Alice reportedly in talks to play Green Goblin on Broadway

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Alice reportedly in talks to play Green Goblin on Broadway

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Alice Cooper to Play Green Goblin in SPIDER-MAN: TURN OFF THE DARK?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Al ... K-20131004

'No More Mr. Nice Guy' for Alice Cooper! According to the New York Post's Michael Riedel, rocker Alice Cooper is currently in negotiations to take on the role of supervillain the Green Goblin in Broadway's SPIDER-MAN: TURN OFF THE DARK.

The multi-million dollar production, which has been plagued with troubles including cast injuries, pans from critics and lawsuits since it began in previews, is hoping to keep ticket sales up during the slow winter months of January and February with the 'headline-grabbing' stunt.

Casting the 'The Godfather of Shock Rock' was the brain child of the show's producer, Michael Cohl, who Riedel describes as a "billionaire rock 'n' roll presenter" who was brought into the $85 million dollar production by his friend Bono, who composed the show's music.

Hoping to eventually recoup the money investors have poured into the show, Cohl plans to "franchise" the show around the world and stage it in such venues as stadiums and arenas which hold thousands of people. He is also banking on the fact that a three-year run on the Broadway stage will attract larger audiences. Bringing in Alice Cooper would give the show better odds of perservering on the Great White Way. According to the report, Cooper will earn a healthy $150,000 per week for his efforts.

Back in July, BWW reported that Cooper hopes to bring the music from his classic 1975 album, 'Welcome to My Nightmare' to the Broadway stage. "That idea's always out there," he explained. "You just have to wait until a producer comes long and says 'I love that idea.' I think maybe a little more time needs to go by before 'Nightmare' becomes sort of an American classic; then we'll have that validity to go and do the (Broadway) show." Looks like Cooper himself will make it to the Broadway stage before that goal can be accomplished!

SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark features music and lyrics by 22-time Grammy Award-winners Bono and The Edge and a book co-written by Julie Taymor, Glen Berger and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, with direction by Ms. Taymor and additional direction by Philip William McKinley. Scenic Designer George Tsypin and Costume Designer Eiko Ishioka are winners of Outer Critics Circle Awards and were nominated for Tony Awards for their work on Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark.

The world's most recognizable Super Hero leaps off the comic book pages and onto the Broadway stage in Spider-Man Turn Off the Dark. Peter Parker's ordinary teenage life takes a turn for the extraordinary when he's bitten by a genetically altered spider and suddenly finds himself endowed with incredible superpowers. Parker quickly learns that with great power comes great responsibility as he tries to juggle the demands of high school and home life, while battling the Green Goblin and his band of super villains as they try to take down New York City and destroy everything Peter holds dear - including the beautiful girl-next-door, Mary Jane Watson. This high-flying groundbreaking and history-making production brings this story - inspired by more than fifty years of Marvel comic books - thrillingly to life!
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

alicebackstage
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Alice reportedly in talks to play Green Goblin on Broadw

Post by alicebackstage » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Alice was APPROACHED about doing this but that's as far as it's gotten at this point. I'm not saying it's a no, and I'm not saying it's a yes. I will say that he wasn't that interested in doing it because he already has so much else to focus on and it would sit right in the middle of his much needed winter break, which would then turn his typical 6 to 7ish month yearly traveling schedule to a 8 to 9 month schedule if you include the March shows with the Rock Meets Classic tour. That's a lot of away time and I know he wasn't thrilled about the idea of doing it. BUT that's not to say he WON'T do it, but I didn't get the idea that he was going to bend over backwards to make it work. Who knows though

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Very interesting. I think it would be a lot of fun as a fan to see Alice take this on, but it's gotta work for him.

I guess I will put my Broadway trip planning on hold for the team being!

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:07 pm

I hope hè doesn't do it. I hate musicals ::((:

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:22 am

Love that character, the Green Goblin.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Well, this is interesting...in a sense Welcome to my Nightmare was a musical in 75..and Alice has been involved in some questionnable films imo e.g. SEXTETTE and such acting roles didnt kill his career off...so I think if he wants to do this stage role and the risk of physical injury is acceptable he would make an arch green goblin...why not?..Alice has always had a leaning for broadway and 150k a week wouldnt do any harm..Ive stuck with Alice through Maurice Escargot so the Green Goblin holds no fear for me
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Just want to add if Alice takes the role I hope he talks the show into using Vengeance is Mine...unlikely..but would be a classic fit in the spiderman v green goblin relationship :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:38 am

When once asked if he would ever think of doing a Broadway show Alice said "what we are doing now is a travelling broadway show so it doesn't need to be on Broadway"

It was during this interview

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5jgc ... io-1_music
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:45 am

I hope he doesn't do it. I'd rather have alice working on new music and being out and about.
I'm swimming in blood.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 am

While I do love musicals in general and think that seeing Alice in one would be great, I would probably prefer to see him do something other than "Spider-Man: Turn of the Dark". I mean it's his decision and I'm sure he'll have fun with the character if he chooses to do it, but from what little I've seen of the show I'm not really sure I can see Alice in that part. This is basically the Green Goblins big song in the show if you didn't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-epVr5kr8M

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:05 am

it's going to take away from touring and recording time= please forget this idea,besides as the article mentioned it's been panned so bad anyway. he may have to do it for pro bono if he does it.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 am

scotty wrote:it's going to take away from touring and recording time= please forget this idea,besides as the article mentioned it's been panned so bad anyway. he may have to do it for pro bono if he does it.
Apparently you didn't read the article OR alicebackstage's comment well. It would NOT take away from touring time. The time frame being looked at was for short-term, during Alice's time OFF the road.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:28 am

Swinger wrote:While I do love musicals in general and think that seeing Alice in one would be great, I would probably prefer to see him do something other than "Spider-Man: Turn of the Dark". I mean it's his decision and I'm sure he'll have fun with the character if he chooses to do it, but from what little I've seen of the show I'm not really sure I can see Alice in that part. This is basically the Green Goblins big song in the show if you didn't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-epVr5kr8M

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't.
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. I can't believe U2 wrote this.
I'm swimming in blood.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 am

[quote="NotSoPerfect"][quote="scotty"]it's going to take away from touring and recording time= please forget this idea,besides as the article mentioned it's been panned so bad anyway. he may have to do it for pro bono if he does it.[/quote]

Apparently you didn't read the article OR alicebackstage's comment well. It would NOT take away from touring time. The time frame being looked at was for short-term, during Alice's time OFF the road.[/quote]

and recording? it will take away from that then,because he's almost always doing one or the other.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am

Or maybe he should do if BONO pays him! :laugh:
Decent idea, even though I disliked intensely the snide tone the reporter for THE POST used in referring to Alice as "washed up"-I don't think so! :nono:
LOVED SPIDER-MAN from the 60s-late 70's and the GG was always one of the more interesting bad guys. Personally, I think Alice would be a GREAT Morbius or Vulture-at least with either of those, he could fly through the air!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 am

scotty wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:
scotty wrote:it's going to take away from touring and recording time= please forget this idea,besides as the article mentioned it's been panned so bad anyway. he may have to do it for pro bono if he does it.
Apparently you didn't read the article OR alicebackstage's comment well. It would NOT take away from touring time. The time frame being looked at was for short-term, during Alice's time OFF the road.

and recording? it will take away from that then,because he's almost always doing one or the other.
That's not really true.

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 pm

tuneylune wrote: Decent idea, even though I disliked intensely the snide tone the reporter for THE POST used in referring to Alice as "washed up"-I don't think so! :nono:
Really? He called alice "washed up?" I didn't see that.
I'm swimming in blood.

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 am

I think you're reading between the lines too much.

*this is my 69th post! 69! woooooooooooooooooooooo! :rotfl:
I'm swimming in blood.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:02 am

pinkerton wrote:
tuneylune wrote: Decent idea, even though I disliked intensely the snide tone the reporter for THE POST used in referring to Alice as "washed up"-I don't think so! :nono:
Really? He called alice "washed up?" I didn't see that.
Sadly, yes. It seems to be the "Thing" to do when doing an Alice article is mention his age or intimate he is "washed up" because he's not playing stadiums for every date. Even as far back as 1986, before my first show (CONSTRICTOR), the WASHINGTON POST had a blurb for it saying, in effect,"Old Rock Stars never die. They just get older. Alice Cooper will be at The Patriot Center...."
He was only 38 at the time!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pinkerton
Killer
Killer

Post by pinkerton » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am

I still think you're reading between the lines.

38 is old! :rotfl:
I'm swimming in blood.