Pretties for You vinyl question

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperkill
Trash
Trash

Pretties for You vinyl question

Post by cooperkill » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:33 pm

I finally got Pretties for You on vinyl, but can't figure out if the version I have is the first pressing or what.

Details:

It's on the Straight label, not Warner, with the pinkish Straight sticker on the album. It's a gatefold. There's no barcode. The # is STS1051. There's a white sticker placed over the woman's panties.

I checked this site for details, but everything I listed is broken up over separate releases. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Pretties for You vinyl question

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

When you say "pinkish sticker" is that refering to the pink Straight label on the record? If it is, then it sounds like the second issue. I have the same one, Pink Straight label, sticker over the woman's underwear (don't make the same mistake I did and remove the sticker!!)

1st issue - Orange Straight label with STRAIGHT in purple
2nd issue - Pink label with multiple STRAIGHT text in white/black/orange/yellow
3rd WB green label
4th WB Burbank
don't think there was an eighties WB pressing of PFY

Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica came out in June of 1969 and it's 1st issue is on the Pink Straight label, so if PFY was indeed released March of '69, then it was manufactured with the orange Straight label for only 3-4 months. Since the 1st edition of LITD was on the pink Straight label, your PFY issue date has a window between June 1969 and sometime February/March of 1971.

Maybe someone has info on matrix #'s and such and can narrow it down further.

Does the inner sleeve come with the 1st Amendment quote and a freaky looking FZ and Herb Cohen?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 pm

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/albums/a-pfy.php

I'd start here if you haven't already.

cooperkill
Trash
Trash

Post by cooperkill » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:02 pm

pitkin88 wrote:http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/albums/a-pfy.php

I'd start here if you haven't already.
I did start there, but was confused by some dates and details. For example, the sticker over the panties is marked under a later issue, yet there's a quote by Brian Nelson somewhere saying that the earliest pressings had the sticker, which threw me off.
Last edited by cooperkill on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooperkill
Trash
Trash

Post by cooperkill » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:When you say "pinkish sticker" is that refering to the pink Straight label on the record? If it is, then it sounds like the second issue. I have the same one, Pink Straight label, sticker over the woman's underwear (don't make the same mistake I did and remove the sticker!!)

1st issue - Orange Straight label with STRAIGHT in purple
2nd issue - Pink label with multiple STRAIGHT text in white/black/orange/yellow
3rd WB green label
4th WB Burbank
don't think there was an eighties WB pressing of PFY
Looks like I have the second issue. And no worries about removing the sticker. It's been on for 40+ years and looks as though it couldn't be removed.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 am

My pink label PFY is my most prized vinyl I have. Not because it's the most rare or valuable - it's not, but it was the most hard sought after piece of wax I ever searched for and then acquired. I wouldn't part with it even if someone offered me 5 times its' going rate.

cooperkill
Trash
Trash

Post by cooperkill » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:31 am

Toronto Bob wrote:My pink label PFY is my most prized vinyl I have. Not because it's the most rare or valuable - it's not, but it was the most hard sought after piece of wax I ever searched for and then acquired. I wouldn't part with it even if someone offered me 5 times its' going rate.
Why is that? Is the 2nd pressing harder to come by than the first? I bought mine as an eBay fluke. Somebody sold it for $15 because they picked up a bunch of albums at a garage sale and admitted they weren't sure what they had.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 am

>Is the 2nd pressing harder to come by than the first?

If it is, then it might be because less copies were made with the 'pink' label, because by that point, it was obvious the album wasn't going to be a success.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Are there any sales figures for what it sold? I seem to remember 10,000 or so upon its release but I could be way off. Also anyone know what the worst selling album was? Solo or band? I'd guess
Da Da as it had ZERO promotion.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm

cooperkill wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:My pink label PFY is my most prized vinyl I have. Not because it's the most rare or valuable - it's not, but it was the most hard sought after piece of wax I ever searched for and then acquired. I wouldn't part with it even if someone offered me 5 times its' going rate.
Why is that? Is the 2nd pressing harder to come by than the first? I bought mine as an eBay fluke. Somebody sold it for $15 because they picked up a bunch of albums at a garage sale and admitted they weren't sure what they had.
I don't know - I'm suggesting my 2nd issue (like yours) is NOT more valuable. I'm assuming the first issue is the more valuable of the two, as 1st issues tend to be more valuable of any title. As well, the Orange/Yellow label was avaiable for a shorter time - but I really don't know for sure.

As for how many units PFY initially sold? I dunno, but I bet much of what they sold was due to the Zappa connection.

Dada is a good guess for least units sold but my guess (hope) is it's Dirty Diamonds. Between the record industry's decline and the album being so awful, it deserves to be.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:52 pm

DD would have made a good ep is about the best thing I can say about it. Still better than ACAS
though.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:14 pm

pitkin88 wrote:DD would have made a good ep is about the best thing I can say about it. Still better than ACAS
though.
Yeah, take the best cuts from both and make an OK 35 minute album

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Not because it's the most rare or valuable - it's not, but it was the most hard sought after piece of wax I ever searched for and then acquired.
I have the same feeling about my copy. Once I finally got it after years of searching I treated it like absolute gold. Not because of the value (or lack of... or whatever) but because it was one of those Coop things that was so elusive in my area.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:00 pm

A friend and I were looking for Pretties For You back in 75 or so. Certainly wasn't easy to come by.
We were told it was in a record store in Birkenhead which meant taking a bus and a train. We got there and of course the store was closed. As we were leaving a passerby said the owner lives above the store if you yell he will come down. This we did and his head popped out of the window and he duly came down opened the door and we got the vinyl ( my friend did as I didn't have the cash.

If anyone has a bigger score than how I got my copy plus I'd love to hear it. I was known where I lived as being a rabid Alice Cooper fan. There was a knock on the door one day and a long haired kid siad he had some Alice Cooper lps and wanted to know if I'd like to buy them. He had Pretties For You, Easy Action and Paracidal Slumbers. I said I could give him the price of a normal lp for each one ( I believe it was two pounds fifty pence an album ) which he agreed to. I ran into the backroom and pleaded with my mother that this was a great deal. Thankfully she agreed.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I swapped a Jimi Hendrix bootleg for it. Remember getting the Schooldays comp in 73 and being shocked how different Alice Cooper sounded in his early days, but even though PFY isn't as good as Easy Action there are some gems on there, Sing Low Sweet Cheerio is the standout track for me.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV