Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Old School Boxset

Post by Si » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 pm

tommystooge wrote: I was watching the School's Out Paris footage (1972) awhile back, where we see the band at the hotel beforehand and saw Mick Mashbur get in the elevator, was wondering why he was there, I know they were all friends, but watching the show, Glen is on fire...
*If* it was Mick he could have been just hanging out with this friends. Don`t forget he had a history with the band members before he joined.
I seem to remember back when Mick was posting to mailing lists he mentioned quite a few occasions he went out to hang out with the guys. This could have been one of them.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:23 pm

>was wondering why he was there,

Well now I'm disappointed in you, because you had implied you were something of expert on Alice Cooper and now you've gone and let me down which is a shame. You should know why he may have been present and if you don't, you could have read the interview at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/interview ... may_07.php which would have answered your question.

Awakening
Killer
Killer

Post by Awakening » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 pm

I didn't expect that but the box arrived last friday. It's definitly a piece of art, Ernie have done an incredible work.

I didn't have a lot of time to listenn all that stuff. All I can say for the time is that the Killer In St Louis's CD sounds just amazing.
Oh, and to have the School's Out jam (Treasure Two) on a official support with that sound quality was just my ultimate fantasm !

Got the #1741 ;)

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi all, after waiting patiently for what seemed like years, I received my Old School Box Set (number 863) last week. Here’s my review which I hope you find useful (it’s aimed more at those that are not lucky enough to have one):

The Packaging

It’s hard not to admire the desk case, which is inspired by the original Schools Out album cover. This is a lavish production and is certainly in keeping with the price of the box set. As with a normal school desk, it can be kept in an upright position allowing you to view the contents which is a great touch.

My only gripes are that (a) the size and shape of this piece means that it isn’t at all easy to store (better move that wedding photo from the sideboard) and (b) the unique number is printed on (it would have been great if this could have been a metallic plaque). Also, (c) it’s quite hard to remove the Killer tour record from the lower portion of the case which is therefore likely to suffer as the vinyl is continually ‘picked’ out. None of these are major complaints though.

Old School DVD

This was the main attraction for me and the DVD combines some very good, and rare, video footage together with interviews with the band plus Bob Ezrin. An awful lot of the bands history is covered from the very beginning (The Earwigs right through to the band split). There are also some neat interludes based around the box set. Oh, and yes, the chicken story is in there too in case you never heard it!

There are many highlights on this disc, my personal favourites being the stories around John Tatum, Alice and the knife and Glen Buxton / The Greasers and the cigarette. Some of the general behind the scenes footage of the band is also fascinating and gives us a glimpse into life on the road (and in the air).

As indicated in Bob Ezrin’s introduction, it is obvious that there were technical / time constraints during the production of the DVD. Whilst that can be forgiven, it is unfortunate that the subject of the band split was covered at a later stage by Bob and Alice. It would have been nice to see the whole band cover this issue under one roof and put the various rumours to bed once and for all (I wouldn’t have wanted this to be any longer than a few minutes though).

Treasures 1 & 2 CD’s

Both these CD’s are great and feature some ultra rare songs and radio ads throughout the history of the band. I particularly liked the early, and extremely raw, versions of I’m Eighteen and Desperado on CD 1 and the School’s Out on CD 2 (the ‘Kids Session’ is hilarious).

The case of the first CD sadly does not have ‘Treasures 1’ printed on it (unlike CD 2).
Killer in St Louis (CD and LP)

On reflection, this is probably the jewel in the Old School Box Set crown. What we have here is an excellent quality recording of a band at the height of their powers. The sound quality is remarkably crisp and several of these tracks will be making their way onto my beloved live iPod playlist in place of other examples.

7” Nazz Single

I’ve not listened to this as I already have the tracks, it’s a nice reproduction of the original single though and a worthy addition to the set.
Treasures Folder

Here we have a fantastic tour programme reproduction which really is a great item. Also included is a ticket stub copy (£1 entry in ’72!), a set list copy and some artwork which are nice to have.

Yearbook

I’m still reading through this but it’s very well produced and certainly has the feel of a 70’s type annual. Again, it looks and feels like a lot of effort has gone into it.

Verdict

This is a dream come true for hard core Alice Cooper fans and, in this respect, is a priceless collection of material. As indicated above, this sits pride of place on the sideboard in my dining room and is likely to stay there as it’s far too good to be kept out of site.
I paid £160.00 for the set which is reasonable value based on what is provided. I would have preferred however, to have paid slightly less (say £125.00) and forgone the Killer LP and Spoken CD as the material in these is already provided in CD and DVD form respectively.

Something signed by Alice and co would have been good but I understand that with 4,000 copies produced that would have been a very tall order. I don’t expect Alice and the surviving members of the band will be signing many of the desks due to the bulky size (and therefore problems transporting them) so I’ll probably be taking the programme along next time I see him instead.

So is it worth investing in? Yes, of course it is and huge well done to everyone involved in making this a reality. I can only hope and pray that that another set of similar epic proportions will be released covering the solo years…

Finally, my set clearly had a fault as there was no Golden Ticket inside! I would love to see a picture of one if anyone was lucky enough to get one!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:24 pm

>(b) the unique number is printed on (it would have been great if this could have been a metallic plaque).

That would have been too expensive.

> Also, (c) it’s quite hard to remove the Killer tour record from the lower portion of the case

It should be kept in the upper part. Was it not packed that way?

>The case of the first CD sadly does not have ‘Treasures 1’ printed on it (unlike CD 2).
Killer in St Louis (CD and LP)

That's unfortunate and has already been raised.

> Spoken CD as the material in these is already provided in CD and DVD form respectively.

No, there is quite a bit of material on that disc which is not included anywhere else in the box - set. Thanks for the review, though and I'm glad you liked it.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Yup, the plaque would no doubt have been a costly option.

I can't say with any confidence where The LP was when I unpacked it, it may well have been in the top deck in hindsight.

I'll listen to the CD again, thanks for that.

It really is a great set, no doubt it has some surprises even for the band!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:04 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:>was wondering why he was there,

Well now I'm disappointed in you, because you had implied you were something of expert on Alice Cooper and now you've gone and let me down which is a shame. You should know why he may have been present and if you don't, you could have read the interview at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/interview ... may_07.php which would have answered your question.
Who says so ?

besides according to you he isn't a part of The Alice Cooper Legacy...oh well
Remember The Coop !!

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 am

wind_up_toy wrote:
it is unfortunate that the subject of the band split was covered at a later stage by Bob and Alice. It would have been nice to see the whole band cover this issue under one roof and put the various rumours to bed once and for all (I wouldn’t have wanted this to be any longer than a few minutes though).

I hear that...i would have totally settled for a few minutes of that discussion...
Remember The Coop !!

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 am

So, some of you are still convinced that there is one simple answer in that discussion?
::((:

juancoop
Killer
Killer

Post by juancoop » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 am

Hey guys, my very first post, my very bad english.... I hope you understand what I mean:

I received my box set few days ago and I absolutely LOVE it. Ive got the number 142. It duplicated its price by taxes and import fees plus DHL fees (Im in argentina).... ouch!
THe price for me was acceptable.... it is something for the sick things, hard core fans... not for the general public....
The packaging is amazing... the desk is very well done, Ernie Cefalu is a genius!! I dont have a clue about where the heck Im gonna store it, but I think I'd change my furniture in order to give it the space it deserves, he he....
It's amazing the work that is in there... I really appreciate it.
What I like the most are the first two discs.... the spoken disk and the dvd are so FUN to hear and watch...
THe art printings are amazing, very high quality and a pleasure to look at, Im framing them for sure.
The setlist is a nice detail, I think they printed it in thin paper as if it was the original. The ticket stub is something I coul live without, but a nice thing to get, just because it's there.
THe vinyls are ok, I just dot get the "vinyl power", I dont have a way to reproduce them.... but anyway, a nice adition to the box. I dont get the duplication of the bootleg or the interviews (I know it is slightly different in one compared to the other source)
Things I'd like to be different:
- the pictures, I dont see quite a lot never before seen pictures.... Im sure the ACG members would have more to add...
- the way the pictures are set thru the pages of the yearbook... several of them are not complete, they have a corner or some portion missing... would be better to just show them straight in each page.
- I think they would have added some more stuff in it, maybe more video... a poster would be niiiice.... not a big complaint, but just something more... the most valuable discs are the 1 and 2.
- The band interview is very very FUN to watch, I LOVE to get Alice to tell the major parts, the way he's got to tell the stories is unique, but the rest of the members didnt seem to be able to add anything else. MB is a ghost in the dvd...
- The way alice all of the sudden disappears... just doesnt make any sense that in such a project they dont get a chance to get 2 hours together.
- The band breakup... just alice's point of view. Dont get me wrong, but its an ACG release... why not sit and STAY together and talk about something SO IMPORTANT to the group?
- The alice-ezrin shooting.... that crazy camera is moving and zooming in and out so violently? It sometimes is out of focus! I dont get the NEED to do that instead of JUST leave it still and in one position.
- The Jagermeister download territory restriction... ridiculous. The same for the elected video clip. Just dont get it.

But the feeling I have is just gratitude of this excelent work that Im happy to see and get and play and enjoy... so amazing to get it... I didnt expect anything else from the acg at this time.... so it is very very cool to see something in the first place and of this kind of luxury edition.....
Great work. My congratulations to everyone involved.
Im buying another one just to keep it sealed. It's a jewel.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:06 am

GNDM wrote:So, some of you are still convinced that there is one simple answer in that discussion?
::((:
My view is that they chose to cover it briefly so it's a shame it couldn't have been done in the presence of the whole band. I understand why it couldn't however, they ran out of time and were doing the history in chronological order. Bob also said that Alice gave an accurate account of the subject and I certainly am in no position to challenge that.

It's not a show stopper but I expect the question would be on many fans top ten lists of questions. With that in mind, and knowing time was running out, it maybe should have been covered with the whole band at the expense of something else.

I'm saying no more on the subject as I don't want to detract from the fact that this is a sensational production and one that I will treasure.

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 am

Will be getting a drawer to put bellow my record collection for this. As it is. Difficilt to set somewhere it will stay safe. So will have a deticated drawer for it..

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:04 am

>Who says so ?

"Who says" what?

>besides according to you he isn't a part of The Alice Cooper Legacy

You asked a question and I answered it. Is there a problem?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:14 am

> the pictures, I dont see quite a lot never before seen pictures.... Im sure the ACG members would have more to add...

All the band members contributed material but there were sometimes copyright issues. Some photographers were helpful and some were not.

>the way the pictures are set thru the pages of the yearbook... several of them are not complete, they have a corner or some portion missing... would be better to just show them straight in each page.

That was a creative decision made designer of it.

>I think they would have added some more stuff in it, maybe more video...

There is more than two hours of it already!

>a poster would be niiiice.... not a big complaint,

You have five different small 'posters' instead.

>but the rest of the members didnt seem to be able to add anything else.

I'm not sure that's true. I think the others with the exception of Michael made sufficient contributions.

> MB is a ghost in the dvd...

This has already been discussed. Michael did not say very much during this process.

>- The way alice all of the sudden disappears... just doesnt make any sense that in such a project they dont get a chance to get 2 hours together.

This has already been discussed. Take a look at some previous posts.

>- The band breakup... just alice's point of view. Dont get me wrong, but its an ACG release... why not sit and STAY together and talk about something SO IMPORTANT to the group?

This has already been discussed. Take a look at some previous posts.

>- The alice-ezrin shooting.... that crazy camera is moving and zooming in and out so violently? It sometimes is out of focus! I dont get the NEED to do that instead of JUST leave it still and in one position.

That footage is disappointing. As previously stated, Bob Ezrin addresses this in his segment.

>- The Jagermeister download territory restriction... ridiculous. The same for the elected video clip. Just dont get it.

There's always a reason, even if you don't know what it is.

>Im buying another one just to keep it sealed.

That's amazing! Thanks.

tommystooge
Killer
Killer

Post by tommystooge » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:05 pm

>- The alice-ezrin shooting.... that crazy camera is moving and zooming in and out so violently? It sometimes is out of focus! I dont get the NEED to do that instead of JUST leave it still and in one position.

That footage is disappointing. As previously stated, Bob Ezrin addresses this in his segment..[/quote]

Andy, I'm justI curious who shot the interview with Alice and Bob. I know it was rushed and obviously was someone recruited at the last minute?
Remember The Coop !!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

>I'm justI curious who shot the interview with Alice and Bob.

I don't know.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm

It was J.J. Abrams.
Me = Winning

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Sorry to dispute that WYM, but I know for a fact that Quentin Tarantino directed that segment. I believe the actual camera work was done by Charlie Sheen.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:28 pm

GNDM wrote:Sorry to dispute that WYM, but I know for a fact that Quentin Tarantino directed that segment. I believe the actual camera work was done by Charlie Sheen.
That WOULD explain a lot!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Charlie's Camera Work = Not Winning.
Me = Winning