BSB 50th anniversary 2cd / 3 lp out in March

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: BSB 50th anniversary 2cd / 3 lp out in March

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:30 am

It's great to tell stories about what might have been but what did that $6k ($40k plus today) do at the time? Listening to half a story, grabbing it and using it for an agenda about alleged mistreatment in the past doesn't work for me
Your whole statement is very true about perceived "acts" and "realities" i encounter this many times where i work. The thing is i don't remember Dick Wagner complaining about taking the buy out money. He took it because he wanted/needed the money, he was a big boy and made his own decisions. Im sure it is the same with most if not all others. Lets not complain on others peoples behalf and let them deal with things.

The alice cooper camp seem to have looked after the various bit players etc over the years, no one seems to regret working with them, this isnt a Sharon Osborne bob daisley/Jake E lee situation.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:23 pm

rodentdog wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:51 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:24 pm
Also, I agree that no one's memory is perfect. But I' m quite sure that even person with dementia would remember selling a song which likely earned near a million dollars over the course of the years for 6k.
My mother has dementia. Some days she does'nt know me. She doesnt know what day it is or year or where she is. So I would'nt be so sure of that Mr. B
I suspect Mr.Barlow will be correct regarding what we see (although i dont claim it as fact) but the dementia comment is untrue 100%, I am sure a lot of us , the majority even on this forum are impacted by that in family and know that money is not a factor when someone doesnt know who the hell they are any more

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:36 pm

rgallie wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:23 pm
rodentdog wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:51 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:24 pm
Also, I agree that no one's memory is perfect. But I' m quite sure that even person with dementia would remember selling a song which likely earned near a million dollars over the course of the years for 6k.
My mother has dementia. Some days she does'nt know me. She doesnt know what day it is or year or where she is. So I would'nt be so sure of that Mr. B
I suspect Mr.Barlow will be correct regarding what we see (although i dont claim it as fact) but the dementia comment is untrue 100%, I am sure a lot of us , the majority even on this forum are impacted by that in family and know that money is not a factor when someone doesnt know who the hell they are any more
I’m pretty sure Mr B was being flippant. My own experience of visiting my Grandmother on a dementia ward and meeting the other patients is that every case is different.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm

Wow...there is still someone left who has not been stripped of their sense of humor by the woke virus.

I also find funny that there are people on here who are huge fans of a guy who writes songs about making love to dead bodies, being raped in Mexico and who exploited the 1970s socially taboo practice of being a homosexual to gain fame and fortune are all offended by a throw away dementia joke.

By the way, my father with dementia may have forgotten jokes but he still has his sense of humor. Life is what you make it...right until the sometimes bitter end.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:19 am

Woke? Where? You have completely miss-understood the comments and used “woke” as a “throw away” criticism of others.

You’ve tried to make a point with a half baked and exaggerated idea that DW was screwed over a $6k deal when there is no evidence for it at all. You then make a comment that dementia sufferers will remember this type of fact which is simply incorrect for many and then you make a “throwaway dementia joke” which I’m still struggling to see the humour in, not because I’m woke, but because i couldn’t and still can’t see any humour there.

You were off point to begin with and end up twisting things to accuse others…a bit over sensitive yourself, I think.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:17 am

:)
del wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:19 am
Woke? Where? You have completely miss-understood the comments and used “woke” as a “throw away” criticism of others.

You’ve tried to make a point with a half baked and exaggerated idea that DW was screwed over a $6k deal when there is no evidence for it at all. You then make a comment that dementia sufferers will remember this type of fact which is simply incorrect for many and then you make a “throwaway dementia joke” which I’m still struggling to see the humour in, not because I’m woke, but because i couldn’t and still can’t see any humour there.

You were off point to begin with and end up twisting things to accuse others…a bit over sensitive yourself, I think.
Read Wagner's book and let his words speak for themself.

I find humor in dementia the same way Alice finds humor in death. It makes the sadder aspects of life easier to deal with.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:27 am

I read it and always thought the same. Half a story.

Lost my brother to cancer years ago and we both used to joke about it all the time to cope. I’ve got no problem with humour but I need to know someone is trying to be funny. Couldn’t see that here. If a joke falls flat it isn’t always the audience’s fault.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm
I also find funny that there are people on here who are huge fans of a guy who writes songs about making love to dead bodies, being raped in Mexico and who exploited the 1970s socially taboo practice of being a homosexual to gain fame and fortune are all offended by a throw away dementia joke.
And yet here you are on this site complaining what Alice did in 1973, if you don't like it leave.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:01 pm

I find humor in dementia the same way Alice finds humor in death. It makes the sadder aspects of life easier to deal with.
Anyone know a good Psychiatrist

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:40 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:17 pm
Wow...there is still someone left who has not been stripped of their sense of humor by the woke virus.

7. This message board has ONE primary rule. Do NOT flame ANYONE.
This board does NOT allow personal attacks. Posting something to the SickthingsUK Message Board which personally attacks another Message Board member, a band member or band associate, or contains profanity or any type of racial or ethnic slur may result in some crcumstances with immediate suspension of your user account. The moderators reserves the right to determine WHAT is considered objectionable.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:38 pm

Take care....been nice knowing y'all. I refuse to be a member of any Alice Cooper site that has lost its sense of dark humor.....an Alice trademark.

Enjoy talking about stuffed teddy bears, umpteenth reissues, and the company line history.

May the the future bring to you more make-up kits ( ooops..sorry those were recalled as Alice never issued an apology for going against the woke agenda), maybe another adult coloring book and who knows maybe a reunion.

Farewell and adieu to you fair spanish ladies.. ..and to everyone else no matter what gender you are today or tomorrow

Barlow

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:19 pm

I'm interested in the 'oral history' of the album, I think this is the original content of this release?

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:18 am

Just as an aside... as far as I'm aware, the cash buyout options are usually (to my knowledge) an arrangement between the individual and the record company/publisher. If there were any such 'buy-out' involving DW, I would assume it wasn't something offered by Alice himself. Happy to be corrected on this ofcourse.

I have some knowledge of this type of situation. A long term friend of mine produced a prominent UK rock band in the early 70s who went on to super stardom (I won't say who to protect the identities). He took a cash buyout in the 80s when he was strung out on coke. He simply needed quick money to satisfy his addiction and took something like £10k as a full and final settlement. If he had kept the royalty he probably would be earning more than that on an annual basis ongoing. He regrets it now of course, but it is what it is. Record companies clearly know a good deal when they see one.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBuFHIRLGo

review of the album.

Love the snakeskin textured cover - all my B$B copies are from the 70's and 80's so I've never seen a textured cover before save for thee raised circle of diamonds. This package looks real nice

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:59 am

Interesting that he says he prefers the 2001 remaster but acknowledges that this version is not as thin (which is something I've had a problem with, with this album... it can get rather tinny), so I'm happy to hear him mention the boost on the bass (which was a plus on School's Out as well). I'm going to order it based on that, if it has a bassier sound, I need to hear that.

And yeah, love seeing the packaging, I have the original album with the billion dollars and such, but it's still neat to see it replicated, the texture, etc.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:27 am

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:59 am
Interesting that he says he prefers the 2001 remaster but acknowledges that this version is not as thin (which is something I've had a problem with, with this album... it can get rather tinny), so I'm happy to hear him mention the boost on the bass (which was a plus on School's Out as well). I'm going to order it based on that, if it has a bassier sound, I need to hear that.

And yeah, love seeing the packaging, I have the original album with the billion dollars and such, but it's still neat to see it replicated, the texture, etc.
He actually say he prefers this to the 2001 master.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:12 pm

I was lucky enough to have my preordered copy turn up today.

I don't think anyone who has made the investment will be disappointed. The original album sounds great, with the bass being every bit as full and prominent as promised.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:47 pm

Brilliant night in Dallas Texas last night. Dennis is one cool dude…. Lovely fella , Cindy too. Had a real nice chat with them both . Congrats to all that were concerned, fantastic event.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:05 am

For those who have purchased this is the sound vastly superior to past releases?. I already have the live album and the rhino green lp release with all the inserts.
And while we are at it... for those who purchased the Theatre of Death lp what are your impressions on that ?
thanks

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:12 am

rodentdog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:05 am
For those who have purchased this is the sound vastly superior to past releases?. I already have the live album and the rhino green lp release with all the inserts.
And while we are at it... for those who purchased the Theatre of Death lp what are your impressions on that ?
thanks
I have it. Is the sound “vastly” superior? Are remasters ever “vastly” superior? It sounds good but then so did the original album. You’re missing the single versions and the outtakes. I used to have the 2001 cd and I could have sworn that on this version “Coal Black Model T” and “SOB$B” have better fidelity but this could very easily be a fault of memory. The Billion Dollar Babies single mix is different, not sure what the difference is with the Mary Ann version, Elected is a different mix and Hello Hooray has a rather brutal edit. With the live album you don’t have to put a 7” on after the 12” so there’s less interruption in your listening.
The packaging with the snake skin effect sleeve is cool but does seem a little delicate and the booklet is an informative and fun read. Will this be my go to now? I’ll probably still spin my 1973 original more (but it’s the first record I ever bought and I have an emotional connection to it). If I want to listen to the live album or outtakes and singles however I’d be choosing this version, but mostly for the convenience of having the music in one place rather than spread over various records of different sizes and speeds.