Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Alice's Band Mates: An Appreciation

Post by rodentdog » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:12 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:41 pm
Alice got his way to bring Kane back too. But...in the end..the final product is Shep's call.

It's all about return on investment and the safest way to maximize the return.

Alice is in no way a puppet. I don't know why this is such a surprise to people as it's been this way nearly forever.

Shep's took over nearly everything after 1985. It was mainly his money and whatever Alice had left (not much) that financed the 1986 tour.

I also was told Shep promised to guarantee any losses incurred by MCA should Constrictor been a total flop. Alice was considered a huge risk at that time and no label would touch him. Shep got the deal at MCA (partly by calling in a favor) which was a bare bones deal and with caveats. (To be clear I never got this 100% verified but heard variations of this from several people involved at the time).

After the Epic deal ended everything has been funded by Shep, Alice and Ezrin with Shep being the shot caller.
Reading through the discography here on the site helped understand a lot of this too. I did'nt know before reading it that Alice had signed a contact with Ezrin giving him control of just about everything live shows included. That Ezrin wanted the entire touring band back then fired but Alice had put his foot down over letting Chuck go. Interesting stuff.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:45 pm

rodentdog wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:12 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Alice got his way to bring Kane back too. But...in the end..the final product is Shep's call.

Alice is in no way a puppet. I don't know why this is such a surprise to people as it's been this way nearly forever.

Shep's took over nearly everything after 1985. It was mainly his money and whatever Alice had left (not much) that financed the 1986 tour.

I also was told Shep promised to guarantee any losses incurred by MCA should Constrictor been a total flop. Alice was considered a huge risk at that time and no label would touch him. Shep got the deal at MCA (partly by calling in a favor) which was a bare bones deal and with caveats. (To be clear I never got this 100% verified but heard variations of this from several people involved at the time).

After the Epic deal ended everything has been funded by Shep, Alice and Ezrin with Shep being the shot caller.
Reading through the discography here on the site helped understand a lot of this too. I did'nt know before reading it that Alice had signed a contact with Ezrin giving him control of just about everything live shows included. That Ezrin wanted the entire touring band back then fired but Alice had put his foot down over letting Chuck go. Interesting stuff.
I believe the way its always been is that the members of tge band sign up on a per tour basis. Once the tour is done your tour of duty is complete.

Also from what I've heard over the years it's very hard yo get actually fired from Alice's band. You have to really screw up or worse to get sacked.

With that being said, the band members are held to high standards and it's not an easy gig. Alice is a great boss but all involved know they are the hired help.

Alice does not like confrontation and of there is something going on he doesn't like he leaves it to others to handle. I know back in the day Joe Gannon was the "enforcer" and if Joe wanted " to buy you a drink" you knew you were about to get an earful.

Alice usually has maintained casual friendships over the years with past band members but I think the only one he became really close to is Kane.

With this album being a dud (I'm sure ezrin is none too happy--likely furious as i think he was never keen on the idea) I can see a shake up happening. How much remains to be seen.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:04 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:45 pm
With this album being a dud (I'm sure ezrin is none too happy--likely furious as i think he was never keen on the idea) I can see a shake up happening. How much remains to be seen.
In YOUR (and some others) opinion.

Personally I think it's better than the last two albums but quite a distance. It's got generally good to excellent reviews and sold okay worldwide, just not in the US it seems for some unknown reason... but as has been said before the US is no longer Alice's biggest market anyway and hasn't been for some time. And as has been repeatedly said album sales are no longer that important anyway. They aren't what brings in the money.

So I'm not sure why any changes would happen due to the album. While everyone is doing such a good job why would it?

btw Bob seemed all for the 'road' idea when he joined the Roxie "band meeting" chat along with Alice to announced it back in February 2021. If he had been against the idea it likely wouldn't have happened.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:07 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
rodentdog wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

I believe the way its always been is that the members of tge band sign up on a per tour basis. Once the tour is done your tour of duty is complete.

Also from what I've heard over the years it's very hard yo get actually fired from Alice's band. You have to really screw up or worse to get sacked.

With that being said, the band members are held to high standards and it's not an easy gig. Alice is a great boss but all involved know they are the hired help.

Alice does not like confrontation and of there is something going on he doesn't like he leaves it to others to handle. I know back in the day Joe Gannon was the "enforcer" and if Joe wanted " to buy you a drink" you knew you were about to get an earful.

Alice usually has maintained casual friendships over the years with past band members but I think the only one he became really close to is Kane.

I don't think that the new album was a dud. It has very good chart positions except the US. It has very good reviews overall.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:41 pm

rodentdog wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

sounds like compelling reading. Can you post the exact link?

As history shows, Ezrin wants who he thinks is the right man for the job, regardless of who is in the band. "Even" to the point where he brings in ghost players in established bands, with Kiss for instance.

As for Road and success, or lack of; has it done worse in the US than Paranormal? The latter has the usual Ezrin approach of getting in a rather large cast of players - but the album was hardly a smash hit in the US?
Paranormal had good chart entries in Europe, but so did Road! (I suppose we're at a point where chart entries is what we're talking about? Most classic acts' albums are gone by week 2)

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:04 pm

Si wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:04 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

Personally I think it's better than the last two albums but quite a distance. It's got generally good to excellent reviews and sold okay worldwide, just not in the US it seems for some unknown reason... but as has been said before the US is no longer Alice's biggest market anyway and hasn't been for some time. And as has been repeatedly said album sales are no longer that important anyway. They aren't what brings in the money.

So I'm not sure why any changes would happen due to the album. While everyone is doing such a good job why would it?

btw Bob seemed all for the 'road' idea when he joined the Roxie "band meeting" chat along with Alice to announced it back in February 2021. If he had been against the idea it likely wouldn't have happened.
Agreed about album sales, but this album was pushed as "the band" album. It's not exactly a smash and even met a lukewarm reception by a lot of fans (including me). All involved are likely looking at the possibility of changing things up and I'm quite sure you'll see it happen in the near future...to what extent remains to ve seen.

Everyone is each of Alice's touring bands is expected to always to a good job. It's one of the hardest gigs in the business as the band is expected to be 110% every night. I've personally heard stories from past band members as to how much is expected from them. Shep does not suffer fools gladly.

I think if it were not for Alice's age and the expense of changing personnel that there would have been many changes over the last many years when it comes to band members.

I think Nita's days with the band are nearing a close and I wouldn't be surprised if Kane comes back and runs out the rest of Alice's touring days with him.
Last edited by mr.barlow on Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:12 pm

I think Steff Burns is the most balanced guitarist Alice has ever had on his band. He can pull of really strong and agressive playing, like Dangerous Tonight (best solo ever IMO), sounding like a real animal. He can also do very tender ballads and more climatic songs, like most of TLT.
I like Kane too, Roses is an exemple of a really great song that the guitar talks to you. Some really awesome ideas on those albuns. I also love his solo work.

I like Jimmy DeGrasso, Ken Marry and Eric Singer.

On bass, I like Chuck stage presence but don’t think he has a distinct playing style.

Of course the original band is another league. Mike as a composer, Glen distinct style, Dennis is the best bass on the world, never seen anyone with such great lines. And Neal, do I need to say more?

About todays band, I thing this is the most praised and lasting touring band Alice das ever had. Anyone can see how much respect they have for the Boss, it is pretty clear they all get along very well, Nita has called Sheryl her second mom. There are lots of video on Instagram of them in Alice’s home, Chuck specially. Ryan has been in and out of the band since 95. Does anyone really think that this band is in any shape comming to and “end” or big change? I guess Nita could be going out to reach other things in her career but even that I don’t really buy. She does have a lot of side gigs already but she never really quit Alice.

It is obvious that Alice had a final say and sometimes they push for a song but it doesn’t make it to the set (Freedom being played only when Kane got back although Nita had asked for it for a long time is an exemple), but it is also obvious that Alice hears the band. Roses, TWNG, Teenage Frankenstein, Grim Facts (if my memory is to be trusted), Bed of Nails as stated already, were all pushed by the band. In the end it is a business and someone had to make a final decision that may or may not please the others, but it doesn’t seam to be in any way a hostile job as some people picture here.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:37 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:04 pm
Si wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:04 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

Agreed about album sales, but this album was pushed as "the band" album. It's not exactly a smash and even met a lukewarm reception by a lot of fans (including me). All involved are likely looking at the possibility of changing things up and I'm quite sure you'll see it happen in the near future...to what extent remains to ve seen.

Everyone is each of Alice's touring bands is expected to always to a good job. It's one of the hardest gigs in the business as the band is expected to be 110% every night. I've personally heard stories from past band members as to how much is expected from them. Shep does not suffer fools gladly.

I think if it were not for Alice's age and the expense of changing personnel that there would have been many changes over the last many years when it comes to band members.

I think Nita's days with the band are nearing a close and I wouldn't be surprised if Kane comes back and runs out the rest of Alice's touring days with him.
At least your consistent. And perhaps someday we will all be saying Mr. B was right. But who are all involved that are looking to change things up? Alice, Shep and Ezrin who just gave the touring band major song writing credits ? The band itself? And who are the fools in the current band that Shep won't tolerate? I agree Nita will be moving on should her star continue to rise as she should. But Kane looked totally out of place on the videos I saw, however I did'nt personally see one of those shows. How many shows have you been to over the last few years? Because I've been to quite a few and the band always gets great reviews. As regards to money this last show I attended the merchandise line was 3-4 people across and stretched almost all the way back to where they scanned your ticket for entrance. I was afraid it was the bathroom line! They are making money there no doubt. I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I really enjoy seeing Alice live with this band and hope to for whatever years remain.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:03 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Judging by your posts here you have hated everything in life since at least 1970ish or so, so the fact that you give the new record a "lukewarm" reception is not really a thing for anyone else but you, you know. As for the changes Alice is about million years old and he has a very good band. You are quite sure we'll see changes. Why would he bother? I am quite sure we won't.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:31 pm

Welp, were getting lost in the weeds with some of this...

Otherwise, I've enjoyed the reads when it comes to the musicians. A nice offshoot of the thread is that I'm going off and reading up on, and listening to tracks, and focusing on the player mentioned, what they brought to the table, what was distinct about them. For example...

Marcelocooper wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:12 pm
I think Steff Burns is the most balanced guitarist Alice has ever had on his band. He can pull of really strong and agressive playing, like Dangerous Tonight (best solo ever IMO), sounding like a real animal. He can also do very tender ballads and more climatic songs, like most of TLT.
Revisited several of his Alice songs, like Dangerous Tonight, My Temptation and Its Me. I was wondering if he was playing the mandolin on that one, and from the video, it looks like it (and I don't see anyone else credited to that instrument). Really pretty sound, and the electric leads compliment the tone/feel of the number quite nicely.

But I also listened to a few other songs he's performed on, a video that looks like it might have been recorded during the pandemic (since everyone is off in their own space) and he does a mean Hendrix in his cover of Little Wing. Very blusey...

https://youtu.be/8p0xH5PeNRg?si=lVaE9-NLZnqahHCZ

So, thanks for giving him a mention.

(and the rest of you too, the drummers, the bassist, etc, I've been doing a lot of deep dives on these musicians).

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:46 pm

:)
Maaki wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:03 pm
mr.barlow wrote:

Judging by your posts here you have hated everything in life since at least 1970ish or so, so the fact that you give the new record a "lukewarm" reception is not really a thing for anyone else but you, you know. As for the changes Alice is about million years old and he has a very good band. You are quite sure we'll see changes. Why would he bother? I am quite sure we won't.
The only time I really hated life is when Alice recorded No More Love At Your Convenience.

And just recently when he recorded his version of "Cherry Pie" reworked as White Line Frankenstein.

As far as changes go....we shall find out soon.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:31 pm
Welp, were getting lost in the weeds with some of this...

Speaking of lost in the weeds, I don't think I've seen it mentioned but you have our sincere condolences on the passing of little Betty .

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:27 pm

Mr B.- We at least agree on No More Love at Your Convenience. That album was definitely the worst. Not one you would want to throw on at a party with your long haired drunken friends. Would have resulted in ridicule and possibly scarring for life.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:13 pm

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:31 pm

Revisited several of his Alice songs, like Dangerous Tonight, My Temptation and Its Me. I was wondering if he was playing the mandolin on that one, and from the video, it looks like it (and I don't see anyone else credited to that instrument). Really pretty sound, and the electric leads compliment the tone/feel of the number quite nicely.

But I also listened to a few other songs he's performed on, a video that looks like it might have been recorded during the pandemic (since everyone is off in their own space) and he does a mean Hendrix in his cover of Little Wing. Very blusey...

https://youtu.be/8p0xH5PeNRg?si=lVaE9-NLZnqahHCZ

So, thanks for giving him a mention.

(and the rest of you too, the drummers, the bassist, etc, I've been doing a lot of deep dives on these musicians).
thanks for this video! that's what I love about stuff, he has a bigger range of tones and styles. Also he has a vary good melodic taste, his work on TLT is amazing. Someone who stands out on an album that has Slash, Steve Vai and Satriani, Dick Wagner and others (hey Stoopid) must be a really good musician.

I think Steve Hunter must be brought to mind too, he is usually "shadowed" by Wagner, but I really loved when he got back to the band on 2011 as a third guitarist.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:18 pm

alicefannor wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:41 pm
rodentdog wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:

sounds like compelling reading. Can you post the exact link?

As history shows, Ezrin wants who he thinks is the right man for the job, regardless of who is in the band. "Even" to the point where he brings in ghost players in established bands, with Kiss for instance.

As for Road and success, or lack of; has it done worse in the US than Paranormal? The latter has the usual Ezrin approach of getting in a rather large cast of players - but the album was hardly a smash hit in the US?
Paranormal had good chart entries in Europe, but so did Road! (I suppose we're at a point where chart entries is what we're talking about? Most classic acts' albums are gone by week 2)
Just to answer your questions and it is hard to say after Week 1 but Paranormal debuted at #32 on the Billboard Top 200 charts and Road debuted at #160. Granted charts don't mean a lot any these days but no question (Despite the fact I prefer Road to Paranormal) Paranormal had much stronger week 1 numbers and had slightly better debuts in other countries as well.

Prometheus77
Trash
Trash

Post by Prometheus77 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:09 pm

mr.barlow wrote:

At the risk of being accused of being attacking again, why the hell would that be?? They've all been doing a great job with great chemistry on stage, with the most stable line up in years. Why would any of them get sacked because, supposedly the album wasn't performing well?? If management blames them for the lack of success (and really none of the previous albums were exactly burning up the charts), it's enough to keep them away from songwriting and playing on the album (keep live and studio seperate, like what happened on previous albums) and move on. It's ridiculous to assume that the live line up will be shaken up in retaliation for the album performing poorly. Alice has been praising them up and down over the last couple of years. If that would indeed happen, then that would be another example for him being a puppet for his management (the "My stars" story doesn't really help to destroy that image, as clearly Ezrin was wrong and what Alice supposedly wanted, should have been done years ago). And let's not forget the guy turns 76 in a few months. Also I wouldn't hold my breath for Kane coming back as permanent replacement.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:52 pm

I dont remember it like that, i seem to remember bob played it down and sort of said "wait and see" (in a "alice says lots of things that never happen, lets see how he feels in a weeks time")

Steff burns is killer. his work on hey stoopid and last temptation is absolutely flawless. such attack and precision but with a real attitude. killer work.

I dearly love kane roberts and while i would love to see how he would settle in an alice touring band more suited to his style i cannot see kane coming back. the shows he did last year were the first shows he has done in decades and while he did settle down and start to sound killer, those first couple of nights were very rocky. the thing is, Kane's style doesn't work that well with the band and you could see on the vids the rest of the band didn't want anything to do with him hahaha
i don't know where all the rumors etc come from but i cant see this unit being forced apart. nita will move on because she is getting more successful. the rest dont want to upset that sort of paycheck!
Road seems polarizing - my good friend and Alice fan rated it 4 out of 10 and i rated it 6 out of 10. but to be honest i don't think the band were the issue (i think the lyrics and lyrical constraints were the issue).

Prometheus77
Trash
Trash

Post by Prometheus77 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:34 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:52 pm
i don't know where all the rumors etc come from but i cant see this unit being forced apart. nita will move on because she is getting more successful. the rest dont want to upset that sort of paycheck!
Again, I fail to see what gives you the feeling Nita will leave anytime soon. As long as she can do her own stuff on the side, she will be going with Alice. I mean, her own tours and support slots for WVH are in clubs. Even smaller places than Alice is playing. If she wanted to leave, she wouldn't have come back after Demi.

rodentdog
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by rodentdog » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:06 am

I will miss Nita if/when she goes. Prior to her joining I would catch whatever the current tour was once in the closest city to me with exceptions of seeing the Raise your fist tour twice and both legs of Dragontown. After her joining I really thought it invigorated the show and have traveled to multiple cities and states each tour. The whole well this could be the last tour Alice will do has worked for me when the wife asks why are we going to see Alice again and so soon!

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:27 am

Nita gave the band a shot in the arm.
Orianthi was more static, wheras Nita is a dynamite performer.

I hope she stays in the band, but I'm sure she gets offers from other acts, and there's bound to come a day when the paycheck will be too good to turn down.