the song. I Am The Spider serves as a summation of the album, as well as Alice’s final admission and concession that he is in fact the spider and there will be no salvation. The only downfall is that, like Catch Me, it is one of the most compressed songs on the album, but that doesn’t stop the song from standing out as one of the better tracks. It is also one of the most popular tracks. Fan reaction to the song has been overwhelmingly positive, because fans had hoped this song would encapsulate the sound of the entire album, but it does not. Much of the album is pop oriented and very little of it actually rocks as hard as this track.

There are also bonus tracks that I won’t say too much about. I’ll Still Be There is very good, but sonically, too much like the rest of the album. It does, however, have some of the best lyrics to be found on the entire album.

Shadow of Yourself is the most sonically different from anything on the album. One of the things I didn’t mention above is that there is very little variety in Alice’s vocals, which is another element that makes the album difficult. However, on Shadow of Yourself, from verses to chorus, from beginning to end, it sounds nothing like any of the album’s tracks. It almost sounds like it is from a different recording session with a different producer. I wish, for this reason alone that the song remained on the album.

So, to sum up, the biggest problems with the album are the overcompression and lack of variety. I have some solutions, but these may come down to personal preference. Reversing the playback order of Feminine Side and Catch Me greatly changes the impact of the album. Feminine Side is one of the lighter songs, so it transitions wonderfully from Wake the Dead. The two songs create a sense of light cohesion. Then we have Catch Me, which fades out, giving us an aural break before Wrapped in Silk. Feminine Side has a very cold ending, which previously went right into Wrapped, making the two songs blur together the way that Wake the Dead and Catch Me blur together. Switching the order alleviates both of those glaring issues. Catch Me is also a hands-down better song to end the first side. We have eight or so minutes of light, playful music, when suddenly Alice gets angry and ups the ante.

Also, if the albums worst track, I’m Hungry is replaced with the bonus track, Shadow of Yourself, the album goes up yet another notch on the enjoyability scale. It keeps us in the album and makes us want to listen to the rest without slicing your ears off. Why I’m Hungry was chosen over either of the bonus tracks I will never understand.

I’ve been listening to the album with these changes implemented for the last month. It really is the best way to listen that I have found. I feel slightly like I have betrayed the artist, but it really is better this way. If I knew Alice, I would urge him to make these changes and reissue the album. Or at least listen to it this way to see how he felt for himself. When I find out this answer, you will be the first to know!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: My somewhat detailed analysis of the album

Post by scotty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 pm

do you use the word sonically as much as alice says 'hungry"???? :evil:

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm surprised more reviewers don't use that word.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Are you saying the cd is over produced ?? Hee Hee. That is my major complaint with it. And the fact that the band had minimal in put on this effort. Supposedly the long delay in recording this cd was that Alice was waiting for a certain producers schedule to open up. Please tell me it was not these guys. I like ACAS but I think it could have been so much better if they stuck to a stripped down sound like on the 2 previous cd's and use the material that the band wrote and then let the boys rip it up in the studio. Alice needs to capture that energy he and the band have in concert and carry it over to the studio. Less is more. So much more.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 pm

I agree with much of that review. I made lots of these observations at the time of it's release and was lambasted for it!

I'm sad to say that i can't bring myself to listen to it anymore, atleast i havent listened to it for about 5 months. Im Hungry came on my Ipod the other day when i had it on shuffle and i tried to persevere with it but had to skip when it got to the chorus...that is a painful song!

Such a shame as this is the only album that has totally not agreed with me, i've always found merit in all of his previous releases.

I'm sure the next one will be much better though.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah. I think when the polls first surfaced rating this album against Dirty Diamonds and Eyes, we all voted overwhelmingly toward ACAS because with all the hype, we WANTED it to be his best album since his 70s heydey. Sadly it is not. Dirty Diamonds and Eyes are much better albums.

You know what would actually save ACAS without changing the music at all - a 5.1 surround mix. Think about it, there are so many different sounds. The clapping would be tolerable if it was limited to only the rears. They tambourine could stay in the center channel. The guitars, vocals, and drums could be heavily split between left and right channels. A little bass everywhere, but with a subwoofer would be cool.

I listen to ACAS in headphones most often. That is a lot of different sounds to be cramming straight into my poor ears. 5.1 mix would be better and easier to listen to.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:47 pm

What a well-written review. I agree about the criticisms of ACAS. I have actually been disappointed in the last two albums. I think Eyes is far superior to Dirty Diamonds.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:56 am

I'll stand on the other end of the scales here and say I thought ACAS was good, Not great, but good. I've gotten over my issue with the clapping (and I know I've harped on it a few times already in various threads) and that's what helped me appreciate this album more. While I agree with some of the comments here, I agree to a lesser extent and feel there are some saving moments on the album... just not enough of them maybe.

I still play Along Came A Spider often and I really got into it during the roadtrip in September 2008 when going to the Psycho-Drama shows. I'll say it again... my expectations were in check BEFORE this record was released and it saved me from disappointment.

And every song on Along Came A Spider is better than Dragontown's Deeper. *ducks, covers arse, runs for cover* ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Luney Tune
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Luney Tune » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:12 am

Great review ! I am still very dissapointed with this album. Only song I really like is "I am the Spider " And maybe "Wake the Dead" the rest is not even mediocre. The last really really good AC album for me was "Brutal Planet "
It`s all in this luney tune....

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Shoey, i like Deeper, :)
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:11 pm

To me... every song on ACAS, including Killed By Love and Salvation, has more energy and doesn't seem to lumber around on low batteries like Deeper does. Deeper reminds me of Frankenstein's "slower" cousin that can't keep up. No disrespect to those who like the song... I just find it very narcoleptic, one of my least favorite songs from Alice's entire catalog.

Now if it had ACAS's clapping maybe it could be better. ;)

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Not the worst, just a long way off the best

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Does anyone know who the producer for ACAS was suppose to be ? I remember the recording of ACAS was pushed back supposedly because the producer of choice schedule was tied up at the time. I find it difficult to believe that he would have delayed the recording for Hampton and Saber.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 am

That was an interesting review, well thought out.

I agree with some of it, but the CD's not really all that bad, in my opinion. Of course, opinion's all in "the eye of the beholder", so to speak.

That being said: "Hungry" - I find myself listening to it - loving it until we get to the chorus and then I'm catapulted into a mental "restaurant commercial"! :smack:

I still can't forgive that incessant clapping or the overly LOUD backup vocals (whoever you are: go for lead on your own CD next time, please...do us all the favor...or turn it down a few notches...).

However, I love the story and the possibilities of it. I can listen to anything if he's telling me a story... That's the saving grace for me. The story makes it worth listening to. Aside from the above: I really like it.

Love Wake the Dead..

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am

I know some people at M.I.T. who created music analyzing and remix software. It analyzes music and breaks it down by instruments, beats, tempo, etc. When they create something that allows you to add or remove an individual track from a single song I'll let everyone know. If something like that was available, I'd completely remix the album.

Alas, until then, I'm happy enjoying Dirty Diamonds more. Still I look forward to his next album and hope he doesn't make us wait long... and gets some new producers.

from_the_inside
Trash
Trash

Post by from_the_inside » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am

I have to say I agree. This is probably my least favourite album that Alice has released..

And that really hurts me :/

There are a few albums I really don´t like; Thrash and RYFAY comes to mind.

But at least Thrash has some great songs (although too much Bon Jovi syle) and RYFAY had some interesting stuff.

But ACAS was so hyped, and that´s why it came crashing dowm imo.

I have listend to the album about 4 times when it was released and 2 times the other day.
I still think it sucks :x

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:55 am

from_the_inside wrote:But ACAS was so hyped, and that´s why it came crashing dowm imo.
I'm not picking this particular post to harp on my point (and I'm not jumping on a soap box here, honestly)... but alot of hype came from the fans too. Some posts on this site months before the album came out made it sound like ACAS was going to be THE ONE!!!!!! True, there were some suggestions via released artwork and such that got us thinking along those lines, but for some... the vote was locked in before the darn songs came out.

And being as I'm already talking about it, I think the 30 second clips of each song that were released before the album came out put the album out of context.

Okay, okay I'll shut up now.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:12 am

You know? I agree with you, Shoey. I really do.

I think that a lot of the time, the "old time fans" have an idea of what "it will be" and then we talk it up. But it's really just "educated guesses", "Hopes". When it doesn't 'pan out as we expected' - oh hell yeah - we're disappointed. And that's 'our' problem... It's really not 'his' fault.

We are not the artist: just the experienced (sometimes) viewer.

You're right, Shoey. I agree.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Does anyone know who the producer for ACAS was suppose to be ?
I had heard Marti Frederiksen at one time if I recall.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 pm

IMHO, I think the new album has some lackluster songwriting and production values, and somewhat of a goofy concept, which is something I've never said about an Alice album before, don't like saying, and I hope I never say again. Though the album has a few moments that are okay.

I hope at least they come off better in the live show where I will give them a chance to at least move me somewhat.
Me = Winning