Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Re: Ernie Cefalu

Post by In Chick » Tue May 24, 2011 12:53 am

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello In Chick"

Sorry that it has taken me quite some time to get back here to respond to your comment
it's been really busy lately. I am so glad that you like the images and the creative process. Also thank you for commenting, I really do love hearing what you and the rest of the "SICKTHINGS UK Gang" have to say, especially now that I am into the "Welcome 2" ideation and packaging. - Ernie
Hi Ernie, can't wait to see the rest of your work. By the way, I just love that eye in the ink well. I know it will be used for the ''Old school'' box set, but it would have been great for a sequel of the ''School's out'' album. The eye in the desk watching the students in the class, watching each one of them, the jock, the popular girl, the geek, the weirdo at the back of the class, even the teacher. Each one of them could have a song written for them and their human behavior. Anyway, I will leave that to writers, artists like you and Alice, just a though. Keep up the great work!

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Tue May 24, 2011 8:35 am

"Hello In Chick"

I am truly pleased that you liked the eye ball as it really was something that I was going to do on the original "School's Out" cover but as fate was to have its way it wasn't to be., but cut to 40 years later and well as they say... "the rest is history!"

If you are interested here is a snip-it from a "Back Story" that I wrote that tell the story of what happened back in 1971:

"From the beginning, we were truly on our own and had no jobs in-house, so I started designing stuff and Tony would pitch it to the bands. We were awarded the next Cheech & Chong LP - Big Bambu, and Alice Cooper's School’s Out album, but these were to become the last two albums that I'd do for Craig and Concept Packaging. I started sketches on both in New York, and finished the tight comps in Los Angeles, where the first were presented to Lou Adler and Cheech & Chong (see below), and the second to Alice Cooper and Shep Gordon. However, three months in, Craig's actions had me fed up and ready to go out the door."

If I have captured your interest and you have come this far you might want to go just a bit further so here is the entire "Back Story" link: http://bit.ly/aJAwyQ
I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did in writing it - Ernie

In Chick
Killer
Killer

Post by In Chick » Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Yeah, it wasn't to be, too bad, it would have been great, that eye, on the original ''School's Out'' album. Thanks for your explanations.

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat May 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello AliceFan"

As far as I know the release date has not changed. As for the "W2MN" sketches I am certain that like the "Old School" Box Set, I won't be able to have Si post anything until the album is released. But I will be supplying more images and ideation sketches from "Old School" as you all will allow me to. Thank you for your concern and comment, I will let you know as I can. - Ernie
Ernie, I was wondering when will the actual Artwork for the new album be done? not the sketches. The cover that goes on the cd I mean. Wondering cause also wanted to know how long it takes to draw up artwork? Thanks again.

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sun May 29, 2011 3:47 am

"Hello AliceFan"
That's a great question. i am in the submitting ideation sketches at this point and once we have a direction agreed upon it takes a week or two depending how involved the finish is and who's doing it. Thank you and I hope that I have shed some light. - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 am

Here is a piece I just wrote about my Drew Struzan originals, of which "Welcome To My Nightmare" is one of, I hope that you enjoy it. Thank you - Ernie

Waiting For The World...

Drew May Own More Struzan Originals Than I Do…

But I have most all of his early professional pieces, so what’s in my collection is even more valuable than his movie posters. Bold statement, I don’t think so, and here’s why… First and foremost, there we’re fewer album covers and corporate pieces done, only around eighty-five in all. Second, my collected works uniquely encompasses not “just more Struzan pieces” but rather a rare body of his early work, starting in 1972 through 1976. Each and every one of them looks like they were just taken from his easel, and haven’t seen the light of day until now.

70-signed originals stored away for over 40 years. These early works of art, when fitted together like the pieces of a huge illustrated historical art puzzle, visually track the evolution of Drew’s unmistakable, iconic style, starting with its basic core beginnings.

Each of the seventy works document his career while providing an exciting journey as he went from a very exceptional figure painter, and fine artist in college, to being exposed to illustrators for the first time that assisted him in shaping, blending and perfecting the style that was destined to make him today’s, number one, most in demand, sought after and iconic collected, movie poster illustrator of all time.

Now It’s Time To WAKE UP WORLD… And See The Value!
But don’t just take my word for it, let’s listen to what others have been saying for the last 30 years:

“In my Opinion Drew Struzan is the only collectable artist since the second World War.” – George Lucas

“Drew Struzan is my favorite movie poster artist ever.” - Steven Speilberg

“Drew Struzan is the greatest poster artist of our time.” - The Boston Globe

Did you know that it took well over 30 years before all Norman Rockwell’s works became valuable to millions of avid collectors around the world? That’s right at first it was just his iconic “Saturday Evening Post” Magazine covers that collectors coveted, but once those were all owned eyes immediately turned to the rest of his works.

It didn’t matter whether Rockwell painted a Saturday Evening Post Magazine cover, a Kellogg’s cereal ad or a Boy Scout calendar it’s still a Rockwell, which means extremely valuable and highly collectable! With the ability to have the insight and awareness of history that others don’t have yet, your vision and gut are able to see and feel now, what others do eventually, its both a blessing and a curse.

Seems like I have spent a lifetime waiting and nNow I find myself… waiting once again for the world to wake up and catch up! Waiting for them to understand that Drew Struzan just like Norman Rockwell, J.C. Leyendecker, Cole Philips, Andrew Wyeth, and Maxfield Parrish… is a very famous and highly collectable artist, with a body of work that spans over four decades. Drew Struzan’s awareness, popularity and mass demand is greatly due to the power and global reach of the motion picture industry, the Internet and the productivity of Struzan the artist. So just like his predecessors no matter whether it’s a movie poster, an album cover or a corporate ad it’s still a Struzan!

There are some visual aids that help make this point at"

www.originalalbumcoverart.com

I have posted a few more visual examples from both Struzan and Rockwell This is a current ad that Kellogg’s is running, and I am certain that its part of a much bigger campaign (see their tag line under the box).It has sparked a desire in me that I have been building on, and formulating” for quite some time now. I want to post these images accompanied with a short story on how I have spent the better part of my career… “Waiting For The World To Change!” In the 1950’s, I was growing up in the sleepy farming town of San Jose California. It was so American and innocent, Norman Rockwell could have illustrated my youth.

In junior high school my 8th grade class went on a field trip to a very prestigious gallery in San Francisco where there were two Norman Rockwell original “Saturday Evening Post” magazine covers for sale. The first one was $15,000.00 and the other was a more memorable piece and it was $30,000.00. Now remember this was in 1956 so in 2007 according to Antique Collector Magazine that same exact cover that I had seen in 1958 for $30,000 had sold for a whopping $15,400,000.00!

With global awareness Drew's movie posters are a no brainier.
What makes the Struzan pieces in my collection of album covers and corporate pieces is that there are even fewer are even more valuable and covers, he produced only a hand full (of which 99% were done for my company Pacific eye & Ear) compared to over two decades worth of movie posters, some where north of 185 posters. These pieces like all famous artists works are generational wealth for investors especially in today’s unstable finical world. That’s why I can only hope that it…

WON’T TAKE THE WORLD ANOTHER 30 YEARS… TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!

- Ernie Cefalu

Tagged with: Andrew Wyeth, Cole Philips, Drew Struzan, ernie cefalu, J.C. Leyendecker, Norman Rockwell

Roxanne
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Roxanne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 am

Hello Ernie,
I can't wait to see the cover of the Nightmare 2! I'm sure it will be fantastic!
"But if you talk in the movies I'll kill you right there"

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Ernie,

great read and again GREAT work on the box. :clap:

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:19 am

"Hello Roxanne"
Thank you for your strong and positive feelings concerning the new "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" album cover. I can not say much but... I can tell you this much, this cover has to be the best cover that I, or any other designer has ever done for Alice Cooper because this album musically, is the best Alice has ever done! And that's all I'll say... about that! - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 am

"Hello mestreech"

I am so glad that you enjoyed the story, I am not really a writer but I have been blessed with the ability to find the words, (not always spelled correctly) to tell my story. I guess that's mainly because I am living it, its the truth and believe me, that always makes it so much easier. Thank you again for leaving your comment. - Ernie

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 am

Great to hear from you again Ernie. Great link about Drew Struzan, he is definitely one of the greats. I know we're all excited to see the new album cover.
Me = Winning

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Ernie, I really can't thank you enough for all the stories and information about your work as well as the updates and comments about Welcome 2 My Nightmare. The best part about a new album being released is the anticipation (well other then listening to the album) and I can honestly say that because of the positive comments about the music/album cover as well as the fact it's a sequel to one of my favorite albums ever, I am looking forward to this album more then any other album ever.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:53 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello Roxanne"
Thank you for your strong and positive feelings concerning the new "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" album cover. I can not say much but... I can tell you this much, this cover has to be the best cover that I, or any other designer has ever done for Alice Cooper because this album musically, is the best Alice has ever done! And that's all I'll say... about that! - Ernie
now that is some statement, a lot of us believe this really will be something special with the old school being involved Welcome 2 My Nightmare is going to be an Alice fans dream I just know it
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:49 pm

The anticipation..to see the cover and hear thye album is really getting to me :bam:
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:05 pm

"Wow... The Reviews Are In!!"

This is great news, thank you Andy. It looks like everyone's hard work has paid off!! thank you all for allowing me to be a part of something so monumental I am both honored and humbled. - Ernie

This is truly a great box-set. It looks and feels luxorious. The content of the DVD and the CD:s is something I´ve longed for since starting listening to Alice Cooper. I just want to say a big thank you to everone involved in realizing this collection. (Sweden).

I can see that an amazing amount of work has gone into producing the box set in a very short time, and everyone involved in bringing this together should take a bow -
You've all done a fantastic job and should be very proud of the results. (England).

It's beautiful. A fantastic creation and well worth the money to me. (England).

to anyone involved in putting together this box set, you all have done awesome work indeed. nice job! (USA).

My Box Set was just delivered by FedEx. Looks fantastic! (USA).

I got my copy today. Absolutely fantastic piece of work! BIG thanks to everybody who made this dream box come true! (Finland).
wow...absolutely amazing detail...can't wait to sit down and truly enjoy all of the labor put into it....no golden ticket....listening to the St. Louis vinyl right now...sounds amazing... (USA).
I have now in my hands the Old School desk. All I can say is wow! (Australia).
I got mine today!!! We got in 5 copies at the record store that I manage and all 5 sold! We buy direct from Bigger Pictures distributor and they are now sold out too. So if you have the chance to buy one, get it! 

What do I think of it??? I absolutely love it! The packaging and selections are fantastic. Just finished the book and I'm getting ready to watch the DVD. What a great job by everyone involved putting this set together! Well worth it, in my opinion! Cheers! (USA).
The packaging is amazing. The whole desktop box with the hinges just makes this extra special. I am real pleased with the "yearbook" and all the prints. I wasn't too sure about how necessary the vinyl bootleg and the 45 were. But they're definitely cool now that I have them in my hands.
Got mine today, and the layout and look is just awesome. I will really enjoy this and feel it is worth every penny. That said, definitely a set for hard core fans, and I am happy they made it that way. Even the pics, most not rare, seem to be in better quality
I do agree that it isn't full of tons of rarities, but the fans who are spending this type of money probably have about everything that is out there fit to be put on cd. (USA)

the Alice Cooper Old School 1964-74 boxset has arrived I'm looking in awe at this work of art! (UK).
Well at the moment I'm listening to the first CD, the book is brilliant and very well put together. I love all the artwork. (Ireland).
absolutley loving disc one, thanks to all the guys that contributed, too this awesome box set, (UK).
In there own words very interesting. Gotta sat really love this set. Hope to see some more down the Line. (USA).
just watched the dvd fab. (UK).

This is a must of course for hard core Alice fans and being one I had to get it and will keep it but it is overpriced and overrated. Too much paper and not enough vinyl, CDs and DVDs. I really don't care about the replicas of the ticket, posters and other stuff. The book is good but I need to look at it more. I did want to post this as an advisory to those considering purchasing this. For Hard Hearted Alice Fans Only!!!
Just received my box set and I have to say this is the most unique box set I've ever owned. The box itself is quite large as it has to fit a 12 inch record and have room on either side. It is essentially a school desk full of Alice goodies. The cd's are full of early Alice that simply hasn't been released before, some really cool early (pretties for you / easy action) live stuff and interesting demos of the classics. I have not had a chance to view the DVD yet either, but listened to both records and 3 discs. What I was impressed with was the vinyl SOUNDS GREAT. I wasn't expecting the 7 inch in particular to be pressed on 180 gram vinyl, but am certainly glad it was. The "bootleg" 12 inch reproduced faithfully with a blank white label and glued on cover on the white sleeve, just like you used to find back in the day with bootlegs. Pretty neat touch, actually, but this record sounds much better as the sound appears to have been cleaned up and it has been pressed on heavy vinyl. 

The book I thought was really well done, and is a hardcover "year book" just like we got back in our school days. The folder with the art prints/concert ticket replica, etc. are well done, but I would agree the "ticket" and reproduction set list was printed cheaply. All the other items included I felt are of high quality and don't feel the paperstock was thin or anything. (USA).

everything i ever wanted. 1st saw AC when i was 14 ('77) at the St Louis arena. how cool is it the bootleg is from a StL show in '72? This thing is awesome. I'm watching the DVD now. just got here via Fed Ex 25 minutes ago. walk, no; RUN to get this if yer as crazy over AC as I am, and always has been. just awesome.... (USA).

Street Schizo
Killer
Killer

Post by Street Schizo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Ernie,
In terms of packaging and artwork this may be the single coolest band related item that I own. I can't think of one other item I have bought over the past 30 years that can compete with this. You outdid yourself. I can't remember the last time I spent this much time staring at something. I'm just blown away. My six year old thinks it's awesome as well. Now I got to find away to keep his hands off. Can't wait for WTMN II.

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 am

"Hello Street Schizo"

I am so very pleased that you not only like what you see, but took the time to comment on your feelings. I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I am both honored and humbled by your wonderful words. The new "W2MN" package is gonna be "Sweet" It will be my 11th album for Alice and my 212 album cover all toll. Everyone loves the concept, "Look & Feel" so we are in the going to finals on everything. - Ernie

P.S. I have passed your comment along to the entire team including Alice.
Last edited by Ernie Cefalu on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:16 am

"Hey Steven 15322"

Glad to hear that you are looking forward to the new "W2MN" album and I assure you it is so worth waiting for!!!! - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 am

"Hello steven_crayn"

When I stop for a moment and focus on the music I have heard, the professional level of all the people involved and the art that we are creating that your feelings are well fueled... in the truth! - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:31 am

"Hey HORRORHOLIC"

Like I just said to steven_cray, the album is so good, that I assure you... its well worth the wait! - Ernie