zappa recording which mentions alice

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

zappa recording which mentions alice

Post by recoop » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:56 pm

A friend of mine who is a long time zappa fan reckons that there is a zappa/mothers recording/could be a live one that mentions alice cooper in a shrill voice i think mocking the idea of him/them being scary...can anyone shine a light or a link?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 pm

I think the song is actually called 'Alice Cooper' if I remember rightly. I think he wrote it when he was treating them like a comedy/novelty act to tinker with!!?

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Actually, maybe it's not called 'Alice Cooper', it's 'What Kind Of Girl Do You Think We Are?';

http://www.mp3lyrics.org/f/frank-zappa/what-kind/

Gunner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Gunner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Also, whilst on the subject, Scorpion's 'Speedy's Coming' mentions Alice Cooper.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm

thanks gunner i have just listened to a you tube recording of "what kind of girl do ou think we are?"..filmore east...zappa..zappa liked to take the piss out of rock stars and himself and i'm pretty sure he was delivering a gentle mocking of alice as shocking since he had seen transition...also reference to having a hit single would relate to i'm eighteen in my view...filmore east came out aug71, i'm eighteen a few months earlier...thanks again gunner..

ps final thought-title of zappa record " what kind of girl do you think we are" could also relate to alice cooper group i.e. girl/we although lyrics also about fans

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Part of Zappa's MO was something called lyrical mutation. Kind of on-the-spot change of lyrics that referenced something that happened during the day, maybe a conversation that happened before the show - whatever.

In this case FZ was playing the Fillmore East about a week or so before the closing and AC had either just played there or were playing there the next week, so it's likely AC came up in conversation. Since FZ happened to be rolling tape for his Live at the Fillmore album, this lyrical mutation version became more kn own than the original version (which was never releasd as a studio recording)

The original lyric of the "Alice Cooper, Alice Cooper" line was
"Corks and Safeties, Corks and Safeties"

This was a song about groupies and corks and safeties meant butt plugs and condoms. I think the ribbing was light-hearted and Flo & Eddie would be good friends of Alice the next year.