The 'Secret' Next Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

The 'Secret' Next Album

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:36 am

Was thinking of posting this at the start of 2024 but, since it’s so relatively quiet on here at the moment, how about some thoughts/wishes for the hush-hush new album?

Here are some of my hopes, in no particular order:

1 - A theme to the album, even a very loose one, other than a bunch of random tunes

2 – It consists of eight to ten songs only, as they did in the classic era – trim the fat and only put out the best tracks

3 – A couple of the songs are five minutes or over in length – let the old magic rip, don’t chop things down for perceived commerciality

4 – No more than one cover version, or song written by outside talent, if any at all

5 – Very few guest musicians

6 – Sleeve designed by Pacific Eye & Ear, gatefold with an inner sleeve – anything more elaborate, as a nod to the brilliant sleeves of old, would also be welcome

Looking at my hopes in black and white, it’s clear that most or all of these won’t come to pass. No harm in dreaming though.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: The 'Secret' Next Album

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:00 pm

….and it’s the original guys only 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:57 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:00 pm
The last time it was only the original guys was "Pretties for You."
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:00 pm

I'm also hoping for an artistic album cover, one that looks like it took some time and energy to create. A painting would be deliriously welcome.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:48 pm

Original songs written with the original group and Ezrin. And the only guest musicians I’d prefer to see would be guitarists to fill in for Glen.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:00 pm

Here are my responses to VinceRaven's hopes:

1. I'm flexible, but I think I would find a themed album - loose theme or more substantial - to be preferential.
2. Apparently 14 songs were recorded. I don't know if all of them will be included, but I can agree w/VR that 8-10 songs could be the better option.
3. I definitely agree that 2 songs 5+ minutes long would be good. LITD and Killer featured the longest songs of their Classic Era albums and those songs are all among the Group's best.
4. I don't think any covers should be included on the album. Maybe a 'b-side'?
5. I think Bob Ezrin didn't want any guest musicians on the album. Having a Guest - especially a famous one - could potentially detract from the purpose of the album, bringing the Originals back together under the Alice Cooper banner.
6. Regarding the sleeve, again I of course can't help but be flexible. I would potentially be fine w/ a PE&E designed sleeve.

Personally, I can't help but wonder what the album will be called what the front cover design might be.

Ted

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:07 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:57 pm
jacknifejohnny wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:00 pm
The last time it was only the original guys was "Pretties for You."
I’d settle the guy that played with The BSB’s in Danbury, Connecticut 4 years ago to take Glen’s place . For some reason his name won’t come to me atm, I’m sure someone will put me right.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:58 pm

Likely will be called "secret" just like the very thought out title of "road".
I think we'll have a cover by Photoshop.

I think the songs will be a mixed bag as usual along with a cover of some Detroit band.

I'm sure there will be a few guests and wouldn't be surprised if one is Orianthi.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she's back in the touring band. I think nita's tine with Alice has ended.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens and in all honesty this could be a wrap on his career.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:50 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:58 pm
Likely will be called "secret" just like the very thought out title of "road".
I think we'll have a cover by Photoshop.

I think the songs will be a mixed bag as usual along with a cover of some Detroit band.

I'm sure there will be a few guests and wouldn't be surprised if one is Orianthi.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she's back in the touring band. I think nita's tine with Alice has ended.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens and in all honesty this could be a wrap on his career.
Nita has already said in interviews she will be touring mostly with Alice next year. She will be doing some solo touring only when Alice is off the road. Ori is currently working on a new album and she has said in interviews will be doing a solo tour, so not trying to be rude here but that's not accurate.

Alice has also repeatedly said if he still in good health he will be touring when he is 90. In other words, barring some type of health problem he will make multiple new albums and continue to tour for years to come.

In terms of the "secret" album, Ezrin has very much set in a formula and whether one likes the formula or not that's subjective. I would love to hear a project with a new producer and something a little heavier and more modern but that's me. In terms of the album with the original band, I don't see them touring with Alice or if they do only doing a few songs on select shows. The only way you get a long run of original band stuff is if a new album was to do really really well compared to Alice's recent solo performances. Road didn't chart very well but it has gotten critically strong reviews and I have seen in several places it is a candidate for album of the year so critically it has done fine in some circles and the last few previous Alice solo albums had high debut chart numbers. It is hard to imagine in this day and age with so few people buying music that it would move the needle any.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:34 am

I wonder what the time frame will be before those involved in the project can officially talk about things ? Supposedly 14 songs were recorded a while back. I haven’t heard if that number has changed so I’m thinking it’s pretty much done except maybe for some tweaks or album art. I’d bet our Dr. Dreary friend knows but I’m not going to ask him nor would I expect him to tell until things become clearer. Still I’m really looking forward to this one.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:06 am

Honestly, the only thing I want goes without saying, and that's a damn good album. (not expecting a top 5'er, though that would be incredible, just don't be a bottom 5'er). Hoping for wonderfulness for a benchmark like this (30th studio album (OG and Solo)

But for funsies...

A return to something special for the cover, absolutely? CDs put limits on that, but it can be done, and at the least, the LP release should recall those great 70s designs and extras.

And yes, a lengthy, epic song (though after a 100 More Miles, where you really could have gone in that direction and didn't - makes me wonder if those type of productions are just not in Alice or Bob's minds anymore?)

Some tribute to Glen, not just a dedication type of deal on the inside booklet, but a musical quote of some type, something that pays homage to his style.

Oh, and open it with the "Ahhhs" and "Oooooos", they used on "Pretties" a few times on several tracks - like, open the record by recreating the first 30 seconds of "Changing Arranging", before launching into an original. That would be a kick and a nice callback to where it started.

I know, that's a lot of nostalgia in those wishes, lol. But mostly, I just want an album full of music I enjoy revisiting.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:16 pm

Artwork - All of them on blonde hair and dresses. On the sleeve, skeletons with wigs and their dresses.
Name - Old Action
Music - confusing and too many chords
No guests.

On a serious thought:

I think artwork should be somethings in the line of Dark Side of The Moon and Back In Black. Dark cover with little information, maybe it’s time for Dr. Dreary to draw ourselves a band logo (finally). Just the logo on the cover would be nice. On the sleeve, something dark but very funny and unexpected, resembling ML and the mariners thing. Maybe draw them in army clothes.
Name and theme should be connected, like School’s Out.

Musically - I like their newest stuff, GAG is very good and YAAOYF too. I hate you is okay. I think they should go for a more serious theme, humor should be more subtle. Epic long songs is a must for me.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Here is a title idea: "Dirty Diapers".

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 am

I like the releases that contain a DVD as the second disc, so hopefully the next CD will also include a bonus concert - a full one this time, and not a 'cut-down' festival appearance
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:50 am

A tour with the OG's? Sure, I'd be all for it, bet let's be realistic here. Two things at the very least;
You can't do that and say "no theatrics" because that simply doesn't fly. They don't have to take part in them, as in the old days, because Alice has a road crew who could easily play those parts.
You also can't have the OG band simply playing their own songs, they'd have to learn a few songs from Alice's solo career, or else that simply wouldn't fly either.

Those two are the most essential things if there ever would be another tour with the OG's. Not to mention the fact that most casual fans would obviously go "Who are all these old people on stage?"

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:38 pm

boy/man wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:50 am
A tour with the OG's? Sure, I'd be all for it, bet let's be realistic here. Two things at the very least;
You can't do that and say "no theatrics" because that simply doesn't fly. They don't have to take part in them, as in the old days, because Alice has a road crew who could easily play those parts.
You also can't have the OG band simply playing their own songs, they'd have to learn a few songs from Alice's solo career, or else that simply wouldn't fly either.

Those two are the most essential things if there ever would be another tour with the OG's. Not to mention the fact that most casual fans would obviously go "Who are all these old people on stage?"

But that would be the whole reason for an OG’s tour. To play their own songs. I’d love it. Sure , it could be promoted in a different way. The casual fans have had 48 years of their preference, give the OG’s fans a few months and we’ll be happy. I’d even go as far as to say…do a Sparks..Play in a small theatre and do 8 nights, with a different album being played live each show, with all the hits and a couple of band member solo efforts towards the end . Yeah, I know I’m pushing it…but I for one, would go every night

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:57 pm

If it's indeed with the ACG, some kind of track that hearkens back to Black Juju, Halo Of Flies, and Unfinished Sweet would be nice. Otherwise, just something that is not over the top, tongue in cheek, but I have a feeling we will get more in the vein of Genuine American Girl humor over the sardonic of the OG era.

Honestly don't think Ezrin and Alice have what it takes to make a true ACG album though. For one, jamming in the same room together and letting the band take riffs and allow them to evolve is a rather dead form, but always hoping for a surprise.

Also while people think a tour should result with some solo era songs, I completely disagree. If it's billed as an ACG tour, there are at least 20 songs I would like to hear from that era, and I really would not expect that many to be played. Also not expecting them to do a bigger tour than 10 or 15 shows either.

Would probably be better to set it up in a way where you get a double header of like 15 songs with the solo band, 15 with the ACG, and encore with both.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:25 pm

boy/man wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:50 am
Firstly, as has been mentioned in this Forum, a full tour by the Original Group almost certainly won't be happening. Alice has been pretty consistently touring for an indefinite no. of years while MB, DD and NS have not and they are all in their mid-seventies.

Second, there won't be any Alice solo songs played during any ACG only concert(s) that will/may take place. There is zero logic in playing even one solo song during a concert featuring the original Members only and for anyone to suggest otherwise is in my view completely out of touch with reality.

Ted

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:04 am

Would probably be better to set it up in a way where you get a double header of like 15 songs with the solo band, 15 with the ACG, and encore with both.
[/quote]

That’s 30 for the singer , I know he’s fit for his age, but that’s pushing it maybe

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:37 pm

The great thing, from what I have read, is that everyone has had an input in the writing. I was lucky to see the OGs in Glasgow where they played 5 songs at the encore. If, and it is a big IF, they tour the next album, then I would think it would be something similar, perhaps extended to seven or eight at most. But from my experience definitely worth seeing. A dream come true.