San Diego 1979 CD

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

San Diego 1979 CD

Post by jettrainfan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:06 am

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before.

I had a couple questions regarding the "Live In San Diego 1979" CD. It's an unofficial release, so I won't put a link here to it. Just copy n paste the quotation above into Amazon and it'll be the only result.

1. Is "Dead Babies Jam" actually included? It's track #14 between "Wish I Was Born..." and "Ballad of Dwight Fry". That seems right, but I can't find audio of the performance during the tour at all. I know it wasn't included on the DVD, but there's at least an audio video of "All Strapped Up" on Youtube.

2. This one sort of ties in with the tour itself along with the album. Was the song an instrumental like Black Widow or did Alice sing?

3. Is "Inmates" included as listed? Track #18

4. What is the overall quality? I recently got "Slicker Than a Weasel" and "Alone In His Nightmare" from my local exchange record store. I must say, the quality was a lot better than I was expecting! I had "Creatures Of My Nightmare" prior and it sounded like a legit bootleg. The quality was poor on "Department of Youth" and downright terrible on "Cold Eythl". The other two albums had all the tracks from that one AND greater quality.

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated! :)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: San Diego 1979 CD

Post by Si » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:24 am

1. No, it isn`t. On the CD I have, '..Beverly Hills' is split into two tracks 'Dead Babies Jam' is actually just the second part.

2. The actual tour he sang the song, although a slightly shortened version. The "Aspirin" line was changed to "qualudes".

3. Yes, Inmates is there.

4. Listenable but don`t expect studio quality. It's an old radio tape and not even the best version of that in circulation, which is the KBFH Pre-FM, but it is the longest.

But in looking for answers for you there is something odd.
The two most common bootlegs of the San Diego show afaik are "Studio Jam" and a 'KBFH' from a Pre-FM source. And they are all different.

The KBFH (49:34) is the best sound quality. It includes a DJ introduction followed by FTI / Rozetta / Quiet Room / I Never Cry / Devil's Food - WTMN / B$B / OWB / NMMNG / 18 / Beverley Hills / It's Hot Tonight - Go To Hell / Wish You Were Here (instrumental) / How You Gonna See Me Now / SO (edited to 3.30 mins) / two different outro credit cuts.

Studio Jam (51.47) however has FTI / Serious / Devil's Food / WTMN / B$B / 18 / Quiet Room / I Never Cry / Black Widow Jam (called Guitar battle) / Beverley Hills / Rozetta / Hot Tonight (intro only) / Go To Hell / Wish You Were Here (instrumental) / SO (full 11 minutes)
Note Tracks moved around.

So you can see the songs are in a different order for some reason.

Lastly you have the "new" one (1:10:29), which is
FTI / Serious / Nurse Rozetta / Quiet Room / I Never Cry / Devils Food (instrumental) / WTMN / B$B / OWB / NMMNG / 18 Black Widow Jam / Beverley Hills / Dead Babies Jam (actually Beverly Hills pt 2) / Dwight Fry / Go To hell / How You Gonna See Me Now / Inmates / SO

As you can see from the times, this one is by far the most complete, and longest, but none of them feature 'All Strapped Up' or 'Dead Babies'.

Other recordings a few days either side of San Diego have 'Dead Babies' after 'Beverly Hills', and "All Strapped Up' between 'Dwight Fry' and 'It's Hot Tonight - Go To Hell', so it's almost certain both were played in San Diego, just missing from all three recordings.

The actual 90ish minute setlist for the tour was:
Vincent Price Intro / Serious / Rozetta / The Quiet Room / I Never Cry / Devil's Food intro - WTMN / B$B / OWB / NMMNG / 18 / Black Widow Jam / Beverly Hills / Dead Babies / Ballad Of Dwight Fry / All Strapped Up / It's Hot Tonight - Wish You Were Here / How You Gonna See Me Now / Inmates / Schools Out (extended with band intros)

Any of that help?

jettrainfan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by jettrainfan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks! That was very helpful and an excellent read. Happy Thanksgiving, too!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Toronto Bob has worked on the sound for his redux dvd. Hopefully he will chime in.

The songs work much better live with the show, rather than on the POS MOR album, but The Quiet Room followed by the derpy I Never Cry is very odd for a live show.Talk about a downer.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:54 am

Sure I'll chirp up

Years before I did the dvd thing for the San Diego show, I cobbled together the audio from the 3 sources mentioned above because I wanted the most complete version possible. Each version had either different songs, mixes or edits.

Here's the set list and durations.

01. The Strange Case of Alice Cooper 0:51
02. From the Inside 6:15
03. Serious 2:47
04. Nurse Rozetta 3:26
05. The Quiet Room 3:13
06. I Never Cry 1:58
07. Devil's Food/WTMN 3:11
08. Billion Dollar Babies 1:54
09. Only Women Bleed 2:24
10. No More Mr. Nice Guy 2:05
11. I'm Eighteen 3:56
12. The Black Widow 6:14
13. Wish I Were Born in Beverly Hills 3:52
14. Ballad of Dwight Fry 5:16
15. It's Hot Tonight/Go to Hell 4:31
16. How You Gonna See Me Now 4:25
17. Inmates (We're All Crazy) 3:19
18. School's Out 15:32

Total Time: 75:09

School's Out has different edits on all three sources and there are parts only in the video so the sound quality jumps around a bit.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am

I seem to vaguely remember someone suggesting the recording of 'Dead Babies' was messed up in some way and unusable.
Assuming the basic tracks for these radio shows/video all came from the same original source recording, this could explain why it doesn`t appear anywhere. Maybe the same happened for 'All Strapped Up'.
I don`t know for a fact this is the case though.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Yeah who knows. Often it seems that who ever did the original editing of the show, scraps the leftovers and they are forever lost, whether they have been erased or just squirreled away never to see the light of day, only very select people would be able to verify.

Not just the San Diego show, Saginaw '78 and El Paso '80 too

Saginaw:
Sick Things
King of the Silver Screen instrumental
Commercial parodies

El Paso:
Model Citizen
Dance Yourself to Death
I Never Cry
I'm Eighteen
Only Women Bleed
Under My Wheels
School's Out

I don't know about Glasgow '82, the fade out in School's Out seems to exist on every version I have heard.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:09 pm

FYI King of the Silver Screen wasn`t "instrumental". The lyrics were performed by Dick Wagner I believe, as Alice was running around the stage for theatrics.
It's a great shame no decent recording of it exists though as you say.

The El Paso on is a real head scratcher. Why on earth they cut in ACS cuts into a live broadcast is beyond me.

There's an audience recording, which is pretty good, that features the full Glasgow '82 School's Out.