New Alice Guitar/Bass Tabs & Chords

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

New Alice Guitar/Bass Tabs & Chords

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 am

Anyone who plays Guitar or Bass can go on to the Guitar Tabs section where Si has uploaded Brian Gaddis' old transcriptions that haven't been available since the demise of his site, along with some new stuff.There are even a couple of Drum part transcriptions!

If you want to transcribe some tabs or chords for any Alice stuff not on there if you do it in .txt format to avoid formatting issues.

The latest song is my chord transcription of 'Killed By Love' which is done in easy to play chords over the words format with the instrumental backing chords written in bar sections.

I know criss has done some tabs from the new album too.

email si@sickthingsuk.co.uk
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: New Alice Guitar/Bass Tabs & Chords

Post by Mad Axeman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Had a look at some of them and they look gooood :rock:

When I do get round to tabbing I use 'notepad', is that a .txt format ? me ignorant!
To the Axeman, all supplicants are the same height...

http://www.myspace.com/6stringsiseverything

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Hey steven_crayn, thought for a few seconds you'd got 'Killed by love' horribly wrong! Then realised had to tune down to D#, ya coulda warned me!! :laugh:

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Mad Axeman wrote:Had a look at some of them and they look gooood :rock:

When I do get round to tabbing I use 'notepad', is that a .txt format ? me ignorant!
yes notepad is .txt
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Mad Axeman wrote:Hey steven_crayn, thought for a few seconds you'd got 'Killed by love' horribly wrong! Then realised had to tune down to D#, ya coulda warned me!! :laugh:
Yes it is tuned down a semitone in terms of pitch.

Dropped tunings are interesting a way of playing something in a different pitch but still using open chords, it wouldn't sound as good if you hit an E flat shape even though the E is pitching down a semitone on Killed by Love.

One of my favourite tunings is using DADGAD which Jimmy Page used on Kashmir, what a genius he is to come up with that song.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 pm

One of my favourite tunings is using DADGAD which Jimmy Page used on Kashmir, what a genius he is to come up with that song

You said it Page is killer , thats a fact .

Can i also ad to the killer list of guitar players Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner anyone who has nt heard La forum june18 1975 Welcome to my nightmare live , get it . There is some killer guitar work on that show , and the dude on vocals is nt half bad too . :alice:

Anyone interested in doing some tabs feel free to PM me .

I wanna finaly put to rest the first chord stummed in Welcome to my nightmare , i ve seen it tabbed good many times but every one ive seen gets that chord wrong :laugh:
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am

criss wrote:

I wanna finaly put to rest the first chord stummed in Welcome to my nightmare , i ve seen it tabbed good many times but every one ive seen gets that chord wrong :laugh:

Ive always played an upstroked Em, haven't listened to it for ages though so probably wrong!
Ho hum, time to dust off the guitar again......

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:10 am

Forget last post, i was thinking of wrong chord :guntohead:
Told ya I aint heard it for a while

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Steve or axeman any idea of the Guitar effect used live on devils food intro during the 70s . Is it a chorus or phaser ?

Mad Axeman Your 100% correct about the upstroke Em at 21 seconds .

Im going to tab lots of cool coop stuff over the next year . There s just so many fantastic tunes that need to be done . when i found Brian Gaddis site way back i flipped at all the great tabs , alma matter and stuff like its hot tonight etc . I was thinking i was the only person that loved the more obscure tunes but people are tabbing this stuff blew me away . So i think it time i realy dug into so coop tunes and tabbed them to give something back to the community . Would love to do an in debth of entire albums with what effects are used , side notes about scales etc ect . Ill shut up because once i start on guitars and the coop i can and will babble on for ages . :laugh:

This sounds like the intro to me , played on 12 string ? Any input is always welcome .

e|------------------------------7------------------
B|------------------------------7------------------
G|------------------------------7------------------
D|---------------0--2----------7------------------
A|----------0-2----------------9------------------
E|---7s--0--------------0-----0------------------

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:37 pm

criss wrote:

Can i also ad to the killer list of guitar players Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner anyone who has nt heard La forum june18 1975 Welcome to my nightmare live , get it . There is some killer guitar work on that show , and the dude on vocals is nt half bad too . :alice:

You are so right Criss, the LA Forum recording really captures those 2 guitar gods even more so than the video from Wembley as the sound is more in your face.

When I think of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter there are so many truly great moments, as well as the stuff with Alice I think of Intro/Sweet Jane/Heroin from Lou Reed's live album 'Rock n Roll Animal'.

Another highpoint was Peter Gabriel's first solo album Steve Hunter on 'Slowburn' and Dick's solo on 'Here Comes The Flood'.

Seen Steve twice on both of the Night Of The Guitar Tours that came to the UK and provided the photo for The Rock n Roll Animals film that I hope sees the light of day.
That shot was taken at Bradford in the 80's and as I was at the front of the stage I mentioned to Steve, Dick Wagner, to which he replied "my old buddy I hope so".
It would be great to see those two playing together again, what a team.
The biggest compliment I ever got was when Dick Wagner said he liked my playing, that is good enough for me as he and Steve are guitar gods!

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:09 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
criss wrote:

You are so right Criss, the LA Forum recording really captures those 2 guitar gods even more so than the video from Wembley as the sound is more in your face.

When I think of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter there are so many truly great moments, as well as the stuff with Alice I think of Intro/Sweet Jane/Heroin from Lou Reed's live album 'Rock n Roll Animal'.

Another highpoint was Peter Gabriel's first solo album Steve Hunter on 'Slowburn' and Dick's solo on 'Here Comes The Flood'.

Seen Steve twice on both of the Night Of The Guitar Tours that came to the UK and provided the photo for The Rock n Roll Animals film that I hope sees the light of day.
That shot was taken at Bradford in the 80's and as I was at the front of the stage I mentioned to Steve, Dick Wagner, to which he replied "my old buddy I hope so".
It would be great to see those two playing together again, what a team.
The biggest compliment I ever got was when Dick Wagner said he liked my playing, that is good enough for me as he and Steve are guitar gods!
Totaly love any live stuff but the LA forum realy stands out too me , as you said the guitars are in your face . And the overall sound is very crisp and the coop is in real good form , sounds like he s fresh and into the tour maybe have got burnt out later on in the tour .

Yeah the stuff steve and dick did with lou reed is tops , i m sure i was reading lou reed got dirty because steve and dick where getting most of the good press during the tour . Do you also here a shades of escape in sweet jane

Ill have to chase up Peter Gabriel's tunes .

Your a lucky man to have seen all the artists you ve seen . kind of sucks in oz as very few tour here and if they do its always a huge show and hard to get good seating . Great to see your also hyped about rock n roll animals , fingers crossed it see s a release steve and dick deserve there rock god status thats for sure . What a compliment re your guitar playing , me likes it too you write some cool tunes .

If you get a chance re what the effects dick and steve are useing on La forum or other live shows let me know your thoughts .

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:10 pm

criss wrote:Steve or axeman any idea of the Guitar effect used live on devils food intro during the 70s . Is it a chorus or phaser ?

Mad Axeman Your 100% correct about the upstroke Em at 21 seconds .

Im going to tab lots of cool coop stuff over the next year . There s just so many fantastic tunes that need to be done . when i found Brian Gaddis site way back i flipped at all the great tabs , alma matter and stuff like its hot tonight etc . I was thinking i was the only person that loved the more obscure tunes but people are tabbing this stuff blew me away . So i think it time i realy dug into so coop tunes and tabbed them to give something back to the community . Would love to do an in debth of entire albums with what effects are used , side notes about scales etc ect . Ill shut up because once i start on guitars and the coop i can and will babble on for ages . :laugh:

This sounds like the intro to me , played on 12 string ? Any input is always welcome .

e|------------------------------7------------------
B|------------------------------7------------------
G|------------------------------7------------------
D|---------------0--2----------7------------------
A|----------0-2----------------9------------------
E|---7s--0--------------0-----0------------------
That sounds pretty good to me Criss.

My favourite section of that song is the modulation when the haunting strings come in over the chord progression:

|F#m| / |Fm| / |Am| / |Bflat| / |Em| / |Am| / |F | / |B7#9| / |

followed by the Bflat the brass melody starts on creating dissonance over the Em tonal centre.

Bob Ezrin is God!

Prince Alice
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Prince Alice » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:54 am

I just sent Si my Tab of the Intro to "Vengeance" :rock:
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand!..
check it out: www.uhfd.com

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Criss re intro to Devils Food it sounds like a phaser on the album so I would have thought that live it would have been the same, will have to have another listen to check.

As for the Peter Gabriel first solo album I couldn't recommend it highly enough it is totally awesome!
Produced by Bob Ezrin and as well as Steve Hunter on guitar on most tracks, Dick Wagner plays on 2 songs with for me one of his greatest ever solos on 'Here Comes The Flood' and he also plays the end solo on 'Slowburn' with Steve taking the others.
There is also another guitar great on that album in Robert Fripp! plus some other names we will know from Alice Cooper - Tony Levin on Bass, Jozef Chirowski on Keyboards and Allan Schwartzberg on Drums(who I'm sure Si will add to the 1970's era of his excellent musicians section)

Bob does this string arrangement with the London Symphony Orchestra on 'Down the Dolce Vita' which is really haunting & powerful.Other great songs are 'Moribund the Burgermeister', 'Modern Love', 'Waiting For The Big One'(which has one the best blues solo's ever recorded) and my favourite track 'Slowburn' it is a truly great piece of work.
The well known songs on the album are 'Solsbury Hill' and 'Here Comes The Flood' both great, but every track has something special.

Apart from my favourite Alice albums I would put this album in my top 3 along with Floyd's 'The Wall' & Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane'.

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 pm

By George I think Ive cracked it!!
Had to dust off my 12 string and teach Mrs Axeman the 6string part, first thing she's ever learned, but I think we got the solution.

The open E from the 6string has to resonate while the 12 string plays

e---------7---------------
B--------7----------------
G-------7-----------------
D------9------------------
A-----7-------------------
E-------------------------

Its the only way to get it to sound right.
Many thanks to Mrs Axeman who's finger now hurts :evil:

I agree it sounds like a phaser for Devils Food.

Steven you baffle me with science, but Bob Ezrin is god (well one of them anyway)

:laugh:

Ive sent Si my version of the Cold Ethyl intro solo and first verse.

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Thinking about it, I suppose the best way to play WTMN on ONE guitar would be to remove the thinner 'E' and 'A' strings from a 12 string and play this:

e--------------------------------7---
B-------------------------------7----
G------------------------------7-----
D-----------------------------9------
A----------------5-7---------7-------
E---7\-0---5-7--------0------------ etc

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Mad Axeman wrote:
Steven you baffle me with science, but Bob Ezrin is god (well one of them anyway)
Nothing to be baffled about, just music in theory and practice not a science really.

If you look at 'Welcome To My Nightmare' after the modulation when the song returns to the 'key' of Eminor and the opening Bb note of the brass melody plays over that chord, it creates a dissonace with the chord which has a root, minor 3rd and perfect 5th, but introducing this other note ie the B flat that the brass plays, also gives us a flatted 5th which creates the ambiguity in the music though still gives us an overall tonal centre of Eminor even though this note often called an 'accidental' though very deliberate, isn't strong enough to change the dominance of the main building blocks which are the root, 3rd and 5th.

These origins can be found in blues & jazz music.

for example if you use a minor blues scale over a major chord/key eg:

A minor blues scale A C D D# E G A

over an

A major Chord A C# E the 1st 3rd and 5th note from the key of A major (A B C# D E F# G# A)

You are creating dissonace and ambiguity, but it works because it sounds interesting to the ear, otherwise music would just be boring and safe.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:49 pm

steven_crayn wrote:Criss re intro to Devils Food it sounds like a phaser on the album so I would have thought that live it would have been the same, will have to have another listen to check.

As for the Peter Gabriel first solo album I couldn't recommend it highly enough it is totally awesome!
Produced by Bob Ezrin and as well as Steve Hunter on guitar on most tracks, Dick Wagner plays on 2 songs with for me one of his greatest ever solos on 'Here Comes The Flood' and he also plays the end solo on 'Slowburn' with Steve taking the others.
There is also another guitar great on that album in Robert Fripp! plus some other names we will know from Alice Cooper - Tony Levin on Bass, Jozef Chirowski on Keyboards and Allan Schwartzberg on Drums(who I'm sure Si will add to the 1970's era of his excellent musicians section)

Bob does this string arrangement with the London Symphony Orchestra on 'Down the Dolce Vita' which is really haunting & powerful.Other great songs are 'Moribund the Burgermeister', 'Modern Love', 'Waiting For The Big One'(which has one the best blues solo's ever recorded) and my favourite track 'Slowburn' it is a truly great piece of work.
The well known songs on the album are 'Solsbury Hill' and 'Here Comes The Flood' both great, but every track has something special.

Apart from my favourite Alice albums I would put this album in my top 3 along with Floyd's 'The Wall' & Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane'.
Will have to chase Peter Gabriel s album up , ive heard solsbury hill and here comes the flood ( very powerful tune and as you said fantastic solo ) . Never realised that both dick and steve where both on that album and a list of other coop musicians .

Yes Bob ezrin is god on most stuff he has done .

You have a varied and good taste in albums , aladbin sane is a master piece , bowie is brillent . I was glad i found out about bowies early stuff as i was to young to know how great it was and i found other great artists like mott and hoople and ian hunter etc .

Mick ronson is ace in my books . If you have never chased up micks solo albums or his work with ian hunter do try , as they have some very cool stuff on them . There very under rated and not much ever said about them but great none the less .

The wall what can one say about that album that has nt already been said . I also think final cut is an exellent album and most of waters solo albums are killer the one with jeff beck is unique and a stand out for me some there s lots of insane guitar playing .

Thanx Mad axeman and ms axewomen great work .

So yous are both going with a phaser on Devils food , i know dick used the phase 90 so that must be it . The stat on .

Steve great input on welcome to my nightmare thats the stuff i would like to add to the tabs to round out the theory side . And then do similar with the effects too .

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 am

criss wrote:
Will have to chase Peter Gabriel s album up , ive heard solsbury hill and here comes the flood ( very powerful tune and as you said fantastic solo ) . Never realised that both dick and steve where both on that album and a list of other coop musicians .

Yes Bob ezrin is god on most stuff he has done .

You have a varied and good taste in albums , aladdin sane is a master piece , bowie is brillent . I was glad i found out about bowies early stuff as i was to young to know how great it was and i found other great artists like mott and hoople and ian hunter etc .

Mick ronson is ace in my books . If you have never chased up micks solo albums or his work with ian hunter do try , as they have some very cool stuff on them . There very under rated and not much ever said about them but great none the less .

The wall what can one say about that album that has nt already been said . I also think final cut is an exellent album and most of waters solo albums are killer the one with jeff beck is unique and a stand out for me some there s lots of insane guitar playing .

Steve great input on welcome to my nightmare thats the stuff i would like to add to the tabs to round out the theory side . And then do similar with the effects too .
I saw Mick Ronson with Ian Hunter at Sheffield Uni and he was simply awesome, he played Slaughter On 10th Avenue and he snapped a string but played on and it still sounded great.
Several years later after Mick had sadly died I saw Ian Hunter live again and met him after the gig and also met Mick Ronson's mother who was there (what a lovely lady), one of her favourite tracks by her son was 'Sweet Dreams' which he played live with Ian Hunter (the instrumental version of the Patsy Cline tune that was made famous by Roy Buchanan) that was featured in the film 'The Departed' a few years ago.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NNyE1_a6ShE

I love Mott The Hoople too, Mick played a great solo on Mott The Hoople's 'Saturday Gig'.
They had some great guitarists, Mick Ralphs and later Luther James Grosvenor who went by the strange stage name of Ariel Bender! Interestingly Ralphs played on the single version of 'Roll Away The Stone' which is better than the album version that Bender played on, plus of course all that great work Mick Ralphs did with Bad Company.

Back to Mick Ronson, talking to Ian Hunter about him I had to pinch myself, this guy signed my copy of 'Welcome To My Club' (what an live album that is their rock version of The Shadows FBI is awesome)and here I was drinking and talking to him about one of my guitar heroes (his solos on 'Time', 'Life On Mars' and 'Prettiest Star' are my favourites).
Meeting Ian Hunter who is a great guy and great songwriter, It's really wierd as a few years ago I was approached by Ian's daughter Tracie who was after a new guitar player and I was in the process of learning her album but someone else got the gig, I would have wanted to play Ronson style solos all over the place!

As for Roger Waters he is a genius, I know one of his touring guitar players (Dave Kilminster) who used to teach at The Guitar Institue in London where I spent 3 years of my life, he really is one of the best guitarists out there.

As for that chord on 'Welcome To My Nightmare' lookng at the spelling of those chords we have a choice between your E9sus4 or Mad Axemans E9(with no 3rd), I'm going to have to listen to it again before I decide what I think it is as both sound close.

That song is such a masterpiece, that modulation is so brilliant and the strings and brass, musical genius at work. :alice:

Mad Axeman
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Mad Axeman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 pm

I've always loved the little intro to Wake Me Gently, but have never been able to find it tabbed. So I've tried to learn it and tab it myself.
I'm not sure about the 3 chords near the end though.
Could I possibly Email it to anyone out there for their opinion please?