W2MN .. REVIEWED

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Re: W2MN .. REVIEWED

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 am

BellaDonna wrote:All arguments aside, you know what really inttrigues me about "I Am Made of You" the most? it's the sound of the gallows march in the first couple of verses.. outstanding.

BD
Wow! yes I noticed that too but I didn't think that it was a gallows march..just thought it was some weird wispering effect..but I think your right thats what it is. Now I can picture Dennis reading him his last rites just like the old days when listening to the song. Great observation Bella....gotta love all the little things sprinkled throughout not only this but most of Alice's work through the years.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 am

Gunner wrote:This may get my award for the worst review;

http://genericflow.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mare-2011/
I see you can't comment anymore..I left him one and it's been removed.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 am

While Heaven Wept. I remember a while ago you said that you had written another review for a website. Has this appeared anywhere yet? Thanks.
Boomshanka

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 am

I see you can't comment anymore..I left him one and it's been removed.

To be fair, it's all subjective, if the guy doesn't like the album then he's not wrong or right - it's a divergent issue - and this is one reason I don't really read reviews of any nature normally. I mean, what can someone's opinion do for your own opinion? HOWEVER, there is a way to express oneself, one can be constructively critical, objective, and I don't feel that this chap has achieved that level of respect.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:13 am

James1981 wrote:While Heaven Wept. I remember a while ago you said that you had written another review for a website. Has this appeared anywhere yet? Thanks.
It appears they didn't like my review and decided to print a different (unfavourable) one instead..... quite bizarre really.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 am

All the Ke$ha hate is rather austounding. I'll Say at first I didn't like the song. Becase of the way she sings in it. But I think that's the point. Its a song that slowly infects you. Creaping in from the back of you mind. Before to long your singing along to it. It is sort of a Pop vs Rock and Roll feell to it. Like some have said this could make for a great single. Maybe have the Album version on side A and The mostly Ke$ha version on side B. Put it out as a $10 Vinyl and a 2 Track Digital Download for like $4. Along with a Video As It would make for a great looking Vid.

Really a lot of songs would Ghouls Gone Wild animated in the Rob Zombie style.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 am

>a black double vinyl album which the official website listed (and still has listed)

That reference was removed a few days ago, actually.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:53 pm

> I see you can't comment anymore..I left him one and it's been removed.

I got into a heated argument with the dude and he got pissed so he decided to close the comment thread and delete all of them yesterday. Sorry guys. We were arguing about objective reviewing over subjective reviewing. He just doesn't understand. If you review a concept album like W2MN and only review it in an "objective" format, that would be like comparing it to an ACDC album. But if it's reviewed in a subjecive context as well, you can see where the artist was trying to go with the music in comparison to a regular rock album.

Devil'sFood666
Trash
Trash

Post by Devil'sFood666 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I just joined up today but this seemed like a good topic for me to post on first. I got my copy of the album over a week ago as I got the fanpack from Asda. I love the album. For me, it's the best album he's done in 20 years.

I Am Made Of You - Excellent song. I think it would be better without the autotune but it doesn't really bother me like I expected it to. Very creepy ballad with a fantastic guitar solo. The song sounds to me like it's Alice talking to God. 4/5

Caffeine - This one took a while to grow on me. However, when it grows on you it becomes addictive. It's a decent, catchy rock song with some classic Cooper humour. 5/5

The Nightmare Returns - This is ok, but as a number of people have pointed out, Under The Bed should have replaced this song. It's a creepy track but Under The Bed would fit perfectly here and it's a much stronger song imo. 3/5

A Runaway Train - I really like this one. There is no chorus but the music is catchy and the lyrics are very well written. Not the strongest song on the album but still very good. 4/5

The Last Man On Earth - Not only one of the best songs on the album, but one of the best Alice songs ever. It's similar to Some Folks (which is a great song) but this song is much better imo. It's catchy, funny and the lyrics are once again superb. It's hard to describe this song but I'm guessing everyone here has heard the album by now lol. 5/5

The Congregation - This song seems to be a big hit amongst fans but for some reason this track hasn't grown on me. It's decent enough but I don't enjoy it as much as the rest of the album. Rob Zombie's cameo is a nice touch. 3/5

I'll Bite Your Face Off - Love it. A Stones-inspired rock song that shows Alice meeting a very charming woman. Fantastic guitar work and the chorus is very powerful and catchy. 5/5

Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever - A lot of people seem to take this song too seriously. I don't like disco, rap or pop but this song is hilarious, addictive and fun. Alice's rapping is actually enjoyable as well as funny. The chorus is also very good. For those who don't appreciate Alice playing around with rap music, the second half of the song is overpowered by rock 'n roll. This song was a great surprise for me as I expected to hate it. 5/5

Ghouls Gone Wild - Another song that a lot of people arn't keen on but I also love this one. For me, it's one of the catchiest songs on the album and once again it has a lot of humour in it. 4/5

Something To Remember Me By - Alice has always made sure that his ballads were heartfelt and memorable. I wasn't too keen on "Killed By Love" from ACAS but this song is a typical Cooper ballad. Not in the league of I Never Cry or You And Me but it's still a good song and Alice sounds great here. 4/5

When Hell Comes Home - This song really stands out from the rest of the album. It's not fun or catchy and that's obviously the point. It's a very dark and heavy song about domestic abuse. Musically it's very tight and Alice's vocals have never sounded more menacing. This song wouldn't have sounded out of place of Brutal Planet. Excellent song. 5/5

What Baby Wants - Oh boy, here we go. When a rock star works with a pop star then there is always going to be controversy. I'm not a fan Of Ke$ha or dance music so I wasn't really looking forward to this track. It's not that great imo but Ke$ha does a pretty good job on it and her back and forth with Alice is pretty cool. I do really like the first half of this song but I usually end up skipping the last minute or two because it becomes boring for me after a while. Still a lot better than I thought though. 3/5.

I Gotta Get Outta Here - This song has everything. It has humour, good lyrics, it's catchy and it's fun to sing along to. It's one of those songs where the music is very upbeat but the situation is unpleasant. The twist at the end was very good and was most likely a nod to Give The Kid A Break. One of my favourite Alice songs since the 90s. 5/5

The Underture - This was very well done. Not much to say about it other than it's really well done and it's nice to hear the new music combined with the old classics.
4/5

Under The Bed - As I said earlier, this is a fantasic song and should really have been included on the album. This song would easily be one of my top ten Alice songs so it's a pity that it didn't make it on the album. Great chorus.
5/5

So I am very impressed with the new album. Much better than ACAS (which I liked) and I look forward to the tour next year. I still havn't heard A Bad Situation or Alice's cover of We Gotta Get Out Of This Place as I havn't been able to find them online and I don't wanna end up buying the album 3 or 4 times lol.

Great work Alice. One of your best albums to date. :rock: :rock:
I Can Take This Town And Burn It To the Ground. Smash Every Window That I See.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 pm

>Under The Bed should have replaced this song. It's a creepy track but Under The Bed would fit perfectly here

Well, for what it's worth, Alice and Bob obviously didn't think so, especially as Alice has already said and as has already been stated here, that the album isn't about what's "Under The Bed". It is a great song, though. How about a little gratitude that people are able to hear it, rather than it being forgotten and never be heard of again?!

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Here is a positive review.....Yay!!

http://www.fairfieldchampion.com.au/new ... torypage=1
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Under The Bed is the It Rained All Night of the new album. Sensational track!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Devil'sFood666 wrote: The Nightmare Returns - This is ok, but as a number of people have pointed out, Under The Bed should have replaced this song. It's a creepy track but Under The Bed would fit perfectly here and it's a much stronger song imo. 3/5
The Nightmare Returns could have been almost like an intro to Under The Bed
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

killer_juju
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_juju » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I agree. I plugged Under The Bed in right after The Nightmare Returns. It makes me think of falling into the dream state, but everything still seems normal. You think you are awake in bed, but weird things are going on around you, so obviously, you are not. That's how I see this song, and why I think it is perfect for the start of the nightmare, because things aren't really under the bed, but the subconscious/unconscious state makes you think it.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Lots of positives being expressed, great to see. Would just like to concur with Mr. Foods review and add that I have barely stopped listening to my Fan pack version since it arrived a week or so ago. Cracker of a story, great tunes of differing styles you can tap your foot to, well played and well produced.

Have to say I was a bit nervous when Alice said prior to release that it was in his top 5 or so but he is absolutely right on this one. The original is in no way tarnished or compromised. Fantastic addition to the collection, can't wait for the accompanying show.

Devil'sFood666
Trash
Trash

Post by Devil'sFood666 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>Under The Bed should have replaced this song. It's a creepy track but Under The Bed would fit perfectly here

Well, for what it's worth, Alice and Bob obviously didn't think so, especially as Alice has already said and as has already been stated here, that the album isn't about what's "Under The Bed". It is a great song, though. How about a little gratitude that people are able to hear it, rather than it being forgotten and never be heard of again?!
Yeah I guess that it would feel a little out of place, I just thought it would be nice to include it as it's such a great track. But like you said it's great that it's available to listen to.
I Can Take This Town And Burn It To the Ground. Smash Every Window That I See.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 pm

ey juju,

Trying to understand your complaint. You write

"I...hate this album.
There are some great songs on the album, and yes, it is all there, but there is some complete trash in my opinion also. If the two bonus tracks were included minus Disco Bloodbath, I would have found it a great album with a couple subpar moments."

So on an lp with 14 songs, you can bump two and add two, which are bonus songs that many people have, it goes from an lp you hate, to a great album? Wow, I guess there isn't that much that separates great from horrible for you. For me, a lp I hate would not become great with a couple of good tracks thrown in and a couple trashed, it would become passable, and just maybe decent. A really good lp, with such a trade would rise to great.
Can't help but think, as you alluded to, the other problems with your purchase have you a bit soured. Of course, I also disagree with you on your appraisal of many songs, but don't mind your opinion, just trying to understand it.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:52 am

Some people just love to hate.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm

I wonder who says Steven at the end of Flatline. Digatized the track and slowed that bit down.

PatrickS77
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PatrickS77 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:54 am

Devil'sFood666 wrote: I Am Made Of You - Excellent song. I think it would be better without the autotune but it doesn't really bother me like I expected it to. Very creepy ballad with a fantastic guitar solo. The song sounds to me like it's Alice talking to God. 4/5

The Last Man On Earth - Not only one of the best songs on the album, but one of the best Alice songs ever. It's similar to Some Folks (which is a great song) but this song is much better imo. It's catchy, funny and the lyrics are once again superb. It's hard to describe this song but I'm guessing everyone here has heard the album by now lol. 5/5

I Gotta Get Outta Here - This song has everything. It has humour, good lyrics, it's catchy and it's fun to sing along to. It's one of those songs where the music is very upbeat but the situation is unpleasant. The twist at the end was very good and was most likely a nod to Give The Kid A Break. One of my favourite Alice songs since the 90s. 5/5

Under The Bed - As I said earlier, this is a fantasic song and should really have been included on the album. This song would easily be one of my top ten Alice songs so it's a pity that it didn't make it on the album. Great chorus.
5/5
Yeah! Pretty much agree with that as those 4 songs are my favourite on the album. And does anyone think it's a coincidence that there is a song called "Last man on earth" on the album, as there also exists a Vincent Price movie of the same name (the original "I am legend" movie")?