Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: BSB 50th anniversary 2cd / 3 lp out in March

Post by Si » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 am

Interesting.

So track 1-21, 24,25,30 are all previously on the 2CD deluxe edition from years ago - assuming the live tracks are from the same show (Houston) used on that and the RSD vinyl release. It may not be as several shows were recorded.

22 and 23 are presumably the missing tracks to complete the show (missing on the 2CD edition, on the 7" RSD release)
while 26-29 are simply single versions - some of which could be also on Greatest Hits.

It's likely that even if the live show IS the same as before it will have been tweaked and improved.

This looks like it will be the retail page once they have more info:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... hingsuk-21

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:16 pm

ALICE COOPER

Billion Dollar Babies “Trillion Dollar” Deluxe Edition

3-LP & 2-CD Version With Remastered Sound, Outtakes, Live Tracks, And More Arriving March 8

“Hello Hooray,” a new version of Billion Dollar Babies, is on the way as Alice Cooper’s delightfully subversive sixth album returns in all its snakeskin glory for an extended 50th-anniversary celebration. After hitting #1 on the album charts in America and the U.K. in 1973, the record remains a highwater mark for the original lineup, featuring hits like “No More Mr. Nice Guy” and “Elected.”

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES: “Trillion Dollar” DELUXE EDITION will be available from Rhino on March 8 on 3-LP and 2-CD. Both feature a newly remastered version of the original album, along with bonus material, including studio outtakes, single mixes, and an electrifying 1973 concert recording. In the vinyl edition, the gatefold cover faithfully replicates the original’s textured snakeskin wallet design and comes complete with a $1 billion dollar bill tucked inside.

An instant smash when it was released in March 1973, Billion Dollar Babies delivered a theatrical mix of hard rock and glam laced with macabre lyrics that explored wealth, decadence, and fame’s darker side. Newly remastered, the platinum-certified album sounds better than ever. The set also features outtakes (“Coal Black Model T”), single mixes (“Mary Ann”), and “Slick Black Limousine,” which originally came out on flexi-disc within an issue of the British rock paper New Musical Express.

The “Trillion Dollar” Deluxe Edition also features a live show recorded in Texas in April of 1973, during the “Billion Dollar Babies” tour. The powerful performance includes live versions of many of the album’s tracks, highlights including “Elected” and “Hello Hooray,” along with several of the band’s earlier hits, including “I’m Eighteen” and “School’s Out.”

The LP and CD versions both come with an oral history of the album and the bonus tracks by the surviving band members (as told to Jaan Uhelszki) – Alice Cooper, Dennis Dunaway, Michael Bruce, and Neal Smith – and Bob Ezrin, who produced the album. (Sadly, guitarist Glen Buxton died in 1997)

In the notes, Cooper recalls writing “I Love The Dead” and “Sick Things.” He says, “We were writing those songs looking at each other, and every time we’d write a line I’d say, ‘Oh, this is gonna kill them. Oh, they’re gonna hate us on this one.’ But at the same time, it was almost like an Edgar Allan Poe short story when you listen to ‘I Love The Dead.’ I tried to write that the way Vincent Price would sing it.”

BILLION DOLLAR BABIES: 50TH “TRILLION DOLLAR” DELUXE EDITION

3LP TRACK LISTING

LP ONE

Side One
“Hello Hooray”
“Raped And Freezin’”
“Elected”
“Billion Dollar Babies”
“Unfinished Sweet”

Side Two
“No More Mr. Nice Guy”
“Generation Landslide”
“Sick Things”
“Mary Ann”
“I Love The Dead”

LP TWO

Side One
“Hello Hooray” – Live, 1973
“Billion Dollar Babies” – Live, 1973
“Elected” – Live, 1973
“I’m Eighteen” – Live, 1973
“Raped And Freezin’” – Live, 1973
“No More Mr. Nice Guy” – Live, 1973

Side Two
“My Stars” – Live, 1973
“Unfinished Sweet” – Live, 1973
“Sick Things” – Live, 1973
“Dead Babies” – Live, 1973
“I Love The Dead” – Live, 1973

LP THREE

Side One
“School’s Out” – Live, 1973
“Under My Wheels” – Live, 1973
“Coal Black Model T” – Outtake
“Son Of Billion Dollar Babies (Generation Landslide)” – Outtake

Side Two
“Hello Hooray” – Single Version
“Billion Dollar Babies” – Single Version
“Elected” – Single Version
“Mary Ann” – Single Version
“Slick Black Limousine”

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:03 pm

Hmmm. Cant say i am feeling this.....i presume they are releasing this due to good performances of killer and SO?
If so i may have to buy this in the eventual hope of getting albums and songs i care about......

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:10 pm

if the live tracks are the same as the old deluxe cd, and the RSD a few years back, I'm going to comfortably give this one a miss.
Glad they're putting them out, though!

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:40 pm

Ahh forgot i have that RSD release, also got the flexi disc and I have no interest in singles when i have the full abum versions, especially in the same listening session....a miss for me personally.

A nice prize for anyone who just started collecting and is yet to add this one or who did not get the RSD release though.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm

I've got two vinyl copies of Billion Dollar Babies, but none of the more recent reissues.

And I've got the deluxe CD.

Still might go for this. Will need to think it over.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 pm

While I agree with everyone suggesting there's likely nothing new included here, the one thing we can probably be assured off is that the LP packaging will be first class... and isn't that 90% of why a lot of us buy these vinyl reissues?
If it was just any new material we would only buy the CD version if any!

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:55 pm

I haven't bought vinyl in ages (and still have my original LP from the 70s, with all the cool packaging, the billion dollar bill, etc), so it's CD for me, if I go for it.

I did like the booklet with the other two remasters, and School's Out, especially, sounded great, I loved the boost on the bass. If I hear the audio provides that same punch (Billion was a bit tinny in spots, to my ears), then I'd go for it. But if it basically sounds the same as the last deluxe release... that'll be a pass.

So I'll be looking to see what folks here have to say about the sound quality.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 am

Si wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 pm
While I agree with everyone suggesting there's likely nothing new included here, the one thing we can probably be assured off is that the LP packaging will be first class... and isn't that 90% of why a lot of us buy these vinyl reissues?
Whilst cool packaging is nice its 100% the music for me. In fact fancy box sets have become the bane of me. They take up too much space, don't fit my vinyl storage so end up in a cupboard never to be played.
For regular sets the packaging sits on my sideboard when the album spins, barely in view.

Don't get me wrong, its to hear people talk about how cool something is and say "i have that".

If its new music I wont listen to it until I have the vinyl, nightmare when pre-orders are delayed (I waited 6 months between the CD/Stream release and the vinyl once during covid). The only exception is when singles get released on YT, i cant help watch to see what the video/lyric video is like. Granted with a new Alice album that means 50% of the album these days :rotfl:

But mostly I don't stream, Amazon Prime usually means I can get new vinyl next day so if I have an urge i check there and take the wait as I want that music listening moment to be a ritual: struggle to get a new vinyl out the paper sleeve as its almost vacuumed in :rotfl: , drop the arm, sit down on the sofa, realise the nephew has changed my rpm setting :rotfl: . i have a USB dongle in the car though with everything I like on it.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 am

VinceRaven wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm
I've got two vinyl copies of Billion Dollar Babies, but none of the more recent reissues.

And I've got the deluxe CD.

Still might go for this. Will need to think it over.
So far, I'm feeling the same way. I have bought BDB five times over the years ; Vinyl in 1975 and 1979. Cassette in the late 80's, CD in the mid 90's, which I gave to my Brother when I got the Special Edition in 2001. The track listing seems to be the same old stuff that We all have heard and as Si pointed out, You would think there would be other shows recorded from that tour. The packaging/liner notes do look promising...

It would appear that the KILLER/SCHOOL'S OUT re-issues did well enough to warrant this coming out. Although I'm not holding my breath, it would be aces to see LOVE IT TO DEATH and MUSCLE OF LOVE to get the same treatment if the March release fulfills expectations.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pm

Si wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:16 pm

In the notes, Cooper recalls writing “I Love The Dead” and “Sick Things.” He says, “We were writing those songs looking at each other, and every time we’d write a line I’d say, ‘Oh, this is gonna kill them. Oh, they’re gonna hate us on this one.’ But at the same time, it was almost like an Edgar Allan Poe short story when you listen to ‘I Love The Dead.’ I tried to write that the way Vincent Price would sing it.”
I'm not sure who Alice was referring to in regards to "I Love The Dead" but it was written by Alice and Dick Wagner.

In his book Wagner states this song was written by he and Alice. Also that he sold it to Shep for $6,000 thus giving up all writing credits and claims to the song.

Wagner states he was brought in to the mansion by Ezrin to write with/for the band but it turned out he mainly wrote with Alice.

Looking at it now you can see why WTMN sounds like the natural follow up to B$B and why MOL sounds out of place and a step back.

Wagner did write that themes in the vein of I Love The Dead wanted to be further explored by Ezrin and Alice. Well they were on WTMN.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:58 am

Si wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 pm
No I think there’s a fair few of us that actually listen to and enjoy our vinyl. I do agree with you though that the packaging and oral history are probably the strongest selling point for this set. Also for the vinyl people, having everything in one place. I do wish they’d have found something new though.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:59 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pm
Si wrote:

I'm not sure who Alice was referring to in regards to "I Love The Dead" but it was written by Alice and Dick Wagner.

In his book Wagner states this song was written by he and Alice. Also that he sold it to Shep for $6,000 thus giving up all writing credits and claims to the song.

Wagner states he was brought in to the mansion by Ezrin to write with/for the band but it turned out he mainly wrote with Alice.

Looking at it now you can see why WTMN sounds like the natural follow up to B$B and why MOL sounds out of place and a step back.

Wagner did write that themes in the vein of I Love The Dead wanted to be further explored by Ezrin and Alice. Well they were on WTMN.
He could be referring to any of the production team on the album. He could be talking about rehearsing and arranging the material with the band, where they could well have been refining the lyrics as they went along (there’s plenty of evidence that this was the case with they way they worked before and after) or it could just be something Alice made up for the linear notes.
I’m pretty sure most of the people on this forum are well aware of Dick Wagner’s involvement in the writing of the ILTD and most are probably aware that Michael Bruce has claimed he wrote the chorus too.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:50 pm

Babysquid wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:59 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:41 pm
Si wrote:

He could be referring to any of the production team on the album. He could be talking about rehearsing and arranging the material with the band, where they could well have been refining the lyrics as they went along (there’s plenty of evidence that this was the case with they way they worked before and after) or it could just be something Alice made up for the linear notes.
I’m pretty sure most of the people on this forum are well aware of Dick Wagner’s involvement in the writing of the ILTD and most are probably aware that Michael Bruce has claimed he wrote the chorus too.
Dick Wagner always told things straight up and was not known for embellishing events.

I'll take Wagner's recollection over anyone else's especially Michael Bruce.

Musically the song is pure Wagner. It would have fit perfectly on WTMN and I'm sure it had a big impact on the genesis and direction of WTMN.

Maybe MB wrote the chorus to "The Black Widow" too and I'm sure he also wrote the chorus to "Inmates (We're All Crazy).

If anyone wants a great insight into the 1975-1983 period , I highly recommend reading Dick's book. It is free of self-serving embellishment and is a matter of fact telling of events in those years.

alan1958
Killer
Killer

Post by alan1958 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:02 pm

Mary Ann ( single version) ?

It was a single somewhere?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:05 pm

alan1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:02 pm
Mary Ann ( single version) ?

It was a single somewhere?
B'Side of 'Billion Dollar Babies'. Although I don't think I was aware of there being any differences to the album version.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm

One more thing while I'm at it. Wagner sold all of his rights and writing credit to Shep for $6 000.
This was done on an agreement that the song was to be credited to one writer, that being Alice Cooper...the man, not the band.

When the album was released, Wagner was very perturbed to see Ezrin listed as a co-writer as that was not the agreement. Wagner stated he understood the nature of the business and much later on realized the large loss of income caused by him selling the song. However, he stated it was worth it as it opened the door to his writing partnership with Alice.

He also states that he was brought in to write with the band buy ended up almost writing exclusively with Alice. Wagner states that ILTD was written by Alice and himself.

I always assumed (wrongly) that "My Stars" was co-written by Wagner using the same arrangement. The song has a very strong Wagner writing influence however it was written by Ezrin with lyrics by Alice. Wagner was paid a few bucks to perform on the track.

Wagner also fairly stated that Ezrin was a huge contributor to both the music and lyrics on everything he worked on. This is no different that what the original band has stated. A lot of times Ezrin did not take a songwriting credit. Not to knock Alice as he is a great lyricist, but there are great lyrics out there that were written by Ezrin.

Which brings me to my last point. This would have been a perfect time to set the record straight and give credit to those who actually played on B$B. Wagner, Hunter, Dolin, Mashbir deserve their credit for their contributions to the legendary album. GB didn't play a note and gets full credit. What b.s.!

Once again an opportunity passed by without giving recognition to those who actually played the music we all hear. A breakdown of each song could have been included with who played what and any other contributions they may have had.

The fact that Dick Wagner also co-wrote ILTD would have been nice too.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm

Which brings me to my last point. This would have been a perfect time to set the record straight and give credit to those who actually played on B$B. Wagner, Hunter, Dolin, Mashbir deserve their credit for their contributions to the legendary album. GB didn't play a note and gets full credit. What b.s.!
Interesting that you already have a copy of this reissue (It's not released until March 8th) so already know what is said and who is credited in the sleeve notes.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:33 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 pm
Interesting that you already have a copy of this reissue (It's not released until March 8th) so already know what is said and who is credited in the sleeve notes.
I know that was tongue in cheek, but never say never eg Live at Hammersmith :rotfl:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:23 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:18 pm

I'll be very surprised if there is credit given to those who played on on the album and more importantly that Glen Buxton does not play at all on the album.