Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Thoughts On And Ranking The New Album

Post by Swinger » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Si wrote:I think at least part of the reason is that much of the album is recorded while the band are actually out on the road and so not available to Ezrin.
I *THINK* the way it generally works is that Alice and Bob (and Tommy?) get together and listen to the demos of the songs under consideration, including the stuff written by Alice and others before production starts. Ezrin then goes away and starts recording the album, sending things to Alice on the road for his input.
So basically the band aren't really able to go into the studio while the basic tracks are being recorded, as they could be on the other side of the country or even the world.
That's what I always thought anyway. However the fact Tommy is so involved in the last two albums may suggest I'm wrong.

Of course should Alice and Bob decide it WILL be a band album, they just need to get everyone in the studio for a few weeks mid-tour and the problem is solved, but I don`t think that is how they like to work.
Would be interesting to hear from 'the horses mouth' (ie Ezrin) how it does actually all work.
Alice claimed during the Q+A at the release party in Stockholm yesterday that the songs were recorded live in the studio and that he wanted to get away from "layers" on this album. I'm not sure if he meant that the whole album was recorded live or just some songs. I'll add the disclaimer that the q+a was a bit of a mess due to really bad sound quality.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 pm

The entire album has been on repeat since this morning.....7th time playing as I write this....I am forming my feelings about the album as I listen. Good news: I love it....but, why? 1) self-references are funny, 2) production is great, 3) musical variety is good. Bad news: I don't like feeling like some of these songs are leftovers: For example: Dynamite Road=Runaway Train. Paranormal=I Am Made Of You, Rats=Ghouls Gone Wild....and strangely, The Sound of A could be a leftover from The Last Temptation....

But, because I love Alice...this collection of songs will be a wonderful addition, and I am happy.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:32 pm

After now having three good listens to the album these are my thoughts.

I will begin by saying I really like some of the lyrics on this album as I am a Christian myself (but I know we aren't supposed to get into a religious discussion here).
Overall I think this is a good album, not a great album but has gotten better with every listen. Fireball is a terrific song, Rats is a terrific song, and I love the title track.

A few of the songs such as Genuine American Girl are good tracks.

However, there are a few clunkers like Holy Water and frankly "You and All Your Friends" I don't care for. You and All Your Friends is the very reason why I am not personally in favor of a full-fledged reunion of the original band. I know I will get slammed for this but you can't go home again.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:22 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
kevinuk81 wrote:Looks like Pretties For You is the only one using just band members.

Personally, I don't get it, use the band members and don't bring in guests just because they may be available or a friend of someone.
Your original post is as follows:

"When was the last Alice album to have just his band playing? No 'guests', no ex ACG members?"

Since you'd included the ACG in your exclusion, I didn't mention Pretties For You. If I wanted to be a real stickler, Levity Ball has some audience members on it as well as an accidental string section. :grin:
I should have worded differently, obviously no ex ACG members on the solo albums, as for PFY, took my information from this website.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:I should have worded differently, obviously no ex ACG members on the solo albums, as for PFY, took my information from this website.
Nah, you're fine. I knew what you meant.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Everything wrong with You And All Your Friends is due to production. It sounds like a classic rock song produced to be a pop/punk song. An ACG album could be good, but I do not want to hear it with Ezrin involved, and I think it would be a pipedream for them to record without him. I would prefer to never hear Alice record again in general if this is the outcome. I don't want a tour with extremely mediocre songs taking one or two spaces away from great songs. Paranoiac Personality replacing Escape...seriously? I'm on the verge of getting rid of my ticket for the show I am supposed to go to at the end of next month, and I love seeing Alice and the band, but I am not interested in what is going on.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:31 pm

cooperrocks wrote:However, there are a few clunkers like Holy Water and frankly "You and All Your Friends" I don't care for. You and All Your Friends is the very reason why I am not personally in favor of a full-fledged reunion of the original band. I know I will get slammed for this but you can't go home again.
You And All Of Your Friends is my favorite song on the record - that, and Private Public Breakdown. Seems there's something for almost everybody to enjoy.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:57 pm

So far it is a very polarizing record.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm

I'm about a listen and a half in. My first thoughts were meh. Will see if that changes.

I absolutely love the music in the title track. The lyrics are ok, but I can't get that intro out of my head.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:47 am

I played the new album at work for my co-workers ahead of the bands. All the people who worked went to see him and are fans, and not one person of the 6 liked it. Maybe we are just a different breed here.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:37 am

Ahhhh Guttertrash....so faithful with the negative point of view.....so sorry you're unhappy, but, your words are unconvincing to me....I AM IMPERVIOUS.

I have played the whole album 15 times today and I love it....the whole album....yep. DEFINITELY, PARANORMAL.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:51 am

GailsFriend wrote:Ahhhh Guttertrash....so faithful with the negative point of view.....so sorry you're unhappy, but, your words are unconvincing to me....I AM IMPERVIOUS.

I have played the whole album 15 times today and I love it....the whole album....yep. DEFINITELY, PARANORMAL.
:rock:

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:03 am

This album is the exact opposite to me as ACAS. Where it sounded like amateurs who had no idea to get proper tones and is underproduced. This album fails miserably due to awful overproduction from Ezrin. Half the album has ideas and riffs that could have been really great. The other half sounds like a guitar player trying to cop the sound of legends, and what could have been great is laid to waste in half-assed mixes and overcompression and effects. I don't blame it on Alice so much as on Ezrin's terrible production ideas and methods. It could have been great. I hear it, but it is not...
It

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:17 am

I'm surprised so many dislike Holy Water. I really dig it. Rollicks along.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:31 am

concolz wrote:The original Holy Water https://youtu.be/Wjq19_THqQ4 Why would they want to include a cover of this, instead of another ACG song?
Thanks to George Orlay for spotting that the original 'Fireball' is on Rick Tedesco's 'A Light In The Attic' and was originally set for the second Dennis Dunaway Project album which was never finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h3Xdq6nKMQ

'Genuine American Girl' is vaguely based on 'Red Blooded American Girl' by Neal Smith's Flying Tigers (featuring Dennis Dunaway) back in 1978/9 although the new version is very different to the original.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:36 am

7.5/10 for me.

Beats W2MN and stands next to DD. There has never been an album where I have loved every track so I just exclude the worst (Holy Water) and enjoy the rest. I could listen to every other track frequently and enjoy them but I will hardly ever listen to it the whole way through as I simply don't listen to music that way nowadays. Instead, they are going to get playlists built around them and listened to on the move which is how I listen to nearly all music nowadays.

Paranormal is the standout track for me, can't stop playing it. Private Public Breakdown and Rats are excellent too. Everything else now varies from a 6 to 8 with Holy Water a 3. I'm no Christian and hate it being pushed down my throat but the references here aren't in my face at all.

Simply can't understand some of the negativity on the album at all but there you go, you don't always get what you want. As for replacing Escape with Paranoic Personality - fine with me that's my least favourite track on WTMN.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:48 am

And the worst song on WTMN is better than anything he has made in 35 years

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:14 am

Certainly an opinion. I simply couldn't have lasted this long as a fan if I felt that way. I lost commitment to Purple after Burn, Thin Lizzy after Jailbreak and Aerosmith after Draw the line as, for me, nothing ever got close to previous glories. Still listened out for new albums but lost the overall commitment as none of them brought me back.

Shame you feel that way about Alice's music as it just hasn't happened for me. Every album has had something standout for me and that's why I've stayed on the journey. L&W and ACAS are my least favourite across the whole catalogue, including the live albums but It's Hot Tonight and Vengeance Is Mine, and a few others are right up there for me.

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:44 am

On the whole so far I like it , would of been much happier if the 2nd cd was given over to the recent sets with the original ACG ,don`t think we really needed anymore live recordings from any of the last few tours especially as BDB is ruined by Alice not coming up with the lyrics at one point ,
With regards to the new album , who will be the first to invent a drinking game around it , any time during the playback you here a Alice Cooper song title or reference you stop and take a drink , you will be certain to be pissed before the end .
Ideal scenario is that it sells well , and at least 3 - 5 tracks get included in the setlist later in the year , ( See I`m already pissed and disillusioned )

Dead Flies
Please, watch your step, dear
The world is out to beat you
Don't you know there's cannibals
Designed to kill and eat you

Generation Landslide
Please clean your plate, dear,
The lord above can see ya
Don't you know people are starving in Korea?

:evil:
It must be true A_Michael said so

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 am

JoeyBananagoose wrote:I'm surprised so many dislike Holy Water. I really dig it. Rollicks along.
I'm surprised too. After I listened to it the first time it was the track that got imbedded into my head.