Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Re: Ernie Cefalu

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 am

"Hello mestreech"

and thank you so much for the "Standing Novation" its greatly appreciated, I assure you! - Ernie

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 am

Ernie, Is the Album Artwork done Yet for "Welcome 2 My Nightmare" Would like to know. Can you let me know when the album artwork will be unveiled? Thanks.

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

"Hello "AliceFan"

thank you for commenting. The new "Welcome Two My Nightmare" album artwork is still in the ideation stages, but I will keep you posted with as much or little information that I am allowed to reveal... as we move forward. - Ernie

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello "AliceFan"

thank you for commenting. The new "Welcome Two My Nightmare" album artwork is still in the ideation stages, but I will keep you posted with as much or little information that I am allowed to reveal... as we move forward. - Ernie
Ernie, I hope the artwork that you creat for W2MN album we be scary looking ,something that resembles a nightmare. Unlike the original Nightmare album which wasn't scary looking it didn't really fit with what the album is about. Not being critical towards your work just an opinion.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 am

AliceFan wrote:
Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello "AliceFan"

Ernie, I hope the artwork that you creat for W2MN album we be scary looking ,something that resembles a nightmare. Unlike the original Nightmare album which wasn't scary looking it didn't really fit with what the album is about. Not being critical towards your work just an opinion.
I totally disagree, i LOVED the original artwork as it really captured the theatricality and granduer of the album and respective show.

Also, it would seem a little silly to deviate from the original seeing as this is a sequel. I'm sure they'll want to keep some continuity with this release.

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 am

I agree i loved the art work for the original. One of the best album covers of all time in my opinion. I would hope that the art work for part two has a similar theme.
Boomshanka

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:09 am

I was never enthralled with the original WtMN artwork, although it now has somewhat iconic status. I really didn't think the bugs quite gave a suitalbe nightmarish quality. I also didn't care for the lack of make up.
Nevertheless, I think it is unimaginable, that this "sequel" will not pay homage to the original with the artwork.

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey guys check it out!

Bob Ezrin is speaking about the "Box Set!" Very Cool! - Ernie

http://www.youtube.com/user/officialalicecooper

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:58 pm

"From A Caterpillar To A Butterfly"

Hey Guys, Here is something that you might enjoy, as much as I certainly did. I will be posting some of my logo ideation sketches from this new "Box Set" album for Alice, so that you will see it's evolution from start to finish. Thank you all again for allowing me this place in your space. - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:37 pm

"Hello PainAddict"

So sorry to hear that you were not happy with the original "Welcome To My Nightmare" cover. I guess that as individuals, we each have our own opinions as to what we would consider nightmares.

I remember when we we're going through the rough tapes and concept ideation with Alice, Shep, and myself, and we all agreed that Alice's was to be the "Ring Master" of a three ring circus. In doing my research on nightmares I found out that the number one thing that people have bad dreams about is "BUGS!"

So it seemed only right that what you would see on the surface is a normal, friendly, good looking Alice (sans make-up), welcoming you in an extremely innocent, non threatening manner (which bye the way is 99.9% of how all nightmares start), surrounded by pretty pastel bugs all in a uniform pattern, not scampering in a frenzy but... Very Friendly indeed.

In this case, the cover must be the first of a one two punch, that catches the viewer eye off-guard as one thing, but then quickly turns into exact the opposite... in your dreams. I would have to say that in my humble opinion... we nailed it!

As for the new album, all I can say at this stage is that musically and visually this bye far will, over shadow all his albums, as the best ever. It will surprise everyone, gain tons of new fans while totally and completely pleasing the faithful. It will be his biggest and most successful albums of all. - Ernie

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:42 pm

"Thank You James 1981"

For your very kind words of encouragement. I am not certain if you know this but Rolling Stone Magazine named the "Welcome To My nightmare' album as one of the "Top 100 Album Covers Of All Time" and I had 4 covers in that top 100.

- Ernie

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Ernie ,
I've been meaning to start posting on SICKTHINGS for a long time now, as i've been reading it every day for years ......So I cannot think of a better first post than to say thanks to you for all the work you have done with Alice all these years ....Those sleeves should be hanging in an art gallery ...I've been looking at the WTMN sleeve since '75 , and still cannot think of a better album cover ..it fits the music 100% ...Your comments on WTMN2 are very encouraging ...cannot wait for both the music ....and the sleeve !!!
I'm looking forward to getting "OLD SCHOOL" as the work you guys have done looks incredible !
I'ts nice to be able to say thanks to someone who has given me so much pleasure - I was a 14yr old kid in '72 ,and my jaw dropped when I realised the desk OPENED on my new album ...40yrs later and I still get a kick out of your amazing work !!
Thanks again
Alan

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:00 am

Yes,you did "nail it" theres no doubt about that!!,thx for expounding on the nightmare ideation concept process.(it makes sense)One of the most classic covers from that era.,instantly recognizable to the casual rock fan.

I hope you have "nailed it" again as far as the Nightmare 2 goes and everything that will entail.With people like u and Bob at the helm,(among others) it augers well a 2nd golden phase of Alice's career.

Should be a very cool cover then,keep up the great work!!!!
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:00 am

Yes,you did "nail it" theres no doubt about that!!,thx for expounding on the nightmare ideation concept process.(it makes sense)One of the most classic covers from that era.,instantly recognizable to the casual rock fan.

I hope you have "nailed it" again as far as the Nightmare 2 goes and everything that will entail.With people like u and Bob at the helm,(among others) it augers well a 2nd golden phase of Alice's career.

Should be a very cool cover then,keep up the great work!!!!
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:49 am

The following is a question that my dear friend Julie asked me on "facebook" about the new "Box Set" and my answer:

Hey Ernie, it must be a thrill for Bob, Shep and Alice to be working withsome of Ernie's calibre. The best seek out the best.

Thank you Julie, I really am humbled by your words. I also want to share something that happened just a month or so ago. I was meeting with Alice and Bob in the studio to further discuss the "box set" concept, and at that time we we're calling the set "School Daze."

So I had already had come up with a "look & feel" based on a snake like worm wrapped around a nice shinny red apple, with a bite out of it. Just because that is what Alice would do, in presenting the teacher with a bite taken out of an apple with a worm in it! It is the Alice Cooper attitude. When I showed the sketch both Alice and Bob loved it and they also told me that the title had been changed to "Old School."

We all agreed that it didn't change the graphic, it was great! Then Alice said you know what Ernie, "when we we're in school we we're the Bad Boys the rotten apples... so make the apple more rotten." Not only did I make it half rotten I added the sexual undertones as well. And the rest as they say is "Rock N' Roll History!

Now, what I was really getting at is when I was leaving the meeting Alice hugged me and said that it was great working together again and how much he had missed the value that i had always added." I turned and looked at Bob and he just nodded and grinned. I will remember and cherish that for the rest of my life. Wow what a rush!!! - Ernie

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:15 am

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"From A Caterpillar To A Butterfly"

Hey Guys, Here is something that you might enjoy, as much as I certainly did. I will be posting some of my logo ideation sketches from this new "Box Set" album for Alice, so that you will see it's evolution from start to finish. Thank you all again for allowing me this place in your space. - Ernie
Hi Ernie,

when will you post this ??

eric

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:47 am

"Hello mestreech"
I plan on posting them the first part of next week, complete with a description of what you will be looking at, so please stay tuned. - Ernie

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Ernie Cefalu wrote:"Hello PainAddict"

So sorry to hear that you were not happy with the original "Welcome To My Nightmare" cover. I guess that as individuals, we each have our own opinions as to what we would consider nightmares.

I remember when we we're going through the rough tapes and concept ideation with Alice, Shep, and myself, and we all agreed that Alice's was to be the "Ring Master" of a three ring circus. In doing my research on nightmares I found out that the number one thing that people have bad dreams about is "BUGS!"

So it seemed only right that what you would see on the surface is a normal, friendly, good looking Alice (sans make-up), welcoming you in an extremely innocent, non threatening manner (which bye the way is 99.9% of how all nightmares start), surrounded by pretty pastel bugs all in a uniform pattern, not scampering in a frenzy but... Very Friendly indeed.

In this case, the cover must be the first of a one two punch, that catches the viewer eye off-guard as one thing, but then quickly turns into exact the opposite... in your dreams. I would have to say that in my humble opinion... we nailed it!

As for the new album, all I can say at this stage is that musically and visually this bye far will, over shadow all his albums, as the best ever. It will surprise everyone, gain tons of new fans while totally and completely pleasing the faithful. It will be his biggest and most successful albums of all. - Ernie
Wow! Ernie that is great exciting news about the new album. Biggest and most successful album how do you know that already when its not even out yet? So you must have heard the album right? Is the sound on the album 70's sound with a modern edge or just almost like the original Nightmare album?

Ernie Cefalu
Killer
Killer

Post by Ernie Cefalu » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 am

"Hello AliceFan"

I have been in the music business since 1970 and a heavy music fan since I bought my first 45 at the age of 12. I have been a devout Alice Cooper fan since 1970 , and now at 66 if there is one thing that I can do as well, if not better than art..., its knowing a hit song when I hear it, and I heard it again and again song after shocking, amazing song in the studio last week!!

This is my opinion, and i can say without equivocation that time will prove what I say is true. I was completely and totally "Blown Away!" After experiencing it I now have had the bar raised to heights that I have never hit before, but I am bringing my "A+++" game to this of a concept and cover in hopes that I can best present Alice's masterpiece! I believe this to be true with every fiber and creative bone in my body! - Ernie
Last edited by Ernie Cefalu on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:19 am

Hi Ernie,
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your work and I think you nailed it on the head with this comment"

"I remember when we we're going through the rough tapes and concept ideation with Alice, Shep, and myself, and we all agreed that Alice's was to be the "Ring Master" of a three ring circus."

It definitely felt like Alice was there as a presenter of the nightmare. When his previous incarnation, he was the nightmare (chopping up babies, loving the dead, etc.). However, in this scenario he was, as Steven, the victim. To young teenager I was at the time, it was a bit of a let down. Nevertheless, as I said it has now reached iconic status, so I would definitely expect the new one to pay homage to it.