classical music with alice film on all you need is love

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Alice content..all you need is love

Post by recoop » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 am

Believe this saturday tv 12.40am (i.e. 40 mins after midnight) All you need is Love on More4 channel..i have waited 33 years to see this episode..hanging sequence me thinks..may be mentioned elsewhere..don't see it..don't want anyone to miss it. bowie content as well i think

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 am

thanks for that recoop, i been waiting to see it in full
no sleep till Sunday
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am

Sounds like smashing fun.......I'll have to look for that here. :grin:

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Will try and coax the old DVD recorder into performing. Knowing my luck I will get whatever is on BBC2.... AGAIN.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:36 pm

can anyone enlighten me as to what music being played over visuals of alice being hung on all you need is love ...presuming classical..maybe wagner...muso needed

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice content..all you need is love

Post by Si » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:10 am

From memory isn't it missorsky's (Sp?) "night on bald mountain"? Haven`t double checked so could be wrong.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

classical music with alice film on all you need is love

Post by recoop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:17 am

Can someone please advise me what the music was that was being played as alice hanged on above tv prog on saturday.sounds like wagner but unsure.need sufficient info to buy.I am sure one of you knows..info please.ta.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: classical music with alice film on all you need is love

Post by Maurice » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 am

recoop wrote:Can someone please advise me what the music was that was being played as alice hanged on above tv prog on saturday.sounds like wagner but unsure.need sufficient info to buy.I am sure one of you knows..info please.ta.
Ok, I did not see this show so this may (or may not!) help.

The 'classical' piece used during the hanging sequence on stage - as Si pointed out in another thread - was known as 'A Night on Bald Mountain'.
This can be confused with two classical pieces - one I think a re-arrangement of the other.

The piece originally written by Modest Mussorgsky was "St Johns' Night on Bare Mountain", which was re-arranged for opera by Rimsky Korsakov, and became know as 'A Night on Bare Mountain'.

Guessing now, but it became more popularly known as Night on Bald Moubntain after Disney used it in Fantasia - the Mickey Mouse wizard scene I think?
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:43 am

thanks for your efforts..i am desperate to find out..i've just listened to a 10min extract of bare/bald mountain and it does not seem to be the one used in tv prog..have played both at same time...nay of course be missing a part of it..sincere thanks for help..any other advice also welcomed

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:46 am

thanks for effort si, Ihave listend to mussorgsky extract on you tube..does not seem to match..only just learned to spell mussorgsky myself...think night on bare/bald mountain was used as intro to alice shows in early 70s..hollywood bowl perhaps...but this sounds different to me..i have created another stream on this and i am hoping that i can get answer...many thanks

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 am

>night on bare/bald mountain was used as intro to alice shows in early 70s..hollywood bowl perhaps...

No. It was used during the "Billion Dollar Babies" show (just before "Sick Things", I think).

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:35 pm

Yeah, I don't thing that is Night on Bald Mountain.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Having studied the music score and seen the Moscow Philharmonic play Rimsky Korsakov's orchestral arrangement, I can tell you the music used in Tony Palmer's film is definitely not Mussorgsky's 'Night On A Bare Mountain' even though Alice used that during the 'Billion Dollar Babies' tour.

Tony Palmer has made lots of films about classical composers as well as rock music, so it is no surprise that he used classical music in his 'All You Need Is Love' epic.

I have just emailed his PA so should be able to find out what music was actually used over the Alice footage.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Answer from Tony Palmer re music in Alice clip

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:12 pm

What a top guy to contact me so quickly himself

The music used was Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique - 4th movement
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:09 pm

There seemed to be three topics all talking about the music in the programme. So using the new fuctions on the board I have merged them into one thread.

Actually I'm quite impressed it worked haha

Carry on....

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Re the answer from Tony Palmer here is a you tube link to the music in question.

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique -4th Movement

The interesting thing is that I did read once that this music was actually one of the inspirations behind the Mussorgsky Night On A Bare Mountain tone poem some thought the music was, as their are musical similarities and it is also inspired by a Witches Sabbath, but I could'nt remember what is was called and who it was composed by, fortunately Tony Palmer came to the rescue as it was driving me round the twist!

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:04 pm

thanks steven,si and everyone who helped very impressive..to give some info back i have just listened to a live version on you tube..orchestra that is..the explanation in some of the discussion notes say that music based on what an opium addict perceives/dreams of when being hung in a bleak featureless barn witnessed only by a crow (wrongfully accused of girlfriends murder)...pretty relevant choice of music for alice being hung...and shows tony palmer's musical reach as stated by steven if i remember correctly..thanks again

Guilty
Killer
Killer

Post by Guilty » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:13 pm

damm damm damm bloody sky+ i missed it. dammdammdammdamm ::((:
i'm guilty an i think i've been framed anyway

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:36 am

recoop wrote:thanks steven,si and everyone who helped very impressive..to give some info back i have just listened to a live version on you tube..orchestra that is..the explanation in some of the discussion notes say that music based on what an opium addict perceives/dreams of when being hung in a bleak featureless barn witnessed only by a crow (wrongfully accused of girlfriends murder)...pretty relevant choice of music for alice being hung...and shows tony palmer's musical reach as stated by steven if i remember correctly..thanks again

Berlioz fantasy symphony is indeed disturbing, the 5th movement(Dream of a witches' Sabbath) is as good as the fourth(March to the scaffold) which is obviously why he used it for the Alice hanging scene.

Tony Palmer has a really good website that lists all his films, he has an extensive knowledge of classical and rock music.

I was also really impressed that he took the trouble to respond to my question personally and within minutes!

http://www.tonypalmer.org/