More tracks to hear...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: More tracks to hear...

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Fallen In Love is embarrassing. Billy Gibbons hasn't been worth listening too since the early 80s. Larry tries for a Tejas era drumming style and fails miserably. And I am so tired of Alice writing "cute," silly lyrics. It still comes off as parody songs especially considering that many of the songs on this album sound like Alice playing in the style of other bands.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:04 pm

I think this album reveals that Alice is in a mindset as with Hollywood Vampires where he is reliving the early days based on what I have heard and what has been said about the other songs. I don't blame him for that. I am not a fan of what I am hearing, but I get that he is in a time period that is making him focus on the old daysand the music that came with it.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:26 pm

I have listened to the album - now several times. My personal opinion is that this album is a gift to Alice Cooper fans. It's the most "classic" sounding hard rock album since the seventies. It's arguably his most consistent album since Welcome to My Nightmare. I would trade any album after Dada for this without any hesitation, except for maybe The Last Temptation and Brutal Planet; maybe even those two with a little hesitation.

The lyrics are his most inspired since Brutal Planet. The songs see Alice stretching and experimenting with great success, and though a few moments don't work in particular songs, I can't condemn a single song. I love it from start to finish and I am so thankful to Alice for making it. If he doesn't make another album, I am satisfied. I can't say that about Welcome 2 My Nightmare.

Whether fans like it or not, this is Alice now, so we should all appreciate him while our ears are blessed enough to be graced by his presence. He can't get any closer to the "classic" Alice than this, unless there is a full-blown reunion by the band, although I'm sure many fans still won't be satisfied.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Where are you guys hearing these tracks?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 pm

bigbradwolf wrote:Where are you guys hearing these tracks?

Plus 1

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm

The album leaked online so I guess if you know where to look its out there,

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Wonder where the leak came from? I doubt it will affect the sales as most who where going to buy will still do so.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 am

Early leaks happen with virtually every release these days.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 am

As of late, it seems like most leaks happen around a week before an album's release, so it has always made me think that it is probably due to people uploading promotional copies of albums that they got or had given away.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 am

This is a dumb question, but how do I listen to Nights With Alice Cooper after it finished? Is that possible? Really curious to hear the tracks he played on it.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:47 am

No one is going to tell you here, for what should be obvious reasons.
And anyone who tries to post links to leaked copies of the album will likely be kicked from the forums.

Posting links to radio shows that play songs and are legally available to listen to (like Ken Bruce or NWAC) are fine, but tracks posted to youtube or ANYWHERE else are strictly off limits unless posted at an official Alice Cooper site or by earMusic.

I'm sure most people realise this already, it's pretty obvious, but I'm just stating it for the record.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:50 am

Spiner202 wrote:This is a dumb question, but how do I listen to Nights With Alice Cooper after it finished? Is that possible? Really curious to hear the tracks he played on it.
There are links to sites on the NWAC site, and PlanetRock has a 'listen again' option as well, but they don`t play the full three hour show so it's hit or miss if you'll hear the songs.
There is also a downloadable official APP for the show (assuming it still works) which replays the most recent episode on repeat the following day. It's downloadable from app stores and there were links on NWAC,com as well I think.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 am

Si wrote:
And anyone who tries to post links to leaked copies of the album will likely be kicked from the forums.

Posting links to radio shows that play songs and are legally available to listen to (like Ken Bruce or NWAC) are fine, but tracks posted to youtube or ANYWHERE else are strictly off limits unless posted at an official Alice Cooper site or by earMusic.

I'm sure most people realise this already, it's pretty obvious, but I'm just stating it for the record.
I suppose I should have guessed it had been leaked.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 am

Si wrote:

I don't think he was asking for a link to an illegal download just a " where " as in a general question. I did at first wonder if it was NWAC or Spotify.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:00 am

Si wrote: There is also a downloadable official APP for the show (assuming it still works) which replays the most recent episode on repeat the following day. It's downloadable from app stores and there were links on NWAC,com as well I think.
It does still work.

Hunter

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:15 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:

I don't think he was asking for a link to an illegal download just a " where " as in a general question. I did at first wonder if it was NWAC or Spotify.
Maybe so, but the rule always needs to be reiterated when a new album comes out, so I took the opportunity of his question to remind people.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 am

Rightly or wrongly I've listened to the album (in my eyes I've done nothing wrong, I've pre-ordered the box set off Amazon and I'll more than likely buy me a copy from the shop and at some point grab the vinyl and I won't be distributing amongst friends).

I'm not going to run a review of every song as I listened to it one go (although I may review every song tonight or tomorrow when I've listened again).

Prior to listening to the whole album I'd heard the two released tracks Paranoiac Personality and Paranormal, an extended preview (Italian radio) of Genuine American Girl and also the 30 second clips (posted on here) of all the songs.

The negatives:
I know it's difficult to judge a song on a 30 second clip but the one song that sounded very Hello Hooray, I Love The Dead and got me very excited for was The Sound of A. For me this really didn't live up to that preview. It's a decent song but it could have been better.

Another thing that stood out was I remember Alice in an interview talking about not writing music for the sake of it. Something along the lines of if your going to do Brutal Planet then you need to give them Brutal Planet. He was criticising bands about writing music that didn't correlate with the lyrics. I know Alice said he was going for some different sounds but there are a few tracks on here which, how shall I put it...aren't Alice. I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing but the one song that felt really underwhelming upon the first listen was Fireball. I'd love to hear Alice's commentary on what each songs meaning. I'm presuming this is about a meteor coming down and killing every one. For me it didn't hold any relevance.

Another frustrating song is Private Public Breakdown. It's a decent song but the riff is well and truly overplayed, not enough lyrics and feels like a song I could have written the music for on GarageBand. Its all opinion but it could have been a really strong record apart from that.

My brother didn't like the drumming throughout (although I'll be honest I don't feel like it ruined the experience)

The positives:
On the whole it's a very solid record IMO. What makes it listenable is the fact the songs are very random and don't follow the concept theme. It's also a good sign that I believe a lot of these songs to be growers which means they won't get tiring after several listens. Rats and Dead Flies are two songs that could fit into this bracket and whilst they won't ever be must play live songs I believe they may appear alongside a few Alice classics as personal favourites when we review Alice's career.

Lyrically Alice doesn't disapoint and there are definitely songs on here which are written for the die hards and not to attract new fans. I think fans who haven't enjoyed the production of recent albums will be pleasantly surprised with the release. Apart from Paranoiac Personality it doesn't feel like an Ezrin release IMO.

I have read comments regarding this to be Alice's best work since Brutal Planet and Last Temptation and on first listen it's hard to disagree.

For me Holy Water could/should have been considered for a single. It combines commercial appeal with an element of 70's Alice.

There are definitely moments throughout the album which bring back elements of nostalgia. It's also a very fast album. 99% of the songs are fast paced and is probably the reason why it is a short album. It definitely goes by too quickly.

I'm always generous and love whatever work Alice puts out but this is a good album. A lot of people have commented on how they don't like the parody feel to recent Alice albums. I'd be lying if I said this album was devoid of that but a good percentage of the tracks are fast, hard hitting, no nonsense, no respect Alice tracks.

It's a solid 8/10 from me.

I'm going to listen tonight and try and review all of the songs one by one.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Personally, I haven't liked what I have heard, Paranoiac Personality and Paranormal I have heard all the way through, the rest, the 30 second snippets, and to me, nearly all of those were very lacking in lyrics, Holy Water sounds like a religious song, suffice it to say, from what I have heard, my money will stay in my pocket.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:19 pm

I've had a listen to the entire album now. Overall I'm enjoying the tracks. They all have a familiarity about them. Related to other songs within Alice's catalog.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:10 pm

I've had 4 listens of the album and here it goes:

Paranormal
7.5/10
The more I listen to this the more I feel this could be the curtain raiser to the nightmare section.

Dead Flies
7/10
Alice meets Hendrix with a sprinkle of The Beatles.

Fireball
5.5/10
A cool riff, it’s something different but for me it’s not a song that should be sung by Alice Cooper. Don’t think the vocal effects help the overall track.

Paranoiac Personality
8/10
Catchy, dark. It’s typical, modern Alice. Definitely a song written for the live show.

Fallen In Love
5/10
Standard bluesy number. It’s not a bad track but I wouldn’t say it’s memorable. One I’ll probably end up skipping when listening to the album.

Dynamite Road
6.5/10
An alternative version of ‘A Runaway Train’ from W2MN with a slightly bit more of a rock n’ roll vibe and a smidgen of a chorus. Chugs along like a mine train and lyrically it’s fun but is it needed on the back of a similar track from the last album?

Private Public Breakdown
9/10
I didn’t like this on first listen but it’s growing on me, even with the overplayed riff. Really like the 70’s glam rock vibe. The rating has gone up with every listen and is close to Holy Water as my favourite track.

Holy Water
9/10
I instantly liked this one. Different from your standard Alice. I really like this after several listens. A ‘Detroit City’ kind of feel and even with the pop sounding chorus. It’s catchy and with a sinister kind of verse I like it.

Rats
8/10
Another bluesy number. This time it’s fast and fun. With the lyrics ‘give the rats what they want’. I could imagine this being a real live showstopper to feature in the encore IMO.

The Sound of A
6.5/10
As mentioned very Pink Floyd. Not a bad track but I think it could have been better. I can hear I ‘Love The Dead’ and ‘Hello Hooray’ amongst the track.

Genuine American Girl
7/10
A fun number. Some great lyrics. Probably not what I was expecting with the original band but it’s very catchy and one I’ll grow to enjoy more.

You and All Your Friends
8/10
Probably more from what I was expecting from the original band members. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this in the original band set come the UK tour.

I think everybody has an impression of what they want an Alice Cooper album to sound like. Alice is never going to impress everyone. Some like the old classic sound from the original band. Others prefer solo Alice. Personally I feel this album has a mixture of both with some even more varying styles. I’m quite disappointed there isn’t the token Alice Cooper ballad also (I’ll wait for the haven’t we got enough comments).
After several listens it’s clear that there is some unique ideas being floated around without it being as extreme pop as ‘What Baby Wants’.
I’m quite glad I’m sitting here not thinking how amazing it is. It will get better with listens and for me thats a good indicator of longetivity for listens. I loved the last couple of albums instantly and I find they tire quicker.
I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised. I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I’m overjoyed we have another album from Alice, including two with original band members. In recent years we’ve lost the likes of Scott Weiland, Bowie, Lemmy, Chris Cornell and obviously more recently Chester Bennington amongst many more. These are people’s heroes.
I felt down with the passing of many of these guys, particularly Scott Weiland who I had the pleasure of meeting after a gig in Wolverhampton.
God forbid the day Alice departs this Brutal Planet. I’ll be having two weeks off work, a bottle of whiskey every day and listening to every single Alice Cooper album over and over until the tears have run dry. Be grateful the great man is not only here but he’s making music and touring. The epitome of a legend! A man who when I listen to his music helps me to get away from the stresses and troubles of life!