The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Re: The Alice Cooper album of the Day: ALONG CAME A SPIDER

Post by Railwayman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:17 pm

I was quite enthused when hearing the prelaunch blurb and a few samples but when I heard the whole album I thought what a wasted opportunity. Interesting concept but what a disappointment. Can't remember the last time I listened to it and have no great desire to give it another listen. Bottom of my Alice list I'm afraid.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:47 pm

Shame the album doesn’t match the Brilliant cover and package

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:46 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:47 pm
That is almost the biggest problem with the album. The build up, including the mini-movie, was brilliant - but the album didn't delver on the promise.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 am

Si wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:46 am
jacknifejohnny wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:47 pm
That is almost the biggest problem with the album. The build up, including the mini-movie, was brilliant - but the album didn't delver on the promise.
That's pretty much my sentiments exactly. A friend and myself did a video ranking the albums and this one came rock bottom: https://youtu.be/p49hkTm3hJM

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:45 pm

Well, I've always loved it. Indeed, nowadays, it's one of only three post-Warners studio albums that I own (the others being TLT & BP). ACAS has some great retro glam stomp; all the songs are catchy; and there's a genuine cohesive feel to the storyline. Plus there's an Alice signature sound to the whole thing, which is certainly missing from the last two studio albums.The packaging is superb as well. Production-wise, I'll take the 'amateurish' over Mr Ezrin's kitchen sink polishings any day.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:01 pm

You can ready my thoughts on this album on my website here:

https://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk/ ... pider-era/

Hope you find it useful!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:44 pm

Anyone know if this will get reissued on vinyl anytime soon? I know Brutal Planet through Dirty Diamonds has all been reissued recently, and then they went back to Brutal Planet for some reason, but I haven't ever seen a reissue of this or W2MN.

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:22 am

I love it. It was the last time we got the pure, uncut "evil Alice" character. Alice is all-in on every track, chewing the scenery in the best Alice fashion. To me, this is the last album that feels like Alice was fully committed and focused on his own concept. In that, it has more in common with LT, BP, and DT than the Ezrin collaborations that followed.

I get some of the criticisms of the production. But while not everything is as fully realized as it could have been with better production, from start to finish it feels more consistent and of a piece than any of the recent Ezrin collaborations. To me, those feel like 50% (or more) Ezrin filler and B-sides.

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:20 pm

tuneylune wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 pm
I remember most of you did not seem to like this at all when it came out. For my money, it's a good effort with a really creepy story line, but I find the album to be overproduced and we are bludgeoned over and over by the plot. There are some great songs on here, especially "I know where you Live" (which would be awesome on stage), "Vengeance is Mine" with superb lead guitar by Slash, "In touch with your Feminine Side", "I'm Hungry" and "I am The Spider", but there is a lot of filler and it might have worked better as a more bare bones project. Good graphics on the inside and booklet. This won't be a constant player, but I can listen to it now and again without too much pain.***
Been away for sometime so excuse the late response. I always loved this album and great concept. I agree the design of the album was good. I do remember people saying autotune but I didn't think so. I do know when I heard this album I had the whole concert in my head w/ all the theatrics. Alice could of done a whole tour on this album like he did w/ the '75 Welcome To My Nightmare. I believe after this album Alice has been using Ezrin ever since.