Fashion Flusher

Re: A Paranormal Evening at The Olympia

Post by del » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 pm

alicefannor wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:02 pm
First review I have seen

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/ali ... bum-review

Spot the one awkward mistake
A reviewer who doesn't know his stuff..imagine that...

Also his reference to "a band for whom his fan base have little emotional attachment". I for one would take issue with that. I love the current band. Apart from being excellent as a unit they have helped keep the show on the road by adding their own energy and charisma to proceedings.

I've been to see both Ryan and Chuck when they have played nearby and met them both. Great guys and very much part of the Alice family as far as I'm concerned. Watched Tommy develop his presence over the last few years and he is clearly now a part of the backroom scene now as well. Always been impressed by Glen and think Nita has added a new dimension.

I'll always have special affection for the ACG but the current band are vital imo.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 pm

del wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 pm
A reviewer who doesn't know his stuff..imagine that...
Ian Fortnam, the review, should actually know better. He's been around for years.
del wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:32 pm
Also his reference to "a band for whom his fan base have little emotional attachment". I for one would take issue with that. I love the current band. Apart from being excellent as a unit they have helped keep the show on the road by adding their own energy and charisma to proceedings.
That also annoyed me. Just not true, and rather insulting to musicians who have been loyal to Alice for many years, Chuck over a decade, and Ryan on and off for two decades.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 am

alicefannor wrote:
First review I have seen

Besides the mistake of missing the 1 track from Paranormal that is on the live album, this is a pretty spot on review.

"Pain" and "The World Needs Guts" sound awesome - but the rest is unnecessary. I'm actually surprised this came out - a live concert video would've made more sense...but another live album? We just had half of these songs played by the session musicians included on Disc 2 of "Paranormal" only a year ago. How many versions of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Feed my Frankenstein" do we need by the current touring band?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:57 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 am
"Pain" and "The World Needs Guts" sound awesome - but the rest is unnecessary. I'm actually surprised this came out - a live concert video would've made more sense...but another live album? We just had half of these songs played by the session musicians included on Disc 2 of "Paranormal" only a year ago. How many versions of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Feed my Frankenstein" do we need by the current touring band?
I'd say current touring band, not session musicians. The use in the original article and your repeat of it seems to be intended as condescending, though there's nothing wrong with session musicians, either.

In any case, no one is making you buy this. I really like the new album, and I like the fact that it seems to be an entire show, start to finish, with no edits and no missing tracks. It also sounds better than any previously-released live album, IMO.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:53 pm

I suppose both Glenn and Tommy do a lot of session work (dunno about the others), but it doesn't change the fact that their main gig is Alice, and has been for quite a few years.

regardless, I'm going to agree with the review in that we need a dvd, and a release where the original band is featured.

Picture disc arrived today. A beauty! As I imagined; it sounds SO much better than spotify.
OF course, this is pretty much a scientific fact, but it's even more apparent on some of the Ezrin produced albums I have. Especially the last two Purple albums; both sounds great on vinyl, whereas on spotify they sound like polished demos.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:19 pm

HEY WE GOT A PARIS SHOW. Oh wait its not the one we was hoping for 🤣. Jk. Had to.

ReGorLaTroy
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by ReGorLaTroy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Just gave the new live album the first spin.

I really dig it.

I saw the Morristown, New Jersey gig in March of this year and am seeing Alice & Co. this Thursday in New York City, so this album couldn't haven't arrived at a better time.

An audio souvenir of the March gig and a primer for the upcoming NYC gig.

Now, to the music....

...sure, Alice & Co. stick to the basics, but man oh man, do they do it so well.

Chuck, Ryan, Tommy, Glenn and Nita (along with their singer) serve up the greatest hits with such amazing precision.

Nita is not, in fact, a woman of mass distraction, but rather a killer guitarist and, in my humble opinion, a most welcomed addition to the band.

Ryan (why is this cat not filling stadiums) Roxie is amazing, as always.

Tommy, quietly (ok, not so quietly) and subtly just raises the bar to heights that are hard to match.

Chuck and Glenn are a potent rythym section that perform a lost art in the world of music these days.

Oh yeah, they've got a singer who commands an audience like no other.

A great audio document of a man named Alice who shows no sign of slowing.

I'm as excited for Thursday's gig as I was to the first time I was fortunate enough to see him on The Special Forces Tour, and all of the tours between...

...this album serves as a healthy reminder as to the reason why.

Long Live The Coop!
"I'm a gambler, and I'm a runner..."

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:28 pm

It would’ve made more sense to record one of the UK shows featuring the original band because it would’ve made this release much more essential and important to the discography.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:04 pm

It sounds great. Everything is great in execution, and the band shows that they can play every era well, but Pain is the only song that gave me any interest in the album. Paranoiac Personality is definitely the low point to me as it plods along and sounds as uninteresting to me as the album version. It’s a shame that Fallen In Love wasn’t being performed yet, because the live version massively trumps it’s studio predecessor.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 am

guttertrash wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:04 pm
It sounds great. Everything is great in execution, and the band shows that they can play every era well, but Pain is the only song that gave me any interest in the album. Paranoiac Personality is definitely the low point to me as it plods along and sounds as uninteresting to me as the album version. It’s a shame that Fallen In Love wasn’t being performed yet, because the live version massively trumps it’s studio predecessor.
It really does sound great doesn't it! Brutal Planet trumps the Brutally Live version I think but Pain is definitely the highlight to me. I agree with PP being a plodder, Fallen In Love would have been a much better choice.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:26 pm

I think they complete ruined the Killer and Love it to death songs. I hate medleys.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:55 pm

mestreech wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:26 pm
I think they complete ruined the Killer and Love it to death songs. I hate medleys.
Still waiting for mine!! :( Where are the Amazon Drones!! ;)
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by jettrainfan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Bought a copy at the Huber Heights show last night for $20. I was taken by surprise since they had a sign saying, "Paranormal CD", and thought it was the actual album. It was the Paris CD, so kind of glad I didn't order it online. Love the picture they used on the backside!

Haven't listened to it yet, saving it for when I have the dog with me. :)

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 am

I think its his best live effort since my beloved 1986-94 period. It has fire and urgency (something sorely missing from previous live editions) i seriously think Nita is the one elevating the whole band in terms of aggression and energy. I know when i saw them in Wembley i was impressed with the band (just a shame the crowd and venue sucked all the life out of it. )
Highlights for me are Brutal Planet, Pain, world needs guts Nitas solo before poison and oddly woman of mass distraction (nita seriously shreds on this) The other standards are good although not essential.
Overall great live album just gutted no blu ray - what an own goal!!! (or was the crowd just as bad as the wembley one?)

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 am

alicefannor wrote:
First review I have seen

The very first paragraph tells me he didnt listen to it LMAO. THEIR IS NO SONGS FROM PARANORMAL on this concert release. Really??? So what album is paranoic personality from then LMAO. Good reason right their to NEVER read someones review. Especially this turds.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 am

So i read that review when u posted it and i was burning mad. I waited a while to say something and to give it credit i re-read it and i read the first paragraph and stoped and you got my last post. I couldnt read it twice. Im trying really hard to hold back on language to use about this so called reviwer. Lol. This quack must be related to Linda Hennrick Next topic.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Did ur cd have sleves? I have seen images of sleeves and a fold out in the center. Did i get ripped off?

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:58 pm

This might be the bet live album yet. I just got the iTunes version so far. This band is smoking. His voice sounds great. My only complaint is not enough songs from Paranormal and nothing from Nightmare II. There's too much of the same stuff that's on the other live albums. I include the CD's that came with the live DVD's in my comparison as well. But otherwise wise, I'm digging this one right out of the gate. World Needs Guts is just killer. Go Nita!! She's awesome. That song and Pain are worth the price right there. Brutal Planet never sounded better. I saw AC in NYC the other night. It would have been cool to have had LIA, Grim facts, Serious and Fallen In Love on here. They sounded GREAT. And I never really liked Grim Facts that much until the other night. The song came off great. I don't like much from that era but now I'm thinking it might because of the way those songs were presented. Kicked up and rocking like that and I might be more receptive to the early 80's stuff. Anyway, great live album by a great live band fronted by the best in the business.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:19 am

Grim facts was superb on the special forces tour but this rendition of pain is better. This band is fantastic. Obviously the original group would have been phenomenal and should be released! The cover i find very dull! A fold out or booklet is needed but the actual music is just brilliant! still once again the set list is too generic which is why I am really looking forward to the Hollywood vampires live lp!
Last edited by dadascot on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:20 am

And for anyone who cares about these things the album entered the charts at number 64!