Was Trash A Fluke?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Re: Was Trash A Fluke?

Post by Maaki » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Trash is a product of its time. It is a testament to AC that it is one of the most famous of its time and most people of the age that are physically able to, recognize Poison before 2 seconds mark. That is a feat worthy of a Legend.

Trash is as much a cornerstone of Alice's career as any other record of his solo career including WTMN. I personally doubt we'd have his art to enjoy in 2015 if it wasn't for Trash.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:52 am

Maaki wrote:Trash is a product of its time. It is a testament to AC that it is one of the most famous of its time and most people of the age that are physically able to, recognize Poison before 2 seconds mark. That is a feat worthy of a Legend.

Trash is as much a cornerstone of Alice's career as any other record of his solo career including WTMN. I personally doubt we'd have his art to enjoy in 2015 if it wasn't for Trash.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:21 am

Maaki wrote:Trash is a product of its time. It is a testament to AC that it is one of the most famous of its time and most people of the age that are physically able to, recognize Poison before 2 seconds mark. That is a feat worthy of a Legend.

Although it had a big impact If it never happened I seriously doubt it had any impact on us still hearing him today.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:27 am

pitkin88 wrote:

Although it had a big impact If it never happened I seriously doubt it had any impact on us still hearing him today.
If it had never happened I for one would not be reading this!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 am

From pitkin88:
"Although it had a big impact If it never happened I seriously doubt it had any impact on us still hearing him today."

Again, I think you're looking at this in a very narrow way. There is a big swathe of the current audience that buy tickets and merchandise who became fans because of that album. As Maaki suggests, it provided a platform for at least the next five or ten years (even though he only made a further two albums in that period) of his career which in turn leads on to the next stage and the next stage after that, especially as those fans went on to discover the earlier albums as a result of it.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:03 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"Although it had a big impact If it never happened I seriously doubt it had any impact on us still hearing him today."

Again, I think you're looking at this in a very narrow way. There is a big swathe of the current audience that buy tickets and merchandise who became fans because of that album. As Maaki suggests, it provided a platform for at least the next five or ten years (even though he only made a further two albums in that period) of his career which in turn leads on to the next stage and the next stage after that, especially as those fans went on to discover the earlier albums as a result of it.
Which is exactly what happened with me

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Same here, i liked elected and school's out but when i heard poison and i found out that alice cooper did all 3 of them i knew i had to start buying ALL his music :)

Trash is very much ftw

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Babysquid wrote: If it had never happened I for one would not be reading this!
I concur, here's a link to a post that's almost 3 years old & it appears to be still relevant to the current discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7997&hilit=+Trash :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Babysquid wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

If it had never happened I for one would not be reading this!
We all have our favorite album, if WTMN had never happened, I never would have known who he is.

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

was trash a fluke?
not at all. its about as calculated an album as you can get.
and responsible for a completely new generation of fans, including me.
these days its easy to take the cynical point of view and trash (excuse the pun) the album but it is every bit as important as every landmark album in alice cooper's discography.
take it or leave it, but you can't deny its legacy.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:21 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:

Exactly and many times "Poison" is the song that gets the loudest crowd reaction. I have said this before, but it bares repeating. Yes the original band put out some truly great albums, but some people have revisionist memory when it comes to the original band. There were plenty of mistakes made with the original group as well. The bottom line is this is a business. Alice saw that many of the hair bands were citing him as an influence and were having hits. Alice wanted to be relevant again in the mainstream and having another hit album with hit singles. He accomplished that with the Trash album and had the "Hey Stoopid" album came out say a year before, that one probably would have been a smash as well (it still did fairly well). This is all speculation on everyone's part but I do think the Trash album kept Alice going and it is possible he wouldn't still be recording or touring if it weren't for that album because it introduced a new generation of fans for him. That still was important back then.

I think Alice is now at a place where he recognizes fans don't buy albums anymore and while he may not be able to sell out arenas on his own anymore, he still is capable of filling up mid-sized theaters, playing some big festivals, and being asked to be a part of big tours, so he is doing better than most bands from the 70's who are still touring. Just my two cents.