For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Clearwater Show

Post by Dragonlady » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm

That's true, for a fan it's a choice between wanting to be close to the "action" or get a good sound. I always go for the former, but if I ever go to several shows in a row I might treat myself to a more central place.
Then again with seated venues it's more likely to happen.

I always stand on the right side (from our point of view, that is Keri's place now) and usually I get enough sound to hear Alice all the time. As I said in my review of Montreux it was a bit odd there as Alice's voice went completely into the speakers on the side where he was standing so that when he was all the way over Chuck's space we couldn't hear Alice's voice at all.

I bet it sounds great from the middle of the hall but I never heard something that extreme. Certainly didn't stop me from enjoying every minute and I know it's all "my fault" if I don't get the full sound :)

jimthai
Trash
Trash

Post by jimthai » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:53 pm

We went to a George Thorogood show at Hard Rock in Orlando,had front row and the sound was great! :rock:

Here are my pics from the show in Clearwater.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/jimnfla/

Rippin Richie
Trash
Trash

Post by Rippin Richie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:29 pm

We were at the back in the middle in Durham and couldn't hear the vocals very well.

I think they had a choice of loud or clear and they went with loud. I would have preferred clear.

Seemed like they got his vocal way up in the mix for the encore, though.
Donny Osmond!!!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Perhaps some of you guys should apply for the job of Alice's sound guy if you can do a better job with the equipment available.
Randy is a professional with years of experience. Believe me no one is as pissed off as he is if the sound isn`t good in a venue, but there is only so much you can do on a given night.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Si is right.

Let me tell you about my own experience at an Alice show which was held on Halloween 1989, the first night of the Trash tour. It took place at The Cathouse in Los Angeles. I managed to get front row centre and there was no barrier at all. I was so close that I could have touched Alice's feet.

When the show started, I was so excited but then I became confused. The music sounded great but I could not hear Alice's voice at all. It looked like Alice was mouthing the words but no sound was coming out. My husband explained to me that we were so close that we were behind the speakers and therefore could not hear his voice.

So it happens in all sorts of venues when you are that close to the stage. It depends where you are vis a vis the speakers.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:08 pm

One venue in Indianapolis (last one I went to for an Alice show) Alice sounded like he was in a barn down the road because of where we were just a few feet from the stage + sound system setup. Guitars/Bass were coming through perfectly.

2005 just down the road at an Amphitheater his vocal monitor was faced outward where I was placed with my photo pass and Alice's vocals about blew my ear drums out.

It just really depends on where you are and what type of set up it is.
Me = Winning

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Exactly. I've talked with some professional sound people and it's often a real challenge. And of course they all advise you to sit right in front of the mixing table that's the best place for sound.

Friday and Saturday I will be at the CIA in Cardiff, last year I was there to see Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, the sound was extraordinary and we sat in on of the side wings. I was very keen on letting the sound people know how much I appreciated their work, and we just about made it before the hall was emptied. We told Roy how amazing it had been. It's easy to critisise, but they reall do the best they can. Roy always laughs at people like me who want to be in the front :grin: but what can you say.

Master Shake
Killer
Killer

Post by Master Shake » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:47 am

I was actually very impressed with the sound at the Perth show, was right up against the rail and could hear everything fine which is probably a first. i think certain levels went up and down at times but over all it was certainly one of the better sounded concerts ive been to (sorry just couldnt beat the sound from Roger Waters... quadrophonic and... just wow)
i can directly compare Alice too the Deep Purple concet i also saw at the exact same venue in which i was also right at the front. zero vocals (i considered this probably a good thing these days lol) and ear bleeding Steve Morse to the point it was uncomforable and horrible.

Perth doesnt really have any concert venues and they are generally shocking sound (especially if they are at the dome which if you know anything about acoustics it speaks for itself)
was very impressed with the night all over

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Si, i just think people are a little dissapointed that they can't hear their idol's voice to clearly. Most of us realize that the theaters are not built for rock shows and that the sound guys have their work cut out. Hopefully, new technology is just around the corner.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:13 am

I have been told that the bootleg of this show has the best sound of any for the entire tour so far.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Under_my_Wheels
Trash
Trash

Post by Under_my_Wheels » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am

[quote=" Loved the mike stand stabbing . Alice played on this by constantly driving the mike stand through his victim to the beat of the music whilst she was laying on the floor. [/quote]

You just made my day. Last time I saw this was. I think , on the Nightmare Returns tour when he stabbed an annoying cameraman. Im taking my teenage daughters to Manchester UK gig and they are in for an absolute treat reading the report of the US shows.
"My ambition in life is to live forever............So far, so good."