Detroit Stories Review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Detroit Stories Review

Post by del » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:10 am

I need to stop getting sucked into reading and contributing to the pre release threads as they keep putting me in wrong frame of mind and completely ruin the build up.

I didn’t want a nostalgia trip back to Detroit or a bunch of old guy songs. I way prefer the new material even if it’s a bit hit and miss sometimes. I didn’t want it but I’m happy it’s here and I’ve enjoyed it for what it is.

Completely disagree with the diehard “career’s been over for decades” folk. The fact we are here proves the longevity. The ACG era would be long buried in the desert without the solo career.

To me there is a developing strategy here to reposition Alice as the last true rock n roll hero. HV, may have been the embryo but it may have a better chance of success here. I know my minds running away here but I can even see a TV special with a cast of thousands coming to pay homage to the music and rally round Alice as he waves the old school rock n roll flag.

I enjoyed the first listen yesterday and immediately went back to Wonderful World, East Side Story and $1000 Dollar High Heeled Shoes. Now listening right through for the third time and it’s all starting to work much better for me. I never liked the original Detroit City and much preferred the reworking. I’ll take the new version as well but never again please. I had a difficult relationship with Don’t give up last year but got over it. The end of Hanging by a Thread needs cut but apart from that I’ll happily take this version.

Apart from that I’ve taken to the album and I’m going back for more. 7/10.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Okay I know you are all waiting for my opinion with baited breath but before that I would like to point out that the marketing has been superb. I just watched a Glasgow bus go by with a poster plastered along the side.
To me Alice Cooper, at their best, is a garage band, blues rock with sneering attitude and a lot of twisted humour. This album has that in spades. I could do without Detroit City again (especially as I prefer the original) and I would have liked the OGs to have played on 'drunk and in love', especially as it is a Dennis song but it is still one of the standouts. $1000 high heel shoes, wonderful world are also superb. If you haven't heard breadcrumbs then those songs fit perfectly. The drums and guitars are excellent throughout. Not counting Detroit City there is ten Alice original songs, a full albums worth so just count the covers as a bonus if it bugs you, personally I think they are well chosen and executed. So there.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:09 pm

This album has replay value.
I prefer the dont give up version on this. might edit out the number at the end for my car playlist but it's cool he put it in.

Im not going to include Breadcrumbs in this but given an older habbit that stopped for a wee while of albums coming in 2 I wonder if the next album will be more of the same?

I would happily buy a part 2.

If could be worse, Alice seems to mention he likes tap dancing a lot these days and we know he likes vaudeville, we could be getting a fred astaire covers album next :rotfl:

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm

del wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:10 am
Completely disagree with the diehard “career’s been over for decades” folk. The fact we are here proves the longevity. The ACG era would be long buried in the desert without the solo career.
Since you refer to us as 'diehard' I'm not certain you completely disagree. If it wasn't for Alice's solo career the 'ACG era' could have continued - and how much better off the classic rock world could have been if that had been the case.

Ted

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 pm

I avoided trying to listen to the full versions of the songs on Spotify until one of my physical copies arrived in the mail. Finally last night, the 2 LP vinyl arrived...I loved this record...you can tell Alice was having a great time and seems to be very proud of what he has done on here....
The standout tracks for me are:

Social Debris (think it has to be in the stage show next time)

$1000 High Heel Shoes (this song is so freaking catchy)

Hail Mary (love Alice's voice on this)

Wonderful World (dark and very much an Alice song)

Shut up and Rock (love love this one...especially the opening lyrics....))

Special shout out to Hate You and the ode to Glen...that was awesome....

Alice, thank you for continuing to put out quality music. We are forever your loyal sick things...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm

I love the original band but have always preferred solo Alice even more.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Initial reaction was 'meh'. Subsequent (Spotify) listens have changed that so the 'good' - just about - shades the 'bad'.

Rock & Roll and East Side Story are decent enough bookends; strut & garage rock pizzazz, respectively.

$1000 High Heel Shoes is more doo-flop than wop. Sister Sledge are downright irritating in their shrillness.

Speak-singing, plus 'ho ho ho & a bottle of rum'-type backing, isn't my cup of poison. So, thumbs down for Independence Dave. Ezrin & Henriksen, almost sink Go Man Go with yet more 'pirate' vocals.

DD's I Hate You ends up being Cooper's best song since Brutal Planet. Both hilarious and moving. Whilst Wonderful World has a great 'dark' undercurrent amidst the show tune high-kicks.

Ezrin tries to turn proto-punk Sister Anne into Rocking All Over The World, but doesn't quite succeed; fortunately. And a lamer than Lazarus chorus almost fells Drunk & In Love, but the sleazy guitars cavalry arrives just in the nick of time to rescue it.

Our Love Will Change The World sounds like Herman's Hermits on LSD; which = good. As for Hail Mary & Shut Up and Rock, they're both great cartoonish piledrivers.

Ezrin's 'polishings' end up being more sterile than a vaccine lab.

Detroit Stories is something of a polarizing roller-coaster ride; the highs slightly more frequent than the lows.

Three stars (just).

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Does the solo in "Shut Up and Rock" remind anyone else of the solo "Steal That Car"? As soon as I heard it I thought it sounded pretty similar.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 pm

Giving it a 2nd listen already.

This afternoon i intensely listened, now am having a more chilled out whisky and music evening and this album is the perfect accompaniment

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:39 pm

Giving it a 2nd listen already.

This afternoon i intensely listened, now am having a more chilled out whisky and music evening and this album is the perfect accompaniment.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 am

Ted Sallis wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm
del wrote:
Since you refer to us as 'diehard' I'm not certain you completely disagree. If it wasn't for Alice's solo career the 'ACG era' could have continued - and how much better off the classic rock world could have been if that had been the case.

Ted
Oh I do disagree. Yeah, I would have liked more ACG at the time but I’m more than ok it didn’t happen given what we got instead. Ive always thought an ACG album or two after MOL could have been great but given Glens health and the troubles with MOL it may equally have seen a decline and a tarnishing of the reputation. Personally, I genuinely doubt that we would have got much more from a group which was struggling.

Fact is though it didn’t happen so we are dealing with a reality that has been great and I think the rock world has benefitted a lot from the last 50 plus years with and mostly without the ACG.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:09 pm

del wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 am
Ted Sallis wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:04 pm
del wrote:

Ted
Oh I do disagree. Yeah, I would have liked more ACG at the time but I’m more than ok it didn’t happen given what we got instead. Ive always thought an ACG album or two after MOL could have been great but given Glens health and the troubles with MOL it may equally have seen a decline and a tarnishing of the reputation. Personally, I genuinely doubt that we would have got much more from a group which was struggling.
Fair enough - I consider everything stated just above to be plausible.

Ted

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:34 am

Second impressions are kind to this album. I totally get what Alice was doing. It’s an album that harkens back to a day when rock was king. The covers kind of add the the setting - they take you back in a way. Opening with Rock & Roll conceptually makes perfect sense. It is wrong the dismiss the covers in the same way that one might with the Hollywood Vampires, which in many cases added little to the originals and the production was so muddy.

I listened to all of the original versions of the DS covers last night and I think Alice did his own thing with all of them and I appreciate them even more now. I’m really loving East Side Story in particular. Alice has been doing covers for their entire career, so this is an expansion of something that interests him. There are so many great songs out there and it’s nice to be reminded by the guy we all love. Plus the session players are really enjoyable to listen to. I’ve taken issue the way some modern AC guitar tones clash with my ears. Detroit Stories felt more organic and immediate. The vinyl was a joy to listen to from start to finish.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:03 am

He did bugger all with Outrageous Cherry except to change some lyrics so he and Bob could make more $.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:54 am

For me it is underwhelming. the covers do not rustle my jimmies at all, especially our love will change the world which I really do not get on with (much like paranormals holy water which I equally despised)
In terms of the actual new songs its a mixed bag I don't think there is anything that screams top tier so far.
I like the rockier stuff like social debris and I hate you. The more "Detroit" centric stuff is less favourable for me e.g. while I appreciate what they are trying to do with $1000 high heeled shoes, it just isn't my scene (one doo wop too many for my liking!)
I think the production is good and (to me at least) feels like a natural evolution of bobs ACG productions. It has a raw, dirty edge but with a clarity I appreciate, the drums sound heavy (and downright monstrous whenever neal takes over ,which I like.) Alice's vocals sound impassioned and strong (especially for 70+years old) the guitars are big and fill the real estate but doesn't have much (if any) guitar pyrotechnics to really excite me. (seriously allow nita to play!)
I think it was a mistake to double dip with material from breadcrumbs (both the covers & Detroit city/go man go) it would have worked allot better with only a couple of covers (lou reed is the best of the bunch here) and maybe just keeping Detroit city (for obvious reasons)
For me, I am not interested in this grasping onto the past. There is maybe half of it I can see myself really digging but half of it will more often than not be skipped. I feel paranormal captured an old skool rock vibe but worked well with a strong song base. While I like the production I feel the songs are much weaker on Detroit stories.
I will keep digging into it, so hopefully it will grow on me (dirty diamonds did, I actively despised that on first listen and now merely tolerate it!) 5/10 currently.

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Post by Holly Grail » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am

Amazing job on $1000 high heeled shoes. This is well written and played.It has quality overall.
Wonderful world, Hail Mary and Social Debris are also great. No need for (replayed) covers apart from Rock n Roll & DS2021. To sum up it has no hit but it is definetely a grower, it hits its goal and has quality. It is not a "just record something" album.
Im very happy that 4-5 new songs are making it on my playlists from now on. Thank you Alice, one more time!

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Something that's struck me is that the verses of Independence Dave are the most like a blackout era song that Alice has recorded since the early eighties. His voice is very reminiscent of that period.

If the chorus and production were tweaked a little, the song itself could slot onto one of those albums without sounding very different from the other tracks. Zipper Catches Skin especially.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:00 pm

I had the exact same thought about that song while listening to it. I felt it to be a bit for FTF than ZCS, but it definitely fits in that era.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Yeah that's the first thing I thought when I heard it. The skittish energy, vocal delivery and group shouts in the chorus remind me of the early '80s material.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm

Just an observation, but "Shut Up and Rock" shares most of the same personnel as most of the tracks on "Paranormal," including Larry Mullens Jr on Drums. I wonder if it was a previously unused track?