Detroit Stories Review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Re: Detroit Stories Review

Post by lordcatfish » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:27 pm

^ I agree that the Breadcrumbs tracks sounded better on the EP. Are they the same recordings or have they been reworked a little?

I think it's a good album. Still early days but probably on par with Paranormal. Early highlights at the moment for me are "Independence Dave" (get a little bit of an early '80s vibe with this one), "Wonderful World" and "$1000 High Heels" (along with "Go Man Go" which we're already familiar with). "Don't Give Up" is much better here - sounds a little more immediate.

DeadBaby
Trash
Trash

Post by DeadBaby » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:46 pm

I have listened to this 3 times today and have to say I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting after hearing the 30 second clips. As has been mentioned before those clips should be taken with a pinch of salt. The wonders of digital music/ipod means I have tagged the two missing Breadcrumbs tracks on the end. They fit perfectly (unsurprisingly) and the run time is still under an hour so not too long. Off to listen again! :rock: :rock: :rock:

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:29 pm

got it ripped it played it loved it.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:09 pm

There are no great songs on the album. There are two dreadful songs on the album. There are two songs I like on the album. It all seems very contrived and Ezrins production is again sterile. 4/10.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Like the actual Detriot today, Alice has become a former shell that can only live off his past.

I'm going to be completely honest. This IS Alice Cooper now. And this IS the new Alice Cooper album. It's only one step above Paranormal..but what does that matter? Alice is constantly aiming for 1971 but keeps hitting 1977. While it may not be as bad as Paranormal, or as Cringe as the two god awful Hollywood Vampires and Rise, Detriot Stories is just BASIC. It's bland meat and potatoes, paint by numbers, 4/4 rock and roll that impresses very little and goes absolutely nowhere.

Instead of burchering Detriot City...yes that rap at the end is pure cringe...he should have redone Ubangi Stomp, and Damned if You Do. It would have been understandable and fitted the album better. Rock and Roll does nothing and once again...that 'Turn it up' at the end takes me out of the song.

"Fine, fine music" indeed. Jesus Alice....no words man.

Go Man Go, Wonderful World, Drunk and In Love were actually the standouts. I swear, if he would have stopped with the covers and given us all something original in the same vein as those later two songs, this record would have been killer. I would have welcomed an Alice Cooper R&B record that was heavily driven by drums and bass.

I Hate You was realy cool, reminded me of Kiss' You Wanted The Best...but better. East Side Story should have OPENED the album. Having it be the closer is a damn shame. However, including the Breadcrumbs songs doesn't really help Detriot Stories much.

Lastly, Hanging On By A Thread shouldn't be on the album. It stands out like a severely sore thumb on a record that has plenty of sore thumbs already. Once again the whole "This is Alice from Detriot..." ending wasn't needed. Honestly? Why is the song even there?

We get it Alice, you love Detriot and 1971. Can you respectfully STFU about it now?

Seriously, If he loves Detroit so much then he should have gone full Motown. I'll say it one final time. A full original, non apologetic R&B record would have been TIGHT! Alice can do straight up blues and R&B and somehow give it a film noir feeling. This could have been as good as Dirty Diamonds because it's honestly the last time Alice has made a good retroactive record.

And it would have served that fabled 'detroit sound' much, much, better.

3/10. Won't be listening to it ever again. I'm hoping this is his last album. Because I couldn't bear seeing ALice trying to recapture 1971 once more. Enough is enough. Someone please tell him what year it is.
Last edited by MacQueen on Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpacedOutAce
Trash
Trash

Post by SpacedOutAce » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:57 pm

Why does Alice Cooper need a credits list that could scroll up the screen like a film because it is so long?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:08 pm

I'm buying this strictly cause Neal, Michael and Dennis are on it...

Gotta support the team as it were... :clap:

SpacedOutAce
Trash
Trash

Post by SpacedOutAce » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:10 pm

MacQueen wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm
Like the actual Detriot today, Alice has become a former shell that can only live off his past.

I'm going to be completely honest. This IS Alice Cooper now. And this IS the new Alice Cooper album. It's only one step above Paranormal..but what does that matter? Alice is constantly aiming for 1971 but keeps hitting 1977. While it may not be as bad as Paranormal, or as Cringe as the two god awful Hollywood Vampires and Rise, Detriot Stories is just BASIC. It's bland meat and potatoes, paint by numbers, 4/4 rock and roll that impresses very little and goes absolutely nowhere.

Instead of burchering Detriot City...yes that rap at the end is pure cringe...he should have redone Ubangi Stomp, and Damned if You Do. It would have been understandable and fitted the album better. Rock and Roll does nothing and once again...that 'Turn it up' at the end takes me out of the song.

"Fine, fine music" indeed. Jesus ALice....no words man.

Go Man Go, Wonderful World, Drunk and In Love were actually the standouts. I swear, if he would have stopped with the covers and given us all something original in the same vein as those later two songs, this record would have been killer. I would have welcomed an Alice Cooper R&B record that was heavily driven by drums and bass.

I Hate You was realy cool, reminded me of Kiss' You Wanted The Best...but better. East Side Story should have OPENED the album. Having it be the closer is a damn shame. However, including the Breadcrumbs songs doesn't really help Detriot Stories much.

Lastly, Hanging On By A Thread shouldn't be on the album. It stands out like a severely sore thumb on a record that has plenty of sore thumbs already. Once again the whole "This is Alice from Detriot..." ending wasn't needed.

We get it Alice, you love Detriot and 1971. Can you respectfully STFU about it now?

Seriously, If he loves Detroit so much then he should have gone full Motown. I'll say it one final time. A full original, non apologetic R&B record would have been TIGHT! Alice can do straight up blues and R&B and somehow give it a film noir feeling. This could have been as good as Dirty Diamonds because it's honestly the last time Alice has made a good retroactive record.

3/10. Won't be listening to it ever again. I'm hoping this is his last album. Because I couldn't bear seeing ALice trying to recapture 1971 once more. Enough is enough. SOmeone please tell him what year it is.
I agree that the attempts to "recapture" 1971 are dreadful. Any attempts to recapture anything, whether in film or in music, are absolutely guaranteed failures. They are built in from the first second to the last to fail. It is the rule, not the exception. Why? Because you are going to be measuring it against what it is they are attempting to recapture. It is a pointless endeavor, really.

I think this album might be worse than Paranormal on first listen. Between the film crew worthy list of musicians to the 15 tracks, etc., as a whole, this thing is a mess. 9-10 songs, 32-40 minutes, a band. There doesn't need to be 15+ tracks, an hour plus of music, 25 people in and out of the studio. Dump Ezrin for Christ's sake. He wasn't good with KISS, and he was only good with Alice because Alice could polish Ezrin's awful ideas into something decent. And guess what? That last Ezrin album (Lace and Whiskey) before the split sucked, and the follow-up (From the Inside) is leagues better.

At this point, if Ace Frehley and Alice Cooper don't get contracted by Frontiers to produce an album (WITHOUT Ezrin), I don't think I'll care what either of them do going forward.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:17 pm

I just got done listening to the album. I throughly enjoyed it! Standout tracks for me are Go Man Go, Social Debris, Hail Mary, and my favorite song on the album Wonderful World, which is a FANTASTIC song. It has a Last Temptation vibe to it and I can already see that song growing on me big time. I will say that the original version of Detroit City is much better than the 2021 version.. but what he did with it definitely makes it fit in on this album. Overall, I’d say it’s a very enjoyable album and I love the vibe of it. :alice:
"I'm just another case…”

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:29 pm

I've listened to the album twice now and will fully admit that it's much better than I thought it would be. I still think it's his worst album in 40 years and it doesn't really sound that much like Alice Cooper. I agree with others that if he'd cut the cover songs, it would be better - the originals are generally the stronger songs and the album would be a better length.

I like it because I like almost everything Alice does, but I'd say it's a significant step down from Paranormal and W2MN. In fact, I listened to Paranormal immediately after my first listen of Detroit Stories and was jamming much harder to Paranormal.
MacQueen wrote:
Lastly, Hanging On By A Thread shouldn't be on the album. It stands out like a severely sore thumb on a record that has plenty of sore thumbs already. Once again the whole "This is Alice from Detriot..." ending wasn't needed. Honestly? Why is the song even there?
You're right that it sticks out, but that's because it's the best song on the album and is the one that sounds most like Alice Cooper!

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:52 pm

For the first time ever I had really low expectations for an Alice album but hats off its way better than I thought it would be. I love the theatre of Alice, I love the horror, the twisted, the devilish Alice but this is just pure rock n roll.
Wayne Kramer is absolutely outstanding on it and brings a different element of sound to the album.
After two listens, even with the covers, there's no fillers. The second album in a row with no ballad but the €1000 High Heel Shoes and Drunk and in Love give it a nice direction away from the pure thrill a minute rock n roll of this album.
Our Love Will Change the world, €1000 High Heel Shoes, Drunk and In Love, I Hate You, Wonderful World, Shut up and Rock are all personal faves early on. I actually think the album version of Hanging by a thread is better ( and I loved the single release last year). Love it!

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 pm

The other day i got an email to say my vinyl copy of the album wont arrive before Monday, royal mail have just notified me il get it tomorrow via tracked 24. Fair play to the uk store, mistakes happen and they sorted what needed sorted in the best way they could. I have the blu ray for tonight, was going to fire the cd on via my ps4 hooked up to my speakers but il hold off now

SpacedOutAce
Trash
Trash

Post by SpacedOutAce » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:19 pm

I wish Drunk and In Love didn't fade out. I mean, if we're going to do a blues pastiche, then end it like one. C'mon, give us an interesting blues turn around to end on. The fade out just seems a tad bit like, "Eh, we're too lazy to finish it and gotta send it off to mastering. Just fade out."

EDIT: I don't think Hanging On By a Thread needed the intro, outro, and middle bits. It is pretty heavy handed, and I think given the context, we get what it is alluding to.

As for Shut Up and Rock, I like it upon second listen, but why is it barely even a song? It really could've used something more.
Last edited by SpacedOutAce on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your feedback. My vinyl should be arriving any moment, but I'll need to wait until my two year old goes to bed or else I won't have a record or a record player anymore.

For the record, I loved Paranormal - easily my favorite Alice album of the last 2 decades, including Hollywood Vampires. My expectation for this was very low due to more covers, though I thoroughly enjoyed Breadcrumbs. Did not and still do not like Hanging by a thread. Sounds like it was recorded with midi instruments on a windows 98 computer to me. Hopefully the album mix is better.

Hearing where others rank Detroit Stories has actually raised my expectations a bit. It is still an Alice Cooper album afterall. We are lucky the man has had such a prolific career. I will listen and I will listen again because I love Alice and even when the man releases something flawed, I am fascinated. He's an artist.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:57 pm

I think is a good though not spectactular album. I like it better than Paranormal and Along Came a Spider but not as much as the others. Actually the original band songs are the ones that are kind of Meh in my opinion. I would probably give the album a 7 out of 10 overall but the production is a bit on the sterile side. I would like to hear Alice go in a completely different more hard rocking direction on the next album. Still this is a good listen. I am not sure that it will be in regular rotation for very long but not bad at all.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 pm

SpacedOutAce wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:10 pm
MacQueen wrote:

"Fine, fine music" indeed. Jesus ALice....no words man.

Lastly, Hanging On By A Thread shouldn't be on the album. It stands out like a severely sore thumb on a record that has plenty of sore thumbs already. Once again the whole "This is Alice from Detriot..." ending wasn't needed.

3/10. Won't be listening to it ever again. I'm hoping this is his last album. Because I couldn't bear seeing ALice trying to recapture 1971 once more. Enough is enough. SOmeone please tell him what year it is.
I agree that the attempts to "recapture" 1971 are dreadful. Any attempts to recapture anything, whether in film or in music, are absolutely guaranteed failures. They are built in from the first second to the last to fail. It is the rule, not the exception. Why? Because you are going to be measuring it against what it is they are attempting to recapture. It is a pointless endeavor, really.

I think this album might be worse than Paranormal on first listen. Between the film crew worthy list of musicians to the 15 tracks, etc., as a whole, this thing is a mess. 9-10 songs, 32-40 minutes, a band. There doesn't need to be 15+ tracks, an hour plus of music, 25 people in and out of the studio. Dump Ezrin for Christ's sake. He wasn't good with KISS, and he was only good with Alice because Alice could polish Ezrin's awful ideas into something decent. And guess what? That last Ezrin album (Lace and Whiskey) before the split sucked, and the follow-up (From the Inside) is leagues better.

At this point, if Ace Frehley and Alice Cooper don't get contracted by Frontiers to produce an album (WITHOUT Ezrin), I don't think I'll care what either of them do going forward.
Literally just read an interview with Coop saying he and Ezrin are already working on the next album and aim to get it done before they go back out on tour

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:47 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath. This one took about a year.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:39 am

Yeah I heard in the live Q&A yesterday that Alice and Ezrin are working on the next album and the next HV album is also in the works. Whether we like it or not, Ezrin will continue to be in the fold, likely until the end of AC’s career. Maybe we’ll get a solid, conceptually sinister album for the next one, but the excessive tongue in cheek humour the both of them enjoy may make that next to impossible.

I do hope that the next album is more dynamic. Some of the songs on DS are a bit too short and formulaic. I agree with Shut Up and Rock needing a longer guitar solo. I mean the song is called Shut Up and Rock, and while I enjoy the lyrics/direction, it needs more guitar work.

Btw - I truly enjoy reading all of the different perspectives on here. This album seems to be quite polarizing so it’s interesting to read the comparisons.

Here’s my breakdown of the tracks:

Rock n’ Roll:
Good opening, but I thought it would be a bit edgier. Still a good track though.
4/5

Go Man Go
I appreciate the slight changes to the Breadcrumbs version to make it sound a bit different. Good rocking track that I still enjoy.
4/5

Our Love Will Change The World
Odd track, but it’s an AC album so expect the unexpected and it’s a welcomed in pace. Catchy song after a few listens.
4/5

Social Debris
Absolutely love this track. My only criticism is the beginning starts off rather slow and plodding. But that guitar solo is gold and captures the OG sound perfectly, just wish it was a bit longer - similar to Pass the Gun Around.
4.5/5

1,000 High Heel Shoes
If the entire album was in the style of this song, I wouldn’t mind that at all. It’s so catchy with the background singers and flows really well.
5/5

Hail Mary
Standard rocker. Has anyone noticed the 60s Batman theme song throughout? Pretty cool.
4/5

Detroit City 2021
I enjoyed this on Eyes, but why did it have to be the same track, just reworked? Disrupts the flow of the album IMO. This is where the album starts to take a hit.
3/5

Drunk and In Love
It’s about time Alice has incorporated the harmonica again. But the track feels rather repetitive and the album starts to slow a bit.
3.5/5

Independence Dave
50s vibe, good song to pick things up again. Not a track that overstays its welcome. It might benefit from more guitar work though, but all in all I enjoyed it.
4/5

I Hate You
Don’t get me wrong, I “appreciate” this song for what it set out to do. But it’s not catchy and just feels like it’s there to move things along. I expected better from the OG. The concept of the song reminds me of “I’m So Angry”, but at least that was catchy. And although this is more humourous, it’s dry in execution.
2.5/5

Wonderful World
As someone pointed out here, I could easily see this on TLT. A very AC type of song that effectively captures his sinister vibe. Love how the song title makes you think it will be positive.
4.5/5

Sister Anne
Heard it, enjoyed it, but another cover from Breadcrumbs that’s become a bit annoying when it plays since I already heard it from that album...
3.5/5

Hanging on By a Thread (Don’t Give Up)
Don’t particularly like that the song ends with the phone number. It’s going to wear thin after a few listens, but I get why that decision was made. Better than the pandemic version, but it does feels out of place on an album that is supposed to be an AC/DC type rock n’ roll album.
3/5

Shut Up and Rock
As I mentioned, love the song, but it’s so short. I don’t have much of a chance to really get into it before it ends. Where’s the epic guitar solo that really rocks?
3/5

East Side Story
Don’t really like this one as the closer. It’s just repetitive and not very interesting. Good guitar solo though.
3/5

Overall Album Rating: 74%

I’ll be adding the couple of tracks leftover from Breadcrumbs and reworking them into DS. It might help improve the flow even though I heard them already. I do still appreciate this release, as any release from Alice at this stage is gravy.

But it just falls into the more average category. If Alice truly wanted this to be an AC/DC type album, there would have been more epic guitar solos, less, but longer songs with at minimum 1 cover.

Looking forward to continuing to listen and potentially changing my perspective overall. But I think because it has very little “character” as in Alice, or a consistent hard rock direction - it’s simply an average rock album at this point for me.

I’ll continue to enjoy it for what it is as it’s still a good release.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:52 am

First impressions....

The production is robust. The musicianship is good. Overall very solid record. A lot of it feels more like a tribute to classic rock than an Alice Cooper album.

Standouts for me are Go man Go, Social Debris, $1000 High Heel Shoes, I Hate You, and Wonderful World, the last of which does indeed sound like something from the Last Temptation. I also like East Side Story and totally see why Alice loves that song. Our Love Will Change the World is good but the production is a little challenging to the ears.

The other originals are not bad but maybe not anything special. I didn’t need yet another version of Detroit City. It’s starting to remind me of how any time Chubby Checker came out with an album back when he was “trying,” he would throw in a new version of the Twist for good measure.

Overall, this feels like a pendulum swing a little too far from Welcome 2 My Nightmare in terms of what makes Alice’s songwriting unique. However, I still think Paranormal was the best middle ground in terms of hard rock songs mixed with dark themes and a little humor thrown in. Maybe that’s exactly what Paranormal was intended to do. And that’s not what Detroit Stories was intended to be and that’s fine.

It feels like casual fans to non-Alice fans will take to Detroit Stories more quickly and easily than diehard fans.

Oh yeah... Independence Dave - I’m sorry. I simply do not enjoy for a second Tommy’s background vocals. He is sometimes (often) what makes modern AC music difficult on the ears. They kinda killed HV - Rise for me. I feel like it’s time to move on from that creative marriage. Otherwise I enjoyed the song.

Maybe I’ll have more thoughts tomorrow when I listen again.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:48 am

Been listening just now ( it came right on time in a "limited edition with dvd :alice: )..
I quite like it and I am sure it will grow on me.
My only remark so far is on I Hate You : kind of an inside joke for Alice fans, not really a song...
As to the cooper-ation with Ezrin : imho it still works and apparently Alice feels the same way about it ...
Won't beat Paranormal but is a good album, imo at least
you really wouldn't understand..