Recent Re-Issues

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Recent Re-Issues

Post by departmentofyouth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:45 am

Has anyone actually picked up any of the re-issues for PFY, EA, MOL, ACGTH, L&W?

I know they are not "newly remasterd" and not with the grand Rhino treatment of bonus fun stuff. But, I am wondering how they sound. I have multiple versions (US, German, Japanese) issues for all of those and they all have subtle differences in sound quality. The Japanese discs have more clarity, but the cd's are quiet by todays standards, since i purchased them nearly 20 years ago.

If anyone has the old and newly re-issued versions, please advise on any sonic differences! :)
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:56 am

You're better off with "quiet" CDs as opposed to CDs with the dynamic range squashed by compression.

Modern mastering techniques leave a lot to be desired.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:20 am

Ha Ha! I hear that! :smack:
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:57 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:You're better off with "quiet" CDs as opposed to CDs with the dynamic range squashed by compression.

Amen brother.

These re-issues are the same as the last with some copyright and slight package change. They are the same transfers from the original CDs.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:48 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:You're better off with "quiet" CDs as opposed to CDs with the dynamic range squashed by compression.

I'm a fan of the original recordings, in general terms of course. Sometimes the mistakes or whatever have you from earlier recordings are a reflection of the times. Not all rock music needs to be flawless; in fact I prefer a little fuzz/hiss because it speaks of the rawness and a bit of integrity of the project.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Yep, when they go so far as to "NoNOISE" every last ounce of tape hiss out, they really get rid of the "air" in the recording and things become really sterile and artificial sounding.

A little tape hiss never killed anybody.

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:12 pm

True....and "Don't Blow Your Mind" just wouldn't be the same without the fuzz.
I love the old defective recordings. :grin:

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Tape hiss and pops are no excuse. It shows an incompetent transfer on the technician’s part or evidence of deterioration of the master. And I'd hope it's the earlier. Unless shoddy hands were used in the production of the original recording.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:25 pm

You can't remove all tape hiss without affecting the actual music on some level.

rpchurch
Trash
Trash

Packaging

Post by rpchurch » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:16 am

I've had Easy Action for awhile, and got Lace and Whiskey shortly thereafter. And, I picked up Flush the Fashion and From the Inside today. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have there on CD (I live in the U.S. and they've been unavailable domestically for awhile), but I think they could have done a little better job on the packaging. It isn't that it is awful, just kind of sloppy by the high standards we usually get from Rhino. At a bare minimum, I think they should have recreated the front and back foldouts for From the Inside. It just isn't the same without the cool back doors!

FYI - I'd sent Rhino a not, sometime ago, asking if this was going to be a continued trend, to get the rest of the old solo stuff back out there. They said they didn't have plans to, specifically with respect to DADA and Special Forces. I was kind of bummed about that. It sure would have been nice to have had DADA to listen to through the Halloween season! Here's hoping they change their plans.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: Packaging

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:39 am

rpchurch wrote:I've had Easy Action for awhile, and got Lace and Whiskey shortly thereafter. And, I picked up Flush the Fashion and From the Inside today. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have there on CD (I live in the U.S. and they've been unavailable domestically for awhile), but I think they could have done a little better job on the packaging. It isn't that it is awful, just kind of sloppy by the high standards we usually get from Rhino. At a bare minimum, I think they should have recreated the front and back foldouts for From the Inside. It just isn't the same without the cool back doors!
Not saying it's a bad idea, but considering this is a relatively quiet back archive release it probably wasn't that important of a detail. Maybe a different story if this was a bigger scale project.
Me = Winning

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:13 am

They are meant to be simple reissues at a low price to get them available in the USA again. Hence no remastering etc.

rpchurch
Trash
Trash

Post by rpchurch » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Si wrote:They are meant to be simple reissues at a low price to get them available in the USA again. Hence no remastering etc.
Yeah, and I'm grateful that they're back out there. I'm just imagining how cool an actual reproduction of the LP in CD format would have been. Seems like that would have been a great project for Rhino Handmade. But, Rhino did not disappoint with the box set, so I can't complain. Sure hope they change their mind about DADA, though. I really think that would be one brand new listeners could get a lot out of. Definitely one of my top 5 solo Coop records.
Please don't touch the display little boy.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 am

There are three mini-LP style Cd's that keep turning up on Ebay at the moment. Killer, FTI and Greatest Hits. Not sure they are official though. Coming from Russia they could be in a kinda grey area due to lax copyright laws over there. They look cool on the pics but I haven't seen one in the flesh. Very tempting though.

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 am

I don't know how they can release Flush and not SF They really are two sister albums and justifying one to the other is odd. Is this requested from Alice? I'm surprised he just didn't leave the “drunkard four” albums out all together. I guess he did mention he really likes Zipper and still supports the song Model Citizen.

Its isn’t too big of a deal for me since the German CD’s have become commonly found here but at a rather hefty price. Besides the German L&W issue had a much better version of Road Rats.

Why is that anyway?