Dada-promos??

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Dada-promos??

Post by Keith1980 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Anyone aware of promos for dada? Ive only seen one promo for zipper was anything done for dada?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Dada-promos??

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:26 pm

No.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:32 pm

I think Warner Bros issued a very sparse press kit that I think consisted of an 8x 10 photo of Alice (shorter hair and wearing A Clockwork Orange t shirt) and a single page press release in a generic Warner Bros folder.

I believe this was only done due to the requirements of the contract with WB. Warner Bros intention was to kill the album on release. They provided only the promotion they were required by the contract.

I think Shep knew all of this going into the recording of Dada as WB had enough and pulled the plug during or right after the recording of Zipper.

I'm not sure how much Warner's subsidiaries in other countries did for the album but I don't think it was much. The 12" "I Love America" had packaging that had no relation to the album and I'm thinking it's release may have been required by the contract. It was done on the cheap and in a very limited pressing.

Maybe Amuk knows a bit more??

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

From mr.barlow:
"Maybe Amuk knows a bit more??"

Your post covered it pretty accurately.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:26 pm

I think he might be referring to video promos like the Zipper one.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:37 pm

As far as I know there was absolutly nothing made. There was no money for anything. WB cut off funding after ZCS for everything except the minimum required by the contract. I think Shep may have personally financed the Dada sessions or at least partilly subsidized them and/or that Ezrin may have produced it for next to nothing. I know Wagner mentions that Shep gave Alice a nice sum of money out of his own pocket just to coax Alice into making it. He felt it was important to keep Alice working as Alice was deeply depressed.

Dada was a labor of love and friendship. They never even expected that WB would release it as WB didn't expect getting it. The WB relationship ended--quite badly--during Zipper.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:06 pm

There were no official White label promo's for the album either just a promo sticker and/or stamp.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:14 pm

mestreech wrote:There were no official White label promo's for the album either just a promo sticker and/or stamp.
Yes,
My vinyl is a stamped version. Purchased at a collectors show. Don't know a thing about any videos though.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:27 pm

From mestreetch:
"There were no official White label promo's for the album either"

Were those still being made around that time, though? I could be wrong but I think from the early eighties onward, it was stickers or stamped album covers.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Hidden Persuaders - "very rough demo" from Dada sessions I'd like to hear this rough or not.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:34 pm

I would also love to hear that song. My guess is that it's just a recording of Wagner and Alice either in their hotel suite or the hotel piano. Wagner mentions that the the writing was done mainly in those two places. They would come up with ideas in the room and then take them down to the bar in the hotel which had a piano.

I think they then took them to the studio and Ezrin and flushed them out. I don't think there are any songs that didn't make the album that were demoed that were given any type of quality studio production as they were working on a very tight budget (next to nothing for a major artist) and any cost overruns would be paid for by Shep. I think all involved were very econimical.

I think Ezrin also used this album to hone his skills with the Fairlight and somewhere it is mentioned that a bulk of the time was devoted to Ezrin trying to figure out and use the then state-of-the art equipment. I think he worked for next to nothing--if not nothing at all--for this album.

I would image that this "very rough" demo is simply a cassette recording of Alice and Wagner either in the suite or the bar trying out a song idea.

With that being said--I'd donate a kidney to hear it!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:53 pm

yeah me too. It is a very unusual title for a song. Thank God they never just took the money and run or we would never have had the final masterpiece.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:33 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From mestreetch:

Were those still being made around that time, though? I could be wrong but I think from the early eighties onward, it was stickers or stamped album covers.
Maybe even earlier - I have promos for FTI, Van Halen I, Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous and Queen Live Killers, all from 1978 and all are just stickered. I know Aerosmith Live Bootleg from '78 has a WLP but I think the industry in general was using stickers and stamps more and more.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:44 am

Japan was still doing WLP into the late 80's. There are examples of other bands with WLP out there too. Probably not the norm but it was certainly not dead. I have X's Burning House Of Love 12 inch WLP from 85 which is on Elektra.
Last edited by pitkin88 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:07 am

X

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From mestreetch:

Maybe even earlier - I have promos for FTI, Van Halen I, Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous and Queen Live Killers, all from 1978 and all are just stickered. I know Aerosmith Live Bootleg from '78 has a WLP but I think the industry in general was using stickers and stamps more and more.
I'm almost sure I have an WLP of from the inside.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:35 am

yeah - in no way I'm suggesting WLP don't exists past the late seventies, I just get the sense from ebay sale availability, that the numbers diminished. As well I'm in Canada and my promo items are Canadian not the major market that the US is, we often get the stripped down or cheaper versions of albums.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:40 am

From pitkin88:
"Hidden Persuaders - "very rough demo" from Dada sessions I'd like to hear this rough or not."

You wouldn't say that if you actually had.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 am

From pitkin88:
"It is a very unusual title for a song."

I think it's from a famous book about advertising, which is the kind of thing Alice would do.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:45 am

From Toronto Bob:
"Maybe even earlier - I have promos for FTI"

I am almost certain there was one for "Flush The Fasion" and I don't think I've ever seen one for any Alice Cooper album after that.