Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Post by andyrew » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm

I've placed Genuine American Girl and You and All Your Friends after Rats, with The Sound of A ending the album which really helps with the flow.

I always prefer albums to be 40 mins or longer (except for the ones back in the 70s/80s since 30-35 mins was the norm.)
I really think this is one of Alice's best solo albums and I love the fast pace of Holy Water, Rats and Genuine American Girl that now follows! Wish rats would have been longer though, that guitar solo at the end could have went on for a bit more, but at the same time it's not a song that overstays it's welcome which is good.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:04 am

You know it's a great album when you walk around singing the weakest track on the album (Holy Water). I hate to admit it but I'm starting to really like that song.

This album is one of Alice's best solo efforts. No doubt about it!

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Gave it a good listening the way I like it. Played it the car with the windows down on a nice summer day. I'll put it up as a tie for my favorite solo Alice release with BP. Very good flow, some flat out rockers along with some typical off center Alice type rock. That said I still think PP is stale and should not have been the first song released. I wish there were less guest musicians and more of the touring band or the original band. Neal's drumming on the three tracks he is on is just rock drumming at its best. And I recognize Ezrin is a special producer but when he works with Alice I wish he would dial it down a bit and go for a more stripped down and raw sound.

steve
Trash
Trash

Post by steve » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm

The new disc is wonderful . Been a fan since 1971. Always buy the new discs. It's the first disc in a very long time that has had me listening to the entire disc ( 1) over and over . Hope I'm still this vibrant at 69 years old :rock:

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 am

Now EVERYONE can go to the POLLS section and vote their opinion of the new album, Paranormal....

viewforum.php?f=6
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 pm

albums still grows on me. A real treat to have such a good album at this stage in his career.
I know he said in an interview that 2018 is primarily set aside for the vampires, and that the very end of 2018 would be the next window to start on an Alice record. I hope johnny depp gets an offer he cannot refuse so Alice can keep the momentum going

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Alice needs to do another solo album in 2019. That's the 50th anniversary of his first album Pretties For You and will garner lots of media attention. Coming on the heels of Paranormal (an album that has been well-received) will also boost attention for the next album.

Alice and Shep need to make 2019 a big year! They are making a lot of the right moves except hire someone artistic to be in charge of image and cover art!

MovieDemon
Trash
Trash

Post by MovieDemon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I think PARANORMAL is a good album. Not as good as WELCOME 2 MY NIGHTMARE but I do enjoy it. My one main criticism is that its just too short. Favorite track is THE SOUND OF A. Great tune.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm

It's a pretty good album. It starts off well and ends well. But there are some songs in the middle like Holy Water that I can't believe made it on to the album :rotfl:
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 pm

This album is a real grower. It's far superior to W2MN.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:12 pm

A fortnight on - and after listening to it several times on Spotify - it hasn't grown on me; still a 50/50 record. If they'd made it a single album (preferably replacing 'HW' with 'GAG'!), then I might have bought it. The 2CD format - two originals, plus live filler - puts me off even more.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm

concolz wrote:A fortnight on - and after listening to it several times on Spotify - it hasn't grown on me; still a 50/50 record. If they'd made it a single album (preferably replacing 'HW' with 'GAG'!), then I might have bought it. The 2CD format - two originals, plus live filler - puts me off even more.
The cd is selling for the price of a single album. So you are complaining that you are "put off even more" by getting two brand new tracks from the original band as well as live tracks? Some people just can't be pleased!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Like quite a few others here I have integrated the two band songs into the album and they fit perfectly. I don't think of the album without them.

This should have been done in the first place and they could have had an all live bonus disc of redundant songs that no one would play.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 am

pitkin88 wrote: This should have been done in the first place and they could have had an all live bonus disc of redundant songs that no one would play.
I would have loved the live versions to be songs we don't often get eg: Pain , World needs guts , Halo , WOMD and so on , we don't need more versions of OWB and FMF

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 am

nurserozetta wrote:
pitkin88 wrote: This should have been done in the first place and they could have had an all live bonus disc of redundant songs that no one would play.
I would have loved the live versions to be songs we don't often get eg: Pain , World needs guts , Halo , WOMD and so on , we don't need more versions of OWB and FMF
Couldn't agree more, but our 14 year old loves the album and isn't as aware of those tracks so he is learning the set list songs for November.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 pm

dadascot wrote:
nurserozetta wrote:
Couldn't agree more, but our 14 year old loves the album and isn't as aware of those tracks so he is learning the set list songs for November.
Might be part of the Master Plan. Maybe someone who has bought tickets to this tour is considering buying (or has bought)Paranormal - the "Live" tracks would give them a taste of what they'll experience. Hopefully 2 or 3 from Paranormal also!!! :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Good album, great music and lyrics.
Since I am more of an "Edgar Allan Poe" kind of fans, I would say that Paranormal and the Sound of A, are my favorites. I like them a lot. Also, Fireball, I like the sound of it, something you could dance on. The rest is OK. It's a very American, Detroit rock sound,
which is not really my kind of sound, but I like the Devil song :devil: I don't like GAG, it's a Trumpy song. So, it's very diversified, and there's songs for every kind of fans.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:02 am

Rhapsody of Fire wrote:Good album, great music and lyrics.
Since I am more of an "Edgar Allan Poe" kind of fans, I would say that Paranormal and the Sound of A, are my favorites. I like them a lot. Also, Fireball, I like the sound of it, something you could dance on. The rest is OK. It's a very American, Detroit rock sound,
which is not really my kind of sound, but I like the Devil song :devil: I don't like GAG, it's a Trumpy song. So, it's very diversified, and there's songs for every kind of fans.

Dancing to Fireball? A Trump song?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:38 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Rhapsody of Fire wrote:Good album, great music and lyrics.

Dancing to Fireball? A Trump song?
The Trumpy Song is probably their biggest seller - I believe it was on one of the cookout albums...you know, the ones Alice recorded and forget about during that infamous BBQ at Frank Zappa's house.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:02 pm

O.K., let's do this again.

As I said, great music, clever lyrics for most of the songs. Like the cover of the album.
Lyrics are important to me.

My dark side, Paranormal and The Sound of A. Brilliant. Not sure about the meaning of The sound of A, but Paranormal is a ballad from beyond the grave that rocks.

Fireball, I like the sounds effects and it sounds like a dance song. It's about the end of the world, which belongs in a Paranormal theme.

Rats, dirty rodents that rocks after the end of the world.

Dead flies, about the tough world of Social Medias.

PP. a journey into the world of Madness... Songs from the album ''From the Inside'' were better.

Fallen in love, no comments.

Dynamite Road, I like songs about the Devil. Paranormal theme.

Holy Water, it's OK, as long as it doesn't talk about religion.

PPB and You and all your Friends, no interest at all.

GAG. at first I thought it was about an American girl, which is OK, but it end up as being about Caitlyn Jenner. I know that it's supposed to be a funny song, tongue in cheeks, like the ''Saga of Jesse Jane'', but still... Trumpy.

Don't get me wrong, I love this album, with all it's highlights and flaws.

Voilà!