New book: Welcome to My Nightmare

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

The Professor
Trash
Trash

Re: New book: Welcome to My Nightmare

Post by The Professor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:47 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I find it hard to imagine anyone short of the author himself, a family member of the author, or the publisher going to the lengths The Professor has to defend this book.
Or maybe just somebody who enjoyed it. and was trying to shw that it isn't as bad as so many people seem to think...

But you've all already made your minds up - including the ones who haven't read it, it seems. Nice to have met you but I'm out of here.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 am

I agree in part with The Prof. As I said earlier it's an enjoyable read as it's well written. I'm not saying people shouldn`t read it, just take things as you should most of the other books, with a pinch of salt. Don't believe everything you read and play spot the obvious mistake.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 am

no coincidence I make the publisher and Dave Thompson aware of this site in relation to how many errors are in this book and the reaction, and we get a failed damaged limitation exercise by a new poster called The Professor who is either a friend or relative of Thompson, Thompson himself or someone from Omnibus press.

A book burning?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am

I'm sorry, I couldn't enjoy a book like this (no matter how well it is written) as I wouldn't know what to believe, and that defeats the whole purpose of this type of book - it's supposed to be the truth, and it isn't, that makes it a joke of a book.

Crap cover as well!! :)
Last edited by Gunner on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Robbie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:04 am

Steven wrote "A book burning?"

"Where you burn books you later burn people......" Heinrich Heine

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am

>But you've all already made your minds up - including the ones who haven't read it, it seems.

Stop being a martyr. All I did was comment on your and other people's comments.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:43 am

Interestingly, you can only get the Kindle version of this book from Amazon in the US right now. The paperback version isn't available until Sept. 1st.

And since someone mentioned the cover, I can't resist, that cover looks like Alice had something bad for lunch.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Sorry to see the Professor go..he had a great moniker...re people having made their minds up..we all read/listen to reviews and this informs what we subsequently buy...ok I have slavishly but some AC material in my time...but reviews and opinions help especially from some of the contributors on this site.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:54 pm

>But you've all already made your minds up - including the ones who haven't read it, it seems.

Why would I not believe the errors that people are telling me about????

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:56 pm

steven_crayn wrote:no coincidence I make the publisher and Dave Thompson aware of this site in relation to how many errors are in this book and the reaction, and we get a failed damaged limitation exercise by a new poster called The Professor who is either a friend or relative of Thompson, Thompson himself or someone from Omnibus press.

A book burning?
EXACTLY what I thought!

OF COURSE they would visit this site for feedback...of course they would!!

The Professor
Trash
Trash

Post by The Professor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

steven_crayn wrote:no coincidence I make the publisher and Dave Thompson aware of this site in relation to how many errors are in this book and the reaction, and we get a failed damaged limitation exercise by a new poster called The Professor who is either a friend or relative of Thompson, Thompson himself or someone from Omnibus press.
Or maybe even the author of one of the interviews whose accuracy people have been questioning?

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:41 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Interestingly, you can only get the Kindle version of this book from Amazon in the US right now. The paperback version isn't available until Sept. 1st.

And since someone mentioned the cover, I can't resist, that cover looks like Alice had something bad for lunch.
Hmm, I may have to get the Kindle version despite the errors. As with that you can get revised versions..
still thinking though as I'm limited to PC and Android. Although have considered a basic kindle

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I think you shouldn't let the obvious mistakes put you off the book. I say about 95% of it is accurate and very enjoyable to read. Obviously most of us on here can easily spot mistakes as we know so much about Alice already but it has got me thinking how accurate are all the books I have read about other artists that I don't already know so much about.
Last edited by James1981 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomshanka

cherrypie
Spacebrain Vagabond
Spacebrain Vagabond

Post by cherrypie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I agree with James. Although I'm sure he meant shouldn't.
I hate Opera, I hate Oprah
http://www.fountainlife.blogspot.com

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 pm

cherrypie wrote:I agree with James. Although I'm sure he meant shouldn't.
Thanks Penny and horray for the edit button :clap:
Boomshanka

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Here's a few more tidbits I pulled from the book now I've finished it. These are just a few things that jumped out at me as being obvious:

Continues to mention son Damien, but doesn`t name Sonora at all [Perhaps he couldn`t be bothered to look it up]

"The Nightmare" was a "video Concert release" released in 1984

Joe Perry and Alice wrote 6 songs, two of which are in 'Monster Dog'

Mentions the Bob Greene 'Esquire' article, but as I recall there is no mention of 'Billion Dollar Baby' anywhere. [Not techically a mistake I know, just poor]

1985 Joe Perry and Dick Wagner "back on board" for Constrictor [it's not made clear in what capacity they are "back" or that they had nothing to do with the album. Actually I wonder if he meant to mention that Alice, Neal and Dennis jammed with Kane during the early stages of the album but got it wrong.]

Ezrin introduced Alice to Kane Roberts [maybe, but not heard it before that I recall]

Side two of 'Raise Your Fist' is "kind of autobiographical"

Mentions the Blunket story, and that it was picked up in Germany, but doesn`t mention that the stage show was changed for some german shows to remove the things that were "objectionable" to the authorities.

Dick Wagner and Bob Ezrin worked on a new single 'I've Got A Line On You'

Misquotes lyrics to 'Lost In America'

Cooperstown reunion Dec 1998 was only 10 minutes and featured just three songs (Mike and Alice played BML, 18, SO, and then Neal arrived and they did NMMNG, MOL, ITMB, Desperado, Billion Dollar Babies)

Bob Ezrin produced 'Dragontown' [he was credited as "executive producer" I believe, but not the actual producer.]

Misnames "It's Much Too Late" as "It's Too Late"

Misnames "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" several times as "Disco Bloodbath Boogie"

Credits Mike Bruce for writng "Runaway Train" and Dennis for writing" "When Hell Comes Home"

Misnames "The Last Man On Earth" as "The Last Man"

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 pm

>Here's a few more tidbits I pulled from the book now I've finished it. These are just a few things that jumped out at me as being obvious:

They are all unforgivable.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 am

Wow, and you're saying I should buy this Si?
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm

not wanting to jump of the hate bandwagon, but this is unforgiveable. doesn't anyone bother w/ research these days? or proof reading? too lazy? too eager to get it out the door and cash in? and then to have the nerve to come onto a site that is home base to your target audience and try and justify it? really?
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks Si.

They are unforgivable errors. It's almost laughable. Si, did you learn anything from this book? Or are you not sure? ha ha!

I think some blame has to go to copy-editing too; I think it is one of a copy-editor's tasks to raise any details that seem questionable. OK, the copy-editor is unlikely to be an AC fan, but you may expect this person to pick up on maybe one or two of those.