The Alice Cooper album of the Day: BRUTAL PLANET

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

The Alice Cooper album of the Day: BRUTAL PLANET

Post by tuneylune » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm

After the box set finally came out to predominantly great reviews out as well as the Todd McFarlane action figure (McFarlane said "Alice Cooper may have hit some lows, but now he's cool again"), I was eager to see what my favorite would come out with next-I usually plan to enjoy what he does, but could not expected how good BP would be-absolutely his heaviest album and very much like a vintage Black Sabbath album in concept and tone (Black Sabbath literally saved my sanity when I had to move yet again after my Junior year in High School-after finally getting a best friend and lots of close chums, a job and finally a serious girlfriend-I was seriously depressed and after playing the hell out of PARANOID, I quickly picked up the rest of the catalougue which helped out so much).
The opening two tracks are superb with the thunderous drumming by Eric Singer and the choppy guitar playing by Bob Marlette (wish the lead players were listed by song-would like to know wehat songs Ryan Roxie plays on-can anyone help me?) make them great in concert songs and it was awesome hearing "Wicked Young Man" played instead of "Triggerman" the last time I saw him in 2002. Think Natalie Delaney's backing vocal on the title track really helps out
"Sactuary" moves like a freight train and I think it sounds a lot like a Motorhead song (in fact, I can see Lemmy doing this proud!) and after the horror of COlumbine, found "WYM" and "Blow Me a Kiss" to be extremely timely, although sad that something like that happened.
The eeriest song for me is "Pick up the Bones", knowing it was about the awful situation in the former Yugoslavia (when I saw the term "Ethnic Cleansing" in TIME, all I could think about was other euphenisms like "Resettlement" and "Final Solution"). Great vocals by Alice on this and to me, the first lead guitar part sounds a lot like "One" by Metallica, which is almost fitting as both songs deal with the ugly aftermath of war.
"Eat Some More" has some good sludgy guitar, but sort of meanders and while I like the music, the endless "Shut Ups" in "Pessi-mystic" grate. "Take It like a Woman" has nice keyboard work and a heartfelt vocal;, but just seems to me to be a quick re-write of "Only Women Bleed".
"Gimme" is great with its cajoling vocal and the first time I heard it and really listened to the words, all I could think of was "The Ringmaster(?) from THE LAST TEMPTATION. "Cold Machines" is another song that has grown on me and Alice's vocals shine on here, especially the way he holds the note on "I don't want to be Gone" and agree with other Sick Things that this would be a good concert song, but would be demanding.
With all this gloom and doom, a little levity is truly needed and "It's The Little Things" does deliver-hilarious, but so true. Alice had mentioned how many of the newer bands at the time , like Slipknot, were so mad and they had to lighten up.
Another great album. ****1/2
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: BRUTAL PLANET

Post by Inmate » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

This album means a lot to me because I grew up listening to this one the most, as well as always watching Brutally Live.
"I'm just another case…”

old school vet
Killer
Killer

Post by old school vet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:01 pm

My Partner was pregnant at the time of the release of the album and tour and the baby would kick her as soon as the intro was played to BP.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:46 am

One of Alice's best albums ever. I still enjoy listening to this one and contains some of his best lyrics.

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 am

cooperrocks wrote:One of Alice's best albums ever. I still enjoy listening to this one and contains some of his best lyrics.
I definitely agree.
"I'm just another case…”

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Best thing he has done since leaving the original group. After listening to that you felt like you were beat to a pulp and left lying in a fetal position with fluids coming out of every orifice.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Brilliant album.
As a big Metal fan, it's great to hear Alice doing it (better than a lot of metal bands I might add).

I've never really liked Blow Me A Kiss, but the rest of the album is flawless.

The only time you get the classic Alice humour is on It's The Little Things. The riffs are all fantastic. Especially on Cold Machines, Wicked Young Man and the title track.

Stand out tracks for me are Brutal Planet, Gimme, Wicked Young Man, Sanctuary, Pick Up The Bones and Cold Machines.

Pessi-mystic and Eat Some More are really sinister, heavy songs that make Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson seem light-hearted.

It's The Little Things lightens the mood and has one of my favourite Alice chorus's of all time.

Gimme and Cold Machines are my two absolute favourites. Would LOVE to see them live someday.

Take It Like A Woman is a really good song too. The most aggressive Alice ballad imo.

After Hey Stoopid, From The Inside, RYFAY and W2MN, this is my favourite solo effort by Alice. 10/10.
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Inmate
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Inmate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Desperado22 wrote:Brilliant album.
As a big Metal fan, it's great to hear Alice doing it (better than a lot of metal bands I might add).

The only time you get the classic Alice humour is on It's The Little Things. The riffs are all fantastic. Especially on Cold Machines, Wicked Young Man and the title track.

Stand out tracks for me are Brutal Planet, Gimme, Wicked Young Man, Sanctuary, Pick Up The Bones and Cold Machines.

Pessi-mystic and Eat Some More are really sinister, heavy songs that make Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson seem light-hearted.

It's The Little Things lightens the mood and has one of my favourite Alice chorus's of all time.

Gimme and Cold Machines are my two absolute favourites. Would LOVE to see them live someday.

Take It Like A Woman is a really good song too. The most aggressive Alice ballad imo.

After Hey Stoopid, From The Inside, RYFAY and W2MN, this is my favourite solo effort by Alice. 10/10.
Great review, man! :8):
"I'm just another case…”

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 am

this is one of those albums I have no problem putting on,and not skipping any tracks at all (with maybe "take it like a woman" a possible exception) because it's in my top 5 alice albums.

Desperado22
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Desperado22 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

Inmate wrote:
Desperado22 wrote:Brilliant album.

Great review, man! :8):
Thanks. :alice:
All Of My Life Was A Laugh And A Joke
And A Drink And A Smoke
And Then I Passed Out On The Floor

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Alice always renew himself and an artist must do that. Around that time, there was Marilyn Manson and NIN, industrial rock, so it was like the thing to do, to make an album like Brutal Planet, to attract the fans of those bands and keep up with the trend.
I love Brutal Planet, as industrial rock is probably my favorite kind of rock.
[

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:16 pm

>so it was like the thing to do, to make an album like Brutal Planet, to attract the fans of those bands and keep up with the trend.

Also, it was because he enjoyed that style.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm

One of my favorite Alice albums, in my top 5 for sure. When I first heard the title track on the internet I was blown away, I thought it was gonna be released as a single and the radio would play it alot. I'm still surprised that it wasn't the single because I think it would have been huge. It was the right sound at the right time, when radio stations were actually playing that kind of music. The tour was really good too. I think it was the last time Alice put together a new show specifically revolving around a new album.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:53 pm

>It was the right sound at the right time,

Well, "Gimme" was as well.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 pm

A truly well produced album. Almost every song was a hit in my book. Alice adapted this style as though it was his to begin with. Not to mention it features a criminally underrated guitarist named Phil-X, absolutely nothing this guy CAN'T play. Check his stuff out on YouTube.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 am

I loved this album upon release. What a comeback! On reflection, I'm a little more critical of it I suppose. I dig it, but it feels a little more calculated to me than I originally felt. Mostly well written, but there are a few that really come near barrel scraping territory. Pessi-Mystic anyone? ;)

Diane D.
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Diane D. » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Devon wrote:A truly well produced album. Almost every song was a hit in my book. Alice adapted this style as though it was his to begin with. Not to mention it features a criminally underrated guitarist named Phil-X, absolutely nothing this guy CAN'T play. Check his stuff out on YouTube.
It would be much better to see him in person, than on YouTube.
[

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 am

While that is true normally, Phil-X is mostly based on in L.A., he doesn't do a lot of national touring. Plus he does online demonstrations for a guitar store in L.A. and has a huge following on YouTube, so you're best bet is to see him on there.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:39 pm

One of Alice Cooper's best albums I think. Best since Dada in my opinion because it seemed 'honest' and an album that he just wanted to make.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

It is an excellent album but I'm not as crazy about it as many others here. I am probably in a minority but I think the title track is actually the worst song on the album. It seems to be too monotonic from singing perspective (and also quite preachy lyrically).

With that being said I think Pick Up The Bones is one of Alice's greatest songs of all time and doomy Eat Some More is simply crushing (One of the rare songs about wasting food. I can't actually think of any other at the moment) and It's the little things is just as hard-rocking as it is funny. Some of the songs feel a little bit formualaic but the album has lots of great social commentary and hard rocking tunes.

I still prefer Dragontown because I like Alice best when he is more diverse and throws more curveballs.