The Man With The Golden Gun

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

The Man With The Golden Gun

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 pm

If TMWTGG had been chosen for the James Bond theme, would Alice be playing it now and would it have made MOL sell better?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Man With The Golden Gun

Post by Gunner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm

Good questions. Erm, I think it would have increased sales in MOL and possiblt others. I also think it would have been played live since as a result. So, yes to both questions, but not significantly in both cases.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:14 pm

>If TMWTGG had been chosen for the James Bond theme, would Alice be playing it now and would it have made MOL sell better?

That might have depended on whether it would have been a big hit or not.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Good point.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Ill go along with increased sales , bit of bond could nt hurt any .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:>If TMWTGG had been chosen for the James Bond theme, would Alice be playing it now and would it have made MOL sell better?

That might have depended on whether it would have been a big hit or not.
I think that would have happened anyway, still a big hit with me. :blues:

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 pm

I think an increase in sales for MoL, to what degree would depend on it success as a single. However, I think just having it in the movie would have made it more likely to show up on stage at some point over the years, even if in an abridged form.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 pm

To be honest it pales in comparison with some of the Bond classics. Now if they had Shirley Bassey singing instead of Alice...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:19 pm

I think the song has that classic Bond urgency to it. The cascading trumpet portions are top shelf. The ending alone, from 3:19 on makes the song right there.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 am

I think an increase in sales for MoL, to what degree would depend on it success as a single.
I disagree actually, I think the fact that it is indeed a theme tune for Bond would negate the need for it to be 'a hit' on the charts. The movie alone could generate an in interest in the album and artist for that matter.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:52 am

that would be a tough song to duplicate on stage.great track though-maybe reworked,alice could try it sometime,I hope. :rock:

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Anyone know why it wasn't chosen for the film? I read somewhere that the producers of the film 'chickened out' :alice: .

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm

MovieDemon
Trash
Trash

Post by MovieDemon » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:54 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:If TMWTGG had been chosen for the James Bond theme, would Alice be playing it now and would it have made MOL sell better?

I do think that Alice's song SHOULD HAVE been used. The version they did use by LuLu was terrible.

That said, I don't think there would have been a significant increase of sales for MOL. Mainly because "The Man with the Golden Gun" movie was - and still is - one of the least seen Bond films. In fact, the film only earned $20.9 million at the U.S. box office, and it is generally viewed as one of the worst Bond films ever made.

nephtis
Trash
Trash

Post by nephtis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

I don't know about sales, but it seems likely that being featured in a James Bond movie it might have raised the interest in the album outside the usual target group.

Hell, even I bought a CD by Garbage after I'd heard "The world is not enough", so it really works.

But to be honest, I'm not surprised they didn't use it.

And it's not the fact that I don't like it all that much (or that I do like Lulu's version and I'm not afraid to admit it), but if I had been in charge of making the desicion which song to use, I'd have hated an arrogant brat trying to blackmail me into doing it his way.

See what you can do with a song of that title on an album that did *not* make it into the movie, that'll teach you...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:59 pm

nephtis wrote:I don't know about sales, but it seems likely that being featured in a James Bond movie it might have raised the interest in the album outside the usual target group.

Hell, even I bought a CD by Garbage after I'd heard "The world is not enough", so it really works.

But to be honest, I'm not surprised they didn't use it.

And it's not the fact that I don't like it all that much (or that I do like Lulu's version and I'm not afraid to admit it), but if I had been in charge of making the desicion which song to use, I'd have hated an arrogant brat trying to blackmail me into doing it his way.

See what you can do with a song of that title on an album that did *not* make it into the movie, that'll teach you...

Who is the " arrogant brat "?

nephtis
Trash
Trash

Post by nephtis » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 am

Zero'd in on that, didn't you? :grin:
I like Alice as much as the next guy (or girl), but come on, he has an enormous ego (not that I'd blame him).
Ok, could have been anyone in the group back then but the way the story is told, it *sounds* like it's Alice's brainchild. Though I wouldn't put it past Shep to mention the idea and see if the group picked it up...

And this stunt would have been brilliant if it had worked but would also have set a bad example for the James Bond movies.
Had it worked once, everytime a new movie was announced you'd have dozends of songs with the same title. :guntohead:

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 pm

> he has an enormous ego (not that I'd blame him).

Really? You must know him better than anyone on this board.

>it *sounds* like it's Alice's brainchild. Though I wouldn't put it past Shep to mention the idea and see if the group picked it up...

I think you’ve missed the point. Just because Alice seemed to think that the producers of the film would have to use the song just because they were provided with it doesn't mean he was being “arrogant”. He was probably being naïve more than anything else.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:02 pm

But is it not the case that Alice, a James Bond fan, wanted to write the theme to the film?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 pm

>But is it not the case that Alice, a James Bond fan, wanted to write the theme to the film?

Yes (http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/albums/a-mol.php).