SOUND CLIPS

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:02 pm

That is just it though. I can't relax and enjoy it. Believe me, I've tried. I have even been able to get into the last two albums. This one is just too much. I shouldn't have to force myself to enjoy a song....and I think that is what we have had to do as of late. Where are the hooks? Give me something that my ears wouldn't mind hearing again.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Why do some think a few reviews by members will make up our mind on if we like or dislike the new disc ?? I think most of us are adults and fans and we plan on making up our own minds. Man, over the years Alice has had some bad reviews and varied efforts and styles, but we are still here buying new product and showing up at shows. I could care less if the cd makes the top spot on billboard or if Rolling Stone gives it a review or even bothers to review it. I will buy it, make up my own mind and see the concert regardless.

Prince Alice
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Prince Alice » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:18 pm

Evan442 wrote: I didn't like it at first...but its growing on me.
That's the way any great album should be......I've been that way about several Alice CDs. Like "Killer," it actually didn't make it in to my top 5 for awhile or even Welcome To My Nightmare :x , both didn't grab me by the throat and rattle my cage like the first two Alice CDs I got, "Dragontown" and "Brutal Planet". But of-course now WTMN & Killer are way up there in my favs :grin: . What I mean to say, is the best albums I ever bought have always taken time to grow on me(in fact some music I've gotten I didn't like at all..........................At first :8): ), it's never happened in the first several listenings.

Now I really want the 29th to be here so I can judge the tracks for my self!
Last edited by Prince Alice on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand!..
check it out: www.uhfd.com

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 pm

I can't remember the last time I've been this exited about an Alice album or any other album for that matter. Rob Zombie's bassist Piggy is working his ass off helping Alice promote this and Gabrielle Geiselman's photography has been amazing. The storyline is right down my alley and the fact that even with some of the negative reviews people are saying it's different from anything he's done is very refreshing to hear.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:05 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:That is just it though. I can't relax and enjoy it. Believe me, I've tried. I have even been able to get into the last two albums. This one is just too much. I shouldn't have to force myself to enjoy a song....and I think that is what we have had to do as of late. Where are the hooks? Give me something that my ears wouldn't mind hearing again.
From Alice long ago..."You are the only censor. If you don't like what I say, you have a choice. You can turn me off."

Music is so subjective. You'll never get everyone to like something. As had been said by me and others the great thing about Alice is there is so much variety in his work. No need to force yourself to listen to something you don't like.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 am

Prince Alice wrote:That's the way any great album should be......
You're already calling this a great album?
Me = Winning

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 am

Prince Alice wrote:
Evan442 wrote: I didn't like it at first...but its growing on me.
That's the way any great album should be......I've been that way about several Alice CDs. Like "Killer," it actually didn't make it in to my top 5 for awhile or even Welcome To My Nightmare :x , both didn't grab me by the throat and rattle my cage like the first two Alice CDs I got, "Dragontown" and "Brutal Planet". But of-course now WTMN & Killer are way up there in my favs :grin: . What I mean to say, is the best albums I ever bought have always taken time to grow on me(in fact some music I've gotten I didn't like at all..........................At first :8): ), it's never happened in the first several listenings.

Now I really want the 29th to be here so I can judge the tracks for my self!

I hear ya. I didn't much like the Schools Out album when I got it either..it took a while to grow on me. Actually it took about 2 years until it did as it was not what I was expecting..I was expecting something that sounded like LITD or Killer.

The first night I heard ACAS all the way through it didn't quite grab me BUT hardly any album the first time I hear it grabs me on first or second or third and so on listens

The next day I heard ACAS all the way through in my car turned up loud and it was then that it grabbed me..I think that is pretty quick as most new music doesn't grab me that fast.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:30 am

The moment I heard the album I knew there were going to be some disappointed people. The majority of the album is very retro sounding while a few are not (Vengeance is Mine, Catch Me If You Can, I Am The Spider, and The One That Got Away).

It really sounds to me like an album that had multiple producers that were on very different pages.

That said... there is quality material here. It's definitely not what I expected, though. I agree that for an album about a serial killer, this production style is certainly a bit of an odd choice.

As far as forming a definitive opinion, I learned long ago that much time must pass before I can really decide just where an Alice album ranks for me... and thus determine my real opinion about it's quality. For example, while I initially really dug "Dirty Diamonds", I've found that overall the material doesn't hold up as well as "The Eyes of Alice Cooper" which I love and feel is a real quality album.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

hannu30
Trash
Trash

Post by hannu30 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 am

Agree completely

Besides the voice you really couldn't tell this was a coop album. The lyrics aren't witty, well, they aren't even good. The album doesn't rock for a second, and it's not dark enough to compensate it.

The concept may be inventive (well...) but the songs aren't. I really do feel like I could have written them myself. (If I had Slash plutting in the solos)

Terrible let-down. And the people who are waiting for the big climax are gonna be shattered I guess...

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 am

hannu30 wrote: Terrible let-down. And the people who are waiting for the big climax are gonna be shattered I guess...
I know. I feel kinda naive to get taken in by the promotion. I actually had faith that this might even be a comeback for Alice. I can't see anyone who is a non-fan listening to this. Honestly, Dirty Diamonds seemed like more of a concept album. I agree with the multiple producers comment.

Unfortunately, this is the last straw for me. I'm never going to believe Alice again when it comes to his albums. I'll still try them out and I'll still hit all of the tours, but I really don't see him releasing anymore masterpieces. I think his writing genius days are over. My fault for being taken in by it, but I really thought this album was going to rock.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 am

To each their own...

I had to see for myself so I checked out those 30 second samples and as I suspected they do not give the whole vibe of the songs or album. I have heard it in it's entirity and I feel it's great. :) ...Been a fan since 1981
Last edited by steven15322 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:17 am

That's the problem with getting your expectations all up high. They are rarely met.
It's like when a bunch of people all tell you this movie is so awesome and you get all excited about it then you go see it and it just seems ok.

There are probably going to be some of you who end up liking it better in a few months when you start listening to it with no expectations or preconceptions. And I am sure some that will never like it.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 am

nimsowner wrote:That's the problem with getting your expectations all up high. They are rarely met.
It's like when a bunch of people all tell you this movie is so awesome and you get all excited about it then you go see it and it just seems ok.

There are probably going to be some of you who end up liking it better in a few months when you start listening to it with no expectations or preconceptions. And I am sure some that will never like it.

I hear ya. Also about movies. I have heard many people and critics knock a movie saying oh its bad, terrible etc..But when I actually see the movie alot of the time my opinion is different than those and alot of the time I like what they don't. Same here I guess with ACAS I love it when some don't. Not gonna stop me from telling my friends and recommending it. Or enjoying it :clap:

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:21 am

I'm amazed at how a few are so quick to declare this album "terrible".

At least live with it a little while.

And remember... at least Alice puts on the greatest show on earth... unlike Motley Crue who is a notoriously lame live band and I hear Vince is singing every other line again this tour. ;)

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:29 am

I wouldn't know, as I have not seen them yet. I'll be sure to post a review once I have. I have never said that Alice is anything less than the Master of showmanship on stage.

I do know however that Crue's latest album is far better than ACAS or anything else Alice has released in a long time. It's kinda funny.....in a couple of the songs, Vince actually sounds like Alice. I guess I can pretend. :)

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:42 am

Crue fan here..Not really impressed with SOLA Wheres the ballad? All Crue albums had a ballad of some sort until now..New Tattoo was better...Again we all have our own opinion :)
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:47 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:I wouldn't know, as I have not seen them yet. I'll be sure to post a review once I have. I have never said that Alice is anything less than the Master of showmanship on stage.

I do know however that Crue's latest album is far better than ACAS or anything else Alice has released in a long time. It's kinda funny.....in a couple of the songs, Vince actually sounds like Alice. I guess I can pretend. :)
The new Crue album isn't bad... but I don't agree that's it better than anything Alice has released in a long time. It's got about 4 good tunes on it and a bunch of a filler.

I've seen the Crue live before... they were ok from what I remember but that's about it... as far as this tour, I have no interest in sitting through 3 or 4 bands I don't care about only to see Motley play a fairly short set.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:22 am

My favorite track on SOLA is 'Animal in Me'. It could easily be an Alice track.

Prince Alice
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Prince Alice » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:37 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
Prince Alice wrote:That's the way any great album should be......
You're already calling this a great album?

I guess what I mean is any "quality" album!....Is that better to say? But I can't really say 'till I hear it on the 29th!
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand!..
check it out: www.uhfd.com

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:01 am

Just remember....there are people on this board who think that Lace and Whiskey and Special Forces are good albums.

nuff said........I'll wait for the album, and pass my own judgement.......as a group of Alice fans, we are all over the map in opinions.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"