Alice at WM3

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Darren
Killer
Killer

Alice at WM3

Post by Darren » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 pm

-- Rock legend Alice Cooper was on Canadian interview show "The Hour" with George Stroumboulopoulos this week was asked about his appearance at Wrestlemania III back in 1987. Alice responded: "That was one of the most terrifying things in the world … you talk about the Manson murders being terrifying, how ‘bout 90,000 people … wrestling fans … 60,000 of them blue-haired old ladies screaming for blood, and I’m going ‘I hope this isn’t my audience. My audience isn’t as crazy as this.’ That was the craziest audience in the world. They really were. And I kept thinking, ‘They don’t really believe this do they? They don’t really believe this is real, do they?’ And I think they did."

I found this bit of info interesting for 2 reasons. The first, I would have thought that Alice's audiences were kinda crazy as well.

And second...

I'm a big fan of wrestling and specificaly Jake Roberts whom Alice Managed at WM3. There a lot of similarities between Alice's show and the performance of a good wrestler. Both play a character and have to portray that character to large crowd of people. There are a lot of theatrics and audience manipulation that goes on in both artforms despite that NEITHER are real. Which is why I found his comment a bit surprising. Even though it was 87 I think that most of the audience were very aware that it was a work, very much like his audience knows that he dosen't actually get his head cut off EVERY night. To me, wrestling is just like watching a movie, playing a video game ...it's just entertainment but its more fun if you can get into it a little.

Jake Roberts had nothing but positive things to say about Alice whenever he is asked about it. He mentioned one time that Alice was a bit freaked about Jake's Snake. Apparently the Honky Tonk Man was pissing Alice off during the match calling him a "faggot"

Damn you Honky!

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 am

The problem is that there are quite a few people who think that professional wrestling is real. It seems that nowadays there are fewer who believe this, but they are still out there. I don't think that all wrestling fans are like this, only a certain percentage. The main contrast here is that most Alice fans know that it's a show, and the ones who believe it tend to hate him. In wrestling it seems to be more the opposite, at least as far as the believers go.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:46 am

I have a special place in me ol' ticker for Alice's involvement in WM3.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:36 am

I watched this match live: only because Alice was in it.

I have always loved Professional Wrestling and I still do. The thing that becomes 'hazy' is this: Yes: it is indeed 'choreographed' or 'set up' but like it or not folks: IT HURTS. There's that 'hazy' space. If it's 'fake': it shouldn't hurt, yet it is choreographed and it does hurt.. The stories are fake, but based so much (in the 80's) upon 'real life issues' (Russia, the Iron Sheik, the "all American" etc.. that it became very easy for people at that time to 'take it for real'.

If you watch it now: it's just pathetic, though my son loves it the same way I did at this age. It's just Painful 'fluff' now...

Alice did great at that Wrestlemania though... Really, really great!

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm

BellaDonna

Yeah, agree with your post 100%. It is a very dangerous artform and they do get hurt. The lines of reality are really blurred at times because a lot of the time there are guys who just don't like each other and have been known to take liberties with each other which may add to the confusion with some people. And yes...its terrible today...well Raw is anyway.

But to keep this Alice related -

I must comment on the fact that it is dangerous to the image to be involved with wrestling. It is very easy to come across as stupid, weak and out of your element when appearing on those shows. Most celeb appearences don't work in the stars favor. That being said, Alice's appearance at WM3 was a success in the eyes of the wrestling fans . He did not embarrass himself despite Jesse Venturas nasty commentary.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:10 am

I agree with you Darren. Brittney Spears and/or Madonna would just be 'train wrecks' if they even tried it! Yet, Alice did a great job: he came across as a "hardass": bad, viscious, bad attitude, tough despite his size in comparison to those he was working with...his timing was perfect (always in the right place at the right time, yet never in the wrong place at the wrong time - which would've proved tragic for him with bodies in excess of 250lbs propelling themselves about!). I wish he could've gotten Damien up on his shoulders, but that snake was just too big for him - or any one person alone, but sweet natured in and of itself (or perhaps simply Well Fed...) ! :)

As for Jesse: he's one of my all time favorites! His comments, to me, were of that sarcastic "She's Perfect" (Alice song) nature - something he'd have understood and laughed at: I did. Additionally: they were coming from a huge man, former Navy Seal who used to strut around the ring in his bleach blonde horseshoe haircut (natural of course!) with a 'pink streak' dyed at the bottom on one side! Aheheheh!!!! I've often stood there at a concert thinking, "120 lbs tops, I think I outweigh Alice....roll eyes...) So for me: it was really funny! I love Jesse's commentarys. Think about it: Ballad of Jesse Jane...make you feel better? Aheheheheh! That's the beauty of Music and ProWrestling: it can be anything you think it is! :)

Much Well,

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 am

lol I'm not losing any sleep over it. When I was younger that bothered me a bit, but I love Jesse Ventura. His commentary was my favourite despite his Alice comments. I love hearing him and Gorilla Monsoon together back in the day. I also REALLY agree with his political views as well. And yes, I'm very very aware of his androgynous ring attire...hmmm wonder who started all that? Jesse was very influenced by Alice and didn't even know it! Same with half the bands that came out of the last 20 years.

But you're right BellaDonna, his commentary WAS kinda funny and he was a heel announcer so he was just doing his job.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:30 am

..hehehe...and maybe he just DID 'know it': and we don't! That's the really fun part! The funny thing is this (and you'll notice it with Alice too): everyone has a 'part' to 'play', Jesse was a heel announcer, the Alice character is an outstanding 'bad guy' character but both play their parts very, very well. And we love them for it: millions love them for their "performances".

Two outstanding performers! :)

BD