Along came Alice's best album in years

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Every artist sets the bar high for themselves---I would hope---few are able to surpass their past accomplishments.
Nirvana couldn't last--except Dave Grohl---who is brilliant, which makes Kurt an idiot.
Guns N Roses were fantastic at Appetite for Destruction----now, zzzzzzzzzzzz!
Metallica---great, but got sober, married, fatherhood=St. Anger. Tragic.
Alice in Chains-----buh-bye
Queen---trying, but probably will flounder in mediocrity

The list goes on.....
But, Alice keeps pushing himself for better...."Maybe try this....." attitude. Sometime it works better than others. Desmond Child was not a good choice, that's why he didn't come back. On the other hand, Trash was his "best" album in sales.

We wouldn't have Alice if he didn't get sober....he would have died by 1982. We should be glad every day we have his musical offerings.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Just listened to the whole thing ......am really liking it. To early to love it, but that may come later. Haven't felt this good about an Alice album since Dragontown.

This is in-your-face Alice. He sounds as vibrant as ever! This is unlike any other album and I'm glad. He might just score with a whole new generation ....something new, but very old.

Just put me in the positive category for Along Came a Spider!
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:43 pm

MacQueen
I mean no disrespect here but you've totally missed the point about ACAS.
But then you go on and show disrespect!
First of all, this album REEKS of 70's rock and roll. It's both ACG and solo Alice on one record and yet you say "inspirational and musical sloth."
That is YOUR opinion.
Secondly, your whole post just seems insulting, like saying that ALice was never as good without the rest of the ACG. Which is entirely bull.
And again - that is YOUR opinion. There are many people who like Alice's solo material, but prefer the ACG. Thus, a point of view - I see no insult.
I suppose you preferred the musical hash of Dirty Diamonds which is a trainwreck to listen to. You're like that guy Iffy or Izzy...i forgot his name, who couldn't see past 1973 to save his life.
Sounds like a cool guy! LOL
I for one am glad that Alice made this album. It tells me that he's a forward thinker and he's going to continue to make records the way he sees fit, regardless of what the dinosaurs who are stuck in the tar pits say.
Again - another insult. I wonder, is your view of things the ONLY way to approach life? Others cannot have differing views - without having them insulted?
Fans who think like you make me want to LOATHE the ACG.
Sounds like YOU are the narrow minded person. Just remember - no ACG = no solo Alice Cooper.

PS - don't worry son, the time will come when your children will "disrespect" your past.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:10 am

Gee, sorry dad :P

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 am

If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts?.....certainly Alice didn't keep them from attaining that.

Something tells me that their ideas fell flat....

I believed that Alice with ACG were great TOGETHER until they were unable to work together anymore....which is why there was never a reunion. Plus, i am sure the rehearsals are brutal.....

That goes for all reunions. Its time to let go of that era....it was great, but so is everything since. Alice is great....he wanted more theatrics, THEY didn't. It's that simple. I think they made the wrong decision.
Unless, you believe that Alice is a ego-maniac that wanted to break up the band because he wanted to work with better musicians, and was chasing the money and fame.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:20 am

Alice could have died in 1983. We have had 25 years of great music since.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:03 am

GailsFriend wrote:If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts? Something tells me that their ideas fell flat....

he wanted more theatrics, THEY didn't. It's that simple.

Unless, you believe that Alice is a ego-maniac that wanted to break up the band because he wanted to work with better musicians, and was chasing the money and fame.
First part: Don't think it was their ideas as much as distribution problems, funds to keep some of their theatrical ideas going (and yes, they were involved in some theatrical planning after ACG).

Second part: I don't think it's just a matter of disagreeing on theatrics that lead to the demise of the ACG. Fatigue, for example, could be a reason.

Third part: Wow, I certainly don't believe that, but I wasn't beside him when all of this happened so what do I know.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:13 am

GailsFriend wrote:We wouldn't have Alice if he didn't get sober....he would have died by 1982.
I thought it was '83? ;) Just messing.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:22 am

GailsFriend wrote:Desmond Child was not a good choice, that's why he didn't come back.
Sorry if it seems I'm quoting you to death, but Desmond was absolutely necessary at that period in Alice's career. Maybe Alice achieved what he wanted to with Desmond and then decided to move on to another producer for Hey Stoopid, which was a different direction than TRASH. Alice mentioned in a radio interview (ROCKLINES, '89) that Desmond helped write many songs he considered rockers (I Hate Myself For Loving You - Joan Jett, Dude Looks Like A Lady - Aerosmith... for example) and he wanted the next album after Raise Your Fist And Yell to be more "radioable".

Enter Desmond... who helped Alice do just that.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 am

GailsFriend wrote:If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts?.....certainly Alice didn't keep them from attaining that.
Not IF - they were and are fantastic. I'm sorry you don't know that.
I believed that Alice with ACG were great TOGETHER until they were unable to work together anymore....which is why there was never a reunion. Plus, i am sure the rehearsals are brutal.....
???????
That goes for all reunions. Its time to let go of that era....it was great, but so is everything since. Alice is great....he wanted more theatrics, THEY didn't. It's that simple. I think they made the wrong decision.
Wow....I am glad you are so up-to-date on Alice's history. The "theatrics" BS has been put to sleep for quite a while now.
Just my opinion....but I think the majority of celebs have some ego-mania in them. But sense, I don't know Alice very well, I'll leave the reasons for the band's break-up in your hands.....I guess you must have been there.

Owepar
Trash
Trash

Post by Owepar » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:21 am

Me thinks a few board members are in dire need of some valium... :p
Born Dead

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 am

I think this is going to be his biggest in terms of sales in a long time. Alice is giving the public EXACTLY what they want - the cartoon one dimensional image of what most people think AC is all about. I became an Alice fan on account of the lyrical depth of songs like Dwight Frye, Generation Landslide, and Eighteen. He wrote such fantastic lyrics - I'm stunned by this one. For what it's worth, I honestly hope he gets some exposure with this one but for my tastes - this is a total letdown.

Jed Raven
Trash
Trash

Post by Jed Raven » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:09 am

Owepar wrote:Me thinks a few board members are in dire need of some valium... :p
Can I just say that, as a newcomer, I'm reading this board and wondering if it's always quite so unfriendly. It seems snide comments and sarcasm are rife here. Hardly welcoming for newcomers, is it?

Just an opinion from a fresh pair of eyes, that's all...

Can't wait for ACAS, here :laugh:
Cadaver eyes upon me see... nothing.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Quote McQueen:
"(Wrtiters note: I'm not really mad at Si for his review of Trash, nor am I trying to start a war with facless strangers.)"

You don't like my review of Trash (where is that?). Wait until I review ACAS ;)

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm

MacQueen wrote:Fans who think like you make me want to LOATHE the ACG.
MacQueen you may not agree with what Parish said (and I don't agree with his views on the new album either) but please don't ever say that he wants to make you want to loathe the ACG.

They have done nothing but help make Alice what he is, Alice has done great stuff since with the help of greats like Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter and they were also important session players on some of those ACG albums, but never disrespect the legends that are Michael Bruce, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Glen Buxton.

I have been fortunate enough to have met as well as Alice, Michael, Dennis and Neal and they were all really nice guys.

Sadly i never got to meet Glen, but he is one of my guitar heroes.

How do you think his family feel when you say what you have said?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:58 pm

You're correct Steven. I retract what I've said earlier.

And thanks Si, you've made my morning. lol

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:31 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Sometime it works better than others. Desmond Child was not a good choice, that's why he didn't come back.
According to Alice?
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Jed Raven wrote:Can I just say that, as a newcomer, I'm reading this board and wondering if it's always quite so unfriendly.
If you're reading the board often and doing some decent archive research you'll have your own answer.

And welcome.
Me = Winning

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:01 pm

GailsFriend wrote:If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts?.....certainly Alice didn't keep them from attaining that.

You're right, it was Shep

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Don't hang on to the past....I know the music was WAY better then, but....there are still brilliant bands today.
So why can't someone have both?
Me = Winning