More stats anyone?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

More stats anyone?

Post by del » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:40 pm

A friend has access to a load of global stats on various platforms. Whether we like it or not, this is where it matters nowadays and there is some really interesting data there. Most interesting thing to me is the sheer breadth of countries. It doesn't matter to me if there are 50 or 50 million people in a country, its just good to see Alice has profile, even in Vanuatu!!

Spotify
Nov 5 2023 Alice Cooper Ranked in top 1% of all artists
Nov 5 2023 Reached 3.58M Spotify followers
Oct 7 2023 Poison added to Spotify Classic Rock 70s 80s 90s, Rock Classics - 70s Rock, 80s Rock, 90s Rock at no.13
Feb14 2020 Ranked within the top 1K artists
Aug 5 2018 Reached over 1M Spotify followers
Sep 13 2017 Reached over 500K Spotify followers

Apple
Feb 10 2023 Heroes Yemen Metal Chart #5.
Jan 29 2023 Killed by Love Swaziland Metal Chart #1.
Jun 27 2022 Good People Are Hard to Find Namibia Metal Chart #2.
Jul 6 2022 Rock & Roll Vanuatu Metal Chart #1.

Deezer
Apr 2 2023 School's Out Russian Federation Chart #30.
Mar 10 2023 Hello Hooray Japan Chart #4.

Pandora
Aug 21 2023 Heroes reached 100K streams on Pandora.
Jun 15 2023 Alice Cooper reached 100M total streams on Pandora.
Jun 12 2023 Escape reached 100K streams on Pandora.
Jun 12 2023 Hallowed Be My Name reached 50K streams on Pandora.
May 23 2023 Sex, Death and Money reached 100K streams on Pandora.
May 4 2023 The Black Widow reached 500K streams on Pandora.

and finally, iTunes
Aug 27 2023 I'm Always Chasing Rainbows - Denmark Rock Chart #15
Aug 26 2023 White Line Frankenstein - New Zealand Rock Chart #5
Aug 26 2023 The Big Goodbye - Ukraine Rock Chart #2
Aug 22 2023 Might As Well Be On Mars - Portugal Rock Chart #1
Jul 18 2023 New Threat (which seemed to hit the top all over the place) - Czech Republic Rock Chart #1
Jul 16 2022 Poison Papua New Guinea Rock Chart #1.
Jun 14 2023 I'm Alice - Norway Rock Chart #1
May 28 2023 Zombie Dance - Peru Rock Chart #1
May 28 2023 Six Hours - Peru Rock Chart #2
Mar 30 2023 Poison - Slovakia All Genres Chart #1
Feb 12 2023 Don’t Give Up - Luxembourg Rock Chart ranking at #4
Feb 17 2023 Life And Death Of The Party - Finland Rock Chart #1
Feb 26 2023 I'm Eighteen - Live - Romania Rock Chart #5

mr.barlow

Re: More stats anyone?

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Those charts are right out of Spinal Tap. Hilarious!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:38 pm

I think "I Love America" reached #1 in Iran last week.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:45 pm

The Chernobel charts just came in and " Nuclear Infected" is still performing strong.

Alice is #1 with a bullet in North Korea with "Generation Landslide".

And in Transexual Transylvania he has a major hit with " Genuine American girl"

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:27 pm

Maybe worth a joke or two but as I said, this is what it’s all about now. It’s evidence of popularity and ultimately its income.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:54 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:35 pm
Those charts are right out of Spinal Tap. Hilarious!
"Let's do the Time Warp" again!
Yet, this one goes to 11 !
P.S. It's a jump to the left... :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:03 pm

Looks like iTunes users in Peru had a sudden burst of great taste on May 28. Good stuff.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:20 pm

I appreciate you posting this. I am always curious to see stats on lesser known Alice albums and songs. Things like what Deep Cuts are actually getting a lot of views/listens? Also it is easy to forget that what is popular here in the United States or the UK may or may not be popular elsewhere and their opinions and passion for music is just as valid as ours.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:30 pm

Just remember with streaming its can be easily manipulated by the use of bots among other things. Also based on the population and users on the streaming sites. I'm certain that "the life and the death of the party" did not have a sudden surge as its from a nearly 40 year old nearly forgotten album. It's likely an Alice fan or group of fans having at it driving up the streams or use of bots.

Unless...that song us being used in a regional film tv show or commercial which has rekindled interest.

The same goes for most any other song/country on that list

His top two streams worldwide would be Poison and School's Out. Deep cuts would never generate massive streaming interest as Alice's hardcore fan base is not that large...thar is unless they are used in a movie, tv show or commercial...like I'm Alwayd Chasing Rainbows. That song is likely in the public domain by now which would save the producers of that film the hassle if songwriting royalties. Alice & Co would still make some small change on the performance royalties but it would be a,small amount.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 am

Don’t argue with any of that and would add a few more thoughts.

It’s increasingly possible to drill down on most of the stats to link to other activities such as tours, radio play, commercials tv appearances etc. it’s patchy for most acts still but it’s getting better by the week. Not sure which chart it was in Europe but it matched a gig, media attention and radio play. A media company can do this for you and I’m guessing there will be one in the background somewhere for Alice.

It’s possible to exclude multiple plays from the same source and therefore exclude 50 repeat streams for example. Its possible but I don’t know how often it’s done.

It’s also much more possible to identify bots in recent months but from what I’m told Spotify only goes after obvious ones so far.

The volumes in some countries are actually pretty small, potentially 100s or even dozens and only over a very short period so an an album of the week focus can result in an instant and brief spike. I was on holiday earlier in the year and a track from Marillion’s album Strange Engine was being played on a local station in Male. One of their least successful albums but the DJ had decided the track was a buried masterpiece and it was the stations “gem of the day”. Quite possible that then streamed well for a few hours and hit a chart somewhere.

The point of sharing the stats, and there is tons more available, it to show that there is activity in weird and wonderful places and that it is actually pretty good to see.

Let’s not forget a couple of other points

In the old days physical sales were also less than accurate or useful, particularly for mid size to smaller bands. An old schoolmate’s band got to the UK album chart briefly with an official count of just over 2000 copies sold. In reality it was just under 300 as the other ‘sales’ were ghosted by a couple of tricks and deals.

Another local act actually sold over 32,000 copies of a single in two weeks, just over twice the number of another act on their label and were 11 and 19 places lower in the UK chart for those weeks. Sales records were ‘accidentally” misreported for both acts. The other band got on Top of the Pops and continued to grow and the local band split.

Album sales never directly equated to popularity of the music. How many albums have you ever bought which were played once and put on the shelf? The sale shifted the vinyl but it didn’t necessarily equate to popularity. The old way wasn’t necessarily a better measure of that.

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:11 am

I haven't used the platform in a while, but back when I did, iTunes was used to buy songs and play local files. Is this still the case, or has it been integrated into other Apple platforms? I notice there's a different list of stats for Apple, which I assumed was for their streaming platform (Apple Music?) What would the iTunes stats encompass - sales, sales + streaming, or streaming alone?

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:41 pm

del wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 am
Album sales never directly equated to popularity of the music. How many albums have you ever bought which were played once and put on the shelf? The sale shifted the vinyl but it didn’t necessarily equate to popularity. The old way wasn’t necessarily a better measure of that.
I can remember one album in particular (although others got the same treatment)
"Appetite For Destruction" - G'n'R
It sounded redundant to me - channeling Late '60's/'70's riffs.
That was my opinion in '87 when it was released.
It was a true "Sleeper" (1yr.) & took a Clint Eastwood movie "The Dead Pool" ('88)
& some heavy MTV rotation to make it a Juggernaut!
I heard it in "The Dead Pool" & revisited the Lp that year & my opinion
really didn't change too much. Liked "Mr. Brownstone" even more then.
That's the one that stands out but, other Lp's may not have been heard again.
Axel's antics have always kept me from appreciating G'n'R.
I have no issues w/Slash or the other members of the band.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:44 pm

lordcatfish wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:11 am
I haven't used the platform in a while, but back when I did, iTunes was used to buy songs and play local files. Is this still the case, or has it been integrated into other Apple platforms? I notice there's a different list of stats for Apple, which I assumed was for their streaming platform (Apple Music?) What would the iTunes stats encompass - sales, sales + streaming, or streaming alone?
Apple Music streams are driven from the customers who pay the monthly subscription. As far as I know you can still stream separately from iTunes but I think it is basically a legacy app for older apple and windows users.