ACAS Track Available NOW

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:53 pm

I have great expectations for this cd but after repeated listening of Vengence, I am not in love with it, which is strange because it is a hard rocker with lot's of guitar. To me, it sounds a little cold, where it should be smoking hot with all that guitar. The guitar does sound like "noodling" instead of a passionate riff played with a purpose. I also read the interview with Danny Hampton who states he wrote most of the songs and he and Danny Saber play 90% of the guitars on the cd. And that to me might be what is lacking on Vengence. It has a studio hired gun feel to it. I would rather have seen Kerri Kelly or Jason do the playing on this. These guys live and breathe the Coop about 5 months a year every night and have a feel for the music. If you write it, record it and tour it, you play it like you mean it. I am sure when played live, these songs will be brought to life by Alice's band.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:06 pm

as i posted before its very much like dragontown. didnt like that much. but lets hear the whole album first.[/quote]

Yeah i gotta agree , although i like some tunes off BP and DT overall i don't get into them that much . Where s i can hammer Da Da , goes to hell and many others that i guess many here hate .

Im hoping this tune is nt setting the overall direction of the album . I found myself waiting for a big twist in the middle of the tune , that never came . But hey the album is nt out yet so ill shut up and keep my fingers crossed and wink a juju eye . :x

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:08 pm

the thing about the coop is,after it's all said and done,there's going to be classics on this thing.we know some will hate it,and others will say it's his best.it's a sure thing.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:28 pm

I hope yer right about classics, we`re due.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm so glad I'm choosing to ignore the new song. This album's going to rock like the one before it, and the one before that one and...

It's one component to the whole puzzle. I miss those days where you didn't hear any tracks until they were officially released. Call me nostalgic. :/
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 pm

*points at Shoey* Nostalgic.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:23 pm

revinkevin wrote:I have great expectations for this cd but after repeated listening of Vengence, I am not in love with it, which is strange because it is a hard rocker with lot's of guitar. To me, it sounds a little cold, where it should be smoking hot with all that guitar. The guitar does sound like "noodling" instead of a passionate riff played with a purpose. I also read the interview with Danny Hampton who states he wrote most of the songs and he and Danny Saber play 90% of the guitars on the cd. And that to me might be what is lacking on Vengence. It has a studio hired gun feel to it. I would rather have seen Kerri Kelly or Jason do the playing on this.
Personally I think you might be under the power of suggestion here. I bet most people thought the song was done by Keri and Jason anyway. If Danny hadn't said anything, I bet people would still think that. Slash is also doing the guitar solo noodling in it.

And just off the top of your head, what would be different if Keri or Jason was playing on it? Different guitar tones?

Danny sounds like a good guitar player on here IMHO. I am not sure it makes too much different who plays what as it probably would have been played the same way anyway considering the song was already written.
Me = Winning

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:54 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:*points at Shoey* Nostalgic.
Dangnabit, young whipper-snappers. Once I fetch my teeth you'll get a talkin' to... :nono: after my nap. :halloween-17:
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:03 pm

No, not the power of suggestion. I have been a Cooper fan from the early seventies so my taste in music is pretty grounded and I am use to changing band members. It's just that listing to Vengence it just sounds cold. Maybe a little over produced compared to his last couple of releases. I also have played guitar for close to 30 years and that really does sound like noodling to me. Not that I could even come close to playing like Slash or Hampton, but there seems to be little passion in the playing. Speed and flash are nothing without substance. As for different guitar tones from Jason or Kerri, maybe, but more so in live performances than in the studio. Good guitar players bring their own personality to the table and sometimes that can get lost in the studio if a producer tries to get too cute with all the technology. Buxton and Bruce may have been the least technically gifted of all of Alice's guitarists, but just look and listen to what they accomplished. They had serious attitude and chops. I think the attitude carried over into the songwriting and onto the stage. Something that is hard to do with studio muscians in most cases. Just my opinion. And I still have great expectations for this release.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:09 am

Interesting point.

I realise that I do't necessarily have the same expectations as other fans. I hope I can explain this, I am not very good with words.

Some may say that the lyrics are sometimes weak (I read it now and then), but I don't think it's the main point. To me Alice is mostly about phrasing, his lyrics can be witty, emotional, silly, or anything but it's the phrasing that makes the difference.

I am a very visual person. For a long time I could not understand why some people need to take drugs or drink to "see" or experience odd effects. That's when I realised it wasn't a usual things for people to picture things in their minds like I do.
Well anyone who reads a book will have "pictures" in their minds to match the text? I have that with most music too. I see colours or shapes, and often a whole movie or « video » takes ahpe in my imagination. When I first got into Alice Cooper, I was reading books by Tim Powers among others, and Alice's music seemed like a perfect soundtrack to that steampunk ambiance (Tim is one of the precursors of steampunk)

This means I judge an album not so much musically or lyrically but by the amount of images that stick in my mind. This is why my favourite Cooper albums are Dada, and Hey Stoopid.

In fact Hey Stoopid is the perfect example of what I am trying to explain. I can't say I like the lyrics there, they are very basic (fun, but not very deep?) but the imagery that goes with it in my mind is fabulous. A song like Feed My Frankenstein and it's really crude lyrics, I like it but it wouldn't have stuck in my memory if not for the images. And the «video » of it in my mind has nothing to do with the lyrics. I wish I had some skills with film making I've tried in the past but I cannot do what I want. In my mind some of the scarier scenes of the book « the Stress of Her Regard » by Tim Powers and this album will forever be mingled. Especially the solo by Slash and the « Lamiae » of the book. I highly recommend that book by the way .

All this to say that I wonder what ACAS will bring. I wonder if the imagery of it will make me like it. I can't wait to live a new adventure in Alice Land!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 am

I have to say that "Vengeance of Mine" works well within the context of the album.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."