Dada God

Re: Can I borrow some makeup?

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 am

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 am

Havent seen the lord sutch cover b4, pray tell us what year did it come out? (I hope you are not thinking that either Lord Sutch or Arthur Brown pinched make up ideas from the other.. lol)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:26 am

I think that Sutch picture was circa 1974.
Whilst Cooper MAY have been a little influenced by Sutch, I think in this particular photo-shoot, it may well have been the other way around - particularly make-up wise.

http://www.angel.dk/lordsutch/LordSutchColH_06A.html

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:01 pm

>Whilst Cooper MAY have been a little influenced by Sutch

This has been prevciously discussed almost endlessly here. It is almost certain that there was no influence.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 pm

It is almost certain that there was no influence.
I find that a little hard to believe, but possible I suppose.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:20 pm

interesting in the latest record collector article that Alice mentions that he found out he had the same make up as Arthur Brown

Kerrang! once printed a letter from Vincent Crane (keyboard player with The Crazy World of Arthur Brown) and a picture of Arthur in 60s make up in response to a comment by Alice about Guns n Roses and top hats and snakes in one of their videos

http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?site=i ... &sa=N#i=10
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Gunner wrote:
It is almost certain that there was no influence.
I find that a little hard to believe, but possible I suppose.
Alice states in the latest record collector article that not only had he not heard of Sutch or the man that came before Screaming Jay Hawkins.

He also said in the same article that Arthur Brown whose vocal style he thought was great wasn't an influence however but was more influenced by an old American horror guy called Zachary
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm

>I find that a little hard to believe, but possible I suppose.

Sutch was almost totally uknown in America so for Alice to have been aware of him would have been difficult.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

What? Even though they were both on the same Toronto Rock and Roll Revival Show 1969??? It's an insult to our intelligence.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Gunner wrote:What? Even though they were both on the same Toronto Rock and Roll Revival Show 1969??? It's an insult to our intelligence.
Alice was on the same bill as The Enid Reading 87 do you think he had heard of them either?

what are you saying that Alice is a liar?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Gunner wrote:What? Even though they were both on the same Toronto Rock and Roll Revival Show 1969??? It's an insult to our intelligence.
I have played many festivals and gigs and rarely get the time to check out all of the other acts.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm

>He also said in the same article that Arthur Brown whose vocal style he thought was great wasn't an influence however but was more influenced by an old American horror guy called Zachary

I would like to think that by now, we all (but especially some of the older members of this board) know who influenced Alice Cooper and who did not.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm

He was influenced by Zacherly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2FD0uCzOdU

I saw Alice at Chiller in April 2010 and Zacherly was there too... he's always there I guess... the guy is like 93 now.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am

Alice was on the same bill as The Enid Reading 87 do you think he had heard of them either?
I was there actually (I think Andy was too), but that's beside the point.
I don't know, but if he was not aware of them during and after the event then it would be
most surprising and actually reflect badly on him as being somewhat dismissive.

The fact of the matter is that MANY people have suggested an influence as being almost definite, the only doubt being that Cooper had never been aware of him - if you believe that, I believe you are niave.
what are you saying that Alice is a liar?
I think the question is; Where can you quote Alice as dismissing Lord Sutch as an influence? And if you can, then I would question it as much as I would question whether one could dismiss Aerosmith were influenced by the Stones. I suggest that you check Sutch videos out - the similarities are beyond the reach of chance I believe.

Sutch was almost totally uknown in America so for Alice to have been aware of him would have been difficult
Not during and after Toronto, it wouldn't at all!

What about Arthur Brown? Not influenced by him either???

culebra
Trash
Trash

Post by culebra » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 am

Another one, Dero of Oomph!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF237iq5X_8

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 am

>I don't know, but if he was not aware of them during and after the event then it would be most surprising and actually reflect badly on him as being somewhat dismissive.

More nonsense. It has nothing to do with being "dismissive". Alice does not have time to watch other artists at a festival.

>The fact of the matter is that MANY people have suggested an influence as being almost definite, the only doubt being that Cooper had never been aware of him - if you believe that, I believe you are niave.

More nonsense. Try and find out how well known Sutch was in America (but that would involve some research).

>I think the question is; Where can you quote Alice as dismissing Lord Sutch as an influence?

"Record Mirror" in 1972 for a start.

> And if you can, then I would question it as much as I would question whether one could dismiss Aerosmith were influenced by the Stones.

Who said they were not?

> I suggest that you check Sutch videos out - the similarities are beyond the reach of chance I believe.

Where would Alice have seen this footage?

>Not during and after Toronto, it wouldn't at all!

Are you saying that Sutch went through a spell of huge public awareness after that event? If so, you are INSANE!

>What about Arthur Brown? Not influenced by him either???

Again, this has been debated endlessly on this board.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:51 am

Gunner wrote:
I don't know, but if he was not aware of them during and after the event then it would be
most surprising and actually reflect badly on him as being somewhat dismissive.
That has to be one of the dumbest things you've said on here. We should award you a prize for raising the bar of 'Gunnerisms'.

What do you think bands do when they play at festivals? Do you think they spend all day in the crowd, drinking and watching the other bands? Do you really think Alice has time to watch all the other bands he shares a bill with?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 pm

There is nothing dumb about what I have said, only dumbness in your inability to understand it and take it out of context.

Andy claimed Alice had never heard of him which I replied to as being unlikely since they were on the same bill once - a very fair comment. You then suggested that an artist on the line-up wouldn't have necessarily have chance to check out the acts. This is true, but we were talking about Alice having HEARD of Lord Sutch, not checking his performance out that day!! Now, for an artist not to KNOW who he is on the bill with is VERY unlikely - and that was my point that your rudely reacted to. That's all it is, you have misunderstood, in your eagerness to be nasty and unpleasant....but that's what I expect here. Some of you just make a bee-line for me.

Back to the point; IT is highly likely that Alice Cooper HAD heard of Sutch prior to entirely copying elements of his act - and having heard of him, it is also a fair assumption to make that he knew that he had blacked out eye-make up, top hat and did horror theatrics.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Andy, you are a very aggressive man.
>I don't know, but if he was not aware of them during and after the event then it would be most surprising and actually reflect badly on him as being somewhat dismissive.

More nonsense. It has nothing to do with being "dismissive". Alice does not have time to watch other artists at a festival.
I never said he watched that performance Andy, you said he headn't heard of him which is damn unlikely since they performed at the same gig ISN'T IT?????
>The fact of the matter is that MANY people have suggested an influence as being almost definite, the only doubt being that Cooper had never been aware of him - if you believe that, I believe you are niave.

More nonsense. Try and find out how well known Sutch was in America (but that would involve some research).
More anger, hatred and downright rudeness and resentment. I don't give a toss if he was unknown in America, alot of musicians knew each other in those days and hung out - you weren't around Andy as much as you seem to think you were.
>I think the question is; Where can you quote Alice as dismissing Lord Sutch as an influence?

"Record Mirror" in 1972 for a start.
Would you care to quote and back up your comments???
> And if you can, then I would question it as much as I would question whether one could dismiss Aerosmith were influenced by the Stones.

Who said they were not?
Nobody, you miss the point time and time and time again, but the influence is almost on a par, albeit in a different manner, that's all. Please understand what you are reading!!
> I suggest that you check Sutch videos out - the similarities are beyond the reach of chance I believe.

Where would Alice have seen this footage?
He likely wouldn't have Andy! I was suggesting that YOU check out the vids for similarities, not that Alice had been watching them - dear Lord help me out!!!!
>Not during and after Toronto, it wouldn't at all!

Are you saying that Sutch went through a spell of huge public awareness after that event? If so, you are INSANE!
Quote taken out of context (as usual to twist the matter), the context that was in was; ALICE would/could well have heard of him during that gig and of course afterwards - because once you've herad of someone - guess what? you've still heard of them!!???? I never suggested ANYTHING about the popularity of Sutch or how much of Sutch Cooper may have seen.

I'm not insane but you are a very angry man, and some of you people here are VERY rude and aggressive.
>What about Arthur Brown? Not influenced by him either???

Again, this has been debated endlessly on this board.
And no doubt you have trampled on everybody with your 'I know it all' stance!!????
Last edited by Gunner on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.