W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:20 am

OK. I listened to this album several times now. I think I can honestly review it now. Sorry it's a little late compared to everyone else. I actually waited for the fan pack. Also downloaded it from itunes. I apologize in advanced if I'm repeating anything any else has said. I'm sure I will. There's both negatives and positives in my opinion. Negatives first, just to get them out of the way. First, I know Dick Wagner has been ill but a Nightmare album needs his stamp all over it. This clearly doesn't have it. It's not a knock on Tommy's contributions. I'll explain later. It's just a let down that we didn't get that Wagner/Hunter duo guitar tandem. It probably couldn't be avoided. Secondly, the album cover didn't knock me out. Not that it's bad but I was hoping for a classy painting as opposed to an actual photo. I liked all the art work inside much better. The last negative is there are three songs that just don't do it for me.
Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever, Ghouls Gone Wild and What Baby Wants. I clearly understand what DBBF is about and why. The arrangement is actually interesting but Alice rapping just kills me. I probably wouldn't have minded if someone else did the rap but hearing Alice do it goes right through me. The song falls short in my opinion. My kid likes it so that's all that probably matters.
Ghouls Gone Wild is a little to poppy for me. Keepin Halloween Alive is much better. At least that has a little edge to it. GGW's cheesy chorus is just a little lame for me.
What Baby Wants. This song just doesn't seem to belong. It has nothing to do with Keisha. Just a crappy pop song. The end.
Now the positives. Everything else is pretty awesome.

I Am Made of You is brilliant. Some have complained about the auto-tune but that's kind of what's hot today. I get it. I don't think it matters. The song is epic. If this was the 90's it would have been that over-used megaphone sound. Steve Hunter is the man. What a great solo.

Caffeine: My kid loves this one. I do too. Great fun rocker with a cool hook.

Nightmare Returns: Clearly the "Years Ago" for this album. No complaints but no need to praise it either. Just a good segue into the nightmare.

A Runaway Train: This just kills. Vince Gill lays down a pretty mean solo and the guys lay down a serious groove. Love this song.

Last Man On Earth: Clearly the "Some Folks" for this album. Excellent. I picture Ernest Borgnine in Escape From New York watching that weird play in a run down theater. Love it. Strange reference but that's what popped into my head.

The Congregation: Good song. Sounds to me like a song that could have been on The Last Temptation or something. Good song but not "Nightmare" caliber if that makes any sense.

I'll Bite Your Face Off: Awesome song. Just awesome. Perfect for the first single. Great bridge. Great piano. Love it.

After IBYFO, this is where the album kind of loses me. I don't dig DBBF or GGW as I explained above.

Something to Remember Me By is good ballad. I don't consider it one of the great Cooper/Ezrin/Wagner collaborations but it's good nonetheless.

When Hell Comes Home: The highlight for me. This sounds like Alice Cooper, the band. That's because it is. That pocket is unmistakeable on this song. Dennis and Neal are just awesome together. This could have been at home on Killer Part II if they ever made one. Might be my favorite song on the album. Awesome. Makes me want more of these guys.

What Baby Wants: Crap. Sorry. Poor attempt to fit in, in my opinion. This album is better without it.

I Gotta Get Out of Here: Wasn't sure about this one at first. Reminded me of a Tom Petty song at first but after a few listens I find this song pretty cool. Is Steven really dead or just dreaming he is? Pretty cool.

The Underture: Very very cool how Bob bridges the music from both albums here. I enjoyed this track a lot. Kind of like the Grande Finale on School's Out.

Under The Bed: Decent song.But I can see why it's a bonus track.

A Bad Situation: Reminds me of The Who. But this song just kicks. Great track. I'd rather this be in the story before Under The Bed.

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place: Never cared for the original version. Don't care too much for this one either.

Bottom line. Aside from the three songs I mentioned, this just may be the best Alice solo album since From The Inside. I'm not sure if I like it more than ACGTH but it's up there. I think Tommy did a great job writing and playing. This album also shows what Bob Ezrin brings to the table. Most of Alice's solo albums seem to be missing something. That something is Bob Ezrin. I'm hoping they make another album together. I'm hoping Dick Wagner becomes well enough to be the main guy again. That's really my only thing. Dick's absence sticks out like a sore thumb to me. And I'm sure this all has to do with my expectations. When you call something Part II it's inevitably going to be compared to the original. This album is fun and great to listen to but the original was a masterpiece that apparently can't be touched. If they do a Part 3, which Alice alluded to, please either bring back Wagner completely or just make a whole album with the original band. The songs they are on shows they are a unique and viable entity even all these years later. Could anyone imagine a new complete album with DD, NS, MB, AC and SH on guitar? I'd be first in line as long as Ezrin is producing. Maybe the albums could have there own title and not be associated with the one and only Welcome To My Nightmare. :alice:

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 am

Hey Street Schizo you disliked exactly same three songs as me. I think this album is generally excellent but Ghouls gone wild is amazingly unimaginative Green day meets Ramones kind of song, Disco bloodbath boogie is just messy and What baby wants is like you said poor attemp to keep up with the current pop sound.

From playing perspective this is the most intense and consistent album from Alice I have heard in years. There are many excellent guitar solos even in weaker songs like Disco blodbath boogie fever. This album also contains many excellent lyrics. This sequel is way more interesting lyrically than ACAS. I was actually quite impressed by some lyrics.

I think I am made of you may be his best opening song ever. It's my favourite track on this album. It's certainly way better than any opening song he has written in this century. I haven't been impressed by many previous opening songs lately.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 am

>Some have complained about the auto-tune

It isn't called that, as has been already explained.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:59 am

>Poor attempt to fit in, in my opinion.

You're kind of missing the joke.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:20 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Some have complained about the auto-tune

It isn't called that, as has been already explained.
Whatever. Everyone knows what I meant.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Poor attempt to fit in, in my opinion.

You're kind of missing the joke.
I got the joke. I just don't get the song.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

>Whatever. Everyone knows what I meant.

They won't if they joined after your post.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:08 pm

I got the joke too, but the humor was fading fast. Thank God the song shifts gear at about 2:25 into it and becomes a very good rocker. That solo by John 5 is a ripper and shows up in the nick of time to save it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:26 pm

>That solo by John 5 is a ripper and shows up in the nick of time to save it.

Obviously, that's part of the joke too but I assume everyone knows that.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 pm

The funny thing about music is opinions will change over time. My 7 year old son loves Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever. We were setting up our Halloween decorations this morning and he made me play the entire album until we were done. Three times in total. Each time DBBF came on he said, "how do you not like this?" It's pretty funny coming from a 7 year old. Twenty years from now I'll probably love this song just because of that memory. His favorite song is Last Man On Earth which is funny because his favorite song on the original is Some Folks. He likes the entire album. Where on the original he doesn't like Only Women Bleed at all. I asked him which album he likes better and his answer was "I like both of them." It's magic for him. And that's the beauty of it. Kids don't analyze everything. it's either good or it's not. It's perfect because he's not old enough to care about "what's cool." That was us once upon a nightmare.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:48 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Whatever. Everyone knows what I meant.

They won't if they joined after your post.
Sorry if that was a bit curt. Wasn't intended to sound they way it looked. Hadn't had my coffee yet. I figured more people would associate it with auto tune than a Square Wave Effect. I didn't realize it was brought up.

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>That solo by John 5 is a ripper and shows up in the nick of time to save it.

Obviously, that's part of the joke too but I assume everyone knows that.
John 5 is amazing and the solo smokes. That I can agree with.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:14 pm

>Sorry if that was a bit curt.

No problem at all.

> I didn't realize it was brought up.

Which is why it's generally a good idea to read as many older posts as possible before posting.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:59 am

I am kind of surprised at how many people dislike DBBF & GGW, and to a lesser extent WBW.
I think all three are very strong tracks. On DBBF, besides the obvious humor I love the Wizard of Oz chant and I like the way Alice raps in a very 80s style in cadence and inflection (I almost expect to hear Flavor Flav to say "yeah boy" in there). The end does slay.
I kind of understand why people say GGW sounds like Ramones, however, that is only because so much of the Ramones sound like surf songs at a faster tempo.
It is more accurate to say it sounds like Duane Eddy & the Beach Boys.
I love when Alice cops a different genre to spoof, Disgraceland another excellent example.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:01 am

ThePainAddict wrote:It is more accurate to say it sounds like Duane Eddy & the Beach Boys.
That's what I thought.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:56 pm

O.K. my review and I'll keep this short and not so sweet..

Just awful...

So many thing that are wrong with this release but the worst part is how it diminishes from the originals legacy.

Alice should just stop making records if this is all he's capable of doing.

Schlock to the tenth power...

bruna8728
Trash
Trash

Post by bruna8728 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Parish wrote:O.K. my review and I'll keep this short and not so sweet..

Just awful...

So many thing that are wrong with this release but the worst part is how it diminishes from the originals legacy.

Schlock to the tenth power...
I don't think is awful, me and a lot of people liked his new album and in my opnion Alice should bring more albuns for us.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm

bruna8728 wrote: I don't think is awful, me and a lot of people liked his new album and in my opnion Alice should bring more albuns for us.
Yes when he's through being a rock star he can be your new mailman and do just that :grin:

This is clearly (once again) a case of the Emperor's new clothes...no one wants to rock their employment boat so they go along with anything Alice says. I don't know why I expected more of this release but with Ezrin, Dunaway, Bruce, Smith and Wagner's participation it should have been alot better than it turned out. When Hell Comes Home is the only track worth saving in my opinion. The Congregation had a chance as well until Alice felt the need to add a pee-pee joke...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:22 pm

'Welcome 2 My Nightmare' has entered the Finnish charts at #17.

Oh he's finnished alright... :smack:

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Parish wrote:So many thing that are wrong with this release but the worst part is how it diminishes from the originals legacy.
The original's legacy is still in tact.
Making a very well liked and successful album?